Best Rain gear

chbrake

I have been looking into rain gear recently and this thread has led me to order a KJUS Dexter 2.5L HalfZip. Excited for it to arrive! Was leaning towards GG before reading through all this info but I am pretty confident in my purchase now.

I think you'll be quite happy with it. The lightest fully waterproof pullover out there. Very good breathability too. Nothing like wearing a plastic trash bag (aka GoreTex Paclite). For those on a bit more of a budget, the half zip PING Zero Gravity mentioned above is also very, very good. Super light as well.

I have been looking into rain gear recently and this thread has led me to order a KJUS Dexter 2.5L HalfZip. Excited for it to arrive! Was leaning towards GG before reading through all this info but I am pretty confident in my purchase now.

I think you'll be quite happy with it. The lightest fully waterproof pullover out there. Very good breathability too. Nothing like wearing a plastic trash bag (aka GoreTex Paclite). For those on a bit more of a budget, the half zip PING Zero Gravity mentioned above is also very, very good. Super light as well.

Thanks for all the great information. I'll report back once I get it in and try it on, just hoping I ordered the right size.

Thanks for all the great information. I'll report back once I get it in and try it on, just hoping I ordered the right size.

I’m 42” chest, 34” waist, 5’10 and the Large fits me perfectly.

I have to say I’ve bought a few Kjus items over the past few weeks, mainly because of the sale that’s on, and have been mightily impressed with what I’ve received. I will add at this point I’ve only tried them on rather than used any so far.

The second skin fits beautifully and the neck is so comfortable when zipped up. An ideal layer.

The Dexter packs to a tiny size and is really nice to wear, unlike most waterproofs.

The Dorian is extremely lightweight as a windproof and will be in my bag for when needed.

The Diamond Fleece is lovely and I can imagine it providing plenty of warmth. Looks great too.

And finally the Dweight softshell is an extremely nice piece of clothing, water resistant with polartec windblock. It looks fantastic on.

More importantly all of it is relatively snug-fitting, yet very comfortable, so I’m sure it’ll be perfect for not getting in the way of a normal swing.

What a great brand. Hugely impressed, especially at half price. I’m really chuffed.

OK you convinced me. Bought the Dexter half zip, Dorian vest and diamond fleece.

There are some amazing bargains on the Kjus site.

Do you think the Dweight is needed too?

Tempted by some Clive trousers to complete the kit

I have to say I’ve bought a few Kjus items over the past few weeks, mainly because of the sale that’s on, and have been mightily impressed with what I’ve received. I will add at this point I’ve only tried them on rather than used any so far.

The second skin fits beautifully and the neck is so comfortable when zipped up. An ideal layer.

The Dexter packs to a tiny size and is really nice to wear, unlike most waterproofs.

The Dorian is extremely lightweight as a windproof and will be in my bag for when needed.

The Diamond Fleece is lovely and I can imagine it providing plenty of warmth. Looks great too.

And finally the Dweight softshell is an extremely nice piece of clothing, water resistant with polartec windblock. It looks fantastic on.

More importantly all of it is relatively snug-fitting, yet very comfortable, so I’m sure it’ll be perfect for not getting in the way of a normal swing.

What a great brand. Hugely impressed, especially at half price. I’m really chuffed.

OK you convinced me. Bought the Dexter half zip, Dorian vest and diamond fleece.

There are some amazing bargains on the Kjus site.

Do you think the Dweight is needed too?

Tempted by some Clive trousers to complete the kit

I reckon the Dweight will be the one I wear the most along with the Diamond Fleece. I should think it’ll be a staple on my wardrobe for the next handful of years.

I wore the DF today but had to take it off as the weather is too warm at the moment. But I can see it getting plenty of usage once we get to the end of September and through until March. The Dweight will be used over one, two or possibly three other layers depending on just how cold it gets. To my mind the Dweight is similar to the Galvin Green Lance in that it’s ideal for many conditions from 60F to 30F, rain, wind, snow...

Just picked up a galvin green angelo jacket on sale from Function18, going to be my first gore tex jacket so looking forward to testing it out in Ireland next year.

Also got some nike storm fit hyper pants from my local indie golf shop. Says lifetime waterproof warranty on the tag, anybody have experience with nike's 'lifetime' warranties?

Function18 is a great site. I just got a Sunice Apollo Jacket. Good price too.

I wanted to go with the KJUS as I tried them on at a nearby store and liked the material. Or even GG. But the Euros clearly don't want large US men wearing their stuff. I'm an XL in ZR, but a 4XL GG and KJUS doesn't even have a size that fits a 50+ inch chest. Try finding a 4XL GG on sale. Don't these people eat? I'm 6' 230 lbs. 52 chest. 38 waist. They must make this stuff for Scandanavians.

Sunice or Zero Restriction, you need GoreTex for any serious rain you may encounter.

Have you read this thread? Or just jumped in at the end and added this post? If you haven't read it you should read all of Chris975d's posts. He's a wealth of knowledge on this subject and has debuncted the GoreTex only myth. It's obviously great, but there is equal or even better materials out there now.

Hi all. Please suggest a waterproof jacket for Texas.

We don’t need warmth , and there is only one excursion to the uk next year

I have a Zero Traveler now.. not happy with the fit: I wear a 41L and the Large is too large.

Ping G400 Max GD Tour AD IZ-6 R

TEE EX10 Beta 16.5 GD AD

Ping G425 19  GD Tour AD IZ-8R
Ping I200
PXG 311 50, Vokey 54, 60
2012 Cameron Newport 2

Cameron Phantom 7.5 

I have a Zero Traveler now.. not happy with the fit: I wear a 41L and the Large is too large.

Get a Kjus Dexter 2.5L halfzip in size large. I’m a 42” chest and it fits me perfectly, on sale for bargain prices at the moment on the Kjus website and folds up to almost nothing. Waterproof to 20,000 which is the same as GoreTex.

I have a bunch of rain gear from outdoor manufacturers as I do a lot of backpacking. I have a pair of Arcteryx full side zip pants with the c-knit backer that I use for adverse hiking conditions, which I also use as golf rain pants.

My heavy duty shell jacket is an Outdoor Research Mentor jacket, with the torso-flo pit zip systems. Do golf rain jackets have pit zips? Also, my mentor jacket has a hood....Can you play golf in a jacket with pit zips and a hood? I have yet to try it, but I'll probably throw my Mentor jacket in my golf bag and give it a shot.

Incidentally, someone earlier in the thread posted about KUIU, which makes ultralight gear for hunting. Their Chugach Rain gear is also made with Toray Dermizax, which is the same material as the Kjus Pro. The KUIU comes with a hood and pit zips. Pit Zips are awfully nice for ventilation.

Does the Proquip come with a fleece liner by chance? I was wondering if it is like Paramo rain gear.

Got my KJUS Dexter 2.5L Half Zip in today. First thoughts: Wow, this thing is thin, light, and quiet. I expected a loud sound that I have experienced in the past with other waterproof gear when my arms run across my body but there is absolutely none of that. Fit is also fantastic. I am 6'1" 185lbs, went with a 52 (L) and was a bit worried that it would fit too tight as European apparel normally does. This was not the case.

Weirdly cannot wait for it to rain so I can put this guy on.

Not a big deal but the packaging for this thing was absolutely ridiculous. Was a nice touch that the jacket came on a hanger and sat on top of padding but take a look at this box compared to the size of the jacket when it's in the packable bag....

I have a bunch of rain gear from outdoor manufacturers as I do a lot of backpacking. I have a pair of Arcteryx full side zip pants with the c-knit backer that I use for adverse hiking conditions, which I also use as golf rain pants.

My heavy duty shell jacket is an Outdoor Research Mentor jacket, with the torso-flo pit zip systems. Do golf rain jackets have pit zips? Also, my mentor jacket has a hood....Can you play golf in a jacket with pit zips and a hood? I have yet to try it, but I'll probably throw my Mentor jacket in my golf bag and give it a shot.

Incidentally, someone earlier in the thread posted about KUIU, which makes ultralight gear for hunting. Their Chugach Rain gear is also made with Toray Dermizax, which is the same material as the Kjus Pro. The KUIU comes with a hood and pit zips. Pit Zips are awfully nice for ventilation.

Does the Proquip come with a fleece liner by chance? I was wondering if it is like Paramo rain gear.

Golf waterproofs typically do not have pit zips, no. Not really sure why though, to be honest with you. Golfers often times walk, and that builds up heat inside the jacket. Pit zips would be a good way to dump that heat.

As far as a hood is concerned, golf waterproofs typically don't have them either. Again, not sure why.

I do have a few Outdoor Research waterproofs that I will rotate into my golf gear, that have both pit zips and a hood. I really like the hood option, as it (obviously) keeps my head dry when walking and playing in the rain. Of course I pull it off/back when hitting a shot, as the hood moving/rustling around your head during a swing is distracting, bit pulled back it's not in the way at all. I do wish golf apparel manufacturers would start putting them on their waterproofs, or at least offering an option to have one. Even if it was stowable in the collar of the jacket.

And your idea to use "outdoor" (hiking, climbing, backpacking, skiing, etc) waterproofs for golf is actually a pretty good one. I've found that rain gear made for that market is designed to be used in MUCH more active settings than golf, where the wearer is moving a lot more (and possibly working up a sweat) than in golf. Thus usually much more breathable to deal with that increased water vapor, aka be breathable. This is where a lot of these alternative, better than GoreTex fabrics got their start. Designing something to breathe better and not be like wearing a trash can liner, holding the majority of your water vapor in and condensing to water inside your gear.

Golf waterproofs typically do not have pit zips, no. Not really sure why though, to be honest with you. Golfers often times walk, and that builds up heat inside the jacket. Pit zips would be a good way to dump that heat.

As far as a hood is concerned, golf waterproofs typically don't have them either. Again, not sure why.

I do have a few Outdoor Research waterproofs that I will rotate into my golf gear, that have both pit zips and a hood. I really like the hood option, as it (obviously) keeps my head dry when walking and playing in the rain. Of course I pull it off/back when hitting a shot, as the hood moving/rustling around your head during a swing is distracting, bit pulled back it's not in the way at all. I do wish golf apparel manufacturers would start putting them on their waterproofs, or at least offering an option to have one. Even if it was stowable in the collar of the jacket.

And your idea to use "outdoor" (hiking, climbing, backpacking, skiing, etc) waterproofs for golf is actually a pretty good one. I've found that rain gear made for that market is designed to be used in MUCH more active settings than golf, where the wearer is moving a lot more (and possibly working up a sweat) than in golf. Thus usually much more breathable to deal with that increased water vapor, aka be breathable. This is where a lot of these alternative, better than GoreTex fabrics got their start. Designing something to breathe better and not be like wearing a trash can liner, holding the majority of your water vapor in and condensing to water inside your gear.

Good idea about the hood...just pull it off when you are ready to hit your shot. I think a hood over a baseball cap is a good combo, as the brim of the cap keeps the water out of your eyes (which is especially important if you wear glasses) yet you can still wear the hood over the baseball cap. The hood keeps the water from going down the back of your neck.

Also I was thinking that in conjunction with an umbrella you could get away with much lighter rain gear...if you're only out from under the umbrella when you're hitting your shot, the 10,000 mm HH jackets are more than enough.

I might check out the KUIU Chugach when KUIU has their next sale...it retails for $299 vs $499 for the Kjus Pro, and comes with a hood and pit zips. It usually comes in a solid color option too. (Sadly, Jason Hairston, the founder of KUIU, committed suicide last week as he suffered from CTE from his days as a football player).

https://www.kuiu.com...et-rain#start=1

I tend to use my outdoor gear on the course because I already have it....but there is some interesting rain gear that people use in the backpacking world. A lot of people in the summer will use rain kilts...the advantage to them is that you can put them on really fast, and they don't need to be breathable because you get ventilation from the bottom. In warm weather, it's fine if your shins get wet, too. I use this one...

http://www.zpacks.co...cloudkilt.shtml

If I'm playing at a Muni, I'll throw this in the bag along with a short sleeve waterproof top...the kilt might not go over so well at a club, though! It only weighs 1.9 ounces though.

If you're moving really fast in cooler weather, some people are experimenting with a wicking base layer or light fleece with a wind shirt layered over the top...no membrane. There is a material called Epic that works well for these wind shirts, but they are hard to find.

In the UK, the Paramo/Buffalo systems don't utilize a membrane, so they are very breathable. They are great for cooler weather, but for golf I'm not sure how much stretch they have. They tend to be a bit heavy, but people just wear them all day. I'd love to ask some people from the UK if you can wear these for golf.

By the way, Chris, I appreciate all the good info you've provided in this thread!

Bear in mind the KJUS deals seem to be for EU. US prices still quite high from what I can see.

My observation too -- $329 plus tax for the Dexter doesn't tempt me.

Strange. You can get the half zip from £65 in the U.K.

https://www.kjus.com/gb/en/search?sSearch=Dexter+

Yup. The link works but it won't let me ship to the States, switches me over to the US site. They can sell me one when I can get the same discount. Otherwise I'll stick with my Ping half-zip or my Zero Restriction jacket.

Bear in mind the KJUS deals seem to be for EU. US prices still quite high from what I can see.

Yup. The link works but it won't let me ship to the States, switches me over to the US site. They can sell me one when I can get the same discount. Otherwise I'll stick with my Ping half-zip or my Zero Restriction jacket.

What about this place? It’d have to be Sophisto Grey though. (It’s actually where I bought mine).

https://www.scottsdalegolf.co.uk/shop/clothing/waterproofs/kjus-dexter-tour-edition-half-zip-packable-golf-waterproof-sophisto-grey

What about this place? It’d have to be Sophisto Grey though. (It’s actually where I bought mine).

https://www.scottsdalegolf.co.uk/shop/clothing/waterproofs/kjus-dexter-tour-edition-half-zip-packable-golf-waterproof-sophisto-grey

Perhaps. Thank you very much for posting. That's about $45 USD difference to the 65£ though. Still less than $329 to be sure, but at this point it would be *another* piece of rain gear and that's assuming Scottsdale would ship to the US without too much extra cost or hassle. Perhaps will play around with the order form and see what my options are.

Get a Kjus Dexter 2.5L halfzip in size large. I’m a 42” chest and it fits me perfectly, on sale for bargain prices at the moment on the Kjus website and folds up to almost nothing. Waterproof to 20,000 which is the same as GoreTex.

Exactly, only the Kjus waterproof is actually better than Gore Tex in some ways. Their Pro 3L uses Dermizax EV which requires way less special care than Gore but works the same and breathes better than comparable golf gear. The fast 20 used in the dexter is probably propreitary so I can't confirm, but those numbers should provide more than enough protection. The people at my club who have the dexter love it.

Got to say I fancy getting myself another Dexter in Atlanta blue, a jacket rather than a halfzip as a general golf jacket rather than just a waterproof. Hmm, ponders...

Ok, that’s out of the window, simply not paying £229 for another Dexter. I’ve moved my new burnt henna Kjus Dorian to my wardrobe as another ‘style’ alongside my Kjus Dweight softshell and GG Lance jacket. And I’ve bought a tomato red Kjus Dorian for £45 as my bag windproof to use as and when applicable. Not my first choice of colour, but it’ll go with pretty much everything in my wardrobe which is black, grey and red.

So my bag now contains a Nike Hyperadapt, a Kjus Dexter and a Kjus Dorian which should cover all eventualities on rain and needing to add another layer. I also bought a plain black Kjus Diamond Fleece for just £35 which may also go in the bag for eventualities.

Ha! (Probably off topic now, but there is some water resistancy in there, promise).