Best Rain gear

chbrake

There are many levels of rain gear effectiveness.  I'm partial to Zero Restriction as they have always been exceptional.  I've played in numerous outings and would see other golfers wearing rainsuits of poor quality.  At the end of the round in mild drizzle they were soaked.  Not me!  Pay good money once for quality - its cheaper in the long run.  

One thing I learned on my trip to Bandon a few weeks ago was that if it rains hard enough - like it did for @ 8 holes when it absolutely monsooned, nothing will keep you perfectly dry. Everything has a limit. During the monsoon I had my ZR longsleeve on over my Sunice short sleeve. Spoiler alert - pretty dry and actually comfortable. GG GoreTex pants were again an absolute tank.

As always, I asked our caddies what they wear. They had Adidas gear that they said was complete crap for anything other than light rain but they were both wearing it one morning because it was only supposed to sprinkle. For hard core days, they wear high end fishing gear. Columbia, Grundens etc that is not only warm but dry as well. Obviously OK to wear when you are not actively swinging clubs and only carrying bags.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

In very heavy rain/monsoon type weather, once, the dwr is overcome, you will wet out. Depending on the temperatures, you can mitigate this with your base and middle layers. Hydrophobic base and middle layers will help keep the wetness away from your skin. 

Wetting out rain pants is less of an issue due to the fact, your legs sweat less than your torso.

I love Arcteryx and have several pieces of their gear (atom ar, atom lt, beta ar),  The only thing they are really missing is adding stretch to their stuff.  Like real stretch. That is why I prefer Kjus for golf gear is it’s fully waterproof and has the best stretch stuff.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Does anyone know of any rain pants that can be worn as just pants? On days that I am going to play and its cold and rain is in the forecast, I would rather just have a pair of pants that I can wear, knowing they will be fine in the rain, than having a second pair of rain pants to put over my normal pants. Obviously if I am on a trip to Bandon or elsewhere I will take the dedicated rain pants, but when I am at home I would rather just have the waterproof pants and not have to worry about carrying the second pair of rain pants with me. 

FWIW I wear my GG rain pants as pants all the time in the cold/wind, I just wear shorts underneath.

• Like 1

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

On 1/3/2018 at 2:33 AM, Sean2 said:

I will play in the rain, so waterproof gear is important to me. It's not a matter of getting caught in the rain and throwing on a jacket and trousers, I will go to the first tee while it's raining and knowing it might rain the entire round. I usually have the course to myself. lol

The Footjoy Tour XP products just don't work that well...and the "waterproof" guarantee is 2 years. Which has since expired, so if it's raining I WILL get wet.

I just purchased the Galvin Green Achilles jacket, and ProQuip StormForce PX5 trousers.

I ordered the GG one size larger, and it fits perfectly. I ordered the ProQuip same size, but with a 35-inch inseam.

Both items were on sale at a very nice price. I have been waiting almost two years to find these at a price I was willing to pay. lol

What size trousers do you usually wear that the 35inch inseam was a good fit? I usually wear a size 34 waist, 33/4 leg jeans... wondering what the right fit would be here for me in the PX5?

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

2 hours ago, ewaldbeukes said:

What size trousers do you usually wear that the 35inch inseam was a good fit? I usually wear a size 34 waist, 33/4 leg jeans... wondering what the right fit would be here for me in the PX5?

34 inch waist and 34 inch inseam. The 35 inch inseam works well for me with the Storm Force trousers. 

3 hours ago, HackZogan said:

Does anyone know of any rain pants that can be worn as just pants? On days that I am going to play and its cold and rain is in the forecast, I would rather just have a pair of pants that I can wear, knowing they will be fine in the rain, than having a second pair of rain pants to put over my normal pants. Obviously if I am on a trip to Bandon or elsewhere I will take the dedicated rain pants, but when I am at home I would rather just have the waterproof pants and not have to worry about carrying the second pair of rain pants with me. 

Galway Bay makes nice waterproof pants, both lined and unlined.  Pricey at $185-$200, but the lined gray version is on sale for $150:

Cross M Edge Chino is also a good waterproof pant (unlined only).  They're usually pricey at $215, but the Edge Chino in green and blue are on sale for $108 plus shipping (from Sweden):

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

19 hours ago, HackZogan said:

These don't have a true waterproof membrane, but are made of DWR fabric and shed water  well. Maybe not your style but they are very comfortable, stretch, warm and have plenty of pockets. I've received numerous compliments on the course about them. 

Lined and unlined... 

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951203/mens-guide-pro-lined-pants?sp=1&color=Black&size=38/30&sizeType=Regular&ch=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-brand_PLA_B_Brand_New-_-Mens_Bottoms_Pants_Wovens-_-0290903100009588&cvosrc=cse.google.0290903100009588&cvo_campaign=brand_PLA_B_Brand_New

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/12951063/mens-guide-pro-pants?sp=1&color=Black&size=33/30&sizeType=Regular&ch=pla&cm_mmc=GooglePLA-_-non_brand_PLA_B_Top_Products-_-Mens_Bottoms_Pants_Wovens-_-0290635100009340&cvosrc=cse.google.0290635100009340&cvo_campaign=non_brand_PLA_B_Top_Products

• Thanks 1

normally an out and out GG wearer, but i was on my way to pick up a new jacket and passed a Peak Performance store that had a sale on. Picked up 2 jackets and a pair of trousers (all goretex) for the price of a GG jacket. nice and light for layering, some great features on the trousers, and jacket, one of the jackets has stretch on the elbows and shoulders, worn in a storm last weekend and not a drop of water came through. Super happy with my purchase and would deffo buy again.

• 1 month later...

I'm not familiar with the Z2000 model but I have lots of other Zero Restriction rain gear.  It all performs great and I stay dry and comfortable.  The Z2000 is guaranteed waterproof for life.  That pretty much says all you need to know.  Pay once and be satisfied for a long time.  Cheaper in the long run.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 11:09 AM, HackZogan said:

Maybe a little late but I found these on another thread, for sale at Costco.  For the price seemed like worth a chance.  Haven’t received them yet. 

https://www.costco.com/eddie-bauer-men’s-tech-pant.product.100653334.html  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tw_focus said:

I'm going to be playing some nice courses in the next two weeks and it looks like the rain is coming on. Temp will be around 55F. I was thinking about buying the REI-brand rain jacket + pants for ~$100. Are those suitable for golf?

Do they have a waterproof rating number?  Jacket and pants for $100 is pretty low end but if they're rated 10,000 or higher you should be OK.  If you buy that set go ahead and buy the TX Direct Waterproof spray (the spray bottle, NOT the wash in style).  REI stocks it. Read the directions and give your gear a couple coats, letting dry in between coats.  

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cristphoto said:

Do they have a waterproof rating number?  Jacket and pants for $100 is pretty low end but if they're rated 10,000 or higher you should be OK.  If you buy that set go ahead and buy the TX Direct Waterproof spray (the spray bottle, NOT the wash in style).  REI stocks it. Read the directions and give your gear a couple coats, letting dry in between coats.  

What is the issue with wash in?

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

39 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

You only want water repellency on the outside - not the inside.  The Goretex site and others warn about this.  Plus you don't want the stuff in your washing machine where it can work its way into upcoming loads.  Spray-on is full proof.

I agree about spray on vs wash in.  But why would you advise him to spray it on brand new gear?  

Also while we're on the topic of washing, here is my PSA to those that aren't aware--- NEVER USE FABRIC SOFTENER ---fabric softener is the fastest way to destroy the repellency of DWR fabric.  Even residual amounts left behind from previous washes can damage your waterproof garment.  Best to clean your washer thoroughly before you ever wash a waterproof garment. Do this by washing a few loads of towels with hot water and a bit of detergent only in order to flush out any residual fabric softener. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Thanks 1

The OP said he was considering a $100 rain suit.  I know from past experience that will probably be marginal in the rain so any extra protection will help.  I've personally done this several years ago on new Dryjoy rain jackets that when brand new would barely bead up water. But after giving a couple coats of TX Direct spray it beaded up much better.  

• Thanks 1

I ended up buying "Adidas Climastorm Provisional" jacket and pants. Total was about $130 for both on Amazon.

I put them to use today at the course, 55 degrees in the late morning with light to medium rain on and off. 10-20 mph wind. Overall no complaints, the clothes kept me dry. I walked ~29 holes in under four hours due to the course being wide open, I was actually sweating underneath all the gear, so the gear did its job keeping me warm. Overall recommended, I will head out during the rain again since that's the only way to get a tee time at some courses these days...

I'm looking to buy a good rain suit for a trip to Bandon coming up this February.  I live in Southern California where it rarely rains so I don't want to shell out a ton of cash for a super high end suit if I don't have to.  I found a Paclite Under Armour jacket on ebay that I thought might do the trip for being a good jacket at a good price.  Anyone have this jacket or have any thoughts on it?  Also, any ideas for a good reasonably priced set of rain pants?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-Armour-Golf-Mens-XL-Storm-Gore-Tex-Paclite-Full-Zip-Jacket-Black-1317354/133575764468?epid=13041953482&hash=item1f19bc69f4:g:eUgAAOSwXE5fry7X

4 hours ago, timmah27 said:

I'm looking to buy a good rain suit for a trip to Bandon coming up this February.  I live in Southern California where it rarely rains so I don't want to shell out a ton of cash for a super high end suit if I don't have to.  I found a Paclite Under Armour jacket on ebay that I thought might do the trip for being a good jacket at a good price.  Anyone have this jacket or have any thoughts on it?  Also, any ideas for a good reasonably priced set of rain pants?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-Armour-Golf-Mens-XL-Storm-Gore-Tex-Paclite-Full-Zip-Jacket-Black-1317354/133575764468?epid=13041953482&hash=item1f19bc69f4:g:eUgAAOSwXE5fry7X

for goretex rain pants - https://www.rei.com/product/137309/rei-co-op-xerodry-gtx-pants-mens

Also, check out the Bandon threads in https://forums.golfwrx.com/forum/158-northwest/

A good base layer can help, too.

I have a Cross rain jacket and the trousers, and they are great so far. I believe that this suit was in the top 3 of the best rain suits of the Spy website. It is not as breathable as the very high end offerings, but it is great in cooler temperatures. The material is very elastic, you barely notice that you wear it. Not baggy at all, I really like it. And it was reasonably priced.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2020 at 3:36 PM, GrumpyCat said:

Galway Bay makes nice waterproof pants, both lined and unlined.  Pricey at $185-$200, but the lined gray version is on sale for $150:

Cross M Edge Chino is also a good waterproof pant (unlined only).  They're usually pricey at $215, but the Edge Chino in green and blue are on sale for $108 plus shipping (from Sweden):

Love my Galway bay gear!

• Like 1

G430 Max 10K 9* w/Ventus Blue TR 6TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro White 70TX
TSr3 18* w/Ventus Blue TR 8X

TP 08 3I w/Epic X

W/S Staff Model CB/MB 4-PW w/MMT 125TX

Mg4 50*, 56*, 60* w/MMT 125TX

AI One Jailbird Mini
Pro V1X-