Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Been a good week lately! This past Friday, I flew to San Diego to get fit for my set of Cobra clubs. Brandon Dickinson fit me and he was awesome. Best fitting experience I’ve had to date – I’ve done Miles of Golf for my first set back in Michigan in college, GolfTec ~12yrs ago using a Mizuno fitting cart, D’Lance, and most recently Club Champion. Their setup is at Encinitas Ranch Golf Club at the back of the range. We first talked about my game, goals, reviewed some of my Arccos data, and talked about any interests/direction I had regarding clubs and overall setup. I let him know that I wanted to keep an open mind during the process, but wasn’t really interested in going the one length route since I really don’t practice aside from a few times early in the year. I did mention that I really liked the profile of the Forged Tours since they had a thinner topline than the Forged Tec Black (FTB).

Brandon had me warm up with the FTB with the Project X LZ 6.0, which is the current shaft I have in my Mizuno’s. They didn’t feel good or perform well for me at all, so I started the session fairly skeptical, thinking all of these people were full of it saying the FTB’s were amazing lol. After watching my swing and hearing my feedback, Brandon switched me into a Modus 120 shaft. The feel immediately got better and I was hopeful again! The Trackman data wasn’t quite what he was looking for overall – he was primarily looking at spin, launch angle, descent angle, grouping, smash factor, and of course distance; so we moved to a bunch of other shafts. I tried to go in blind as to not have any bias while I was hitting clubs, so I really don’t know all of the shafts I hit. I know I hit the Modus 120 and 130, Project X LZ 6.0 and 6.5, C-Taper Lite x-stiff, AMT 100x, and probably a couple others, but I wasn’t paying attention to what I was hitting at the time. As for heads, we primarily focused on the Forged Tour and FTB. We had a good setup with the Forged Tours, but Brandon believed we could get better numbers and take advantage of the better technology in the FTB. He kept making subtle tweaks here and there until we found the perfect combo – I started calling him the magician lol. At the end of the day, we went with FTB 5-PW with AMT X100 soft-stepped once 1.5* up with Lamkin Wrap Tec grips. I was pretty surprised that I was fit into an x-stiff shaft, albeit soft-stepped, but I couldn’t argue with the results. The irons simply felt amazing.

I won’t go into the details of the rest of the fitting for the rest of my bag since this is already pretty long, but it was awesome. Brandon is super knowledgeable and loves the challenge to find the perfect setup. We tried a bunch of different configurations trying to get everything dialed in. The rest of my bag looks like this:

Driver: F8+ w/ EvenFlow 65x tipped 1”

3/4 wood: F8 15.5* Draw w/ Tour AD IZ-7S tipped 1”

Driving iron: King Utility 18.5* w/ Tensei shaft (I can’t remember which one)

Hybrid: King OS 19* w/ UST SmacWrap 780ES F5

Irons: FTB 5-PW w/ AMT X100 soft-stepped 1x

Wedges: 52/54/58 w/ AMT S400

After we wrapped up, Brandon let me hit some of the setups Rickie and Bryson have and gave me a quick rundown of the tour truck. The one length is pretty cool overall. I hit the utility 3-iron one length. Setup like a 7i and make your normal swing. It was kind of a trip to see the ball come out so low when setting up like that, but obviously it makes sense.

After the fitting, I went to grab lunch, then had the pleasure of meeting Mike Yagley, who is the Sr Director of Innovation with Cobra Puma Golf. He gave me a really cool tour of CPG’s headquarters and chatted it up about their business and where they’re going. CPG is lucky to have Mike on their team – couldn’t be a nicer, more genuine guy, not to mention super smart. He was trying to setup a round of golf the next day, but that fell through unfortunately. Luckily for me though, him and a few others on the Cobra Connect/Arccos side, had a trip out here in Colorado so he invited me out for their presentation, lunch and a round at Fossil Trace. Great time for sure! I will say I was a bit surprised to see Mike (~6hcp) playing the F8’s as I’ve always understood them to be more of a GI club, but he absolutely killed it with them. He showed me his Arccos data and the gapping throughout his bag is spot on.

I have been really impressed with CPG thus far. They have a great product, and great people. I feel they were really smart to partner with Arccos too. It is an awesome tool for all golfers out there – those who want to endlessly mine data, those that want a quick snapshot of performance to help them make better course and club decisions, or for those that want to use the caddy feature to help them determine what club to hit while on the course.

I don’t know when I’ll get my clubs, but I know the FTB’s are back-ordered a bit. Hopefully I’ll get everything by the end of next week so I can get a couple rounds in with them before our club championship!

TL/DR? – Cobra Puma Golf is awesome, and the fitting was amazing! If you want to get fit for a set of clubs and can make the trip to San Diego, do it! Oh, and Arccos rocks too - great tool for sure!

To spoil my week a bit though...I lost my match play this morning in the quarter finals :(. My short game and putting were best they've been all year, but my approach shots simply sucked, so I lost on the 17th hole after he sunk a 25 footer on 15 to halve :angry:

Oh and for those that enjoy playing GVR, it is in fantastic shape right now. Their new bunkers are amazing (I was in 5 of them today lol), and they have these cool new rakes that look like one of the hoppers that you roll over golf balls to collect them. I'm sure I'm giving a terrible description of it, so let me see if I can find a pic of it. They work really well - it was oddly fun using it lol.

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't for the life of me figure out how to find this thing on google lol. The bunker rakes kind of looked like this, but more elongated.

maxresdefault.jpg

Edel E-1

Oh and for those that enjoy playing GVR, it is in fantastic shape right now. Their new bunkers are amazing (I was in 5 of them today lol), and they have these cool new rakes that look like one of the hoppers that you roll over golf balls to collect them. I'm sure I'm giving a terrible description of it, so let me see if I can find a pic of it. They work really well - it was oddly fun using it lol.

This thing? I played GVR on Sunday, and we had the old rakes. I feel gypped!

Introducing-the-Chief-Standard-Golf%E2%80%99s-New-Bunker-Rake.jpeg

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

No, it's more like the hopper thing I posted. You apparently need to go back to GVR this weekend and hit a few balls in the bunker to achieve true joy :lol:

Edel E-1

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but a pretty good chance to play sanctuary....if you’ve got some extra cash, it’s a decent deal.

https://www.colorado...f-hall-of-fame/

That really isn't that bad of a price.

It's too bad it's in the middle of the week though. Although, Sanctuary probably is enough of a reason to call in sick to work.

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but a pretty good chance to play sanctuary....if you’ve got some extra cash, it’s a decent deal.

Yup, I was looking at that, too. Consider other tournaments at Sanctuary charge up to $6000 per foursome, this is a steal.

Random question: does West Woods' clubhouse have a locker room/shower facility? I need to head to downtown after golf on Sunday for dinner, and it would be nice to freshen up.

I do not think they have a shower. There is the YMCA or the Apex Center close by, but they will probably charge the entry fee ($5 to $10 if I recall).

drn92

Yup, I was looking at that, too. Consider other tournaments at Sanctuary charge up to $6000 per foursome, this is a steal.

it is..... HMMMMMM

Still bummed I missed my chance at a round there last month.

Been a good week lately! This past Friday, I flew to San Diego to get fit for my set of Cobra clubs. Brandon Dickinson fit me and he was awesome. Best fitting experience I’ve had to date – I’ve done Miles of Golf for my first set back in Michigan in college, GolfTec ~12yrs ago using a Mizuno fitting cart, D’Lance, and most recently Club Champion. Their setup is at Encinitas Ranch Golf Club at the back of the range. We first talked about my game, goals, reviewed some of my Arccos data, and talked about any interests/direction I had regarding clubs and overall setup. I let him know that I wanted to keep an open mind during the process, but wasn’t really interested in going the one length route since I really don’t practice aside from a few times early in the year. I did mention that I really liked the profile of the Forged Tours since they had a thinner topline than the Forged Tec Black (FTB).

Brandon had me warm up with the FTB with the Project X LZ 6.0, which is the current shaft I have in my Mizuno’s. They didn’t feel good or perform well for me at all, so I started the session fairly skeptical, thinking all of these people were full of it saying the FTB’s were amazing lol. After watching my swing and hearing my feedback, Brandon switched me into a Modus 120 shaft. The feel immediately got better and I was hopeful again! The Trackman data wasn’t quite what he was looking for overall – he was primarily looking at spin, launch angle, descent angle, grouping, smash factor, and of course distance; so we moved to a bunch of other shafts. I tried to go in blind as to not have any bias while I was hitting clubs, so I really don’t know all of the shafts I hit. I know I hit the Modus 120 and 130, Project X LZ 6.0 and 6.5, C-Taper Lite x-stiff, AMT 100x, and probably a couple others, but I wasn’t paying attention to what I was hitting at the time. As for heads, we primarily focused on the Forged Tour and FTB. We had a good setup with the Forged Tours, but Brandon believed we could get better numbers and take advantage of the better technology in the FTB. He kept making subtle tweaks here and there until we found the perfect combo – I started calling him the magician lol. At the end of the day, we went with FTB 5-PW with AMT X100 soft-stepped once 1.5* up with Lamkin Wrap Tec grips. I was pretty surprised that I was fit into an x-stiff shaft, albeit soft-stepped, but I couldn’t argue with the results. The irons simply felt amazing.

I won’t go into the details of the rest of the fitting for the rest of my bag since this is already pretty long, but it was awesome. Brandon is super knowledgeable and loves the challenge to find the perfect setup. We tried a bunch of different configurations trying to get everything dialed in. The rest of my bag looks like this:

Driver: F8+ w/ EvenFlow 65x tipped 1”

3/4 wood: F8 15.5* Draw w/ Tour AD IZ-7S tipped 1”

Driving iron: King Utility 18.5* w/ Tensei shaft (I can’t remember which one)

Hybrid: King OS 19* w/ UST SmacWrap 780ES F5

Irons: FTB 5-PW w/ AMT X100 soft-stepped 1x

Wedges: 52/54/58 w/ AMT S400

After we wrapped up, Brandon let me hit some of the setups Rickie and Bryson have and gave me a quick rundown of the tour truck. The one length is pretty cool overall. I hit the utility 3-iron one length. Setup like a 7i and make your normal swing. It was kind of a trip to see the ball come out so low when setting up like that, but obviously it makes sense.

After the fitting, I went to grab lunch, then had the pleasure of meeting Mike Yagley, who is the Sr Director of Innovation with Cobra Puma Golf. He gave me a really cool tour of CPG’s headquarters and chatted it up about their business and where they’re going. CPG is lucky to have Mike on their team – couldn’t be a nicer, more genuine guy, not to mention super smart. He was trying to setup a round of golf the next day, but that fell through unfortunately. Luckily for me though, him and a few others on the Cobra Connect/Arccos side, had a trip out here in Colorado so he invited me out for their presentation, lunch and a round at Fossil Trace. Great time for sure! I will say I was a bit surprised to see Mike (~6hcp) playing the F8’s as I’ve always understood them to be more of a GI club, but he absolutely killed it with them. He showed me his Arccos data and the gapping throughout his bag is spot on.

I have been really impressed with CPG thus far. They have a great product, and great people. I feel they were really smart to partner with Arccos too. It is an awesome tool for all golfers out there – those who want to endlessly mine data, those that want a quick snapshot of performance to help them make better course and club decisions, or for those that want to use the caddy feature to help them determine what club to hit while on the course.

I don’t know when I’ll get my clubs, but I know the FTB’s are back-ordered a bit. Hopefully I’ll get everything by the end of next week so I can get a couple rounds in with them before our club championship!

TL/DR? – Cobra Puma Golf is awesome, and the fitting was amazing! If you want to get fit for a set of clubs and can make the trip to San Diego, do it! Oh, and Arccos rocks too - great tool for sure!

To spoil my week a bit though...I lost my match play this morning in the quarter finals :(. My short game and putting were best they've been all year, but my approach shots simply sucked, so I lost on the 17th hole after he sunk a 25 footer on 15 to halve :angry:

Tim, so stoked for you and your experience. What a treat for you!

I've long been a fan of their wood offerings, and have been salivating over the FB and FTB since they came out. It'll take a lot to pry my JPX out of my hands, but I like to think only those or newer stuff for Mizuno could do it. Just so pretty to look at. Let's try to get a round up once you've got them in the bag. I want to see them in play!

Also, it's time to plan the COWRX 2018 Outing.

I'm no weather man, so predicting wind/rain is impossible, but I think if we play earlier in the year, we have a better shot at a good day.

I'll toss out some dates I'm around and we can discuss from there:

Saturday/Sunday - August 4/5

Saturday/Sunday - August 11/12 (both days I'd have to be back by 4PM)

Saturday/Sunday - August 18/19 (preferred)

Saturday/Sunday - September 22/23

Saturday/Sunday - October 6/7

I'm out most of Sept. for U.S. Soccer duty, and may have a work trip the last weekend in August as well, and am at a wedding the third weekend in Sept. as well. These days above are probably the ones I could easily do...but if something works better for the group, that's fine!

Location suggestions?

I was already planning on playing in that if I could find a team or if they had an extra spot open on a team. Anyone else interested? $350 is definitely the cheapest price I've seen for any of the charity events there.

I was already planning on playing in that if I could find a team or if they had an extra spot open on a team. Anyone else interested? $350 is definitely the cheapest price I've seen for any of the charity events there.

I would be interested. Do you have to have an entire foursome to play?

I would be interested. Do you have to have an entire foursome to play?

They are only accepting full 4 person teams with someone putting up the $1400 when registering at this point in time. Maybe they'll open it up to partial teams as it gets closer, but I don't know.

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a foursome committed. Can't wait to play. My birthday is the 12th, so I'm treating myself...

I'd be interested in COWRX but August is already all booked up. I can do either weekend in Sept / Oct.

Tim - your experience sounds phenomenal!! So jealous. For information sake would love to see the TM data to see what swayed the decision one way or the other.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

That really isn't that bad of a price.

It's too bad it's in the middle of the week though. Although, Sanctuary probably is enough of a reason to call in sick to work.

I agree. I hate to sound unappreciative but the views were nice but to me the course was just meh.... and I got to play for free. I will add that the staff there were incredibly nice and helpful.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I'm no weather man, so predicting wind/rain is impossible, but I think if we play earlier in the year, we have a better shot at a good day.

I'm out most of Sept. for U.S. Soccer duty, and may have a work trip the last weekend in August as well, and am at a wedding the third weekend in Sept. as well. These days above are probably the ones I could easily do...but if something works better for the group, that's fine!

Location suggestions?

I'm down. These dates work for me as of now.

Saturday/Sunday - August 18/19

And as for location - Meadow Hills, Murphy Creek, Riverdale Dunes, GVR, The Ridge, other. We're lucky out here to have so many great courses, so we really can't go wrong.

Edel E-1

I'd be interested in COWRX but August is already all booked up. I can do either weekend in Sept / Oct.

Tim - your experience sounds phenomenal!! So jealous. For information sake would love to see the TM data to see what swayed the decision one way or the other.

He sent me a huge pdf with everything, so I'll have to dig through it.

Edel E-1

Am I surprised... not really. 2.5X/3.0X is the norm for almost all companies that sell "services", not sure honestly on hard goods but I could see 4X..

I had this debate one day golfing with client a few years back about a putter.....it was his CIRCLE T putter he uses. IT was really nice and the finish was excellent but when he said he paid $4700 I gave him that look of WTF..! I know they are expensive but still. I told him its nuts and more a status thing, but its his money, not mine.

We discussed "relativity" of fees and he used our company as an example. If I give him a fee of say 5K he knows we will spend 35-45 hours doing the work. So roughly 40 hours of effort. Roughly $100 per hour.

So if Scotty (if he makes them himself??) makes the Circle T by hand do you think it takes a week? HELL NO I noted =). To even get close to a fee like that the head would need to be CNC produced in house (which I think they do actually...) but I am sure a 009 is already all programmed in the lath..! Just sit back and watch it mill away... =)

I noted someone does have to do by hand the final shaping / stamping / polishing / paint fill / assembly and set the specs of the order. So I conceded 2 maybe 3 days of labor in the putter.

Based on that though I could see $1800-$2600 alone in labor plus cost of materials. I figure the putter cost MAX with all hand labor is 2K-3K with mark up if all hand built.... again most being labor. Does that make the putter worth 4700....NOPE.... at least not to me.. But I could see the math. Like anything what is someone willing to pay.

Location suggestions?

August 18-19 or September 22/23 works for me.

Man, i wish there were a way I could get out of work to do that 104.3 outing at Colorado Golf Club.

Tim- that sounds like an awesome fitting experience. I’ve got between now and next season to convince the wife I need a full bag fitting and a new set of sticks.

Brian- I’m likely up for any weekend in August or September. When does the new TPC supposed to start taking public rounds? That might be a cool place for everyone to get together.

Man, i wish there were a way I could get out of work to do that 104.3 outing at Colorado Golf Club.

Tim- that sounds like an awesome fitting experience. I’ve got between now and next season to convince the wife I need a full bag fitting and a new set of sticks.

Brian- I’m likely up for any weekend in August or September. When does the new TPC supposed to start taking public rounds? That might be a cool place for everyone to get together.

TPC opens in August for public play. Should be $150/pp

Edit- not sure if cart is included in that price or not. Its been extra when I’ve played.

Shot a 41 at Lone Tree tonight. +4 on the par 3s; and I missed about four birdie putts inside 15 feet. So goes life. Holy crap it was hot.

Edit- not sure if cart is included in that price or not. Its been extra when I’ve played.

Assuming we don't play from the tips (I know, deal-breaker for seven dewey), is it a walkable course? Is it forever between green and the next tee?

Tim- that sounds like an awesome fitting experience. I've got between now and next season to convince the wife I need a full bag fitting and a new set of sticks.

Brian- I'm likely up for any weekend in August or September. When does the new TPC supposed to start taking public rounds? That might be a cool place for everyone to get together.

A cart is $20 extra.

The new "rakes" GVR has are called the bunker wizard.

https://www.momentussports.com/product/bunker-wizard/

While it does make it perfectly smooth I'm not sure how I feel about making what is supposed to be a penalty even easier. Hopefully the novelty of this will get those idiots who don't rake to actually do it for a change.