Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

I'm not sure how well it would work out here but one of the best public courses I ever putted on back east in Maryland gave away ball mark repair tools with the greens fee and had a sign next to every green reminding to please fix your ball marks. I know I can't afford private club life but I'm astounded at how many people don't fix their marks, don't rake the traps and don't show very much respect at all for their fellow players.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure how well it would work out here but one of the best public courses I ever putted on back east in Maryland gave away ball mark repair tools with the greens fee and had a sign next to every green reminding to please fix your ball marks. I know I can't afford private club life but I'm astounded at how many people don't fix their marks, don't rake the traps and don't show very much respect at all for their fellow players.

I go to practice areas and rake the bunkers after using them, like any sane person. I can't recall seeing anyone else do that, and rarely see it on-course. I thought that was basic etiquette. And I'm with you about being astounded at how few people fix pitch marks. You honestly don't need a tool! Just use a tee.

Some photos from the region I mentioned

Wow - My camera and I would easily spend a couple of weeks there.

Edit : Forgot to say those are some nice images you shot. Would look awesome printed large and hung on your wall. What camera did you shoot those with?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

All good! Did you play Gullane while up there? I’m waffling on what my other course to play will be around Edinburgh.

No we didn't. I had to rent clubs since there was no way I'm lugging mine on a 12 month world tour so I just asked the guy I rented from what courses he recommended and basically played all of them.

My take after 3 weeks around Edinburgh: If you're playing a course around Edinburgh my hands-down favorite was Dunbar Links. That one will be pricey ($120ish) but it was without a doubt the best links course we played sans Carnoustie 5 days after the Open. Honestly, any good links course near Edinburgh is going to be expensive. If you're on a budget and want to stay near or in Edinburgh go play Braid Hills. It's a super fun and quirky course that was fantastic and has some stunning views of Edinburgh.

If you're willing to travel north to the isle of Fife (about an hour) my favorite bang for the buck links course was the Eden Course at St. Andrews. The Eden course was sadly one of the few that was a more tournament style with super undulated greens and really made you think. One of the other overall favorites was the Kittocks Course at Fairmont St. Andrews. It's a new course so it's not really links style but overall it was a fantastic golf course, especially for $50ish. Let me know if you want any other opinions. We stuck to the east coast for golf as the weather is much better.

I'm sure it will take time to adjust to the new rules. Not sure about putting with the pin in though.

What's wrong with that? I personally think it's harder so what's wrong with someone taking a voluntary disadvantage? I do it all the time when practicing or playing alone anyway so meh.

So Dancin had it spot on about Thorncreek. Playable but would give it one more year to grow in.

The fairways are a bit thicjk as if they dont want cut them to thin right now and on a hole or two still has bare spots. Which is odd as they told everyone they spent 9 Million on the revisions and club house which a big part was the sprinkler system..?

Greens did roll true and the new ones do have more contouring. Once it grows in more will be fine. Right now you cant land it short and bounce on as Dancin noted which is needed to front pins which 25% where of course. Every drive I hit was all carry and would leave a huge ball mark whithin 1 foot of where it stopped.

We ended up -7 for team in a 4 man scramble.... Winning score was only -10 so tells you it was playing a bit difficult for a scramble =)

Welcome to all the new thread posters.

Joel have a sweet time, pretty jealous :D

Thanks man. It's a once in a lifetime trip. Wife and I quit our jobs, sold most everything, put the rest in storage and took off with backpacks. So far we have been gone 4.5 months and seen 12 countries. We are currently holed up in Lido di Scanzano, Italy. The plan from here is to tour Italy for the next month or so before heading east to Croatia and Greece until near the end of October. From there we will go to Hong Kong for a week or so before meeting our friends in Thailand. After Thailand things are up in the air. Our ideas are a month or so in Indonesia (Bali anyone?!?!?) before going to New Zealand and renting a camper for a month to drive around and see what we can. We will head home likely sometime in the Jan-Apr window when we're either sick of traveling or run out of money.

I just think it could slow down play if say 2 people want the flag in and the other 2 want it out. More time messing around the hole and on the green. Plus my thought was that the additional traffic by the hole could cause "spike" marks and depressions from the traffic. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Edit : Forgot to say those are some nice images you shot. Would look awesome printed large and hung on your wall. What camera did you shoot those with?

Credit for the photos should go to my wife :).

She has a Nikon D800 with a multitude of lenses, I'd have to ask which she used for these photos. PM if you wish to know her setup and I can get it back to you.

Oddly enough, some of these exact pictures are hanging on the walls of our house

My wife loves scenic photography and we have pictures on the walls chronicling our journeys. She always says the pictures in the house are of scenery or our son and me, she's never in the pictures, because I always struggle to work her camera and take pictures that pass muster to make it on the walls.

I just think it could slow down play if say 2 people want the flag in and the other 2 want it out. More time messing around the hole and on the green. Plus my thought was that the additional traffic by the hole could cause "spike" marks and depressions from the traffic. Maybe I'm just overthinking it.

My interpretation of the putting with the flag in rule is to speed up play. Say one guy is struggling on the hole and the other 3 players are all on the putting surface but two of them are 60 feet from the hole. Those guys can comfortably hit their lag putts with no worry about a penalty or the need to have the flag tended while the 4th guy goes to prepare for his next shot.

The majority of slow play comes on or around the green from what I witness week in and week out. I think anything that can help speed up that part of the game is a good thing.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

She has a Nikon D800 with a multitude of lenses, I'd have to ask which she used for these photos. PM if you wish to know her setup and I can get it back to you.

Oddly enough, some of these exact pictures are hanging on the walls of our house

My wife loves scenic photography and we have pictures on the walls chronicling our journeys. She always says the pictures in the house are of scenery or our son and me, she's never in the pictures, because I always struggle to work her camera and take pictures that pass muster to make it on the walls.

As primary photographer in our house, I know how that goes. I'm never in the pictures.

Tell your wife that she snaps some good stuff! Pretty shots you posted here.

My interpretation of the putting with the flag in rule is to speed up play. Say one guy is struggling on the hole and the other 3 players are all on the putting surface but two of them are 60 feet from the hole. Those guys can comfortably hit their lag putts with no worry about a penalty or the need to have the flag tended while the 4th guy goes to prepare for his next shot.

The majority of slow play comes on or around the green from what I witness week in and week out. I think anything that can help speed up that part of the game is a good thing.

I

I hope that's the case. I'm pretty sure I'm just overthinking it.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

We have 1-2 spots open for this Thursday evening (4:42 and 4:51) at South Suburban. As an added bonus, you won't be paired up in the same group as me. :)

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I did a ton of landscape photography pre-kids. You wife has a good eye and a great camera (I have a D700).

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

This was my understanding as well. Not an option to decide if you want in it from 8 feet after it's been pulled.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

But what if you have slick 10' downhiller, it might be beneficial to put the flag back in right? in 2019 that's totally within the rules correct OR do I misunderstand the rules?

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

But what if you have slick 10' downhiller, it might be beneficial to put the flag back in right? in 2019 that's totally within the rules correct OR do I misunderstand the rules?

It will be within the rules, but that also means if the ball has any significant speed, you have to hit the flagstick square for any chance of the ball going in. If the ball is speedy and slightly off-center, with the pin out, you have a chance of toilet-bowling it in; with the pin in, it will most likely bounce off the flagstick and roll away from the hole.

I'll second (third, fourth?) what everyone else has said. Those photos are gorgeous! Although I'm a Canon guy myself. :p

Also, definitely have a very big lacking of photographs with me in them, as I'm always taking pictures. Which is why I have an embarrassingly large amount of selfies for a 30 year old man.

Another example would be if we all missed the green. I chip first, and it ends up 2" from the hole. I can quickly run up there and tap in without having to take the flag out. Or I can hold the flag and tap-in; not being able to hole out while holding the flag is one of the stupidest rules ever.

Or I can hold the flag and tap-in; not being able to hole out while holding the flag is one of the stupidest rules ever.

Yup. Wasn't aware of this rule my freshman year of high school golf. Did it in a match. Chipped up close, walked up to it, took the flag out and one-handed tapped in while holding the flag. My coach happened to be on that hole watching play, and informed me I had to take a penalty for it. I was pretty peeved.

How 'bout that. I learn something new every day.

Jacob, I would put a flaming bag of dog poop on your golf coach's doorstep.

I'm pretty sure it is legal to hold the flagstick while putting.

This is correct. I'm not sure if it always was the case or not, but we just looked this one up a few weeks ago and it is legal.

I always thought you couldn't putt while holding your bag on your back, another club, the flag, a rake, etc because it could be used for balance or something....

Another example would be if we all missed the green. I chip first, and it ends up 2" from the hole. I can quickly run up there and tap in without having to take the flag out. Or I can hold the flag and tap-in; not being able to hole out while holding the flag is one of the stupidest rules ever.

In real life pseudoswede would likely grind hard over that 2" putt and likely miss it on the low side.

In real life pseudoswede would likely grind hard over that 2" putt and likely miss it on the low side.

Only because I mis-read the break, biznitch.

What rule is that? I googled it and couldn't find it.

What rule is that? I googled it and couldn't find it.

It's allowed.

• A player may hold the flagstick with one hand and tap their ball into the hole with the other. But they should make sure that they remove the flagstick so that their ball does not strike it (Decision 17-1/5.) and they may not use it for assistance.

More silly rules... http://www.barryrhodes.com/2009/04/flagstick-rule-17.html

If anyone was ever considering a trip to Australia/New Zealand or for anyone considering Bandon next summer, there's a fare war currently happening on flights to Australia and New Zealand and with the strong dollar you could spend a week there in October/November/February or March and play in nice warm conditions for about the same cost as a trip to Bandon in the summer. There are flights in the $700s round trip from Denver. Any golf course prices there are 30-35% cheaper in US dollars at the current exchange rate.

Bring your laser or gps though since they mark yardages in meters.

I was going to post that The Raven in Silverthorne is running some really cheap special deals the week of 9/24, but looking at recent online reviews, it sounds like they had a rough winter and never recovered as there are a lot of people complaining about dead fairways, greens and tee boxes. Glad I checked reviews.

I was going to post that The Raven in Silverthorne is running some really cheap special deals the week of 9/24, but looking at recent online reviews, it sounds like they had a rough winter and never recovered as there are a lot of people complaining about dead fairways, greens and tee boxes. Glad I checked reviews.

I played it in June and it was okay. Much better than Keystone River which had a bunch of temporary greens.

It will be within the rules, but that also means if the ball has any significant speed, you have to hit the flagstick square for any chance of the ball going in. If the ball is speedy and slightly off-center, with the pin out, you have a chance of toilet-bowling it in; with the pin in, it will most likely bounce off the flagstick and roll away from the hole.

The experiment Pelz did would indicate otherwise, as counterintuitive as it may seem. I plan to leave the flag in on everything until someone can convince me with some actual data otherwise.

The experiment Pelz did would indicate otherwise, as counterintuitive as it may seem. I plan to leave the flag in on everything until someone can convince me with some actual data otherwise.

Look at the flagsticks before making that decision. I can't remember where it was in Denver, but 6 or so years ago the men's club at walnut played a match against another course and I know that other course used flagsticks that didn't taper at the bottom and were thicker to the point where it would bounce the ball away much more than normal flag sticks. After it happened to us a couple times on chips, one of the opponents said that they always take their sticks out because it rarely goes in with them in.