What Do You Tell Your Kid After a Bad Range Session?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old is your son? Depending on his age and skill level, call it a wash. Bad sessions happen, don't cry over spilled milk. Reiterate the positives in your life, health, family, christmas season, the spirit of giving, the means to play a game for fun. Focus on the positives.

When I have a crummy ball striking day I'll go chip and putt to get the confidence back up.

Now if your son is the next Justin Thomas go hit 100000 balls til you figure it out

Titleist 913 D2 Fuji F3 Motore
Titleist 913f Aldila Phenom
Titleist 913h Diamana
714 AP2 4-W PX 5.5
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
Vokey SM4 56, 60
WITB Link

How old is your son? Depending on his age and skill level, call it a wash. Bad sessions happen, don't cry over spilled milk. Reiterate the positives in your life, health, family, christmas season, the spirit of giving, the means to play a game for fun. Focus on the positives.

When I have a crummy ball striking day I'll go chip and putt to get the confidence back up.

Now if your son is the next Justin Thomas go hit 100000 balls til you figure it out

He's 12. Thanks - that's good advice. Pretty similar to what I told him. As we left I said, "Golf is a game where everybody has a bad day once in a while. Even Tiger." He responded, "Has Justin Thomas had a bad day? Have you ever seen him have a bad day?" Me - "Well, I've seen days when he hasn't won." Haha...

Never look at a range session as good or bad. It is a range session and that is where you practice. Practice is where you work to get better. It doesn't matter if it is football, basketball, baseball, curling, golf, diving. A good practice is a good practice and a bad practice is a bad practice. Leave it at that and go home.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

If it was really bad may I suggest a scene from a movie? Make him watch the part where KC is sh**king it on the range with all the pros around. Hey, his caddie always came through for him!!! Good luck...I have 8 and 9 year old boys it is a tough job.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

And it is normal for kids not listening. Haven't been to the course to watch my kid swing a club in a couple of weeks. Went last night and this was how the conversation went.

Him: I don't understand why the ball is going to high.

Me: You are swinging too hard from the top down.

Him: No I'm not.

Him: I don't understand why I am hitting behind the ball.

Him: This new grip is killing me. I can't hit a green because of it.

Me. Maybe true, but you can't hit a green because you are swinging too hard from the top down.

Get a text from his coach after his lesson. New grip looking good. Range session went well. Went to the course and he started swinging too hard from the top down. Ball would balloon and he would hit behind the ball at times.

I just shook my head. I am not an expert, but there are certain things I can tell because I have seen him swing thousands of times. They hit middle school and you can't tell them a thing because they think they know it all. Frustrating because if they would just listen they could correct within minutes. Middle school kids will try everything they can to be right even if it means doing it wrong to try to be right.

And it is normal for kids not listening. Haven't been to the course to watch my kid swing a club in a couple of weeks. Went last night and this was how the conversation went.

Me. Maybe true, but you can't hit a green because you are swinging too hard from the top down.

Get a text from his coach after his lesson. New grip looking good. Range session went well. Went to the course and he started swinging too hard from the top down. Ball would balloon and he would hit behind the ball at times.

I just shook my head. I am not an expert, but there are certain things I can tell because I have seen him swing thousands of times. They hit middle school and you can't tell them a thing because they think they know it all. Frustrating because if they would just listen they could correct within minutes. Middle school kids will try everything they can to be right even if it means doing it wrong to try to be right.

My boy and I were on the putting green working on line and break on some big benders. Tell my son to hit it higher and softer... gives me the stink eye. Club pro comes over and says almost the exact same thing and you'd think he's hearing it from the ghost of Ben Hogan. Sometimes it's just who delivers the message.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My boy and I were on the putting green working on line and break on some big benders. Tell my son to hit it higher and softer... gives me the stink eye. Club pro comes over and says almost the exact same thing and you'd think he's hearing it from the ghost of Ben Hogan. Sometimes it's just who delivers the message.

I used to get mad. Anymore it is not worth my time. I just repeat quotes.

'Insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.'

'The heart of a fool is in his mouth, the mouth of a wise man is in his heart.'

Yep...very familiar to me. Haha!

I have a son who plays lots of AAU basketball. I say one thing, work hard and keep it fun. I leave the technical to the coaches and sparingly, away from the court, softly suggest paths to improvement.

I watch kids getting hyper analyzed on the range (commentary on every freaking swing) by well meaning parents and I want to throw up. All those kids are being tortured. Their passion murdered.

I stress work ethic and attitude and to own both. Bad session or day does not matter when they own those things.

I have a 12 yr old son that is exactly the same way. Anyone can see he's trying to swing hard from the top with his hands. When he swings with rhythm, just smothers it. Soon as I turn my head he's trying to kill it again.

I don't like to over analyze his swing and just try to give him support. Prepare him mentally letting him know he will have a lot of bad range sessions but it's a process to getting better. He also seems to play better than he practices.

I have a son who plays lots of AAU basketball. I say one thing, work hard and keep it fun. I leave the technical to the coaches and sparingly, away from the court, softly suggest paths to improvement.

I watch kids getting hyper analyzed on the range (commentary on every freaking swing) by well meaning parents and I want to throw up. All those kids are being tortured. Their passion murdered.

I stress work ethic and attitude and to own both. Bad session or day does not matter when they own those things.

I agree. I only deal with a couple technical things with my boy - things I taught him when he first started swinging a club. I rely on the teaching pro. One thing I did tell him afterward, though: "You know that Ben Hogan book I bought you, 'Five Lessons'? Go look at that again." He understood. I'll let Ben Hogan tell him his feet were out of whack, or the pro. I'm not worried about the boy's game or swing, though. Frankly, even last night several people on the range stopped practicing and sat there and just watched him hit balls- his swing is so beautiful. He always gets admirers when he's hitting balls.

And...before this thread goes off the tracks: I'm not asking about how to be your kid's swing coach - but, what kind of words of encouragement you use after walking from the range.

Don't worry, your life will get significantly easier when they hit 14, as by then they will know everything about everything. Your work will be done. :D

When mine (now 18) was going through a similar phase, reverting back to "What did your coach advise?" or something along those lines worked - and it put the onus on him to think it through / figure it out. Ultimately, he did & learned from it.

Then we'd go and get ice cream. :yes:

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

I agree. I only deal with a couple technical things with my boy - things I taught him when he first started swinging a club. I rely on the teaching pro. One thing I did tell him afterward, though: "You know that Ben Hogan book I bought you, 'Five Lessons'? Go look at that again." He understood. I'll let Ben Hogan tell him his feet were out of whack, or the pro. I'm not worried about the boy's game or swing, though. Frankly, even last night several people on the range stopped practicing and sat there and just watched him hit balls- his swing is so beautiful. He always gets admirers when he's hitting balls.

And...before this thread goes off the tracks: I'm not asking about how to be your kid's swing coach - but, what kind of words of encouragement you use after walking from the range.

You handled it perfectly, dispassionate, matter of fact. "Next time" with a smile caps it. Go grab an ice cream.

I'd remind him that range sessions are to work on what you are not good at. If you only practice what you're good at, you'll never improve where it is needed the most. Struggling at the range is unfortunately needed to improve. The best players in the world struggle at the range... intentionally.

That's where I practice my punchout from the trees and the good ol' 120 yard chunk and run.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

My boy was struggling on the driving range a little last night. How do you address that with your kiddos afterward? I tried to watch and give a little advice during but he wasn't listening (for unusual reasons I'd rather not get into).

Thanks.

My kids laugh off bad days, and always have. The simple truth is most kids are not going to be Justin Thomas nor any other pro. The best way to deal with a bad day for us is to play video games together until we’re all happy or my wife stops us from wasting the rest of the day. Then we all go out for ice cream.

My boy was struggling on the driving range a little last night. How do you address that with your kiddos afterward? I tried to watch and give a little advice during but he wasn't listening (for unusual reasons I'd rather not get into).

Thanks.

My kids laugh off bad days, and always have. The simple truth is most kids are not going to be Justin Thomas nor any other pro. The best way to deal with a bad day for us is to play video games together until we're all happy or my wife stops us from wasting the rest of the day. Then we all go out for ice cream.

Yeah. In the winter our weeknight sessions are at a big, lighted range, but the grille is closed. The first several years of range rat time with him we'd always hit the grille for fries after each session. I still think that was key in him sticking with it. I'm not one to pressure the kid into anything. But...for some reason I hate video games. Never liked them (I'm strange). The boy plays minecraft, though. That game is like crack, apparently...

Had many a bad range session in high school, college, and in two years of playing. I always tried to stay positive no matter what. Say the ball was leaking right more than normal no matter what I did. I'd work on my go to shots, the one that I can hit no matter what for me that happens to be a punch. I'll just work on punch shots, knowing that my full swing isn't up to par. OR I'd take a break for a few days just work on short game and putting, until the itch to hit balls came back. No need to reinvent the wheel, plenty of top professionals hit it bad on the range, just stay positive

Thanks.

My kids laugh off bad days, and always have. The simple truth is most kids are not going to be Justin Thomas nor any other pro. The best way to deal with a bad day for us is to play video games together until we're all happy or my wife stops us from wasting the rest of the day. Then we all go out for ice cream.

Yeah. In the winter our weeknight sessions are at a big, lighted range, but the grille is closed. The first several years of range rat time with him we'd always hit the grille for fries after each session. I still think that was key in him sticking with it. I'm not one to pressure the kid into anything. But...for some reason I hate video games. Never liked them (I'm strange). The boy plays minecraft, though. That game is like crack, apparently...

Going to the grille and watching other people while you eat is a great father son thing to do.

Yes, MineCraft is pretty addicting for them. That's the other thing we had to deal with, but it was only a passing thing for our kids. Luckily, they like real life stuff much more than virtual stuff.

Golf is like crack for many of us too. LOL.

Thanks.

Going to the grille and watching other people while you eat is a great father son thing to do.

Yes, MineCraft is pretty addicting for them. That's the other thing we had to deal with, but it was only a passing thing for our kids. Luckily, they like real life stuff much more than virtual stuff.

Golf is like crack for many of us too. LOL.

Seriously, what is Minecraft? My 12 year doesn't even know what it is.