Best Rain gear

chbrake

> @hwturner17 said:

> > @chris975d said:

> > > @hwturner17 said:

> > > Any reviews of the DryJoys Select LS or the HydroKnit?

> >

> > The LS just very recently launched, so you probably won’t see much on it yet. And it’s been dry as a bone here in GA since about Feb., and nothing rain related on the horizon, so I haven’t had a chance to get it in and test it yet.

>

> I'm down in NWFL. Can't believe how dry it's been recently. If grass isn't being watered in perpetuity it's dying.

>

> The one thing that kind of puts me off on the hydro knit is that it doesn't have jacket pockets, but the price is much better and it's likely a more versatile jacket for my needs and location

same up in the NE, I cant remember the last real rain we had. my lawn looks like the greens at shinnecock. thankfully we're supposed to get a bunch of rain in the next few days.

I had the same concern about the pockets, especially for my needs - a fall or spring jacket that can withstand the rain.

Ping G420MAX graphite design tour ad mt-6s
NL 902 OS 5/7/9; S300

Haywood 48&54; S400 black onyx

This month's putter: Scotty Cameron X5.5

Srixon ZStar XV/ -ProV1x

So I'm about 6 weeks out from a Bandon trip, and I'm suddenly reconsidering my gear and would like some input. I've got a full GoreTex jacket that I'll be bringing with, but it's not golf specific so it's a little on the big and heavy side, not an easy pack and would probably be a sweat box. The plan for that is to be used in a downpour, but I'm thinking of something for less crazy conditions. I have a Nike HyperAdapt Storm-Fit from my last trip 2 years ago. I would think that could probably get it done, but I haven't been able to find information as to how waterproof it is, and if it will hold up over the course of a full day. I've tested it a few times leaving it out in the rain, and water does bead off but there are spots where I can see it absorbing a little. It never soaks through to the inside, but you can see the material has darkened from water in it. Additionally I've lost weight since my last trip and it's now baggy on me so it's no longer an idea size. Any word on how well these hold up over time, or if they're still up to par with the rest of today's offerings? I don't want to have to get a new jacket, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Edit: Disregard. Went ahead and bought the Cross Edge. Big thanks to @GrumpyCat for the assist on sizing. Don't let the name fool ya folks. :lol:

> @FestivusMiracle said:

> Any insight on the FJ hydroknit?

See my post a page ago. Got the jacket before the season ends. Meets everything i wanted and extremely comfortable

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

Had good rain gear before with various degrees of success and am looking into new stuff. Why would you pay equal money for a jacket that has a 3 year warranty v a Goretex jacket with a lifetime warranty? Pardon my ignorance but for an item that may get worn a few times a year I'd be after longevity as much as anything. My Nike storm fit from a few years back is basically newish but now leaking through in rain.

Nike Tour Premiere
Nike TW13
Jordan Flight Runner
Ecco Biom Hybrid
Nike TW14 Masters 
Nike React Vapor 2
Nike AM97

Sim Max driver
M6 3, 5 woods
Vokey SM7 wedges
Scotty Fastback T22

> @fredstar said:

> Had good rain gear before with various degrees of success and am looking into new stuff. Why would you pay equal money for a jacket that has a 3 year warranty v a Goretex jacket with a lifetime warranty? Pardon my ignorance but for an item that may get worn a few times a year I'd be after longevity as much as anything. My Nike storm fit from a few years back is basically newish but now leaking through in rain.

If you buy GoreTex, please make sure that the actual apparel company offers a lifetime warranty. GoreTex as a whole, despite one of the most widespread misunderstandings in the apparel industry, DOES NOT have a “lifetime warranty”. The only way it does is that the actual manufacturer/ clothing label offers such. Just because it’s “GoreTex” does not automatically mean it has a lifetime warranty.

> @tropics said:

> > @fredstar said:

> > a Goretex jacket with a lifetime warranty?

>

> "This promise applies to new item purchases and lasts for the useful life of the product."

>

GoreTex’s exact words on “lifetime warranty/guarantee”:

r8rc2qhuba40.jpeg

So what does that mean? Here is that answer:

xtd3vvzl8y2y.jpeg

So, in a nut shell, the “useful life” of your product is a subjective judgement that ultimately they get to make. With no stated time limit. But follow outdoor gear forums, or even be in the apparel industry, and you will know and see that warranty claims do get denied. Don't wash your garments correctly and there's evidence of heat (dryer) damage, or detergent residue? Could be grounds for denial of warranty. Don't wash your garment frequently enough and there's a buildup of oils/dirt/whatever that can be detected...same thing could occur.

Most people have interpreted this “useful life” warranty as a “lifetime warranty”, meaning the lifetime of the person purchasing the garment. It’s not. I’ve even heard apparel industry people say that the “useful life” of ANY waterproof garment is gonna be 3-5 years with average use, maybe less with extreme use.

So don’t hang your hat on “GoreTex” and “lifetime warranty” meaning what most people misinterpret it to mean. It doesn’t. Some apparel labels/manufacturers using GoreTex DO offer more of a “lifetime warranty” that is more along the lines of the lifetime of the purchaser, but so do other non-Gore using makers (one of which is ProQuip).

And as a retailer, I can (again) say that most warranties are a total crap shoot when it comes time to actually make a claim. It’s almost always the manufacturer’s call, and they will deny a lot of the time with apparel, just because of the many ways it can be used and abused. I will say that in all my years of making warranty claims for my customers, FootJoy has been the most consistent and easy to deal with. Again, I’m calling as a FootJoy account holder, so our word seems to carry more weight than the end users, but I can’t recall being denied a repair or exchange/replacement (most often, it’s an exchange/replacement) for a warranty claim I’m making for a customer. Even when the garment or shoes are actually well past their stated warranty period.

Every person that I have known that has sent rain gear in to a manufacturer with a problem/leaking, with the exception of zero restriction (who replaced it without question), had it sent back with them saying they didn't find a problem/couldnt replicate the problem with their testing.

I dont put much weight into the warranties beyond a few years because I figure my body may change or I may have a different style preference, just the rating and breathability 20k/20k. But I'm also one of the guys who is only using it in emergency situations, not playing in europe or the northwest etc.

I will say the Ping zero gravity recommended here that i bought is very comfortable and light/stretchy, and has performed well in the limited use its had

> @Unteachable said:

> Every person that I have known that has sent rain gear in to a manufacturer with a problem/leaking, with the exception of zero restriction (who replaced it without question), had it sent back with them saying they didn't find a problem/couldnt replicate the problem with their testing.

>

> I dont put much weight into the warranties beyond a few years because I figure my body may change or I may have a different style preference, just the rating and breathability 20k/20k. But I'm also one of the guys who is only using it in emergency situations, not playing in europe or the northwest etc.

> I will say the Ping zero gravity recommended here that i bought is very comfortable and light/stretchy, and has performed well in the limited use its had

The only thing I've heard of with Zero Restriction and issues with warranty claims is having a valid "proof of purchase" to show that you were, in fact, the original buyer/owner (that, and having that same receipt/proof of purchase to show that you did pay full retail). This is another loophole often used by manufacturers to get out of any warranty claim, as honestly they know that most consumers do not keep receipts/records of purchases like this. This is why it's always important to "register" your product if the manufacturer offers something like that (the little card/hang tag for "registration" that accompanies apparel), or file your receipts away in a safe place. Because almost all manufacturers say in fine print that the "warranty" applies only to the original owner. This is usually when the end-user/customer deals directly with the manufacturer on a warranty claim. As I stated above, most manufacturers are much more lenient when the claim is being originated from a retail account, and is why I always advise my customers to bring their possible warranty claims to me to handle directly.

> @oneunderbogey said:

> I pulled the trigger on the cross sportswear hurricane pants and m pro jacket. Hasn't rained yet but I like the style. Didn't run as small as I thought from reading reviews, the pants are probably a size to big but they have the Velcro waist adjustment so it'll be ok.

I almost went with Cross but the slim fit scared me, apparently it’s not too bad. I ended up going Sunice Apollo jacket and Sunice Narooma pants from Function18. The UK prices were again (like the ProQuip deal that went away) a whole lot cheaper than in the US.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

> @jas904 said:

> > @oneunderbogey said:

> > I pulled the trigger on the cross sportswear hurricane pants and m pro jacket. Hasn't rained yet but I like the style. Didn't run as small as I thought from reading reviews, the pants are probably a size to big but they have the Velcro waist adjustment so it'll be ok.

>

> I almost went with Cross but the slim fit scared me, apparently it’s not too bad. I ended up going Sunice Apollo jacket and Sunice Narooma pants from Function18. The UK prices were again (like the ProQuip deal that went away) a whole lot cheaper than in the US.

From reading their website I believe the Edge is the only one of their pieces that's slim. I think the Pro and Hurricane are more of a standard fit with a little more room. I just got the Cross Edge this week in Medium. It's slim, but not too bad. It's perfect on me at the moment, but with layers or more weight it might be difficult, but a large might be too roomy, and I'm normally a Medium.

> @VNutz said:

> > @jas904 said:

> > > @oneunderbogey said:

> > > I pulled the trigger on the cross sportswear hurricane pants and m pro jacket. Hasn't rained yet but I like the style. Didn't run as small as I thought from reading reviews, the pants are probably a size to big but they have the Velcro waist adjustment so it'll be ok.

> >

> > I almost went with Cross but the slim fit scared me, apparently it’s not too bad. I ended up going Sunice Apollo jacket and Sunice Narooma pants from Function18. The UK prices were again (like the ProQuip deal that went away) a whole lot cheaper than in the US.

>

> From reading their website I believe the Edge is the only one of their pieces that's slim. I think the Pro and Hurricane are more of a standard fit with a little more room. I just got the Cross Edge this week in Medium. It's slim, but not too bad. It's perfect on me at the moment, but with layers or more weight it might be difficult, but a large might be too roomy, and I'm normally a Medium.

I received my order yesterday. Pretty crazy, ordered Monday and it was delivered Thursday to the west coast from the UK. I’m normally a medium also. Sunice jacket was very slightly on the loose side, I. Happy with the fit. The pants are borderline too big. I had to cinch up the waist and the 31” length was a little on the long side. For reference I’m 31x32 for Levi’s. Overall I’m happy with the product but the real test will be when I get it out in the rain.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

Was able to wear my Kjus gear in the rain for the first time today. Began drizzling on 9, raining on 11 (when I put on the jacket). Coming down pretty hard by the end of 13 so I added the pants, and left the two guys I was paired with behind when they said they were going to wait it out under the trees. Not only did I finish the last 5 holes in about 35 minutes, but felt warm and dry the whole way.

> @TerrapinGolfer said:

> Bought a proquip px6 pants soaked right through, we were at bandon and it rained nonstop sideways, galvin green top stayed completely dry. Brother had the px6 suit and had to change and buy something else that evening. Galvin green gore Tex for me

Hmmm. Played my first round in PX6 pants yesterday. Was pleased with the fit and feel, and waterproofness although I guess it didn’t rain that long or that hard. My main complaint is the lining, some sort of mesh, is very comfortable once on, but is incredibly easy to snag and almost impossible to get over golf shoes, yes, with the side zippers all the way up.

> @TerrapinGolfer said:

> Bought a proquip px6 pants soaked right through, we were at bandon and it rained nonstop sideways, galvin green top stayed completely dry. Brother had the px6 suit and had to change and buy something else that evening. Galvin green gore Tex for me

that's crazy. sorry to hear. was it literally bucketing rain non stop? i wore my px6 pants sunday of the open championship (serious weather) and i was bone dry.

> @howellhandmade said:

> > @TerrapinGolfer said:

> > Bought a proquip px6 pants soaked right through, we were at bandon and it rained nonstop sideways, galvin green top stayed completely dry. Brother had the px6 suit and had to change and buy something else that evening. Galvin green gore Tex for me

>

> Hmmm. Played my first round in PX6 pants yesterday. Was pleased with the fit and feel, and waterproofness although I guess it didn’t rain that long or that hard. My main complaint is the lining, some sort of mesh, is very comfortable once on, but is incredibly easy to snag and almost impossible to get over golf shoes, yes, with the side zippers all the way up.

yeah that's true, i can feel my foot catching the lining on one side of my pants if i put them on quick enough.

i don't put them on over shoes. if it looks like any threat of rain, i'll just wear them like regular pants for the day.

> @tropics said:

> i have a kjus pro 3l jacket coming on wednesday. looking forward to trying it out.

Used mine in Ireland for 3 days and it worked beautifully

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

> @TerrapinGolfer said:

Like others have said, my PX6 pants have kept me dry. I played in pretty decent rain last Sunday without issue. I also have worn them walking my dog in the rain since she isnt bothered by it one bit.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I have a feeling that there will soon be a drought on Long Island. Ever since I started buying rain gear last month, forecasted rainstorms on my golf days either haven't materialized or have held off until I'm driving home from the course. I told someone earlier today that I don't know how well my rain gear works. But, in hindsight, it works really well. It keeps me dry by preventing the rain from falling in the first place.

It's like the standby generator that I had installed at my house after losing power for a week after hurricanes two years in a row. My neighborhood hasn't lost power when I'm home ever since.

Can anyone comment on ongoing care for rain gear? In their rain gear buyers guide, the other site suggested that it's "essential" to wash rain gear after every use. That surprised me. Are people doing that or is it overkill? Are there laundry products that are especially good (or bad) for rain gear? I played yesterday in extremely heavy rain (so much for my prediction above). My new Proquip PX6 jacket and pants performed very well. I know that my gear had hang tags on them, which I assume included some care instructions. But, Proquip has nothing on their website regarding care instructions.

I'd be interested in knowing what other people are doing.

> @"Bill Broderick" said:

> Can anyone comment on ongoing care for rain gear? In their rain gear buyers guide, the other site suggested that it's "essential" to wash rain gear after every use. That surprised me. Are people doing that or is it overkill? Are there laundry products that are especially good (or bad) for rain gear? I played yesterday in extremely heavy rain (so much for my prediction above). My new Proquip PX6 jacket and pants performed very well. I know that my gear had hang tags on them, which I assume included some care instructions. But, Proquip has nothing on their website regarding care instructions.

>

> I'd be interested in knowing what other people are doing.

I went to my local REI to get some wash stuff and talked with one of their people on their floor about this topic for a little bit. They recommended washing using a 2 part system by Nikwax. The first part is a wash meant specifically for technical materials like this, the second is a DWR treatment that for lack of a better term, renews the waterproof capabilities. They said not to use regular detergent and they told me to air dry, but I know some places have said a light dryer can help renew the waterproofing as well. They stopped short of saying to wash it each and every time, but they did said body oil buildup and sweat accumulation can diminish the effectiveness of waterproof materials. I'm sure there might be a better 1 part solution out there but thus far this has worked for me.

I got some RLX waterproof trousers through the other day. I have not had them out on the course yet (my short ass legs mean that I need to have them tailored even with it being possible to adjust the length of them) so hopefully I should get out there with them in the next couple of weeks...although as I type that I realise that I am wishing rain on myself!!

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @VNutz said:

> > @"Bill Broderick" said:

> > Can anyone comment on ongoing care for rain gear? In their rain gear buyers guide, the other site suggested that it's "essential" to wash rain gear after every use. That surprised me. Are people doing that or is it overkill? Are there laundry products that are especially good (or bad) for rain gear? I played yesterday in extremely heavy rain (so much for my prediction above). My new Proquip PX6 jacket and pants performed very well. I know that my gear had hang tags on them, which I assume included some care instructions. But, Proquip has nothing on their website regarding care instructions.

> >

> > I'd be interested in knowing what other people are doing.

>

> I went to my local REI to get some wash stuff and talked with one of their people on their floor about this topic for a little bit. They recommended washing using a 2 part system by Nikwax. The first part is a wash meant specifically for technical materials like this, the second is a DWR treatment that for lack of a better term, renews the waterproof capabilities. They said not to use regular detergent and they told me to air dry, but I know some places have said a light dryer can help renew the waterproofing as well. They stopped short of saying to wash it each and every time, but they did said body oil buildup and sweat accumulation can diminish the effectiveness of waterproof materials. I'm sure there might be a better 1 part solution out there but thus far this has worked for me.

Thanks. Looking at Nikwax's website, the 2 part system makes sense. They say that the second part doesn't need to be done every time that the cleaning step is performed. They say "With regular cleaning, you should be able to clean your gear 5-6 times with Nikwax Tech Wash before it requires re-waterproofing." I'm going to take a look at the hang tags that Proquip provided to see if they have an specific recommendations. If not, I'll give this a shot.