shallow oldschool driver head?

I just acquired an old Orlimar maraging face driver from goodwill and it has a really shallow face that I like. There's something about the look at address that doesn't sit well with me though. It's almost like it has onset or looks like it does? The original Adams tightlies had the same look and I hate it. Not sure what it is exactly. Anyway what are some of the other old drivers that have a shallow face like that? I know they can be too spinny but I have way more confidence in drivers/woods with shallow faces. Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The taylormade 320 Ti retail head has a nice shallow shape, awesome sounding club as well.   If you were looking for something 460cc I would say that the g15 and g20 have a shallow look to them, alth

The Cobra Pro S had a somewhat shallow face and a nice face progression in my opinion, another couple of inexpensive options would be Taylormade 320 or 540 models.

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 

Titleist 818h1 19* (a2 surefit) Fujikura Motore TS hb 8.8
Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s400
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

How old school we talking?

I just came across one of my old drivers that could be considered old school by some, modern by others.

8.5 degree Taylor Made Tour Driver is the first thing that came to my mind reading your title. Used to love that thing. Of course, it is as narrow as it is shallow.

To compliment it you would also need the Burner 3 wd, of same era in the bag......

Cobra speed pro s. The s stands for shallow. I still have mine, I just can't hit it like I used to. But it's by far the best driver I've ever had, even if it doesn't make its way into the bag very often these days.

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

I don't know if this is further back than what you are looking to go for but, the first thing that jumped into my head was the Titleist 976R. They came out at the same time as the 975D although the success of the 975D was such that the 976R slipped into oblivion.

From memory, I think that it was about a 210cc head so absolutely tiny by any modern standard.

To be fair though, I don't think you will be able to find any modern driver which could be considered as shallow. The smallest cc head in regular production that I can think of is the 2016 Taylor Made M1 430. Head sizes now are just too big for anything to be considered shallow.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

Bridgestone J33P and J38.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5

Exotics CB2 21* 7WD                    Fujikura Ventus Red 9X
MIURA CB57 5-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

Wasn't the R580 shallow faced?

I owned one (first driver I was ever formally fitted for BTW) and seem to recall an ad saying "Shallow face technology" along the way.

Looking back that driver was also my first adventure in getting into better shafts. First one I was ever fully fitted for from grip to ground and it stayed in the bag for over three years.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

The taylormade 320 Ti retail head has a nice shallow shape, awesome sounding club as well.

If you were looking for something 460cc I would say that the g15 and g20 have a shallow look to them, although not compared to your orlimar!

I've been looking at the 320 Ti. I also grabbed an old Tmade 200 steel 3 wood at the same time as the Orlimar. It has an R-80 steel shaft in it and It felt awesome at the range yesterday! Shaft is a bit too loose but an S-90 would be about perfect. I may have the grab a 320. I like the look of those heads.

While not old school, a 13 or 15* M2 3wood fits the bill. Shallow and long as any old school driver.

This is a great suggestion. I'd think that with all the new tech a modern 3 wood isn't going to be giving up any distance to a 15-20 year old driver. Another option might be one of the mini drivers that were on the scene a couple of years ago. Get the head shape that you like but don't give up on the new technology.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Even Flow White T1100 6.0
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 712U 3 Iron Stiff Tour AD DI
Titleist T100 4-PW 6.0 Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08
Titlesist Vokey SM7 56.12 & 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

www.youtube.com/oneillgolf

The taylormade 320 Ti retail head has a nice shallow shape, awesome sounding club as well.

If you were looking for something 460cc I would say that the g15 and g20 have a shallow look to them, although not compared to your orlimar!

I loved the TM 320 that was the low profile head in the TM 300 series. It was a great driver for me back in the day.

Y'all just read my mind .... Was gonna suggest the TM 320 and 360.

My buddy had the 320.

I had the 360.

To me, the 320 was just a touch to shallow. The 360 setup perfectly. Both had great sound. Both were long in their day too.

Callaway Speed 9° Velcore Blue 6X
Callaway Apex 2H Speeder 904X
Callaway Apex 4H Speeder 904X
Miura CB301 4-5 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura CB1008 6-9 iCWT Proto 105X
 Miura HG 4606 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HG 5210 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HG 5810 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HB 6416 iCWT Proto 105X
Garage Palm Beach Stability 1.0X

Dude

Get a PING Rapture V2 .. large head but shallow profile ... very hot and forgiving

Was my gamer for quite a few years till the 2017 m2 came along

You're welcome !!!

Ping G400 Max GD Pershing 55x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

Nike Sumo2 TOUR

ugly, terrible sounding and low spin... but the face was pretty shallow for a "modern" driver

Ping G400 Max 9* Aldila Rip-X 65TX
Callaway XR Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
Taylormade M3 17* Rescue Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
Cobra Fly Z + Forged 4-PW Ping AMT 2.0 X Flex (LOL)
Wilson PMP 52,56,60
Directed Force 2.1
#vietnameeh

• 2 years later...

Hey Cardoustie,

Digging up my old thread on the Trimetal. Due to having to leave my main bag in Phoenix for a while, I had to put some backups in play and the only driver I had was this Orlimar. I've been driver it really well, but just a bit shorter than normal. How is the Rapture V2 compared to the original Rapture? I've played the original with a Fujikura E Fit-on 370 X and liked it quite well. Very LOOOONG!

Not sure what loft range your looking for but give the Taylormade Original One a try. 275cc compact head, shallow face, "modern tech". I have the 11.5* turned down to 9.5 and Im getting almost the same distance as my SIM but with MUCH more consistency and accuracy. Really makes me wonder why I even have the SIM.

Driver - ?
Fairway - ?

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4-PW Modus 125X

SW - ?

LW - ?

Putter - Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

The rapture v2 was consistently longer but like the ‘16 m2 when you flushed an OG Rapture once in a while you got some crazy long drives

Ping G400 Max GD Pershing 55x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* Blueboard 73x 

Cally Apex '16 3h 20* KK Silver 80x

Cally Apex '16 4h 23* KK Silver 80x

Srixon ZX7 5i  AD DI di 95x 

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120s
Vokey SM2 50*, SM2 TVD M 56* & 60*, SM2 64.07

Scotty GoLo 7

Rapture v1 was my all time and i

was looking at

repurchasing as a

backup to my i20!

that has a new Epic cover today!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Back in the persimmon-headed 1970s, I found a deep-faced cherry-finish driver at a small custom club shop in Oceanside, CA. For more than a decade, I played it. At the time, I normally played at public courses. When I hit drives from often chopped-up public tee boxes, the deep face gave me a big margin of error.

Eventaully it got traded in on a MacGregor MT driver with a still deeper-than-normal clubface. (I often wish I had kept the custom driver rather than trading it, as it was unique!)

I have played shallow-face FWs on occasion, but I have always preferred a deep face on drivers.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.