2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Best Rain gear

chbrake

Is there a reason why Galvin Green is so difficult to find online in the USA? Was looking at all recommended retailers and couldn't find the model of jacket and pant I wanted in the USA?

Not as much distribution in the USA, and limited retail accounts. Slowly making inroads here, but it's a harder sell here. Plus, the MAP (minimum advertised price/minimum selling price) policy for US retailers is different than European retailers, and you'll pay much more from a US based GG account than you will a European one. That being said, it has started to be stocked in a limited fashion in PGA Tour Superstores.

Its quite limited... any thoughts on getting what I want at a more reasonable price? Ebay?

eBay is good price wise, but I’m not sure if you want used rain gear though- even if it’s goretex, the DWR finish (what “repels” the rain) may be long gone on used pieces. I purchased my GG jacket new on eBay and got a good deal on it.

Its quite limited... any thoughts on getting what I want at a more reasonable price? Ebay?

The most reasonable prices are usually at Euro dealers like Golfposer.com, function18.com, and/or golfsupport.com. Most have a free shipping option to the USA at a certain purchase price, which a Galvin Green piece usually meets/exceeds.

Proquip PX5 & PX6 are lifetime guarantee

I'm not sure where you looked up the warranty on ProQuip (PX6 or PX5, the models mentioned in this thread), but it's literally the first statement in the product description:

7db6bd5c1319511a2cb70794e1cfa5f1.jpg

I'm not making this stuff up. Right from ProQuip's own website. 3 year warranty on rain gear.

So not sure who/what to believe. And Kjus is a 2 year warranty, from their website as well. Love their own words: We believe our garments can be pushed to the limit and last, which is why they’re covered by two years of warranty.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

eBay is good price wise, but I’m not sure if you want used rain gear though- even if it’s goretex, the DWR finish (what “repels” the rain) may be long gone on used pieces. I purchased my GG jacket new on eBay and got a good deal on it.

Yeah I definitely wouldn't buy used rain gear on ebay. If someone washed it improperly, for example any exposure to fabric softener, the DWR is toast.

I'm not sure where you looked up the warranty on ProQuip (PX6 or PX5, the models mentioned in this thread), but it's literally the first statement in the product description:

I'm not making this stuff up. Right from ProQuip's own website. 3 year warranty on rain gear.

So not sure who/what to believe. And Kjus is a 2 year warranty, from their website as well. Love their own words: We believe our garments can be pushed to the limit and last, which is why they’re covered by two years of warranty.

Go to the individual model pages on ProQuip. PX6 and PX5, their premiere products, have always been lifetime warranty. Not real hard info to find.

Warranties don't really play a part in rain gear selection for me, as they are usually not worth the "paper" they are written on anyway, so to speak. As one poster as already said, and in one of these raingear threads I linked to in detail (on mobile now, much harder to look up and re-link to ), one of the industries biggest points of confusion is GoreTex having a "lifetime warranty". It does not, at least not from GoreTex. I even linked to where they explicitly said it's not lifetime, it's "useful life of the product", which they get to determine and is subjective. If you've worn it hard, they can said you've used the garment past it's useful life. If the DWR treatment is gone, it can be considered past it's useful life. If you do some true research on this, you can find all this info in outdoor enthusiasts gear forums, etc. You can even find Gore representatives saying it's not (nor has it even been, at least directly from Gore), a "lifetime" (as in lifetime of the owner) warranty.

Again, all of this is in much more detail in another thread I've posted in here. Some individual GoreTex using manufacturers can and do give a "lifetime warranty" on their gear (whatever that means), but that it is not through Gore. Gore only is "useful life of the product". If they determine it's past useful life, whatever that vague term means to them, you're SOL. They can (and apparently have, according to examples out there) denied warranty claims.

Go to the individual model pages on ProQuip. PX6 and PX5, their premiere products, have always been lifetime warranty. Not real hard info to find.

Warranties don't really play a part in rain gear selection for me, as they are usually not worth the "paper" they are written on anyway, so to speak. As one poster as already said, and in one of these raingear threads I linked to in detail (on mobile now, much harder to look up and re-link to ), one of the industries biggest points of confusion is GoreTex having a "lifetime warranty". It does not, at least not from GoreTex. I even linked to where they explicitly said it's not lifetime, it's "useful life of the product", which they get to determine and is subjective. If you've worn it hard, they can said you've used the garment past it's useful life. If the DWR treatment is gone, it can be considered past it's useful life. If you do some true research on this, you can find all this info in outdoor enthusiasts gear forums, etc. You can even find Gore representatives saying it's not (nor has it even been, at least directly from Gore), a "lifetime" (as in lifetime of the owner) warranty.

Again, all of this is in much more detail in another thread I've posted in here. Some individual GoreTex using manufacturers can and do give a "lifetime warranty" on their gear (whatever that means), but that it is not through Gore. Gore only is "useful life of the product". If they determine it's past useful life, whatever that vague term means to them, you're SOL. They can (and apparently have, according to examples out there) denied warranty claims.

Just expanding on this, as I found one of my original posts on the matter.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1575548-best-rain-gear/page__st__120?do=findComment&comment=17893770

Taken directly from Gore's own website. Look at the question at the bottom that I expanded:

d39f8b7c82cd21a7c91f90a28a421b1d.jpg

From Proquip usa site:

https://proquipgolfusa.com/collections/waterproof-rain-golf-gear/products/stormforce-px6-pro-jacket

Can anyone comment on the fit of the PX6 (PX5).

Is it a slimmer euro cut - a looser fit - does it run true to the listed size on the website measurements?

It's true to fit. My buddy is a 44" chest and he wears a large jacket which is fine but looks fitted. He could equally have gone with XL for a looser fit. I'm 6/3 and the sleeves on the XL are too short for me, GG seem to come up a little longer if that is a consideration.

How long are the sleeves on the px6 XL? I’m looking to order but I’m 6/5. Thanks!

Is it a slimmer euro cut - a looser fit - does it run true to the listed size on the website measurements?

It's true to fit. My buddy is a 44" chest and he wears a large jacket which is fine but looks fitted. He could equally have gone with XL for a looser fit. I'm 6/3 and the sleeves on the XL are too short for me, GG seem to come up a little longer if that is a consideration.

How long are the sleeves on the px6 XL? I’m looking to order but I’m 6/5. Thanks!

I am 6,4” and the XL is on the edge sleeve length wise. OK but another 1” would have been perfect. . For sake of comparison I wear Brooks Brothers 37” sleeve length shirts so have long-ish arms

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

From Proquip usa site:

https://proquipgolfu...-px6-pro-jacket

Is Proquip a sponsor for this site? :)

https://proquipgolfusa.com/collections/waterproof-rain-golf-gear

If so, they should fix this ^^^

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I am 6,4” and the XL is on the edge sleeve length wise. OK but another 1” would have been perfect. . For sake of comparison I wear Brooks Brothers 37” sleeve length shirts so have long-ish arms

Thanks! Could you do me a huge favor and measure the length from the armpit to the bottom of the jacket and from the armpit to the end of the sleeve? Much appreciated!

From Proquip usa site:

https://proquipgolfu...-px6-pro-jacket

Is Proquip a sponsor for this site? :)

https://proquipgolfu...-rain-golf-gear

If so, they should fix this ^^^

I still don't get what part you're not understanding. 3 years is their minimum warranty on any of their raingear. Each individual product page gives the actual warranty of that model. PX6 and PX5 clearly states it's lifetime.

I really appreciate the info posted on this thread.

If possible, can anyone provide some fitting advice for ProQuip? Going to use the GolfSupport site so returns will be a hassle from the US. I’m buying a pair of ProQuip PX6 trousers and a jacket. 44-45 inch chest and a little tubby so I figure on XL. Might be a little loose but that’s probably better than too tight.

Primary question is fit of the trousers. I have a 38 inch waist and probably need the extra large. I’m 5’11’. I have a 32 inch inseam. Normally I would go with the 33 inch but I’ve seen on other threads that the trousers fit a little long. Would a 31 inch end up being too short and drain water on my socks (in addition to looking stupid)?

Thanks.

If possible, can anyone provide some fitting advice for ProQuip? Going to use the GolfSupport site so returns will be a hassle from the US. I’m buying a pair of ProQuip PX6 trousers and a jacket. 44-45 inch chest and a little tubby so I figure on XL. Might be a little loose but that’s probably better than too tight.

Primary question is fit of the trousers. I have a 38 inch waist and probably need the extra large. I’m 5’11’. I have a 32 inch inseam. Normally I would go with the 33 inch but I’ve seen on other threads that the trousers fit a little long. Would a 31 inch end up being too short and drain water on my socks (in addition to looking stupid)?

Thanks.

I would say XL jacket is spot on. The trouser waist band is quite elasticated and you could be either a large or XL. I found the trousers to be true to length and as someone who buys a 34" inseam in regular trousers, the 33 were too short for me. I suspect you will be a tweener in pro quip but I would suggest 31" if you go extra large and 33" in large as that will impact on how long the trousers actually wear given they are not fitted.

Thanks.

I would say XL jacket is spot on. The trouser waist band is quite elasticated and you could be either a large or XL. I found the trousers to be true to length and as someone who buys a 34" inseam in regular trousers, the 33 were too short for me. I suspect you will be a tweener in pro quip but I would suggest 31" if you go extra large and 33" in large as that will impact on how long the trousers actually wear given they are not fitted.

I wear a 44 long and XL in the jacket works for me. Don’t have the pants so can’t speak to that.

Thanks! Could you do me a huge favor and measure the length from the armpit to the bottom of the jacket and from the armpit to the end of the sleeve? Much appreciated!

Sorry just saw this. Here you go:

Armpit to end of sleeve is 23” stretched taut. Armpit to bottom of jacket is 18”. Note I just realized I have a PX5 jacket not the PX6 you were referring to but I have to believe they are the same fit.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

Sorry just saw this. Here you go:

Armpit to end of sleeve is 23” stretched taut. Armpit to bottom of jacket is 18”. Note I just realized I have a PX5 jacket not the PX6 you were referring to but I have to believe they are the same fit.

Thank you! I think I’m going to go with the large. These measurements are what I need for length but I’m 41” in the chest.

I still don't get what part you're not understanding. 3 years is their minimum warranty on any of their raingear. Each individual product page gives the actual warranty of that model. PX6 and PX5 clearly states it's lifetime.

Not sure what you don't get. They have conflicting info on their website regarding the warranty on their raingear. I wasn't looking for a particular style or model, but based on the comments on this thread, I was INTERESTED in ProQuip. So I did a search on them (and Kjus) and their warranties on their products.

The link I posted above above is what showed up and it clearly states that their warranty is 3 years. Nothing that it is the "minimum" warranty or that other products may have a longer warranty. I get that you pointed to 2 products that have a "lifetime waterproof warranty". Got it.

On a parallel issue, I also want to "learn" what their material is that is a "GoreTex" killer, that is clear as mud. Not too impressed with the fact that ProQuip never says what the material is that is used in their top raingear. Probably done so that people can't cross-shop their products. As you and others pointed out, Gore has done a great job with the brand of GoreTex. Regardless of the logo on the jacket, if it is made with GoreTex, that means something to the buyer (me).

Personally, I would like to know what the material is. Proquip obviously doesn't want consumers to know. Maybe they have an exclusive on the fabric for X number of years and they just want people to buy into the ProQuip brand. I hope it works out for them. Having tried a number of different "water proof" fabrics for golf wear and being disappointed in everything BUT GoreTex, I am "skeptical" of waterproof claims from any company.

I do other outdoor activities and have needs for waterproof jackets with hoods (won't wear a hooded jacket for golf) and am genuinely interested in other brands, but am cautious when buying into a brand that is reluctant to disclose its materials, especially when it is unlikely that they developed it themselves and got the technology from somewhere else.

https://www.tested.com/science/43590-war-on-goretex/

https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best-gore-tex-alternatives-2016/

Kjus is out of the running with a 2 year warranty. May consider the top-end ProQuip if the price is right. But I am also fine with staying with GoreTex for a while since it works for me.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

ProQuip uses serveal different technologies in their rainwear lineup, to meet various consumer price points. The individual product pages have the warranty info for each model. That summary page just has the base warranty/most common warranty for all of the models.

As several people on here now know, outerwear and rainwear wear is a hobby (admittedly a bit of a weird one) of mine. I buy and test and use the s*** out of this stuff. Been in golf course operations/general management for 25 years, using this stuff, selling this stuff, and wearing it out. Buying it (for resale in the proshop), selling it, talking to manufacturers reps and executives, etc for that time. Talking directly to the people making it and selling it offers some great insight.

I run a small crew, so I'm often times out with them in the rain, etc. I use this stuff a lot. And we work so much that often times the crappy rainy days are the only days we can get out to play. So I also play golf in the pouring rain quite often. I've worn out more raingear than the average 10 golfers would wear collectively in a lifetime. I'll be glad to share any of that experience and recommendations with you if interested.

My advice, bottom line, as someone who has used and owns/owner all the major golf (and many of the non golf manufacturers) rain gear out there over the past 2 decades, we are at a point in membrane tech that ANY piece with at least a 20K waterproof rating will keep you more than dry in as hard of a rain as you want to play in. It's all perfectly waterproof and I can attest to that (as well as some of the independent testing/reviews we've both linked to). The separating factors now are stretch and breathability, where Gore has fallen behind. And it will all wear out with use, even Gore.

Long term warranties on this kind of stuff are useless for me because by the time something goes wrong with it - if anything does - I'll have long ago moved on to something else I'm interested in. Either style wise or size wise. I have had the GG pants for four seasons now and they are built like a tank.

Plus I will say this, in terms of name recognition, GG stuff really does hold a lot of value in resale. I bought my jacket on sale and sold it on the BST for way more than I thought it would go for. And thats after a few seasons of use.

When I was in St Andrews I did a lot of shopping/trying on of the higher end stuff that several of the shops had. Honestly, they are all really good. I dont think anyone on here could make me an argument that the high end GG stuff is any better or worse than the Proquip or Kjus stuff. We could argue minor little things but honestly they are all very high end products.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Hey Chris, how are the foot joy tour pants? I’m guessing nowhere near as good as some of the other stuff out there?

How does the proquip compare from a weight perspective? I really like wearing the footjoys over sweat pants or long Johns in cold weather but could use some lighter pants for summer rain when I’ll actually play. 40* and raining is stay home type of weather.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Hey Chris, how are the foot joy tour pants? I'm guessing nowhere near as good as some of the other stuff out there?

How does the proquip compare from a weight perspective? I really like wearing the footjoys over sweat pants or long Johns in cold weather but could use some lighter pants for summer rain when I'll actually play. 40* and raining is stay home type of weather.

My answer won't be too popular here, and I'm sure there will be a chorus of the usual internet exaggeration, but I sell the stuff and use the stuff and watch customers use of it...I have zero issues with the "waterproofness" of FootJoy's current membrane-containing rain gear...that would be the Hydrolite, Tour LTS, and their top of the line DryJoys Select line. I've used and owned pieces of the various current lines since introduction, and I regularly talk to the reps and other FootJoy personnel about the technical development of the gear, particularly the newest line, the Tour LTS. It's all as waterproof as any other membrane containing gear out there in my experience, and has been since all the gear has had membrane-tech added to it.

You'll see/hear a lot of (even though FJ is, I think, still the number 1 golf rain gear sold in the US) internet people saying "it's leaks as soon as you wear it" type things, or it only lasts a season, but in my experience with it, that goes back to the days that a lot of things sold as FJ "raingear" was in fact just treated with DWR (spray on water repellant) on the exterior, with no membrane on the interior. All the actual rain gear now has a membrane and sealed seams and is advertised as "100% waterproof". I've seen zero waterproofing/water entry issues since that has occurred.

I've said it before, but often times, with any membrane-tech rain gear, when wearers think they are getting wet inside from rain, it's actually the garment "wetting out", or becoming wet on the outside (the exterior fabric). If this happens, your water vapor (perspiration) cannot move through the garment, and condensates on the inside, forming water/sweat droplets, and soaks you. The exterior of any membrane containing raingear HAS to maintain it's water beading ability, and not let the exterior become soaked, or they ALL will have this happen (well...there's an exception or two like Columbia's OutDry, but..). I will say that I have noticed that MAYBE FootJoy's DWR isn't the best, so if anyone has had issues with FJ membrane waterproofs, it MIGHT be this. But DWR can be refreshed and renewed.

But, back to your specific question, my favorite/most comfortable rain pants are in fact my ProQuip PX5s, and that's out of a few different styles of Galvin Green GoreTex pants, my Under Armour GoreTexes, and my Kuhl JetStreams (close 2nd). They breathe well enough that I can wear them over pants in the winter as an additional wind proof layer when outside (work really well for this, too). They are light, and very quiet, and don't sweat me out during the summer either...but keep in mind that I'm a VERY cold natured person, and literally have goose bumps on my skin if the temperature is under 70-75 degrees Fahrenheit.

FJ pants are good too, as long as they are a model of the "100% waterproof" era that I mentioned above. My personal reasons for not choosing to use/wear FJ stuff more than I do now (I'll wear it in a pinch if I have it around) is the cut and fit of most USA based FJ items. They are a bit heavier than other brands, with the exception of HydroLite, and are cut sooooo loose and baggy. It doesn't work for me, especially in the jackets. I'm a 47-48 inch chest with a 33-34 inch waist...if I buy it large enough to fit my shoulders and chest, I can hide a hula hoop under the material at the waist. Just a very blocky cut with little taper. I need a much more fitted cut to use for golf.

Long term warranties on this kind of stuff are useless for me because by the time something goes wrong with it - if anything does - I'll have long ago moved on to something else I'm interested in. Either style wise or size wise. I have had the GG pants for four seasons now and they are built like a tank.

Plus I will say this, in terms of name recognition, GG stuff really does hold a lot of value in resale. I bought my jacket on sale and sold it on the BST for way more than I thought it would go for. And thats after a few seasons of use.

When I was in St Andrews I did a lot of shopping/trying on of the higher end stuff that several of the shops had. Honestly, they are all really good. I dont think anyone on here could make me an argument that the high end GG stuff is any better or worse than the Proquip or Kjus stuff. We could argue minor little things but honestly they are all very high end products.

Agree with this honest assessment. We usually move on to new things before stuff breaks down.

The new stretchy stuff - Kjus etc. - is a lot more quieter and comfortable than my ZR stuff from 8 years ago. Regarding use, I probably had maybe ten rounds in the rain over that period but hundreds of rainy soccer games as a soccer dad.