Full Circle

DFS PFD

After 5-10 years of trying every high end players club on the market; PXG (0311,0311T), Miura CB 501, Titliest AP2 (710,712,716), Callaway ( X forged, X prototype, Apex Pro, Epic, Epic Pro), Ping (S57, S55, Anser 1&2), and even Mizuno (Several MP style and JPX 900 Tour), I have finally landed at the very time consuming, stroke losing, and expensive conclusion that my Nike VR Pro blades, Scott Blades, and Miura Baby blades are the best irons ever produced, with the least amount of hype and technological "advances" (read hype).

Just curious if anyone else has had this epiphany or if i can save some club ho's early in their career. If you want the actual best feeling club out there, NOTHING matches a forged muscle back blade. (sorry 0311's not even you).

FOR ME

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can confirm-the best performing irons are forged MBs. I’d stretch it to say that forged CBs are very similar and it’s up to preference.

My advice to people is to buy blades and if you can’t hit them well, start practicing. They will make you a better player and will let you know when you’re making mistakes.

Aim small, miss small. Time to take the training wheels off.

Someone better tell all those PGA and LPGA tour players that it's time to "take the training wheels off."

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Can confirm-the best performing irons are forged MBs. I’d stretch it to say that forged CBs are very similar and it’s up to preference.

My advice to people is to buy blades and if you can’t hit them well, start practicing. They will make you a better player and will let you know when you’re making mistakes.

Dumbest advice ever given on this site

Dumbest advice ever given on this site

You need to spend a little more time around here.

There is plenty of competition.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

After 5-10 years of trying every high end players club on the market; PXG (0311,0311T), Miura CB 501, Titliest AP2 (710,712,716), Callaway ( X forged, X prototype, Apex Pro, Epic, Epic Pro), Ping (S57, S55, Anser 1&2), and even Mizuno (Several MP style and JPX 900 Tour), I have finally landed at the very time consuming, stroke losing, and expensive conclusion that my Nike VR Pro blades, Scott Blades, and Miura Baby blades are the best irons ever produced, with the least amount of hype and technological "advances" (read hype).

Just curious if anyone else has had this epiphany or if i can save some club ho's early in their career. If you want the actual best feeling club out there, NOTHING matches a forged muscle back blade. (sorry 0311's not even you).

Seems to me you missed one in your Players Cavity search ...

The CB-57!!

I play Baby Blades ... AND .... I play CB-57s.

OUTSTANDING sticks!!

I had baby blades and sold them for some dumb reason or another. After experimenting with other irons, I went back to baby blades and even picked up a second set of heads. I won’t be looking for irons again.

Edit: because everyone likes complete sentences!

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

Full Circle is a great heading.

Locally, Full Circle is a recycling company. so the old becomes the New.

My pic shows the MP33 and the MP T5 wedge.

23 years ago i had the chance to buy Forged Mizuno irons from the dealer.

All my mates said NO Don't.

So i got the Pings, nice clubs, Best Sales/Service in the world!!

18 years later i got MP 52. Nice.

Bought some MP 68 also. u ha, sold em.

Bought some MP 30 ok but sold em.

Last xmas bought MP 58 the easy to hit bla bla forged forgiveness.

Even spine aligned re built regripped we just didn't get along

I effectively went backwards from my just sold J33 Cb's.

Bought some MP33 with no 9 iron. Loving them actually,

but not playing much right now.

Looking to mid 2018 when my Golf Time will improve quite a bit !!!!

I am looking at MP33 and MP 14 for the bag

If you do have a spare 9 iron MP33,(mine are the Heavy Set), let me know!!

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Nice set up. Use the same wedges and irons. There will be no disappointment once they are put in service.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

I recommend that you spend more than two months as a member before turning into a troll.

“Training wheels†team members include Jordan Speith and more than 50 percent of the winners on tour last year.... smh.

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

man.... you have big hands

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I have to admit - it had been awhile since we had a nice "blades versus CB" thread here. Subject hardly ever comes up and needs to be discussed more.

Sigh......

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Done the full circle thing many times. My ego wants to like a lot if irons that I prove and reprove I cannot hit consistently well. I always come crawling back to my PING G10 or Eye 2 irons.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Yikes, this thread became hostile in a hurry.

Sorry if my unpopular opinion offended any of you, my intention was not to trigger anyone and I am most certainly not a troll.

Unpopular shouldn't lead to unpopularity. But you know how the population can be.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Yikes, this thread became hostile in a hurry.

Sorry if my unpopular opinion offended any of you, my intention was not to trigger anyone and I am most certainly not a troll.

dont worry about it... when someone uses the LPGA as a reason to use training wheels it cannot possibly remain a serious conversation... going with that logic would have us all carrying 9 headcovers and a huge putter... and to top it off gives us a passive brag related to his membership length... good grief charlie brown..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

hodges_atx: My response about the troll was to DFS PFD with his attempt at a humorous link.

bladehunter: Passive brag about membership length? Wow, we are really reaching to try to come up with an insult.

I have to admit - it had been awhile since we had a nice "blades versus CB" thread here. Subject hardly ever comes up and needs to be discussed more.

Sigh......

... Yup, it really boils down to this.

1. Everywhere else in the world people appreciate some forgiveness, even for better players including the PGA Tour, it might mean just a little in their mid to long irons. For most Ams it is players irons to full scale SGI irons. Everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. No other sport in the world recommends using equipment that makes the game more difficult. "I use a basketball that weights twice as much as a normal ball because it makes me focus on my form and I don't just throw up wild 3 pointers"... "I still use an older small headed wood tennis racket because it forces me to concentrate and not just make wild swings and my shooting percentage improved" ... "I found a baseball bat with a much smaller barrel helps me focus and not just swing for the fences and my average has increased"... "When I play golf and use a forgiving iron I make wild swings but a smaller headed MB helps me concentrate and I hit much better shots and score better".

2. At WRX it means playing irons that look good (at address and in the bag) and feel good in the eye of the beholder. No amount of posting has ever changed one members view and I have not read a single 10-20 index MB player say "I bought into the great iron striker but poor short game mantra but finally played some more forgiving players irons (or gawd forbid SG irons) and my shots were better as well as my scores". While many play 460cc drivers, a modern ball that spins and curves much less, forgiving fairway woods and hybrids or larger and more forgiving DI's, they absolutely insist MB's are better for their game. Trying to change anyone's opinion on this is the very definition of insanity.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Play what you want. Blades aren’t hard to hit. I have the new Apex MB. 4-AW. Who cares. Play golf not hit the ball. GI spin way less and don’t allow for as good shot making.

If the clubs remotely fit you, your scores are not going change more than a couple strokes if you can put the club head remotely close to center. If you can’t we’ll play the biggest fattest iron you can. But if you have decent club head speed and somewhat coordinated, go for it. Your more likely to have one errant chip or drive effect your score than the decision to play blades lol

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

I can tell where I mishit the ball on the face even on the clunkiest of blades or cb, same goes for a high moi driver, on down the line. No amount of practice or feedback on mishits is going to make someone a natural at ball striking. Reality is most golfers are gonna need some help.

I bet you had a great time trying all of those clubs!

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Sigh......

1. Everywhere else in the world people appreciate some forgiveness, even for better players including the PGA Tour, it might mean just a little in their mid to long irons. For most Ams it is players irons to full scale SGI irons. Everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. No other sport in the world recommends using equipment that makes the game more difficult. "I use a basketball that weights twice as much as a normal ball because it makes me focus on my form and I don't just throw up wild 3 pointers"... "I still use an older small headed wood tennis racket because it forces me to concentrate and not just make wild swings and my shooting percentage improved" ... "I found a baseball bat with a much smaller barrel helps me focus and not just swing for the fences and my average has increased"... "When I play golf and use a forgiving iron I make wild swings but a smaller headed MB helps me concentrate and I hit much better shots and score better".

2. At WRX it means playing irons that look good (at address and in the bag) and feel good in the eye of the beholder. No amount of posting has ever changed one members view and I have not read a single 10-20 index MB player say "I bought into the great iron striker but poor short game mantra but finally played some more forgiving players irons (or gawd forbid SG irons) and my shots were better as well as my scores". While many play 460cc drivers, a modern ball that spins and curves much less, forgiving fairway woods and hybrids or larger and more forgiving DI's, they absolutely insist MB's are better for their game. Trying to change anyone's opinion on this is the very definition of insanity.

Following that logic, there’s no way you should be playing a Bobby Grace 6330, one of the ‘bladiest’ (and mist gorgeous) putters still on the market. You need to get that TM Spider Tour putter in the bag right away ;-). My 8813 costs me a least three shots a round so I have put a more forgiving Anser-style putter in my bag...and I am regarded as a very decent putter with a 30 putt/round average with the Cleveland Classic 1.

Seriously, no one on tour plays a blade putter anymore...you really should get that BG 6330 on BST now and put a more forgiving putter in the bag and get your logic fully lined up in the process.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I always thought it was most important to play what you enjoy. It's a game, have fun with it. There is no rule that one has to have a specific HI to play an MB.

I don't know why some folks get so bent out of shape with someone playing an MB over a CB...it's not their money, it's not their game, and what anyone else plays does not impact your game one iota.

Besides, I do think forgiveness is overrated. :-)

Sigh......

Amen. I'm always astonished as to how many posters here make club selections AND RECOMMENDATIONS TO OTHERS based on what PGA Tour players are using. Are there really that many scratch/low handicappers here? Really?

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E