Does anybody miss the old Be Better Golf Youtube Show?

Bre9327

Maybe its just me but I haven't watched a video in about a year.

I miss the old videos of Monte, GG and Dana.

If you look at those videos just see how many views they have and how simple and clear the information is.

What I've seen lately is just quick tips and the "Secret" to endless swing thoughts which I just cant watch anymore.

Again, maybe its just me but Brendan still has the same swing faults since he's started his channel but their just less

pronounced.

Maybe he's just looking for other ways to improve the same swing faults and also attract a bigger audience and I can certainly understand that.

I just miss the old days.

This is not a hate post at all just a viewer who misses the old days.

Because Monte's videos with Brendan are the absolute best I would like to get Monte's opinion on this topic as well

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem Brendan has is that he’s an open-minded guy who’s good at what he does, which is to give various teachers an opportunity to present their views well. Brendan is a fan of differing ideas and has an ability to see value in opposing viewpoints. It’s great for the series, but not so great for his own swing. If he was at a buffet, on his third trip, instead of getting a plateful of that one thing that stuck out as awesome, he’d still be getting a little of everything.

I stopped watching his channel, once he started gaining some popularity it's clear he became more concerned about building his brand than about actually being better at golf.

I'd also say he's under the impression that taking so many lessons with so many instructors qualifies him as a psuedo-instructor himself,but I'm not sure if that is really the case.

The problem Brendan has is that he's an open-minded guy who's good at what he does, which is to give various teachers an opportunity to present their views well. Brendan is a fan of differing ideas and has an ability to see value in opposing viewpoints. It's great for the series, but not so great for his own swing. If he was at a buffet, on his third trip, instead of getting a plateful of that one thing that stuck out as awesome, he'd still be getting a little of everything.

Great analogy.....probably goes for a lot of us

I watched because of the Monte series of vids, beyond that I enjoyed several but also lost interest when he starting the pay for stuff - borrowing this or that from several instructors that may or may not apply to his swing certainly wasn't a recipe for telling others how to swing a golf club - just not qualified in that area and don't think he has the experience or eye from his own "ground up" learning to be doing it, but just an opinion. Certainly don't wish him any bad luck, but it just seemed to lose any cohesive purpose or identity (for me). I can't fault him for fighting the same issues over and over, my swing can be stubborn. Having said that, I should probably check it out and see how things have been recently since I haven't looked in for quite a long time.

It's part of the double edged sword of learning about the golf swing. If you're open minded you will start to listen to people who either don't know what they are talking about or it's fairly useless. But, the only way to be more discerning about golf instruction, training aids, etc. is to learn and get more experience and expose yourself to different ideas.

The reality of golf instruction is that every instructor out there is going to be wrong about certain things, no matter how much technology or how much education they acquire. If you keep learning and have an open mind, you will see in 5-10 years how you were wrong or misguided about certain aspects of the swing. It's kinda like owning tools in your garage. You acquire those tools over time and hopefully find better tools to replace old ones that didn't work as well. Any instructor that thinks they have all of the correct answers is fooling themselves. A true wise man always has more questions than answers.

RH

As others noted I stopped watching his channel once he starting offering swing analysis and somehow became an “instructor”

Wait is this for real? I remember seeing this clown’s videos a few years back. Seemed to constantly interrupt his guests, have mega add, and just generally be annoying. I sure hope no one actually pays for lessons lol.

yup, dude sold out hard. thinks he is a teaching pro and is milking the suckers who spend $1000 to attend one of his clinics. hes so stuck on this reactionary golf nonsense that he wont work with any of the previous teachers. he has a contract with tony for the "be better golf schools" and is pushing it way to hard. I cant believe people would pay him for a swing analysis. the guy had something great and sold out to the highest bidder.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

I really don't see any difference in Brendan's swing throughout his journey. I'm a firm believer that established players cannot dramatically alter their swings. You can only mould beginners at a young age. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule.

It takes a pro hundreds of hours just to ingrain a small change. How the heck can an amateur completely overhaul his swing overnight?

As others noted I stopped watching his channel once he starting offering swing analysis and somehow became an "instructor"

Wait is this for real? I remember seeing this clown's videos a few years back. Seemed to constantly interrupt his guests, have mega add, and just generally be annoying. I sure hope no one actually pays for lessons lol.

The USGA basically forced him to be an instructor. They were going to take away his amateur status from him because he dealt with golf instruction and was getting money from YouTube for his subscribers. The USGA told him that is as good as being a teacher. I think Brendon wanted to be an instructor in the long haul, but the USGA expedited that for him. He took it well, I thought it was moronic by the USGA.

RH

I really don't see any difference in Brendan's swing throughout his journey. I'm a firm believer that established players cannot dramatically alter their swings. You can only mould beginners at a young age. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule.

It takes a pro hundreds of hours just to ingrain a small change. How the heck can an amateur completely overhaul his swing overnight?

I respectfully disagree. My swing has changed more planes than a stewardess.

Here's a swing from 2016:

[media=]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7qeNCc6uM[/media]

And here's one from about 3 weeks ago.

[media=]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DjOTHs9Mt4[/media]

Here's one from May:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJvNd-n2OL0

And here's one from 2010:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOsh0EGOko

And one from 2012:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMGG1FT8lhA

As far as Brendon goes, I see him not pulling down with the left arm in transition so much and not collapsing that right arm so much. I think the issue for him is that his hand path goes too far outside...that shallows out the shaft, but the path is going to go dead left. Then he saves that dead left path by stalling his pivot, getting right lateral bend and that prevents the hands from going too much across the ball. But, it leaves little room for error. He also doesn't have any left lateral bend at the top of the swing. I think that causes the hand path to go out too much in transition.

RH

About as much as I would miss a hemorrhoid.

woah... you would miss one.

It's your hemorrhoids that ensure you have a good gas and liquid tight seal (and let you know if it's only gas that needs 'releasing'!). :taunt:

Now, problems with your hemorrhoids... oooy, vey.

Just remember this... if you end up needing surgery, you MUST find a doctor who knows/can do a stapled hemorroidectomy... and not the non stapled job.

Despite the 'ectomy' in the name, the stapled operation does NOT remove your hemorrhoids... and even better does NOT require 'open wounds' when recovering :swoon:

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

I think he's just trying to make the best of the hand he was dealt. He seems like an alright guy albeit a bit strange. When the USGA took away his am status it was like the whole purpose of his channel got smashed, I'd have loved to see him make progress with his game and try to get into some higher level amateur tournaments if only to show how difficult it can be. I do watch some of the new content but it doesn't add anything new to the whole youtube scene. Only guys who are really fresh to me are golfholics but they don't post that many vids.

The USGA basically forced him to be an instructor. They were going to take away his amateur status from him because he dealt with golf instruction and was getting money from YouTube for his subscribers. The USGA told him that is as good as being a teacher. I think Brendon wanted to be an instructor in the long haul, but the USGA expedited that for him. He took it well, I thought it was moronic by the USGA.

RH

This is info I did not know, if it was in one of his videos then I missed it. This does change what I was about to say about his channel, so thank you for this.

He kept coming up with his own instructional vids vs. just filming a lesson or doing an interview, and pretty obviously wanted to get money for his channel and have his own instructional vids, so it seems he pushed that envelope knowingly. And the USGA didn't "force" him to become an "instructor" or start charging for stuff - he could have continued on the same path as before if he wanted to. He clearly had his own goals and is pursuing them, good for him, but the alleged loss of am status really doesn't mean that much in the overall context of what he was doing with his channel. This isn't a "big bad USGA" kind of thing. In the end, he's apparently given up his am status so that's a given either way. If he has spoken about this would enjoy reading or seeing his actual take on it.

I respectfully disagree. My swing has changed more planes than a stewardess.

Here's a swing from 2016:

[media=]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o7qeNCc6uM[/media]

And here's one from about 3 weeks ago.

[media=]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DjOTHs9Mt4[/media]

Here's one from May:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJvNd-n2OL0

And here's one from 2010:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOsh0EGOko

And one from 2012:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMGG1FT8lhA

As far as Brendon goes, I see him not pulling down with the left arm in transition so much and not collapsing that right arm so much. I think the issue for him is that his hand path goes too far outside...that shallows out the shaft, but the path is going to go dead left. Then he saves that dead left path by stalling his pivot, getting right lateral bend and that prevents the hands from going too much across the ball. But, it leaves little room for error. He also doesn't have any left lateral bend at the top of the swing. I think that causes the hand path to go out too much in transition.

RH

I did say exceptions and these would be more likely found in this forum because that's where all the junkies congregate. Some may well spend more time on their swing than a tour pro :)

Some great haemorrhoid advice in this thread. Some of Be Better Golf's early explorations were interesting to watch but Brendan always seemed to be not listening even though he was.

I'm laughing because that was real hemorrhoid information I didn't know - not sure I needed to know, but doubt I'll ever forget it!

I think he's just trying to make the best of the hand he was dealt. He seems like an alright guy albeit a bit strange. When the USGA took away his am status it was like the whole purpose of his channel got smashed, I'd have loved to see him make progress with his game and try to get into some higher level amateur tournaments if only to show how difficult it can be. I do watch some of the new content but it doesn't add anything new to the whole youtube scene. Only guys who are really fresh to me are golfholics but they don't post that many vids.

They were posting lots of vids frequently for months, but last I heard they were working with a new video editor to help out with the workload. It's been about 2 weeks without a vid from them, so I'm going to assume this new editor isn't what they'd hope. But I do enjoy their vids, and they have brought a fresh look into the youtube golf scene. It is nice to see golf channel not focused on instruction, and just having fun playing the game at different courses.

As far as the Be Better Golf topic, I did enjoy lots of his old vids but I agree that filling your mind with advice from multiple instructors is going to mess you up before it helps you. Brendan started out with a great idea interviewing lots of different instructors and getting their opinions and philosophy out there, but such as life, things change. The live segments he did with Monte, and GG were great for information and I also enjoyed Monte's opinions on the sport. Does anyone remember the match Brendan was trying to put together between GG and Monte? That would've been great to see, but GG has gotten huge and I think Monte is focusing more on competing.

Another thing you have to keep in mind about these golf youtube channels is, it isn't easy, or cheap to constantly put out new content. Most of these guys have regular full time jobs, and a family at home. Brendan has traveled all across the country interviewing instructors, and playing different courses etc, and they earn fractions of a penny per view on youtube. You really can't blame the guy for trying to raise some money selling merch, hosting clinics, especially once the USGA told him no more am status. I think that ruling really made the Be Better Golf channel turn into a different direction.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

They were posting lots of vids frequently for months, but last I heard they were working with a new video editor to help out with the workload. It's been about 2 weeks without a vid from them, so I'm going to assume this new editor isn't what they'd hope. But I do enjoy their vids, and they have brought a fresh look into the youtube golf scene. It is nice to see golf channel not focused on instruction, and just having fun playing the game at different courses.

As far as the Be Better Golf topic, I did enjoy lots of his old vids but I agree that filling your mind with advice from multiple instructors is going to mess you up before it helps you. Brendan started out with a great idea interviewing lots of different instructors and getting their opinions and philosophy out there, but such as life, things change. The live segments he did with Monte, and GG were great for information and I also enjoyed Monte's opinions on the sport. Does anyone remember the match Brendan was trying to put together between GG and Monte? That would've been great to see, but GG has gotten huge and I think Monte is focusing more on competing.

Another thing you have to keep in mind about these golf youtube channels is, it isn't easy, or cheap to constantly put out new content. Most of these guys have regular full time jobs, and a family at home. Brendan has traveled all across the country interviewing instructors, and playing different courses etc, and they earn fractions of a penny per view on youtube. You really can't blame the guy for trying to raise some money selling merch, hosting clinics, especially once the USGA told him no more am status. I think that ruling really made the Be Better Golf channel turn into a different direction.

What difference did his am status make?

Can't enter some tournament as an am really doesn't matter that much - his am tournament play wasn't really an integral part of the channel. He just wanted to make more money and now is trying to do so USGA or no USGA, it doesn't dictate his content. He could still put out whatever version of his channel he wanted to.

He didn't care about losing it, he wanted to go in the direction he went as he has stated blog, etc. People were lining up and demanding lessons, according to him, he's selling vids and merchandise. His subscribership apparently wasn't generating the Youtube revenue, so went this direction and must be making some actual money, so nothing to feel sorry for him about.

He wasn't forced into it, lol.

What difference did his am status make?

Can't enter some tournament as an am really doesn't matter that much - his am tournament play wasn't really an integral part of the channel. He just wanted to make more money and now is trying to do so USGA or no USGA, it doesn't dictate his content. He could still put out whatever version of his channel he wanted to.

He didn't care about losing it, he wanted to go in the direction he went as he has stated blog, etc. People were lining up and demanding lessons, according to him, he's selling vids and merchandise. His subscribership apparently wasn't generating the Youtube revenue, so went this direction and must be making some actual money, so nothing to feel sorry for him about.

He wasn't forced into it, lol.

This was what I was going to say. I couldn’t care less if the my amateur status was revoked. He could’ve kept making the content he was. He chose to become an instructor. That’s obviously his choice, but I just don’t see what his amateur status had to do with it. I also agree that it’s a dumb move by the usga, but still don’t see how that affects whatever decision he makes.