2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Does anybody miss the old Be Better Golf Youtube Show?

Bre9327

IMO, someone should not be teaching golf unless they absolutely know what it takes to become a great golfer. Brendon, does not. He can probably only take someone so far and probably not very far.

Imagine if a 4 index player came to him and asked for help getting to scratch. Brendon is less skilled than a 4 index player and would probably be better off taking a lesson from him instead.

My overall 10 cents. "Absolutely know what it takes to become a great golfer" is kind of a wild and immeasurable qualifier for an instructor. Also what is a great golfer? Guy who got to near scratch while playing a few times a week with a family and full time job, no perceivable ultra-athleticism, and knowledge to pass along from instructors with stables of high-level players? I would like to learn how to be that. I know a lot of guys out there who would donate their sensitive left spherical organ to have that combo even if it's not what someone may perceive as being a "great golfer." I am impressed he scores as well as he does with his pukey swing. IMO I think it does more for my game to watch him slap it around the course in a couple over than watching tour pros with an immense talent disparity over me. There are tons of "instructors" of varying levels and not all of them will fit your specific needs - there are lots of PGA Professional Shirt Folders. It's on the student to understand his or her goals and decide what instructor is best. Tiger didn't like what Butch, Haney, or Foley had to say at some point, just like you or I may not like what BBG has to say. Tiger walked away from them and no one is stopping anyone from doing that with BBG if their expectations are not met, simple supply and demand.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$50 for an online lesson is nuts. I know he is in CA but people in places where commodities cost less probably can get a really good instructor for <$100 an hour in person.

Kind of surprised this thread has taken off the way it has. Lot of people feel very strongly one way or the other it seems.

I do miss the old stuff. Best IMO were the course vlogs where Bobby Lopez talked through the shot selection and execution process giving some insight into the strategy used by a (ok, ok... former) touring pro. I was hoping the recent Malaska ones would be similar but those are about 15 minutes spent on only a couple shots.

IMO, someone should not be teaching golf unless they absolutely know what it takes to become a great golfer. Brendon, does not. He can probably only take someone so far and probably not very far.

Imagine if a 4 index player came to him and asked for help getting to scratch. Brendon is less skilled than a 4 index player and would probably be better off taking a lesson from him instead.

My overall 10 cents. "Absolutely know what it takes to become a great golfer" is kind of a wild and immeasurable qualifier for an instructor. Also what is a great golfer? Guy who got to near scratch while playing a few times a week with a family and full time job, no perceivable ultra-athleticism, and knowledge to pass along from instructors with stables of high-level players? I would like to learn how to be that. I know a lot of guys out there who would donate their sensitive left spherical organ to have that combo even if it's not what someone may perceive as being a "great golfer." I am impressed he scores as well as he does with his pukey swing. IMO I think it does more for my game to watch him slap it around the course in a couple over than watching tour pros with an immense talent disparity over me. There are tons of "instructors" of varying levels and not all of them will fit your specific needs - there are lots of PGA Professional Shirt Folders. It's on the student to understand his or her goals and decide what instructor is best. Tiger didn't like what Butch, Haney, or Foley had to say at some point, just like you or I may not like what BBG has to say. Tiger walked away from them and no one is stopping anyone from doing that with BBG if their expectations are not met, simple supply and demand.

And you sir, are the target market. Spend away...

Honestly from a teaching standpoint I'm less concerned about his ability and swing. He's a low enough handicap. It's how he demonstrates certain moves when interview that shows a lack of basic understanding of what's happening. That would be my concern. He's also said he has a pretty good handle on what's important which is also concerning from a students standpoint.

Koepkas 230 yard 5 irons don't sound like this160 yard 7 iron taking off like a rocket lol

[media=]

[/media]

In the words of the great Club Pro Guy....

FLIP IT!!

https://twitter.com/...882664180305921

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Koepkas 230 yard 5 irons don't sound like this160 yard 7 iron taking off like a rocket lol

[media=]

[/media]

In the words of the great Club Pro Guy....

FLIP IT!!

https://twitter.com/...882664180305921

DRXKxeXX4AEa3Dt.jpg

7-4-7 baby! :rofl:

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Honestly from a teaching standpoint I'm less concerned about his ability and swing. He's a low enough handicap. It's how he demonstrates certain moves when interview that shows a lack of basic understanding of what's happening. That would be my concern. He's also said he has a pretty good handle on what's important which is also concerning from a students standpoint.

But wouldn't you have a problem with a teacher who can't fix his own basic swing faults (he has said he wanted to fix his takeaway idk how long ago)? Isn't that part of his ability to change/learn?

But wouldn't you have a problem with a teacher who can't fix his own basic swing faults (he has said he wanted to fix his takeaway idk how long ago)? Isn't that part of his ability to change/learn?

Yes, which is why I said when he demonstrates it's clear he doesn't know what he's trying to demonstrate. Therefore he can't fix His issues. Saying I'm less concerned about his swing is in other words if he wasn't trying to fix it.

My overall 10 cents. "Absolutely know what it takes to become a great golfer" is kind of a wild and immeasurable qualifier for an instructor. Also what is a great golfer?

A great golfer is someone who has tasted greatness in golf. They have either the index, scorecards or the trophies to prove it. They've been that guy. As an instructor, it's assumed that you've been that guy. If I took some lessons from someone and then later found out that he's never even been there I would feel like I've been frauded. Not all great players are great teachers, but all great teachers have been great players. Guys like Dan and Monte have the right to teach. They've been there. They've tasted greatness. They've earned it.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

My overall 10 cents. "Absolutely know what it takes to become a great golfer" is kind of a wild and immeasurable qualifier for an instructor. Also what is a great golfer?

A great golfer is someone who has tasted greatness in golf. They have either the index, scorecards or the trophies to prove it. They've been that guy. As an instructor, it's assumed that you've been that guy. If I took some lessons from someone and then later found out that he's never even been there I would feel like I've been frauded. Not all great players are great teachers, but all great teachers have been great players. Guys like Dan and Monte have the right to teach. They've been there. They've tasted greatness. They've earned it.

So, what are you saying about Trackman Maestreo?

There are many other channels to watch and I unsubscribed and moved on a while ago. Watching a golfer on his journey to get better and plateau then decide to teach others before he's clearly "gotten there" is a bit disingenuous and a clear money grab (which is fine, but people vote with their wallets).

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

So, what are you saying about Trackman Maestreo?

He wouldn't know anything if it weren't for that gizmo...

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

I'm never going to criticize someone for chasing their dream and pursuing their passion. Clearly he loves the game given the amount of time and effort he has put into in, long before he was charging fees for lessons. When you can make a living from something you are passionate about, it no longer becomes work. We all should be chasing that!

That said, over time, the economics of his offering will work themselves out on their own. That's the good thing about economics. If the people paying for lessons see improvements, they will come back. They will then tell their friends and they will buy lessons. If they don't see improvement, he will soon find himself with nothing to sell.

Definitely agree with the first paragraph -- but how can we be sure of the second? That's assuming that economics actually do work themselves out in the case of golf instruction, and that relies on the perception of the student.

Much like equipment manufacturers made shafts longer so that 1 out of 20 drives go longer and people are fooled by their own bias, the manufacturer's marketing, and the club's construction, someone taking a lesson with Brendon may hit a couple of great shots and think he's a good teacher even if their index or ball striking or whatever else never changes over the long run. Have that perspective add up across a clientele that knows *and already likes* Brendon as a personality from a golf show, and then what?

How does your 2nd paragraph apply to Brandon and not every other YouTube or GolfWrx teaching "sensation" without proper playing credentials? Heck, how is it different than for any other club pro for that matter? I've seen a number of "kids" at my club come out of college, get into the golf business as an assistant pro, struggle to pass the PAT, become a "PGA Professional" and start giving lessons. I've also seen a ton of PGA Professionals who can't break 85 in a sectional event.

It isn't any(/much) different than those cases you cite. I agree with your examples. I'm only talking about Brendon in the post because that's who the thread is about. But those other examples you wrote about don't invalidate my post about him.

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

• 1 month later...

Has anyone seen the most recent series Brandon did with AJ Bonnar? It’s quite possibly the worst golf instruction I’ve ever seen. The most recent video he had Brandon pulling the handle forward and hitting shanks. The whole comments section is full of people fired up to try it. What a disaster.

What I take from AJ is that you want to make the ball go faster not just the clubhead, how you going to do that? So you pre swing intention would be to take loft off the club thereby imparting a more linear force to the ball. If you leave it at that many people could work out a solution. Not for everyone but not the worst stuff I’ve seen.

Has anyone seen the most recent series Brandon did with AJ Bonnar? It’s quite possibly the worst golf instruction I’ve ever seen. The most recent video he had Brandon pulling the handle forward and hitting shanks. The whole comments section is full of people fired up to try it. What a disaster.

I think Monte has a video where he talks about Johnny Miller providing a drill for this on the telecast and then everyone on the range was shanking it the following day.

Has anyone seen the most recent series Brandon did with AJ Bonnar? It's quite possibly the worst golf instruction I've ever seen. The most recent video he had Brandon pulling the handle forward and hitting shanks. The whole comments section is full of people fired up to try it. What a disaster.

I disagree there is more than one way to hit a golf club, and Bonar is helping people play better golf, it's just not for you.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

Has anyone seen the most recent series Brandon did with AJ Bonnar? It's quite possibly the worst golf instruction I've ever seen. The most recent video he had Brandon pulling the handle forward and hitting shanks. The whole comments section is full of people fired up to try it. What a disaster.

I disagree there is more than one way to hit a golf club, and Bonar is helping people play better golf, it's just not for you.

Let me get this straight, you are suggesting hossel rockets are a way for some to be better golfers?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Let me get this straight, you are suggesting hossel rockets are a way for some to be better golfers?

Hammer the nail

This is what works for me, I don't think it will work for everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8OdJet2rM

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

I enjoy his channel. He's discussing different theories on the golf swing, then bringing in the instructors that can teach them. I personally don't take any of the lessons as a way to teach me anything, I'm set on my golf swing, it's just discussion based for me.

I think at the end of the day you just have to filter out what you want to learn, or if you just want to filter it out as something to pass the time and engage in good discussions. If you want to make it more complicated and react too much about the different business decisions he's made, then so be it. I could care less though, and the content is good for contents sake. Not much more complicated than that for me.

This is what works for me, I don't think it will work for everyone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8OdJet2rM

looks like a similar move that malaska teaches

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I enjoy his channel. He's discussing different theories on the golf swing, then bringing in the instructors that can teach them. I personally don't take any of the lessons as a way to teach me anything, I'm set on my golf swing, it's just discussion based for me.

I think at the end of the day you just have to filter out what you want to learn, or if you just want to filter it out as something to pass the time and engage in good discussions. If you want to make it more complicated and react too much about the different business decisions he's made, then so be it. I could care less though, and the content is good for contents sake. Not much more complicated than that for me.

Yep, these days i'm just watching to see if he'll ever get better.

I think his issue is that most of those teachers are teaching him the same swing he has now, upright, body pivot driven, with a roll release, but each of them want him to focus on two different aspects of it, timing and intent, but it's the same swing.

So when I look at his swing compared to when it was when he first started, it looks the same to me.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT