2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Does anybody miss the old Be Better Golf Youtube Show?

Bre9327

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Full disclosure: I know Brendon. He's a nice guy. Regardless, from a purely objective observation, I have some thoughts on a number of the weird arguments for hating on him:

Multiple instructors: His web site states his mission: "Obsessed with finding new and unique ways of getting better at golf". He's even recognized the drawbacks to investigating multiple methods and swing thoughts, himself. But it's the focus of his work and it's what drives him.

Paying to play: Golf is expensive and he has to take time off work. What's wrong with saying "I'm gonna have to decline unless you can pay my way"? He also has a family and spends a lot of time with them so if he's gonna take people up on their requests, it has to be worth it to him and his family.

Nutrition and weight: IF isn't about calorie restriction - it's entirely about timing - and plenty of people agree that IF is a healthier eating strategy regardless of your body composition. And if a guy carries his extra fat around his mid-section and says that he's planning to trim down his midsection, that's not targeted fat loss. That's simply recognizing where the extra is. He doesn't really carry any extra anywhere else so that's where he's gonna lose it.

Athleticism: He's a pretty athletic individual and I haven't a clue what any of you who don't know him have to go on to suggest otherwise. Look at his swings and his pitching motion. Very very far from being unathletic (is that a word?).

Interviewing style: He's said in comments on his channel that he appreciates the constructive feedback and is working on it. He isn't a trained journalist so I give him a lot of leeway and think he should be given some credit for trying to figure it out.

Selling out: He's monetizing his brand the best he can. That's how it works! It's not some altruistic endeavor or something. Good grief!

The hate around here is not only petty and childish, but it's uninformed and ridiculous.

Nutrition and weight: IF isn't about calorie restriction - it's entirely about timing - and plenty of people agree that IF is a healthier eating strategy regardless of your body composition. And if a guy carries his extra fat around his mid-section and says that he's planning to trim down his midsection, that's not targeted fat loss. That's simply recognizing where the extra is. He doesn't really carry any extra anywhere else so that's where he's gonna lose it.

This will be my last post in this trainwreck of a thread. If one is trying to lose fat, IF is unequivocally about restricting calories. You cannot lose fat at maintenance or a surplus. You have to be in a overall deficit to lose fat. I know all about carb cycling, etc. You cannot trick your body to lose weight. Its just not possible. You cannot serve two masters. Attempting to burn fat off of a frame that is already lacking appreciable lean mass is futile. Given his fitness videos, his methods to add strength are inefficient at best.

Well, the OP probably started this thread because he wants more Monte videos, but doesn't want to buy videos at Rebellious Golf, so he's hoping that Brendon makes more video with Monte, which is pretty ghetto.

He should just buy the videos at Rebellious Golf

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

This will be my last post in this trainwreck of a thread. If one is trying to lose fat, IF is unequivocally about restricting calories. You cannot lose fat at maintenance or a surplus. You have to be in a overall deficit to lose fat. I know all about carb cycling, etc. You cannot trick your body to lose weight. Its just not possible. You cannot serve two masters. Attempting to burn fat off of a frame that is already lacking appreciable lean mass is futile. Given his fitness videos, his methods to add strength are inefficient at best.

Science proves otherwise

Brendon is an adult that runs a for-profit golf channel and has put himself in the public eye. Criticizing his business practices and ability to teach and execute a golf swing is not bullying. It's reviewing a product. Rude and ignorant comments come with the territory.

Only fair criticism in the first few pages, which I actually agree, then just name calling, purely base on hearsay without context... none of us know his financial condition,...

I hate all you guys who say he can’t play. Very few people try to get bertter harder than I do and I can’t seem to get into the 70s no matter what I do. He’s shooting around par. That’s really good from where I sit. I’m somewhat shocked that he can do that since he seems really wild with driver at times and I’m not sure he needs driver as much as he uses it, so what I’d really like to know is whether you highly skilled players think he would score better if he put driver away.

I can understand why he can’t afford to play with everyone, but I think he possibly didn’t have a defined plan for every situation and just tried to handle the growth as best as he could. I would think he’s had plenty of income from the sale of the videos (I’ve bought every single one) but I have no idea what his expenses are. I’m certainly never going to pay to play with him but on the other hand I’ve never asked anyone who joined me for a round at my club to pay either.

I’m interested in the short game school, that guy seems really talented (to me) but I’ve been trying to use monte system for some time and seem to be making slow but steady progress.

Tl;dr

All you guys who say he can’t play must have your eyes closed when on your own courses.

I think his swing has some idiosyncrasies and like most of us, they seem hard to get rid of.

It’s silly to bash some guy who you’ve never met and can’t come here to explain or defend himself. Life’s too short. Just tell me whether he needs to put driver away or not. :)

When Brendon shoots close to par, the courses tend to have a lot of par 4’s under 400 yards and ample space off the tee. When he’s quite a bit over par, driving holes tend to be tight and/or he’s forced to hit something other than wedge with second shots into par 4’s.

He wouldn’t benefit from hitting less than driver off the tee, because he isnt particularly accurate or great with distance control with irons. Even if he found more fairways, his scoring would suffer because he’s better with a wedge from rough than a mid iron from the fairway.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

It's obvious that you are ignorant when it comes to intermittent fasting. Please don't comment on things you don't know about.

I think a simple objective review of the channel is this....

Good concept and content with him going to different instructors and interviewing them. I think he interjects and possibly believes he's better than he is and knows more than he does. Which is where all the negative aspects stem from. Overall if he keeps interview good instructors I'll watch.

I think a simple objective review of the channel is this....

Good concept and content with him going to different instructors and interviewing them. I think he interjects and possibly believes h e's better than he is and knows more than he does. Which is where all the negative aspects stem from. Overall if he keeps interview good instructors I'll watch.

TB07, I think your review of Brendon's channel is right to the point. As I said in an earlier post I did like it more in the beginning but I do still tune in from time to time.

What turned me off from his channel was when he arrogantly said he could get any manufacturer to give him clubs.

Why's this arrogant? He operates a popular golf channel on Youtube, he probably has golf companies offering him stuff.

The tone in which he said it, could have been more appreciative

10.5* Cobra LTDx Driver w/ Veylix Alpina Shaft

14.5 * Taylormade Stealth + Fairway wood w/ Veylix Rome Shaft

19.0* Callaway Rogue ST Max w/ Graphite Design Tour AD 75 shaft

4-PW Callaway Apex 21 w/ Accra steel 105g shafts

Edison Wedges w/ Accra Steel 115g shafts (49*, 54*, 59*)

SIK C-Series Pro Putter w/ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar Shaft

Brendon is not qualified to charge people for golf instruction.

With training and further experience he may be able to eventually, however his attempt to do it now is premature. He reminds me of these cryptocurrency guys on twitter trying to sell their crypto trading strategies. It is a scam that only undereducated people would fall for. Brenden has not put in the time or displayed the talent to be considered a professional.

Would you let your local gas station attendant fix your house’s electric because he once installed a subwoofer in a car?

To those trying to figure out why people are so fervently attacking him: the reason there is such a revulsion towards him and Christo is because successful charlatans are stains on the communities they target.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Brendon is in not qualified to charge people for golf instruction.

With training and further experience he may be able to eventually, however his attempt to do it now is premature. He reminds me of these cryptocurrency guys on twitter trying to sell their crypto trading strategies. It is a scam that only undereducated people would fall for. Brenden has not put in the time or displayed the talent to be considered a professional.

Would you let your local gas station attendant fix your house’s electric because he once installed a subwoofer in a car?

To those trying to figure out why people are so fervently attacking him: the reason there is such a revulsion towards him and Christo is because successful charlatans are stains on the communities they target.

Brendens path isn’t unique nor is he the first person to find online social media stardom and decide to monetize it.Whether or not his cap is legit may be up for debate, but at least his game and swing are out there for his followers. There’s been far bigger charlatan flece-jobs than Brenden who have now made it to the big show and seem to be having success.

Brendens path isn’t unique nor is he the first person to find online social media stardom and decide to monetize it.Whether or not his cap is legit may be up for debate, but at least his game and swing are out there for his followers. There’s been far bigger charlatan flece-jobs than Brenden who have now made it to the big show and seem to be having success.

Whether or not there have been other “fleece jobs” doesn’t make it any less important to protect the field and expose those who purport themselves to be something they are not to make a profit.

The same reason we all make fun of Jack Hamm is the same reason why calling Brenden out on this is important. Scale is not as relevant when the framework is built on a similar foundation of predatory exploitation of the weakest amongst us.

If he kept the channel to just highlighting voices in golf and did not deceptively use his guest pros as a slingshot to bolster his own credibility as an instructor, the resistance here would not be as unanimous. He brought these pros on as part of his quest to find answers in golf but pivoted to him being a pro. Whether that move was organic or premeditated says much about his character, but should not dim the fact that he is exceptionally unqualified in this space.

This feels like the golf instructional equivalent of a game of three card Monty.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1580770-recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3m4-driver-fitting/"][size=2]M3 Taylormade Experience[/size][/url]

Whether or not there have been other “fleece jobs” doesn’t make it any less important to protect the field and expose those who purport themselves to be something they are not to make a profit.

The same reason we all make fun of Jack Hamm is the same reason why calling Brenden out on this is important. Scale is not as relevant when the framework is built on a similar foundation of predatory exploitation of the weakest amongst us.

If he kept the channel to just highlighting voices in golf and did not deceptively use his guest pros as a slingshot to bolster his own credibility as an instructor, the resistance here would not be as unanimous. He brought these pros on as part of his quest to find answers in golf but pivoted to him being a pro. Whether that move was organic or premeditated says much about his character, but should not dim the fact that he is exceptionally unqualified in this space.

This feels like the golf instructional equivalent of a game of three card Monty.

I thought it was spelled Monte. ;)

Callaway Rogue Max LS, 10.5, Kai'li 65S
Titleist 913, 15, Diamana 95
Titleist 913HD, 18, Diamana 92HY
8-P Mizuno MP4, 3-7 MP64, C-Taper S
52-08, 58-08 Titleist SM8
Putter, Cleveland Classic #1, 34"

Would you let your local gas station attendant fix your house's electric because he once installed a subwoofer in a car?

Charlatan?!?

Where does Brendon claim to be an expert in anything? Have you looked at his web site? All the instructors and instruction that he lists are others - not himself. How is he a charlatan?

A Christo/ Brendon talk would be amazing! I dont think it could be quite as funny as their match, but even if its close, would be worth it!

Need to include Christo's instructor Dave. Now that would be a show worth watching.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I’m pretty sure Dan just tweeted yesterday that Jack Hamm is the Goat of instruction

99db992c974465995cf581eff6809837.jpg

Hahahaha

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

Would you let your local gas station attendant fix your house's electric because he once installed a subwoofer in a car?

Charlatan?!?

Where does Brendon claim to be an expert in anything? Have you looked at his web site? All the instructors and instruction that he lists are others - not himself. How is he a charlatan?

Charlatan - noun - a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud

Let me offer an analogy. Let’s say I start interviewing theoretical physicists Michio Kaku, Kip Thorne and Neil deGrasse Tyson on a stargazer YouTube channel. I do that for 2 years and at the end I apply to be a research scientist for NASA.

Do you think NASA would give me the job solely because of my YouTube channel?

Charlatan?!?

Charlatan - noun - a person falsely claiming to have a special knowledge or skill; a fraud

Let me offer an analogy. Let's say I start interviewing theoretical physicists Michio Kaku, Kip Thorne and Neil deGrasse Tyson on a stargazer YouTube channel. I do that for 2 years and at the end I apply to be a research scientist for NASA.

Do you think NASA would give me the job solely because of my YouTube channel?

Not trying to defend him or anything, but that's not quite the same thing.

He might be saying it as to teach you to "be better golf" I only hire self vetted instructors so you guys don't have to worry about wasting your money.

His site does seem to way "we will teach you" rather than "I arranged to have a pro teach you and I" type of thing, but that's possibly because he feels he's vetted out people who are charlatans so it saves you money in the long run?

https://www.bebetter...net/school.html

I doubt he's that bad at golf. There are plenty of scratch golfers in my area, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was close to it.

You are missing Gamble's point which I believe is interviewing and taking a variety of lessons doesn't necessarily make you a qualified instructor which is what Brendon is now holding himself out to be. No indications he's done the hard work to really have sorted out all that entails. If I'm not summarizing correctly then very happy to be corrected.

I imagine the market place will sort that out - he will either help students get better on balance or he won't.