Best Rain gear

chbrake

> @chris975d said:

> > @RickKimbrell said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @RickKimbrell said:

> > > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > > @RickKimbrell said:

> > > > > > I guess what it comes down to for me is pretty simple.....

> > > > > > Is the rain gear you are buying "waterproof for LIFE" or simply for a few years? What does the guarantee say? If not for life, I am not buying it.

> > > > > > I bought a Macgregor GoreTex rain suit back in 1989 (could have been 90). I don't wear it to play golf anymore but I keep it in my truck in case I get caught out in the rain. Wore it 3 times this year and it kept me dry every time. Pretty good for around 20 year old stuff.

> > > > > > I bought a really nice looking Dryjoy rain jacket in the early 2000s. It was waterproof for maybe close to 2 years and then I got soaked in a golf tournament in a pouring rain. Ordered some new Zero Restriction stuff that night and been dry on the golf course ever since.

> > > > >

> > > > > Remember that GoreTex actually isn't "guaranteed/waterproof for life" in the way that most people interpret that marketing phrase. It's the "useful life of the product", which has no set time, can be 2 years or 10, and is all dependant on how much you use it. It's not the life of the buyer, as many people incorrectly assume...granted, the marketing catch phrase is worded the way it is because they know this is how people will interpret it. There is a period that can pass where GoreTex does not warranty it. You can find this out in testimonials on outdoor gear sites, and even in my own conversations with manufacturers reps of GoreTex containing apparel. It's a marketing catch phrase, nothing more. I've posted more in depth on this and even posted links in some of the rain gear threads here (maybe even in this thread). Gore alone gets to determine the warranty length as they get to say what the "useful life of the product" is, and whether you have worn it out or not. When they make that determination, there is no warranty. Again, you can find cases where they have denied warranty coverage. Now, a manufacturer can offer their own warranty above and beyond the Gore industries warranty, but not many actually do anymore.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Even so, it **** sure stays waterproof longer than anything else I have ever tried. So, why spend money on something 2 or 3 times when you can buy the best I have ever found and stick with it?

> > >

> > > I know people have their own personal anecdotes about raingear, but I've been selling it and using it in ways that golfers never would come close to, and honestly....anything with an equivalent rating to that of GoreTex (20K and up) just doesn't fail on the waterproofing side. Making something waterproof isn't rocket science anymore. I mean, even with GoreTex, you're talking about taking a teflon sheet and heat/mechanical bonding it to a thin fabric (this would be the exterior)...it's basically plastic-lined apparel. That's not hard to do. What's harder is to make something that's waterproof with a significant amount of stretch, and that can breathe. Those are where Gore have been passed by in many instances. I've owned and tried every major brand out there, GoreTex or not, and as long as it's bought from a reputable company, NONE of it has ever failed in terms of waterproofing. I've bought almost $10,000 (retail) in raingear in the past few years just buying, testing, etc...I like apparel. And been doing that for many years, so I can pretty safely say I've tried almost everything out there. I can unequivocally say that if you buy something from a stand up company with a 20K rating or more, you're not getting wet. I know of no company with 20K/25K/30K ratings where you'd have to buy "2 or 3 times"....that's just not going to happen. Now, back in the day when garments didn't specify rating, or tell you the type of tech used for water resistance...aka, membrane, DWR only, etc.. (this is where many of the FootJoy old wives tales come from..."waterproofs" that didn't use membranes), you might get something that wouldn't last in terms of keeping you dry. But today, you can even safely buy FootJoy without fear of the waterproof membrane failing..unless of course you tear/puncture it somehow, which will defeat any waterproof...even the mythical GoreTex. Talk to people in the industry that sell this stuff (including reps of companies that use GoreTex)...they will tell you how much of a great job of marketing Gore has done to spin info and dupe the common consumer into thinking that GoreTex is the only thing that can keep you dry. It's a great product, don't get me wrong. But it's not the best/end all, be all, heck, it's 40-50 year old tech. There's a reason GoreTex containing apparel costs so much...and it's not related to the tech put into it...it's the stupidly high licensing and other fees that have to be paid to Gore use it. When other companies can put that money into actual membrane and waterproofing tech advancements.

> > >

> > > Again, GoreTex is great at keeping you dry, not ever going to argue that point. I myself own plenty. But spending similar money on non-GoreTex products from reputable companies shouldn't scare anyone in the slightest...no one is going to spend GoreTex money 2 or 3 times because something fails. That's just not going to happen short of a manufacturing flaw that shows up well within the warranty period.

> >

> > Ok, so simple question(s) then....

> > Footjoy basically states they have a 2 year warranty. If they have improved their product, they still only have a 2 year warranty.

> > Tell me the best waterproof warranty of any golf rain gear you have purchased in that 10grand retail you have spent.

> > And, what was the best rain gear in terms of keeping you dry that you bought.

> > I am talking brands now...not what it is made of.

> >

>

> I will say that one thing that sucks about golf specific apparel is that we don't get nearly the choice of styling or even materials (waterproof specific) that the rest of the outdoor sporting world get. Most of those membranes/waterproof tech I mentioned above aren't in golf specific garments, and the few that are aren't frequent in number. That's one reason I don't limit myself to just "golf" manufacturers when shopping for rain gear. But, until we as customers start asking for it, it's like one employee for an apparel company told me (and that company does use GoreTex), ...golfers aren't that educated in this and don't know there are better products out there. They just buy based off of name recognition mostly. Gore has done an excellent marketing job and we pay a lot to Gore to piggy back off of the recognition they've made for that material. Golfers don't need highly breathable waterproof garments like rock climbers or other high activity sports, they are just walking, and the majority actually ride. And GoreTex is safe (Gore controls all aspects of it) and well-known. Not hard to sell.

> And heck, we (golfers) don't even get all the GoreTex products....there's Pro, Paclite Plus, ShakeDry, Active...Galvin Green is starting to do more with some of those, but most of them have been around for years...and all we have gotten during that time is basic GoreTex, and PacLite for probably 99% of all Gore based golf garments....the two oldest tech products they make.

>

> Also, just another interesting piece of info I've gathered from this being my hobby (also part of my job in golf) and talking to apparel companies and reps....the vast majority of golfers that buy rain gear never use it. Another reason we don't see much innovation or alternative materials (other than 50 year old GoreTex) brought over to our sport. Rock climbers, runners, fishermen, etc are actively using their gear in the elements, and if it doesn't perform, they vocalize that and help their garment makers bring about change. But, work in daily fee golf as I do, and ask the people that buy rain gear when the last time they used it, or if they even have...I'd say an easy 8 out of 10 that have it will give a reply such as "no way! I'm not playing in the rain". As I stare at them with a blank face, wondering why on Earth they had me order them a several hundred dollar rain suit that's done nothing but sit in their golf bag or trunk. But that response aligns with what the manufacturers are telling me, so...

I used to be one of those people who quit once it started raining (32 years ago). Or never left home if it was threatening to rain. Then I went to Myrtle Beach to play in the World Am. We got rained on and kept on playing. I was at the old Martin's Golf and Tennis that afternoon and that is where I bought the Macgregor GoreTex rain suit that is still in my truck today. I tell people who plan on going to the World Am or anyone who thinks they want to start playing in any kind of real stroke play tournament...go practice and play when it is raining.

> @chris975d said:

> > @RickKimbrell said:

> > > @chris975d said:

> > > > @RickKimbrell said:

> > > > > @chris975d said:

> > > > > > @RickKimbrell said:

> > > > > > I guess what it comes down to for me is pretty simple.....

> > > > > > Is the rain gear you are buying "waterproof for LIFE" or simply for a few years? What does the guarantee say? If not for life, I am not buying it.

> > > > > > I bought a Macgregor GoreTex rain suit back in 1989 (could have been 90). I don't wear it to play golf anymore but I keep it in my truck in case I get caught out in the rain. Wore it 3 times this year and it kept me dry every time. Pretty good for around 20 year old stuff.

> > > > > > I bought a really nice looking Dryjoy rain jacket in the early 2000s. It was waterproof for maybe close to 2 years and then I got soaked in a golf tournament in a pouring rain. Ordered some new Zero Restriction stuff that night and been dry on the golf course ever since.

> > > > >

> > > > > Remember that GoreTex actually isn't "guaranteed/waterproof for life" in the way that most people interpret that marketing phrase. It's the "useful life of the product", which has no set time, can be 2 years or 10, and is all dependant on how much you use it. It's not the life of the buyer, as many people incorrectly assume...granted, the marketing catch phrase is worded the way it is because they know this is how people will interpret it. There is a period that can pass where GoreTex does not warranty it. You can find this out in testimonials on outdoor gear sites, and even in my own conversations with manufacturers reps of GoreTex containing apparel. It's a marketing catch phrase, nothing more. I've posted more in depth on this and even posted links in some of the rain gear threads here (maybe even in this thread). Gore alone gets to determine the warranty length as they get to say what the "useful life of the product" is, and whether you have worn it out or not. When they make that determination, there is no warranty. Again, you can find cases where they have denied warranty coverage. Now, a manufacturer can offer their own warranty above and beyond the Gore industries warranty, but not many actually do anymore.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Even so, it **** sure stays waterproof longer than anything else I have ever tried. So, why spend money on something 2 or 3 times when you can buy the best I have ever found and stick with it?

> > >

> > > I know people have their own personal anecdotes about raingear, but I've been selling it and using it in ways that golfers never would come close to, and honestly....anything with an equivalent rating to that of GoreTex (20K and up) just doesn't fail on the waterproofing side. Making something waterproof isn't rocket science anymore. I mean, even with GoreTex, you're talking about taking a teflon sheet and heat/mechanical bonding it to a thin fabric (this would be the exterior)...it's basically plastic-lined apparel. That's not hard to do. What's harder is to make something that's waterproof with a significant amount of stretch, and that can breathe. Those are where Gore have been passed by in many instances. I've owned and tried every major brand out there, GoreTex or not, and as long as it's bought from a reputable company, NONE of it has ever failed in terms of waterproofing. I've bought almost $10,000 (retail) in raingear in the past few years just buying, testing, etc...I like apparel. And been doing that for many years, so I can pretty safely say I've tried almost everything out there. I can unequivocally say that if you buy something from a stand up company with a 20K rating or more, you're not getting wet. I know of no company with 20K/25K/30K ratings where you'd have to buy "2 or 3 times"....that's just not going to happen. Now, back in the day when garments didn't specify rating, or tell you the type of tech used for water resistance...aka, membrane, DWR only, etc.. (this is where many of the FootJoy old wives tales come from..."waterproofs" that didn't use membranes), you might get something that wouldn't last in terms of keeping you dry. But today, you can even safely buy FootJoy without fear of the waterproof membrane failing..unless of course you tear/puncture it somehow, which will defeat any waterproof...even the mythical GoreTex. Talk to people in the industry that sell this stuff (including reps of companies that use GoreTex)...they will tell you how much of a great job of marketing Gore has done to spin info and dupe the common consumer into thinking that GoreTex is the only thing that can keep you dry. It's a great product, don't get me wrong. But it's not the best/end all, be all, heck, it's 40-50 year old tech. There's a reason GoreTex containing apparel costs so much...and it's not related to the tech put into it...it's the stupidly high licensing and other fees that have to be paid to Gore use it. When other companies can put that money into actual membrane and waterproofing tech advancements.

> > >

> > > Again, GoreTex is great at keeping you dry, not ever going to argue that point. I myself own plenty. But spending similar money on non-GoreTex products from reputable companies shouldn't scare anyone in the slightest...no one is going to spend GoreTex money 2 or 3 times because something fails. That's just not going to happen short of a manufacturing flaw that shows up well within the warranty period.

> >

> > Ok, so simple question(s) then....

> > Footjoy basically states they have a 2 year warranty. If they have improved their product, they still only have a 2 year warranty.

> > Tell me the best waterproof warranty of any golf rain gear you have purchased in that 10grand retail you have spent.

> > And, what was the best rain gear in terms of keeping you dry that you bought.

> > I am talking brands now...not what it is made of.

> >

>

> Well...I guess I can try to answer those questions, even though I don't necessarily shop for rain gear solely by "brand", as I do look at the waterproofing tech that it uses just as much as brand, if not more so.

>

> As far as "longest warranty" on golf specific rain gear, for whatever that's worth...I don't look for rain gear based off of warranty either, as all warranties can have loopholes that let them off the hook...prime example again is Gore's own "guarantee", would be I guess ProQuip's lifetime guarantee on the PX5/PX6 stuff, and Zero Restriction's lifetime on the GoreTex stuff (if they still do that, I'm not sure if they do...they are a company that is moving away from Gore more and more, as now their top of the line/most expensive jacket and pants are not GoreTex). If you move outside of golf specific rain gear, where there's honestly a lot wider variety of choices, styles, and tech, I'd say it would be Arc'Teryx and Patagonia. I've never heard or experienced anything but amazing service from those companies. Again, I couldn't care less about the warranty length when buying rain gear, as I've already done the homework on the type of waterproofing and materials it uses, and if the company is known to have great customer service in general.

>

> When it comes to best at keeping me dry, honestly, as I stated before, there are MANY brands and materials that have never let me down.

>

> Brands: Kjus, Kuhl, Arc'Teryx, North Face, FootJoy (membrane using garments), Zero Restriction, Columbia OutDry, all GoreTex using brands (Galvin Green, Zero Restriction, Adidas, Under Armour, etc), PING, I could list more.

>

> Materials: eVent, NeoShell, Toray fabrics (Derzimax...used in Kjus' higher end lines), Pertex Shield variants, Columbia Omni-Dry, again, there are more, and many manufacturers use some of the above named techs without licensing, meaning it will not have these names on the garment.

>

> In the past 10-12 years, I've only had two garments fail me and let water through the actual garment...an Under Armour 2-layer "proprietary" waterproofing tech that had no specified warranty period, yet they replaced it for me no questions asked 2-3 years into ownership, and the Kjus Dexter when using it in more rain than it was designed to handle apparently. This one was honestly kind of hard not to expect, as there is no fabric currently on the market that thin and lightweight that can withstand a lot of rain. And despite the internet old wives tales, and something that may come as a shock to some members on here, I've NEVER had a FootJoy truly waterproof garment fail. I'm talking membrane-containing jacket/pants. Nor have any of my customers, and I've sold 75 or so jackets over the past several years that they have been all membrane-based.

>

>

Thanks for the info.

I hear you. I’m on the golf team at my club and if a tournament is scheduled you play or forfeit (unless lightning stops play). This way your rain gear is actually being tested (vs just used to get you back to the clubhouse without getting wet). Then you learn real quick what works and what doesn’t. And that includes longevity of a product. Like you I also have an old McGregor Tourney Goretex rain suit that’s at least 20 years old and still protects (though quite frayed and sad looking). My current Zero Restriction Goretex suits do the job and fit great.

I'm very late to this thread, but I agree with what appears to be the consensus. The only rain gear that is guaranteed to work and be breathable is Gore-Tex. The fabric is inherently hydrophobic and weaved tightly enough that no liquid water molecules can pass through it. It's breathable because of this weave as well. The weave is loose enough that water vapor and air can pass through. Other 'waterproof' materials don't have this ability.

Something that I am curious about, but don't know the answer to is how long the waterproof coating on a gore-tex jacket will last. Since gore-tex can become saturated (but still not let water through), jackets are coated with a water proofing spray as well as just being made from the gore-tex material. If gore-tex becomes saturated, it loses its breathability which results in people feeling like their gear is failing when in actuality it's just their own sweat that has become trapped inside.

> @jwortsman said:

> If you're a big boy, like me, Kjus has the 3L in Gray for $199 right now. Size 58 only, which best as I can tell is equivalent to an XL/XXL

Man, I need the Pro 3L in size 50 on sale, gotta keep my eye out...

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
Titleist TSR2 3-4 Hybrids
PXG Gen3 P, Nippon NS Pro
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

> @Shades234 said:

> I'm very late to this thread, but I agree with what appears to be the consensus. The only rain gear that is guaranteed to work and be breathable is Gore-Tex. The fabric is inherently hydrophobic and weaved tightly enough that no liquid water molecules can pass through it. It's breathable because of this weave as well. The weave is loose enough that water vapor and air can pass through. Other 'waterproof' materials don't have this ability.

>

> Something that I am curious about, but don't know the answer to is how long the waterproof coating on a gore-tex jacket will last. Since gore-tex can become saturated (but still not let water through), jackets are coated with a water proofing spray as well as just being made from the gore-tex material. If gore-tex becomes saturated, it loses its breathability which results in people feeling like their gear is failing when in actuality it's just their own sweat that has become trapped inside.

Bro did you read any of @chris975d 's posts? There are lots of options for fabrics that will keep you dry.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

> @Shades234 said:

> I'm very late to this thread, but I agree with what appears to be the consensus. The only rain gear that is guaranteed to work and be breathable is Gore-Tex. The fabric is inherently hydrophobic and weaved tightly enough that no liquid water molecules can pass through it. It's breathable because of this weave as well. The weave is loose enough that water vapor and air can pass through. Other 'waterproof' materials don't have this ability.

>

> Something that I am curious about, but don't know the answer to is how long the waterproof coating on a gore-tex jacket will last. Since gore-tex can become saturated (but still not let water through), jackets are coated with a water proofing spray as well as just being made from the gore-tex material. If gore-tex becomes saturated, it loses its breathability which results in people feeling like their gear is failing when in actuality it's just their own sweat that has become trapped inside.

The water "proof" part of GoreTex isn't woven at all. It's literally a Teflon/PTFE membrane/sheet with microscopic pores that's bonded to the back of the face fabric. To put it into VERY rough terms/layman's terms, it's like melting a plastic sheet to the inside of an otherwise normal garment. Again, that's a very basic description of what it is, but the basics are there. Face fabric is treated with DWR to stop "wetting out", which is the phenomenon that you were speaking of.

A waterproofing tech that is more like what you described (woven web-like structure that lets moisture through but keeps rain out) is AscentShell, that I think is still used exclusively by Outdoor Research. It's a ridiculously breathable and stretchy waterproof material made for very active use-cases.

> @chbrake said:

> I'm in the market for some new rain gear. Who has what and what do you like/don't like about it? Thanks for the help!

>

>

>

> Clint

Raingear

In pants

* Waterproof so Goretex

* Double or triple sown seems

* Pockets, and pass threws

* Zippered legs

* Loops for a real belt

* A lining

* Quiet.

* Zippers in the fly are nice

Most importantly I like suspenders as a fat guy they are the deal breaker... Rain pants slip and slip and slip off of your stomach then then drag get dirty and eventually tear at the bottom.

> @"Brick Tamland" said:

> > @jwortsman said:

> > If you're a big boy, like me, Kjus has the 3L in Gray for $199 right now. Size 58 only, which best as I can tell is equivalent to an XL/XXL

> Man, I need the Pro 3L in size 50 on sale, gotta keep my eye out...

>

I got mine here, I’m pretty sure they are a Kjus official clearance house. Certainly no problems with the jacket or pants I bought from them. You’ll need to use your Google translator though. They do sell on eBay too.

https://www.golf-for-life.at/produkt/kjus-men-pro-3l-jacket-regenjacke-herren/

• Like 1

> @Joelsim said:

> I got mine here, I’m pretty sure they are a Kjus official clearance house. Certainly no problems with the jacket or pants I bought from them. You’ll need to use your Google translator though. They do sell on eBay too.

>

> https://www.golf-for-life.at/produkt/kjus-men-pro-3l-jacket-regenjacke-herren/

>

Thanks for the heads up! I had seen them on eBay selling the jacket for $299, but if I'm doing the conversion right from Euros to USD it's only about $200 on the site.

Titleist TSR3
Titleist TSR2 3 Wood
PXG Sugar Daddy 54/60
Scotty GoLo

> @"Brick Tamland" said:

> > @Joelsim said:

> > I got mine here, I’m pretty sure they are a Kjus official clearance house. Certainly no problems with the jacket or pants I bought from them. You’ll need to use your Google translator though. They do sell on eBay too.

> >

> > https://www.golf-for-life.at/produkt/kjus-men-pro-3l-jacket-regenjacke-herren/

> >

> Thanks for the heads up! I had seen them on eBay selling the jacket for $299, but if I'm doing the conversion right from Euros to USD it's only about $200 on the site.

>

That website is probably legit, but I would be VERY cautious about buying any Kjus products on eBay, especially from overseas. Kjus fakes/knockoffs do exist, and with the limited exposure that most US-based customers have to Kjus (very few places anyone can go lay hands on legit Kjus garments), it would be especially easy to buy knock-offs and not know it.

> @chris975d said:

> > @"Brick Tamland" said:

> > > @Joelsim said:

> > > I got mine here, I’m pretty sure they are a Kjus official clearance house. Certainly no problems with the jacket or pants I bought from them. You’ll need to use your Google translator though. They do sell on eBay too.

> > >

> > > https://www.golf-for-life.at/produkt/kjus-men-pro-3l-jacket-regenjacke-herren/

> > >

> > Thanks for the heads up! I had seen them on eBay selling the jacket for $299, but if I'm doing the conversion right from Euros to USD it's only about $200 on the site.

> >

>

> That website is probably legit, but I would be VERY cautious about buying any Kjus products on eBay, especially from overseas. Kjus fakes/knockoffs do exist, and with the limited exposure that most US-based customers have to Kjus (very few places anyone can go lay hands on legit Kjus garments), it would be especially easy to buy knock-offs and not know it.

They are legit, I have loads of Kjus kit, some from there, some from other places including a lot from Kjus itself. Their eBay shop mirrors what they have on the website. As I mentioned it’s last season’s not current, so it’s not the Pro 3L that was released two months ago, it’s the 2018 model.

> @Joelsim said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @"Brick Tamland" said:

> > > > @Joelsim said:

> > > > I got mine here, I’m pretty sure they are a Kjus official clearance house. Certainly no problems with the jacket or pants I bought from them. You’ll need to use your Google translator though. They do sell on eBay too.

> > > >

> > > > https://www.golf-for-life.at/produkt/kjus-men-pro-3l-jacket-regenjacke-herren/

> > > >

> > > Thanks for the heads up! I had seen them on eBay selling the jacket for $299, but if I'm doing the conversion right from Euros to USD it's only about $200 on the site.

> > >

> >

> > That website is probably legit, but I would be VERY cautious about buying any Kjus products on eBay, especially from overseas. Kjus fakes/knockoffs do exist, and with the limited exposure that most US-based customers have to Kjus (very few places anyone can go lay hands on legit Kjus garments), it would be especially easy to buy knock-offs and not know it.

>

> They are legit, I have loads of Kjus kit, some from there, some from other places including a lot from Kjus itself. Their eBay shop mirrors what they have on the website.

>

>

I didn't say they weren't. In fact I said the website was probably legit. I was just making a general statement of advice to be cautious when buying Kjus on eBay. High priced goods (like Kjus) almost always attract knock off makers, and there is some of that out there.

Alright guys, I started this post months ago, ended up with an Under Armour rain suit.

Living in Chattanooga, TN we have a group of guys that play all year round, including cold, rainy winter days. I have worn the hell out of this rain suit and its amazing. When I originally purchased it, I wore it a few times out on the course with my group and they were all asking about it and how well it worked, I sang the praises of the suit. Then we went out to Cali for a 3 day tournament and played Spyglass Hill, Spanish Bay (in absoultely perfect weather), THEN ON THE THIRD DAY we played Pebble. 40 degrees, 40mph winds, constant rain, spray off the ocean, you name it we had it. Myself and 2 of my buddies had these UA rain suits on and we were there driest of everyone (don't let that fool you, we were still absolutely miserable). After we finished, I was dry from my neck to my shins, water soaked through my Truelinks shoes and to the top of my socks

I don't think I'll get another rain suit for a while. Fits great, gets the job done and is not quite as pricey as all the other ones.

thanks for all the responses from everyone!

After the epic rains we got this weekend (over 8” in three days), I have to say that the Hydroknit performed like a champ in keeping the rain out. However, it is not a summertime jacket—with the amount of humidity being brought up from the Gulf, I was still damp inside the jacket from sweat. This is definitely a three-season piece for me. Great stretch, keeps the wind and rain out, but save it for a cool day. I’ll stick with my short sleeve Hydrolite for the summer.

My new Kjus Pro 3L got quite the test on Saturday during our member-member tournament. Absolutely torrential rain for about 10 minutes. I noticed on the sleeves that rain began to not just run off but appeared to be soaking into the fabric somewhat. My arms weren’t really wet, but there was some dampness. Is that to be expected, or is that a failure that I should be concerned about? Thanks

> @smb4ua said:

> My new Kjus Pro 3L got quite the test on Saturday during our member-member tournament. Absolutely torrential rain for about 10 minutes. I noticed on the sleeves that rain began to not just run off but appeared to be soaking into the fabric somewhat. My arms weren’t really wet, but there was some dampness. Is that to be expected, or is that a failure that I should be concerned about? Thanks

I remember a couple years ago a fellow golfer and I came into the clubhouse from the rain. He was commenting he was getting wet (since I had on ZR goretex I was dry). He had a name brand suit (maybe Adidas, Nike or Sun Mountain - can't recall) that looked fairly new but was not Goretex. I made a believer out of him by taking both our rain hats and setting then on the table and poured a slight bit of water on the top of each hat. We let them sit there while we finished lunch. I then turned both over (and gave a gentle shake) my goretex hat was fully dry. Plus as I picked it up you could see the water seemed to be repelled by the hat. His hat was noticeably wet from the water.

> @chbrake said:

> Alright guys, I started this post months ago, ended up with an Under Armour rain suit.

> Living in Chattanooga, TN we have a group of guys that play all year round, including cold, rainy winter days. I have worn the **** out of this rain suit and its amazing. When I originally purchased it, I wore it a few times out on the course with my group and they were all asking about it and how well it worked, I sang the praises of the suit. Then we went out to Cali for a 3 day tournament and played Spyglass Hill, Spanish Bay (in absoultely perfect weather), THEN ON THE THIRD DAY we played Pebble. 40 degrees, 40mph winds, constant rain, spray off the ocean, you name it we had it. Myself and 2 of my buddies had these UA rain suits on and we were there driest of everyone (don't let that fool you, we were still absolutely miserable). After we finished, I was dry from my neck to my shins, water soaked through my Truelinks shoes and to the top of my socks

> I don't think I'll get another rain suit for a while. Fits great, gets the job done and is not quite as pricey as all the other ones.

> thanks for all the responses from everyone!

When you say you went with an under armour set, can you elaborate?? There seem to be so many variations in the Storm line...I really like the UA Golf Storm Waterproof jacket on the function18 site ( https://www.function18.com/under-armour-golf-storm-waterproof-jacket-1344085-pitch-grey.html ) and it says 20k waterproof, but I can’t find any reviews on it. I can get a new Paclite from a buddy for $150 but I’m not sure I like the fact it’s not lined (although this one may not be lined either...

We’re headed to Bandon in August and I’m needing to get some gear, but so much of this stuff is cost prohibitive, I can’t break the bank for a few days. Every time I see Chris your the Proquip stuff it’s like a punch in the gut, as I was pretty set in the PX6 jacket/pants, but was going to wait a bit to purchase....we all know where that landed me.

Anywho, if you could shed some light on what set you went with I’d appreciate it!

> @GCU23 said:

> We’re headed to Bandon in August and I’m needing to get some gear, but so much of this stuff is cost prohibitive, I can’t break the bank for a few days. Every time I see Chris your the Proquip stuff it’s like a punch in the gut, as I was pretty set in the PX6 jacket/pants, but was going to wait a bit to purchase....we all know where that landed me.

>

It is not very likely, that, you will need rain gear for Bandon in August. October through June would be a different story.

> @bellken said:

> > @GCU23 said:

>

> > We’re headed to Bandon in August and I’m needing to get some gear, but so much of this stuff is cost prohibitive, I can’t break the bank for a few days. Every time I see Chris your the Proquip stuff it’s like a punch in the gut, as I was pretty set in the PX6 jacket/pants, but was going to wait a bit to purchase....we all know where that landed me.

> >

> It is not very likely, that, you will need rain gear for Bandon in August. October through June would be a different story.

Famous last words :). That said, I’ve heard that as well, but also read “always plan for rain at Bandon, regardless of when you’re going”.

> @GCU23 said:

> > @bellken said:

> > > @GCU23 said:

> >

> > > We’re headed to Bandon in August and I’m needing to get some gear, but so much of this stuff is cost prohibitive, I can’t break the bank for a few days. Every time I see Chris your the Proquip stuff it’s like a punch in the gut, as I was pretty set in the PX6 jacket/pants, but was going to wait a bit to purchase....we all know where that landed me.

> > >

> > It is not very likely, that, you will need rain gear for Bandon in August. October through June would be a different story.

>

> Famous last words :). That said, I’ve heard that as well, but also read “always plan for rain at Bandon, regardless of when you’re going”.

It seems like you buy it, and, you won't need it, but, if you don't have it, then, you wish you had it. But, there are deals out there, but, they require a bit of luck (finding your size, and, an acceptable style). I just bought another Ping Tour Eye rain jacket for less than $75, I will not likely have any need for it until October, when, the rain season starts.

• 2 weeks later...

I highly advise not buying pro quip. We went to Bandon I had the pants another person in the group had the entire suit. Conditions were constant rain and wind. I had a galvin green gore tex top. pants were completely soaked upper half was bone dry. He was completely soaked head to toe. The products did not hold up

> @TerrapinGolfer said:

> I highly advise not buying pro quip. We went to Bandon I had the pants another person in the group had the entire suit. Conditions were constant rain and wind. I had a galvin green gore tex top. pants were completely soaked upper half was bone dry. He was completely soaked head to toe. The products did not hold up

PX6?