2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

I miss Colorado golf. Best public golf courses options in the USA.

Walnut. Legacy. Hyland Hills. Broadlands. Eagle Trace. Colorado National. Indian Peaks. Flatirons. Indian tree. West Woods. Riverdale. Fossil. Arrowhead. Meadows. Raccoon creek. Highlands Ranch.

+50 more...

Wow, good stuff.

Played Common Ground yesterday. We got paired up with 2 out of towners in on confrence. They asked why we did not belong to private clubs and exactly what you noted was the answer. There are good private clubs but there are SOOOO many good local tracks its hard to just play one.

Wish there were some better range memberships though LOL

Agreed. The only course that has my interest and is affordable is Fox Hill club but it is too far for me. If you find a range with a membership, let me know lol. The only thing I can find is discounts on range keys.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone, I just moved to Denver to start my graduate program. Does anyone know some good men’s leagues around the Lakewood area or courses with solid twilight rates (I’m poor see grad student). Thanks in advance.

Welcome! I'm not sure how to answer that question since I'm not in any leagues, but this is a solid group of guys who will probably overwhelm you with options. Hopefully we'll meet out on the course one of these days.

Welcome! My buddy loves the men's club at Fox Hollow. Not overly competitive, just a lot of good guys he says. Twilight rates, I don't know of any good deals, maybe Homestead has some deals. To be honest most courses receive a lot of play whether they offer deals or not. If you need cheap golf, Applewood maybe your best choice.

Welcome to Denver and this thread! :)

Hello everyone, I just moved to Denver to start my graduate program. Does anyone know some good men’s leagues around the Lakewood area or courses with solid twilight rates (I’m poor see grad student). Thanks in advance.

Another inexpensive golf course in the Lakewood area is Foothills. It's an okay course.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I miss Colorado golf. Best public golf courses options in the USA.

Walnut. Legacy. Hyland Hills. Broadlands. Eagle Trace. Colorado National. Indian Peaks. Flatirons. Indian tree. West Woods. Riverdale. Fossil. Arrowhead. Meadows. Raccoon creek. Highlands Ranch.

+50 more...

Wow, good stuff.

Played Common Ground yesterday. We got paired up with 2 out of towners in on confrence. They asked why we did not belong to private clubs and exactly what you noted was the answer. There are good private clubs but there are SOOOO many good local tracks its hard to just play one.

Wish there were some better range memberships though LOL

Agreed. The only course that has my interest and is affordable is Fox Hill club but it is too far for me. If you find a range with a membership, let me know lol. The only thing I can find is discounts on range keys.

GVR has the best range pass I can think of and you can pair it with the Par 3 course.

"Friendships born on the field of athletic strife are the real gold of competition.  Awards become corroded; friends gather no dust." -- Jesse Owens

WITB 2024 Edition

• Woods: :cobra-small: LTDx [10.5*, :kbs: TD LE; :cobra-small: RadSpeed Tour [17.5*], :kbs: TD;
  • Hybrid: :cobra-small: King Tec 2019 [21*], :kbs: TD PGI; :mizuno-small: Pro Fli Hi [4ui], :aerotech: Steelfiber HLS880;
  • Irons & Wedges: :KZG: CB-1 [5i - 9i], NovaTech BTR Lite; :mizuno-small: S23, :kbs: 610;
  • Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville One, :kbs: One Step, :garsen: Max;
  • Ball: :bridgestone-small:XS [22];
  • Notables: Best Grips MicroPerf; :cobra-small:-Vessel Tour stand bag; :ShotScope: Pro LX+ with H4; :Clicgear: 3.5+ with Alphard Club Booster V2

tl;dr - my putting sucks.

Ever had one of those golf rounds where everything goes so right, yet so wrong? My driver was fantastic, and my 3-iron off the tee was okay. My approach and par 3 shots? I kid you not when I say I had 12 birdie putts inside 15 feet today (one inside 2ft)--15 GIRs total. MISSED. THEM. ALL. I think 9 of them were at least a foot short. I can hear seven dewey saying, "standard."

Even with a stupid double on 18, I still shot a 77 with zero birdies. I took 3rd in low gross, 1st in low net, won a few side bets, and I took down all CTPs (first time someone has done that in league history). I should never complain about winning $193, but if I had converted half of those birdie putts, I could've been looking at the round of my life on a not so easy course.

Lone Tree on Tuesday, Family Sports on Friday, then GVR next Sunday.

Ever had one of those golf rounds where everything goes so right, yet so wrong? My driver was fantastic, and my 3-iron off the tee was okay. My approach and par 3 shots? I kid you not when I say I had 12 birdie putts inside 15 feet today (one inside 2ft)--15 GIRs total. MISSED. THEM. ALL. I think 9 of them were at least a foot short. I can hear seven dewey saying, "standard."

Even with a stupid double on 18, I still shot a 77 with zero birdies. I took 3rd in low gross, 1st in low net, won a few side bets, and I took down all CTPs (first time someone has done that in league history). I should never complain about winning $193, but if I had converted half of those birdie putts, I could've been looking at the round of my life on a not so easy course.

Wow. That's impressive.

In one of our games if someone gets CTP on all four he gets paid double by everyone. Hasn't happened yet.

Hard not to say anything other than "nice work." But I understand your frustration.

Hard not to say anything other than "nice work." But I understand your frustration.

Also, if Friday night is on, I'm about 95% sure I'm in.

Can anyone recommend a good teaching pro in the west or south Denver metro area? I am around an 8-9 handicap but am considering taking a few lessons to help me quit coming over the top, lose the fade, and hit my irons more solid and consistent. Its been years since I took a lesson and I think I would prefer being outside on grass but am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks!

So this past weekend, I think I reached my capacity for golf. I already posted about playing 36 on Friday. Played 9 on Saturday. Was scheduled to play 18 on Sunday... but ended up playing 36 that day too. Sunday was my sister-in-law's bridal shower. So my soon to be brother-in-law and a cousin of my wife had planned to play late in the afternoon. Saturday night my wife mentioned that they were going to be up and gone earlier than I thought, so I booked a morning tee time for myself. So 81 holes in 3 days... Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

Couple thoughts after playing a bunch out here...

- Golf here is freaking cheap. The most expensive round I played was 8am Sunday morning and was full price $68 for 18 and cart at one of the nicest daily fee course in town. It would easily be $100+ out in CO for a weekend round. The cheapest was 20 to play 18 twilight.

- That said... we're really lucky in CO to have such nice public courses. Of the 4 18 hole rounds I played here in MI, I'd call one excellent, one good, one mediocre, and one pretty crummy. Maybe I just have rose colored nostalgia of places I used to play growing up, and reality doesn't match my memory... or maybe it's just because I can afford to play nicer courses now than I used to... I dunno; but even though there are tons of courses here in MI, there's quite a few that really would be better used as something else. There's some phenomenal private courses around with some serious history (Oakland Hills- 6 US Open's, 2 US Am's, 3 PGA, 2004 Ryder Cup; Meadowbrook- 1955 PGA), but I don't have the right kind of friends to get on those places... LOL.

- Courses here have way too many trees.

- People here are weird about pairing up. My Friday afternoon round, was an off the cuff decision. I ate lunch and then just drove by a course I used to play when growing up around 1pm or so. I checked in with the starter and told him to pair me with whoever. There was a twosome going off in like 10 minutes, but they "didn't want to play with anyone". Ok. Joined another twosome a couple of tee times later. They only played 9, so when I made the turn the foursome in front of us let me go through. I quickly hit the "don't want to play with anyone" twosome on the 11th tee box. They were a older couple, and waiting for the fairway to clear and didn't even look my way. I waited for the fairway to clear and teed off. When I got to my ball the green was clear and they were no where to be found. So I hit my approach and headed up to the green. When I got there, I noticed two balls short of the green and the twosome drove back from the next tee to putt out. I apologized, that I didn't see them. They said the drove away so I'd play up and let me play through. Ok... so that was nice of them. By the 12th green I caught the next twosome in front of me. I waited for them to clear, and finished the hole. I pulled around for the next tee box, but hung back. These guys were a twosome about late 30's or so. They were waiting for the fairway to clear on the threesome ahead of them. One guy came over and we chatted for a sec, and I asked if they wanted to pair up since they were waiting, and that way I wouldn't be breathing down their necks. They told me no, they didn't want to pair up, but insisted that I play through. Ok... that's nice, but now I'm waiting behind a threesome and these two guys waited on me for every shot the last 5 holes. It was just a really weird afternoon.

- Holy f*$#, humidity sucks. Sunday morning I played around 8am. It was low 70's when teeing off and got up to the mid 80's by the time I finished. At 8am there was still a lot of water on the course from the morning watering. I swear, you could feel the water evaporating around you and just saturating the air as the sun came out.

I had a lot of fun this weekend, and may try to play one more time out here on Friday before coming home to CO on Saturday... but I can't wait to get back to the arid CO climate, great public tracks, and my regular bag.

So this past weekend, I think I reached my capacity for golf. I already posted about playing 36 on Friday. Played 9 on Saturday. Was scheduled to play 18 on Sunday... but ended up playing 36 that day too. Sunday was my sister-in-law's bridal shower. So my soon to be brother-in-law and a cousin of my wife had planned to play late in the afternoon. Saturday night my wife mentioned that they were going to be up and gone earlier than I thought, so I booked a morning tee time for myself. So 81 holes in 3 days... Not a bad way to spend a weekend.

Couple thoughts after playing a bunch out here...

- Golf here is freaking cheap. The most expensive round I played was 8am Sunday morning and was full price $68 for 18 and cart at one of the nicest daily fee course in town. It would easily be $100+ out in CO for a weekend round. The cheapest was 20 to play 18 twilight.

- That said... we're really lucky in CO to have such nice public courses. Of the 4 18 hole rounds I played here in MI, I'd call one excellent, one good, one mediocre, and one pretty crummy. Maybe I just have rose colored nostalgia of places I used to play growing up, and reality doesn't match my memory... or maybe it's just because I can afford to play nicer courses now than I used to... I dunno; but even though there are tons of courses here in MI, there's quite a few that really would be better used as something else. There's some phenomenal private courses around with some serious history (Oakland Hills- 6 US Open's, 2 US Am's, 3 PGA, 2004 Ryder Cup; Meadowbrook- 1955 PGA), but I don't have the right kind of friends to get on those places... LOL.

- Courses here have way too many trees.

- People here are weird about pairing up. My Friday afternoon round, was an off the cuff decision. I ate lunch and then just drove by a course I used to play when growing up around 1pm or so. I checked in with the starter and told him to pair me with whoever. There was a twosome going off in like 10 minutes, but they "didn't want to play with anyone". Ok. Joined another twosome a couple of tee times later. They only played 9, so when I made the turn the foursome in front of us let me go through. I quickly hit the "don't want to play with anyone" twosome on the 11th tee box. They were a older couple, and waiting for the fairway to clear and didn't even look my way. I waited for the fairway to clear and teed off. When I got to my ball the green was clear and they were no where to be found. So I hit my approach and headed up to the green. When I got there, I noticed two balls short of the green and the twosome drove back from the next tee to putt out. I apologized, that I didn't see them. They said the drove away so I'd play up and let me play through. Ok... so that was nice of them. By the 12th green I caught the next twosome in front of me. I waited for them to clear, and finished the hole. I pulled around for the next tee box, but hung back. These guys were a twosome about late 30's or so. They were waiting for the fairway to clear on the threesome ahead of them. One guy came over and we chatted for a sec, and I asked if they wanted to pair up since they were waiting, and that way I wouldn't be breathing down their necks. They told me no, they didn't want to pair up, but insisted that I play through. Ok... that's nice, but now I'm waiting behind a threesome and these two guys waited on me for every shot the last 5 holes. It was just a really weird afternoon.

- Holy f*$#, humidity sucks. Sunday morning I played around 8am. It was low 70's when teeing off and got up to the mid 80's by the time I finished. At 8am there was still a lot of water on the course from the morning watering. I swear, you could feel the water evaporating around you and just saturating the air as the sun came out.

I had a lot of fun this weekend, and may try to play one more time out here on Friday before coming home to CO on Saturday... but I can't wait to get back to the arid CO climate, great public tracks, and my regular bag.

Oh man. I can totally relate to three of your points.

My brother and I had the first tee time at Grand National last Tuesday. We were told by the starter to wait until exactly 7:00 to tee off, so we hung by the booth until he let us roll. We come down the hill and there's a twosome already parked by the tee box. I knew we were a foursome to start the day and had no issue with that, so I asked the guys if they were also at 7. They just kind of stared, slid out of the way, and pointed to the tee box for us to go ahead. Not a word was said. So we teed off and then waited for them to go and they stood there and waved us on to play our next shots. I never got the full story, but explained it to the marshal on the 18th green (we played 18 in about 2:30...amazing) and he asked who the guys were. Apparently the best I can tell is they're semi-regulars and all the marshal said was "be glad you didn't play with them."

On Friday I went over to the course I grew up playing to get a quick walking 9 in while the baby napped (Greg, it was about 12:30 and hotter than the surface of the sun, plus humidity). Really casual place, no tee times needed. The first time I played there after about a decade of not, I called to book a time and they laughed at me. So knowing this, I pulled up, walked in and paid, and walked to the tee box. A threesome pulled up right before I walked out of the shop, so I figured I'd play with them since it was only 9 holes. I asked and they politely refused. There was a foursome finishing their second shots, but these guys were adamant about me walking alone...so I didn't bother fighting it. Ended up catching the foursome on the second hole and they mercifully let me play through. Walked 9 in the sweltering heat, was +3 on bumpy, sandy greens, and was back home before the baby even woke up from her nap. Gotta love a course that's only a half mile from home.

But yeah, I don't get these non-group type players. Had it happen here once or twice at Murphy too.

Also, golf in the south is absurdly cheap as well. That local course is like $500 for a yearly unrestricted membership. Grand National, where they play PGA Tour events, is $85 for unlimited summer play WITH lunch included. And annual memberships are dirt cheap, if I recall.

And way too many trees.

seven dewey and I played Lone Tree after work today with some of my work buddies. The greens were harder than concrete, and the pin placements (on a Tuesday) were bleepin' brutal. It caused someone in this post (not me ;)) to four-putt from about 15 feet. If it wasn't for two holes for each of us, we would've shot pretty darn well.

Man, courses out here are too packed to allow people the option to not pair up. Most places I go as a single, and I think I can count on one hand how many times I actually played by myself in the past 4 years. Even late twilight rounds I end up getting paired with people. I think the marshal/pro shop would have a stroke if I declined pairing up with someone.

Can anyone recommend a good teaching pro in the west or south Denver metro area? I am around an 8-9 handicap but am considering taking a few lessons to help me quit coming over the top, lose the fade, and hit my irons more solid and consistent. Its been years since I took a lesson and I think I would prefer being outside on grass but am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Thanks!

I haven’t done any lessons West or south, but I take regular lessons with Geoff Grieg who is teaching at GVR now. I think he’s awesome and the training facility at GVR is great. Unfortunately it’s out by the airport so may be too out of the way for you.

Thanks!

I haven't done any lessons West or south, but I take regular lessons with Geoff Grieg who is teaching at GVR now. I think he's awesome and the training facility at GVR is great. Unfortunately it's out by the airport so may be too out of the way for you.

Is the setup at GVR similar to like Rick Shiels/Peter Finch? An indoor bay that you you hit out of + launch monitors? So you can see your real ball flight and also get all the data included?

I really don't like hitting into screens indoors and only having 10 feet of ball data being tracked. I also don't like the idea of taking lessons on a range outdoors without the use of launch monitors.

Thanks!

I haven't done any lessons West or south, but I take regular lessons with Geoff Grieg who is teaching at GVR now. I think he's awesome and the training facility at GVR is great. Unfortunately it's out by the airport so may be too out of the way for you.

Is the setup at GVR similar to like Rick Shiels/Peter Finch? An indoor bay that you you hit out of + launch monitors? So you can see your real ball flight and also get all the data included?

I really don't like hitting into screens indoors and only having 10 feet of ball data being tracked. I also don't like the idea of taking lessons on a range outdoors without the use of launch monitors.

I don't use the launch monitor with Geoff, so I don't know how it works if you want to use it. I just hit off the grass range with him and he'll video on his tablet to show me stuff. In the winter we've done some stuff indoors with video but haven't done much on the monitor.

For me personally, I don't care about the numbers at this point in my lesson/swing progression, I just care about getting a more consistent and solid strike. The last thing I need is to be worrying about what the Trackman numbers say. Geoff's completely overhauled my swing and I'm about a month into completely changing my takeaway and finally getting comfortable with it. If I was worrying about numbers on top of that...ugh, no chance. I like to keep things as simple as I can.

Edit: But, next time I see him for a lesson, I'll ask him about whether they ever do the type of setup you are describing with hitting outside but having the monitor there tracking.

I think I ordered from them once probably a decade ago. I had no complaints--but I didn't have to return anything, either.

HI All,

Anybody ever order from RockBottomGolf?

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com

They have a good price on some shoes I'm looking at, but their online reviews concern me a little bit (ie: not getting what you order or hassles on returns).

I've had a few orders from them. No issues, so no returns needed and their shipping was even faster than expected.

I'd say if it's a good deal, jump on it.

HI All,

Anybody ever order from RockBottomGolf?

https://www.rockbottomgolf.com

They have a good price on some shoes I'm looking at, but their online reviews concern me a little bit (ie: not getting what you order or hassles on returns).

I've had a few orders from them. No issues, so no returns needed and their shipping was even faster than expected.

I'd say if it's a good deal, jump on it.

Ordered some shirts from them a couple of times for really good prices and no issues.

So tossing out a new subject.....

In the last few years I have set a goal to try and "knock off" a number of new courses. I adjust it based on what I know and what I have for family aspects each year. My goal is 8-10 min... BUT would love to do 20 a year... finding that can be pretty expensive as after living here for 20+ year I have found I need to travel if you have been in the same area for a long time.

Does anyone else have a goal like that? Or given all the great local courses are you content with what is around here?

Edit: Dont get me wrong we do have some great local tracks..!

In the last few years I have set a goal to try and "knock off" a number of new courses. I adjust it based on what I know and what I have for family aspects each year. My goal is 8-10 min... BUT would love to do 20 a year... finding that can be pretty expensive as after living here for 20+ year I have found I need to travel if you have been in the same area for a long time.

Does anyone else have a goal like that? Or given all the great local courses are you content with what is around here?

Not a goal, necessarily, but my Google maps is littered with marked "want to go" courses. I always try to locate 2-3 courses when we go on vacation, since golf's typically a good part of my vacation experience. We're currently debating between England/Scotland/Wales, Spain, or Germany for a vacation after the games in November in England. I'm so impartial to where we go on the vacation front, but the golfer in me really wants to play some courses in the cold and probably wet in England/Scotland.

Not right now, but it's something I'm looking forward to when I kick my kids out of the house.

Thanks to seven dewey, Jacob, Brian, and CDM for coming out (and bringing friends). We had 8 players tonight, and it was a great time. E-mail will be sent on Monday.

Extra thanks to Jacob for reassuring me that I don’t have the game to hit a driving iron! :) that thing was nice though, I think you’ll find a lot of fairways with it

It was fun. And family sports is actually pretty enjoyable when the pace of play is good. That was the first time in 20+ times playing it where it wasn’t backed up on every hole

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Extra thanks to Jacob for reassuring me that I don’t have the game to hit a driving iron! :) that thing was nice though, I think you’ll find a lot of fairways with it

It was fun. And family sports is actually pretty enjoyable when the pace of play is good. That was the first time in 20+ times playing it where it wasn’t backed up on every hole

I've noticed at a bunch of courses that Fridays after work can be a really good time to go. Few leagues and everyone else is going out to restaurants etc..

The second I held that 2 iron I knew there was no way in hell I'd make clean contact with a club like that.

Thanks!

Jason Preeo at Meta Golf at Broken Tee is really good.