2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Damn that is some playing...! Did they set the course up softer then last year? Just wondering based on all the USGA back flak over the US Open, comments on the rough at US Senior qualifier, etc.

No it was setup almost identical as last year. Ft. Collins received quite a bit of rain this past week, so it played a little slower than they wanted probably. Greens were at 11.5-12 and they wanted them closer to 12.5-13 I believe.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looked brutal. I saw multiple guys miss out on AM qualifier with two rounds in the 60's. That had to be hard to come in thinking you're in and miss it. These guys are good.

Yeah, unfortunately all those kids saw what qualified last year and thought this would be an easier qualifier. Unfortunately, dozens of kids thought the same thing lol.

I had thought about golfing on Saturday. Instead, I'm heading downtown in the morning to watch the World Cup with a bunch of Swedes. :)

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

A buddy of mine is visiting from Illinois over the weekend, and is staying up in Greeley. He's not a super big golfer, but enjoys the sport enough to bring his clubs with. So I'm taking him to Highland Meadows. Liked the course back in March, and am excited to see what it looks like now in the middle of the golf season.

Funny story about the golf course there - one winter there must have been a doctor playing around the same time as me and somehow they confused me with him and must have put it in the computer, because every time I show up at the pro shop to check in every year or so they refer to me as Doctor .... That first time I had gotten lucky to have warm weather in winter so I was in a hurry to get out and didn't bother correcting them and now it's a running joke between my wife and I.

There is a doctor in Denver with the same name as me. I had to unlist my phone number because his patients kept calling me.

I had an upper endoscopy with him, he also told me to lose weight. I think I'd rather listen to you make fun of my 250 yard drives to be honest.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Thaar, congrats man! Sounds like a fun experience. Keep us updated.

So jealous of you guys that went down to watch those guys at Broadmoor. That course looked brutally tough.

Today was a lot of fun in the US Am qualifier. Even though I played bad and my ball striking sucked, I was happy with my scores of 75-75. My short game kept it together when last year, I would have shot in the 80s easily. I only had two birdies all day. Somehow I'm choosing the toughest fields for the qualifiers. When the pairings came out and I saw the names in the field, I knew it was going to be low scoring, but I didn't think they'd be this low. A lot of good college kids from all over came to this qualifier, I think because they saw what qualified last year (+1). It went from a "softer" field to one of the strongest fields, if not the toughest field in the country. -6 advanced. That is US Open qualifying scores, lol. The medalist shot 61 with two bogies in his first round to break the course record by two strokes. I warmed up next to him on the range and you could tell he was compressing the ball just a little bit better than everyone else just by the sound but I definitely didn't think 61 was out there lol.

I caddied for my buddy yesterday and we played with a Texas A&M teammate of the kid who shot 61; his teammate said he's not at all surprised as the kid who was medalist (Dan Erickson) is a sicko.

I played a practice around Sunday with the kid who shot 67-67 to get the 3rd spot. He was an absolute masher but had an amazing short game to go along with it.

Great couple of days and fun course. My buddy shot 79-74 and we decided it's probably his only time taking a shot at the am and will focus his efforts on mid-am and CGA stuff going forward. The college kids are beasts.

The office was a ghost town at 3pm, so me and some buddies were able to snag a 3:42 tee time at South Suburban. I shot a 42 with 21 putts, and the greens (even if a bit slow) are still as brutal as I remember them.

The key takeaway for me today was finally getting my new driver adjusted this week. It required a lot more elbow grease that I thought humanly possible to remove the clubhead (thanks to PGASS); I've been told this has been a very common issue with Ping drivers. Now it's adjusted back to 9° (previously 10°). I absolutely roped three drives in a row with a high, gentle (YES! GENTLE!!!) draw. Once I get more consistent with it, I might ratchet it down another 1/2 degree.

Meadow Hills tomorrow, Family Sports on Friday with some of you, and Black Bear on Sunday.

Have a great 4th, everyone!

A buddy of mine is visiting from Illinois over the weekend, and is staying up in Greeley. He's not a super big golfer, but enjoys the sport enough to bring his clubs with. So I'm taking him to Highland Meadows. Liked the course back in March, and am excited to see what it looks like now in the middle of the golf season.

It's my favorite affordable/public course on the front range! Great design, plenty of variety, and good greens.

Thaar, congrats man! Sounds like a fun experience. Keep us updated.

So jealous of you guys that went down to watch those guys at Broadmoor. That course looked brutally tough.

Today was a lot of fun in the US Am qualifier. Even though I played bad and my ball striking sucked, I was happy with my scores of 75-75. My short game kept it together when last year, I would have shot in the 80s easily. I only had two birdies all day. Somehow I'm choosing the toughest fields for the qualifiers. When the pairings came out and I saw the names in the field, I knew it was going to be low scoring, but I didn't think they'd be this low. A lot of good college kids from all over came to this qualifier, I think because they saw what qualified last year (+1). It went from a "softer" field to one of the strongest fields, if not the toughest field in the country. -6 advanced. That is US Open qualifying scores, lol. The medalist shot 61 with two bogies in his first round to break the course record by two strokes. I warmed up next to him on the range and you could tell he was compressing the ball just a little bit better than everyone else just by the sound but I definitely didn't think 61 was out there lol.

I caddied for my buddy yesterday and we played with a Texas A&M teammate of the kid who shot 61; his teammate said he's not at all surprised as the kid who was medalist (Dan Erickson) is a sicko.

I played a practice around Sunday with the kid who shot 67-67 to get the 3rd spot. He was an absolute masher but had an amazing short game to go along with it.

Great couple of days and fun course. My buddy shot 79-74 and we decided it's probably his only time taking a shot at the am and will focus his efforts on mid-am and CGA stuff going forward. The college kids are beasts.

Yeah, Dunkle is really good and had the course record prior to Monday. I played with Ott last year when he qualified and was glad to see him qualify again especially since he is the best Am in the State. He has a good shot of making the match play and hopefully he will.

For your buddy, the mid-am qualifier doesn't get any easier. I played with the medalist last year and he shot 65. The CGA stuff is a lot of fun and usually at decent courses. You both should do the Rocky Mountain Open in Grand Junction too.

Shot an 84 at Meadow Hills today. I was 4-over through about 12, then I lost concentration and my game fell apart. We were paired with an older (55-ish) gentleman who is a 2-capper at Saddle Rock. He shot a smooth 2-under 68. His short game was absolutely sick.

I need to play that course more often. It's such a great course; not the most inspiring layout, but I appreciate legit par 3s (three over 200yds) and par 4s (three over 440yds). And the massive trees lining the fairways makes me twitch. The best part is that it's so walkable. Heck, I might consider joining the men's club there. The course was absolutely packed due to the holiday, but we still were able to get around in 4.5 hours, which I consider a win for today.

Always loves the tree lined setup at MH, plus the greens are usually in great shape.

Black Bear is is great shape as well. Played the 1-day member guest a week or so ago. Greens were smooth....

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

So, got my broken 3 wood re-shafted with a Tour AD YSQ shaft. Can't find any info about it online, but it is much much cheaper than their usual line of shafts. It feels a bit more soft at the tip, which I don't like. But I got out and played 18 with it. Left my driver at home so I could get as many 3-wood swings with it. Ended up hitting 50% of fairways and averaging 279 off the tee. Had two 300+ drives with it. And 5 of the 7 missed fairways were within 2 feet of the fairway. So...safe to say...it's working fine!

BUT, with that being said, I just purchased a 917 F3 3+ fairway wood. 13.5º with an Even Flow shaft. Been wanting to try that shaft out, and I'm curious to see if the 13.5º 3 wood can replace a driver all together for me. If it does...I'll have to figure out what else to put at the top of my bag. Because I won't want to go from 13.5 to 15 to 19 (hybrid). I guess I'd want to get like an 18º 5-wood possibly. Or just that P-790 UDI. But that's getting a little ahead of myself. Have to see how I like the strong 3 wood.

Played 36 on Tuesday with my little brother down at Grand National here in Alabama. Certainly my best ball striking ever, but my touch around the greens and putting (normally the best part of my game) was gone. One of those days where I felt like I shot so much better than the card showed. I was -1 after 5, then went bunker to bunker around the green on 6 (wet, heavy sand) and 3 putted for an 8 on a par 5. Followed that up with a 7 on a par 3 with another 3 putt and a push into the water. Went on a birdie/par streak until 14 and did a back to back 8 and 7 again and closed with pars. So I was probably even to -1 without dropping 12 shots on four holes.

That's golf!

So, got my broken 3 wood re-shafted with a Tour AD YSQ shaft. Can't find any info about it online, but it is much much cheaper than their usual line of shafts. It feels a bit more soft at the tip, which I don't like. But I got out and played 18 with it. Left my driver at home so I could get as many 3-wood swings with it. Ended up hitting 50% of fairways and averaging 279 off the tee. Had two 300+ drives with it. And 5 of the 7 missed fairways were within 2 feet of the fairway. So...safe to say...it's working fine!

BUT, with that being said, I just purchased a 917 F3 3+ fairway wood. 13.5º with an Even Flow shaft. Been wanting to try that shaft out, and I'm curious to see if the 13.5º 3 wood can replace a driver all together for me. If it does...I'll have to figure out what else to put at the top of my bag. Because I won't want to go from 13.5 to 15 to 19 (hybrid). I guess I'd want to get like an 18º 5-wood possibly. Or just that P-790 UDI. But that's getting a little ahead of myself. Have to see how I like the strong 3 wood.

If you're hitting a 3w 275-300, do you really need anything longer? That's nuts.

If you're hitting a 3w 275-300, do you really need anything longer? That's nuts.

2 of my drives went 230 and 215. Granted, it was into like 30+mph gusts...but it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. Figured 13.5 might be slightly lower ball flight and allow for more roll on the ground? :x

2 of my drives went 230 and 215. Granted, it was into like 30+mph gusts...but it still left a bitter taste in my mouth. Figured 13.5 might be slightly lower ball flight and allow for more roll on the ground? :x

I was piping my driver and 3w the other day. I couldn't miss a fairway, but got nothing on the roll out. I forgot what golf is like at sea level and where it rains 3-5 times a week. Between that and uphill/downhill shots into greens, I felt like my entire two rounds were constant math problems.

Also, I had the OG YS+ in my driver back in the day. Good shaft, especially when you consider the price is about $200 less than what you had before.

Played MC yesterday with 3 of the men’s club players out scouting for Stroke Play championship and sure enough had to be the tips. 7600 Yards of fun. One of the players did shot -2 on front but then like always the wind came... made the tips painful on back 9 nine.

Game was hit or miss. 13-14 holes of fine....4-5 I would rather forget.

Been under the weather lately.... got done and needed to hug the porcelain friend after. LOL. Nope we were not drinking...

Course though is in excellent conditions if thinking of playing out there.

Hole 17 played 257 yards straight into the WIND.. crazy for a par 3...! If you have played there before then you know its pretty much all carry.

Edit: corrected for terrible phone typing =)

Played MC yesterday with 3 of the men’s club players out scouting for Stroke Play championship and sure enough had to be the tips. 7600 Yards of fun. One of the players did shot -2 on front but then like always the wind came... made the tips painful on back 9 nine.

Game was hit or miss. 13-14 holes of fine....4-5 I would rather forget.

Been under the weather lately.... got done and needed to hug the porcelain friend after. LOL. Nope we were not drinking...

Course though is in excellent conditions if thinking of playing out there.

Hole 17 played 257 yards straight into the WIND.. crazy for a par 3...! If you have played there before then you know its pretty much all carry.

Edit: corrected for terrible phone typing =)

Crap, I'd have to hit driver :(

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Anyone have any experience with graphite shaft extenders? Shaft I'm looking at on eBay right now is super cheap, probably because it's been cut down real short. 65 grams and is only 40" long with no tip on it. Claimed it was pulled from a hybrid (why anyone would want a 65 gram shaft in a hybrid...idk). If the price stays down low enough, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to throw an extender in it to make the shaft 43". Then throw a driver tip on the end making it closer to 43.5", playing 44-44.5" installed in a head?

Anyone have any experience with graphite shaft extenders? Shaft I'm looking at on eBay right now is super cheap, probably because it's been cut down real short. 65 grams and is only 40" long with no tip on it. Claimed it was pulled from a hybrid (why anyone would want a 65 gram shaft in a hybrid...idk). If the price stays down low enough, I'm wondering if it would be worth it to throw an extender in it to make the shaft 43". Then throw a driver tip on the end making it closer to 43.5", playing 44-44.5" installed in a head?

Sounds like it's not recommended.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1415666-maximum-recommended-graphite-shaft-extension/

Only if you have a swing speed of 50 mph. I'd never go over an inch for a long hitter.

Greetings from Michigan! The wife was out doing planning for the sister in laws bridal shower, so I got out to play 36 today.

Brian, I’m not sure how you’re playing golf in Alabama. The first three days we were here it was 90-95 with 50-70% humidity. The heat index was nearly 110 a couple days. It was so muggy I didn’t even want to play.

I’ve decided I need a new putter for my travel bag. I putted atrociously today. I struggled off the tee a bit, but was hitting irons really well. I had like 6-7 three putts between the two rounds. During afternoon had 4-5 good looks at birdie inside 20 feet. Two were inside of 8 feet. Missed all of them. I blame the putter. :-)

Hope everyone had a good 4th, and staying clear of the smoke!

Thanks to DaVinci and Jacob for coming out to play today. It was a fun time.

Greetings from Michigan! The wife was out doing planning for the sister in laws bridal shower, so I got out to play 36 today.

Brian, I'm not sure how you're playing golf in Alabama. The first three days we were here it was 90-95 with 50-70% humidity. The heat index was nearly 110 a couple days. It was so muggy I didn't even want to play.

I've decided I need a new putter for my travel bag. I putted atrociously today. I struggled off the tee a bit, but was hitting irons really well. I had like 6-7 three putts between the two rounds. During afternoon had 4-5 good looks at birdie inside 20 feet. Two were inside of 8 feet. Missed all of them. I blame the putter. :-)

Hope everyone had a good 4th, and staying clear of the smoke!

A willful ignorance and a lot of water.

+3 today at the muni I grew up on. If they hadn't laid sand down on the greens, could have been even better. Back to CO tomorrow!

I miss Colorado golf. Best public golf courses options in the USA.

Walnut. Legacy. Hyland Hills. Broadlands. Eagle Trace. Colorado National. Indian Peaks. Flatirons. Indian tree. West Woods. Riverdale. Fossil. Arrowhead. Meadows. Raccoon creek. Highlands Ranch.

+50 more...

Wow, good stuff.

WITB 2019:

Callaway Epic Flash Sub 0 Driver
Callaway Rogue 3-wood
Callaway Apex MB 3-PW
Chrome 4 Wedges 52 & 56
Ping Anser No.5 Putter

Walnut. Legacy. Hyland Hills. Broadlands. Eagle Trace. Colorado National. Indian Peaks. Flatirons. Indian tree. West Woods. Riverdale. Fossil. Arrowhead. Meadows. Raccoon creek. Highlands Ranch.

+50 more...

Wow, good stuff.

I’ve played all of those other than eagle trace....this year I haven’t play nearly enough variety. Played Fox Hollow twice, Walnut, Evergreen and a couple mountain courses. Other than that it’s been mostly all down south: Ridge, Lone Tree, South Sub, Red Hawk and Plum Creek

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

+50 more...

Wow, good stuff.

Played Common Ground yesterday. We got paired up with 2 out of towners in on confrence. They asked why we did not belong to private clubs and exactly what you noted was the answer. There are good private clubs but there are SOOOO many good local tracks its hard to just play one.

Wish there were some better range memberships though LOL

Hello everyone, I just moved to Denver to start my graduate program. Does anyone know some good men’s leagues around the Lakewood area or courses with solid twilight rates (I’m poor see grad student). Thanks in advance.

Welcome! I'm not sure how to answer that question since I'm not in any leagues, but this is a solid group of guys who will probably overwhelm you with options. Hopefully we'll meet out on the course one of these days.