Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

Golf Galaxy is having a TM GAPR fitting event tomorrow from 4-8pm. More details on their website.

Hmmm... website says to call and sign up, but the guy said it's first-come-first-serve. This should be interesting. I'll be there around 4:15pm.

That was kind of useless fitting event since they didn't even carry all club heads and shaft options nor have a small tee for irons (I wouldn't use the GAPR off the deck). I also hit the TS3. That was a nice club; but my G LST was also just as good.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played the Ridge yesterday. Man were those greens fast! In pretty good shape too, as was the course overall. Not sure it's worth the money, but I'm always happy to play it once or twice a year. Too bad I forgot how to hit my driver...time to go put in some serious work at the range.

Try to take advantage of this offer. We are off to Haymaker.

$52.80 green fees on 11 courses, 17th - 30th.

https://www.colorado...h-golf-at-5280/

I might be in for The Ridge at noon on Sunday, October 28. Anyone else?

Sunset is at 6:02pm that day, but it will probably be light enough until 6:30.

Played the Ridge yesterday. Man were those greens fast! In pretty good shape too, as was the course overall. Not sure it's worth the money, but I'm always happy to play it once or twice a year. Too bad I forgot how to hit my driver...time to go put in some serious work at the range.

I play that course a lot during the off season. Can get on for around $30-$40, and it's definitely worth it.

Also, they offer a Millennial Discount, which is pretty cool.

Golf Galaxy is having a TM GAPR fitting event tomorrow from 4-8pm. More details on their website.

Hmmm... website says to call and sign up, but the guy said it's first-come-first-serve. This should be interesting. I'll be there around 4:15pm.

That was kind of useless fitting event since they didn't even carry all club heads and shaft options nor have a small tee for irons (I wouldn't use the GAPR off the deck). I also hit the TS3. That was a nice club; but my G LST was also just as good.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago at Fossil trace when they hosted a GAPR "fitting event." It isn't really a fitting event, more of just a marketing/demo day. I was disappointed because they only had a few options and the guys working it were clearly more salesman than clubfitters. Its a good opportunity to try out a lot of clubs but I think they are a little disingenuous to call it a fitting event.

I was also highly skeptical of the Trackman they set up. I am assuming they can adjust the settings to produce certain results to some extent? According to the Trackman I was hitting the 8 iron 200+ and the 3 wood 300+. I am a solid 150-155 8 iron guy and 250 3 wood guy. Even if I accepted that the yardages were accurate...the Taylormade guy didn't understand my concern with carrying a set of irons, the majority of which go over 200 yards...

I've done a search but couldn't find anything recent on D'Lance fittings. I just signed up for a wedge/iron fitting during the flash sale this afternoon. Any input or experiences are appreciated.

Am I seeing that right? $300 for lifetime full bag fitting?

I've done a search but couldn't find anything recent on D'Lance fittings. I just signed up for a wedge/iron fitting during the flash sale this afternoon. Any input or experiences are appreciated.

I don't know about the price, but their fittings are lifetime and you can go back and get re-measured any time if you think you've slowed down as you got older or did something that would affect your swing. I first went to them probably 13 years ago when they had their fitting truck on the range at what is now Colorado National and have had them build new clubs for me ever since and I go back every year or so and they adjust the loft/lie on my irons back to what they should be. Just be aware their prices are really high (basically list price, or much higher than list if you go with cheaper, common shafts). Ideally have some ideas on heads you like before you go in as they will start you out with expensive stuff if you don't give them any guidelines. If you're looking at equipment that has been out on the market for awhile, you can likely get it a lot cheaper by buying lightly used clubs and just having them reshaft them. If you're buying the latest stuff then it won't matter as much since you're paying list pretty much everywhere.

I don't know about the price, but their fittings are lifetime and you can go back and get re-measured any time if you think you've slowed down as you got older or did something that would affect your swing. I first went to them probably 13 years ago when they had their fitting truck on the range at what is now Colorado National and have had them build new clubs for me ever since and I go back every year or so and they adjust the loft/lie on my irons back to what they should be. Just be aware their prices are really high (basically list price, or much higher than list if you go with cheaper, common shafts). Ideally have some ideas on heads you like before you go in as they will start you out with expensive stuff if you don't give them any guidelines. If you're looking at equipment that has been out on the market for awhile, you can likely get it a lot cheaper by buying lightly used clubs and just having them reshaft them. If you're buying the latest stuff then it won't matter as much since you're paying list pretty much everywhere.

I've been doing a ton of trial and error and hitting into the monitor at Golf Galaxy. I'm playing the P790 and MP18 as well as I've hit all season. More than anything I'm looking to get fit for lie angles and lofts on what I already have in the bag. I've never had a wedge fitting before and the thought of that made it worth signing up. The flash sale for today was a wedge/iron fitting (2 hrs) for $75 :: normally $225.

Thanks for the feedback.

Has anyone played in Summit county lately? I've got next week off work, and want to run up there to play, but have heard mixed emotions on Raven and Keystone in regards to conditioning. Was just thinking of playing Breckenridge.

I played Keystone river over labor day and it was mixed conditions. a few greens were pretty rough. The Ranch course was in better condition. Still fun tracks

Looks like the web.com is coming here next year. Woo Hoo.

• "The new schedule features 27 events, including three new events and a three-event Finals (down from four). The three new events are the Suncoast Classic Feb. 14-17 in Lakewood Ranch, Fla., Evans Scholars Invitational May 23-26 in Chicago and TPC Colorado Championship July 11-14 in Berthoud, Colo. The Finals will consist of the Nationwide Children's Hospital Championship (Aug. 15-18), Albertsons Boise Open Aug. 22-25) and Web.com Tour Championship (Aug. 30-Sept. 2)."

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I hope so. It was so awesome going to the BWM at Cherry Hills.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I've been doing a ton of trial and error and hitting into the monitor at Golf Galaxy. I'm playing the P790 and MP18 as well as I've hit all season. More than anything I'm looking to get fit for lie angles and lofts on what I already have in the bag. I've never had a wedge fitting before and the thought of that made it worth signing up. The flash sale for today was a wedge/iron fitting (2 hrs) for $75 :: normally $225. Thanks for the feedback.

Hey Stoney,

Let me know how the wedge fitting goes. I need new wedges and am curious how the wedge portion of D'lance is. I did a Driver & Iron fitting 2 years ago with them and the fitting was fine, but like others said the clubs are pricey.

What I didn't account for when I was going through this is that you buy the Clubs, Shafts and Grips separate. So the normal retail price for the club and then add-ons for the shaft and then the grip. I also had to ask to get the "Original" shafts from the irons I bought so that I could attempt to sell them to make back some money (though I haven't sold them yet, anybody want some iron shafts? :) )

So, sorry to say but when I do my wedge fitting with them I will probably just get the specs of the clubs I want (loft, lie, length) and then just go to the manufacture website and order the clubs to save money as 2 of the shafts add up to the cost of another club :( and If they fit me to the same shaft I have in my irons I believe all club manufactures provide that one with out an upgrade fee..

The only thing I'll be missing is the frequency tuning of the shafts, though I'm pretty sure I'm not good enough to notice the difference and if I want that I have a guy local who can pull the heads and then tune and put the heads back on.

My standard disclaimer, I like/want to support local businesses but with my experience of waiting 2+ months for my clubs last time and paying the premium I'm less likely to get the clubs from them.

Regards,

GB

People I play with use D'Lance or Club Champion.

D'Lance player has bought from them in the last year or so, plus has them adjust / order specific items, but is starting to get just get specs like you note and getting it faster/cheaper from others.

The Club Champion player pretty much tells them..."Here is what the OEM shafts are and I want to be fitted in the best shaft for me they offer" Up front he is ordering from the OEM strictly based on cost.

I have been thinking of doing the CC approach. CC still gets paid for there time for the fitting but they loose out on the build cost which we all know is the "money". They do the same as you noted (Been eye balling the new Mizzy 919's) OEM is $1200+tax. CC will charge that without shafts.. you pay for the shafts separately ...then there build cost. Last time I priced something from them it was near 2 times the OEM cost.

It is a better product... probably. Is it worth double the cost??? I am not good enough to notice the difference. Played with enough on the forum they can attest to that LOL

seven dewey and I played Lone Tree last night along with a guy from my golf league. We went around the front nine in 1h45m, which included constantly waiting for a twosome (in a cart) starting on the 6th hole.

Somehow I can make two birdies and still shoot a 42--but, yeah, taking 7 strokes from 10 feet off the 9th green could've been handled better. seven dewey put on a clinic of how to accurately drive the ball in the fairway. That was impressive.

D'Lance player has bought from them in the last year or so, plus has them adjust / order specific items, but is starting to get just get specs like you note and getting it faster/cheaper from others.

The Club Champion player pretty much tells them..."Here is what the OEM shafts are and I want to be fitted in the best shaft for me they offer" Up front he is ordering from the OEM strictly based on cost.

I have been thinking of doing the CC approach. CC still gets paid for there time for the fitting but they loose out on the build cost which we all know is the "money". They do the same as you noted (Been eye balling the new Mizzy 919's) OEM is $1200+tax. CC will charge that without shafts.. you pay for the shafts separately ...then there build cost. Last time I priced something from them it was near 2 times the OEM cost.

It is a better product... probably. Is it worth double the cost??? I am not good enough to notice the difference. Played with enough on the forum they can attest to that LOL

I've never had any issues with D'lance and they've always been pretty quick when I had them build something, but I get new stuff about every 5 years so I'm not going there very often beyond getting my loft/lie adjusted. I do know they go beyond what the OEMs will do though. For example, I had a bunch of golf pride grips I got cheap when golf smith went out of business so the last time I got new irons, I had them use those to save a little money. They weighed all of them and used the ones closest in weight. Two of the grips were different enough that it would have affected the swing weight and these were all the same style, brand and color and brand new grips. The same with heads. They will weigh every head they get as the tolerances on some manufacturer's clubs are dramatically wide and if anything is too far they send it back to the factory. They've also seen driver heads that were duds that they sent back.

Given all that they did say if you're ever going to buy off the rack or direct, Mizuno has the tightest tolerances of any of the major oem's.

I believe they entered a 5 year agreement with the Web.Com Tour, in hopes to gain buzz and talk about the course and hopefully lure a PGA Tour event after that.

I’ll be shocked if they get an actual tour event (mayyybe one of the ones that goes during a major)...if castle pines couldn’t keep the international alive, I don’t see any way TPC will get one.

So went and tested out the new Mizuno irons and a few others today ...

919 Tours are very nice and offer the butter feel but they did not offer much over my current set, PLUS I think the older models are more forgiving hitting both side by side (IMHO)

The 919 forged, nice feeling but I think the older ones are better also. I will say the older models look much better as the plastic part on the back looks so NOT mizzy.

Did not hit the hot metals.

Tried several others too...

Only one set surprised me very much, the new Srixon 785's. No idea they made a new one this year, but it is SOOO nice. In testing with the right shaft it was the best of the group. If you get a chance hit these, shocked me. 745's where excellent and I know alot did not like the 765's,,,,but think they are back with the 785's for sure.

Has anyone played in Summit county lately? I've got next week off work, and want to run up there to play, but have heard mixed emotions on Raven and Keystone in regards to conditioning. Was just thinking of playing Breckenridge.

I played Keystone river over labor day and it was mixed conditions. a few greens were pretty rough. The Ranch course was in better condition. Still fun tracks

I like the Ranch course better. I don't think it's as pretty or has as much of the wow factor but I think it's a better golf course overall. It's a great tournament track.

That's what I do. I have a couple friends that like to put clubs together so I'll get the fitting, buy the parts and have my buddies build them. They make a little cash and I save a bit.

I’ll be shocked if they get an actual tour event (mayyybe one of the ones that goes during a major)...if castle pines couldn’t keep the international alive, I don’t see any way TPC will get one.

One problem was that Vickers refused to move the event to July. It probably would've lasted another few years, but I would think it would have eventually been cancelled. I do miss that tournament, mainly because of the homeowners tent on the 16th hole, but also because David Toms rented my parent's house for the week every year.

Played CO National Saturday afternoon. A 2-some went out in front of me. They were just walking off the tee as I pulled up behind them as a single. Ignored me. I waited on every single shot, on every single hole. They never once asked if I wanted to join them. A bunch of young kids, couldn't be older than 21. Multiple times I pulled up to the next tee box, and they hadn't even hit their drives yet, and I'd just hang back and watch as they hit their drives and drove off. Lots and lots of waiting. They eventually had another friend meet up with them on the 4th hole...but they were still only a 3-some, and I was still waiting on every shot as a single.

lWTZ9A9.jpg

That's probably the widest missed fairway I've ever seen. And dude hacked it up about 4 times before eventually getting to the green. All while I was standing on the tee just watching and waiting. I felt like they were pretty clueless when it comes to golf etiquette.

On #8 tee, they walked back and apologized to me that it was going so slow. Said they were waiting on the 4-some in front of them. Some D1 college golfers from Utah, preparing for an upcoming tournament. And to be fair, it was true. The college kids were unbearably slow. But still doesn't explain why these guys wouldn't just ask if I wanted to play with them. Either way, at some point on the back, 2 more college kids joined the already super slow 4-some. They were playing as a group of 6 + 2 coaches. On #12 fairway, there was a row of 5 carts parked across the fairway. I waited 20 minutes on that tee, for the college kids to move, then the 3-some in front of me to hit their drives. I called the proshop and they said they would send the college group messages on their carts...if they did, nothing changed.

fMzImEp.jpg

So frustrating. I understand college golf is a pretty big deal, and they're taking it seriously. But it's a public course and you have to be considerate of the paying guests on the course behind you. This isn't a country club where they closed the course down for the day and it was dedicated to only college golfers. Just completely unacceptable. Managed to finish 18 in pretty much darkness.

On #8 tee, they walked back and apologized to me that it was going so slow. Said they were waiting on the 4-some in front of them. Some D1 college golfers from Utah, preparing for an upcoming tournament. And to be fair, it was true. The college kids were unbearably slow. But still doesn't explain why these guys wouldn't just ask if I wanted to play with them.

Three things...

1. Maybe they're not very social. They probably didn't want a stranger to join the group. Not much you can do about that.

2. If I saw a group in front of my playing awful golf, I'm not sure I would want to join them. In the end, I probably would, but I would need to channel my patience.

3. If anything, I might skip ahead of the college group, then come back and play the holes I had to skip. If the pro shop gives you grief, tell them to stop drooling over college golfers.

We played Red Hawk on Friday afternoon with a 30ish mph wind. The course was cool and moved over the land in an interesting way but like most Engh courses, the flow is choppy and you tend to be way IN or way OUT on each hole. The wind definitely made things play weird. Overall, I'd say it was a fun experience but not a course I'd rush back to play soon.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

On #8 tee, they walked back and apologized to me that it was going so slow. Said they were waiting on the 4-some in front of them. Some D1 college golfers from Utah, preparing for an upcoming tournament. And to be fair, it was true. The college kids were unbearably slow. But still doesn't explain why these guys wouldn't just ask if I wanted to play with them.

Three things...

1. Maybe they're not very social. They probably didn't want a stranger to join the group. Not much you can do about that.

2. If I saw a group in front of my playing awful golf, I'm not sure I would want to join them. In the end, I probably would, but I would need to channel my patience.

3. If anything, I might skip ahead of the college group, then come back and play the holes I had to skip. If the pro shop gives you grief, tell them to stop drooling over college golfers.

I agree with Psuedo about skipping holes. I'm not sure why there wasn't a marshal out there but they should have given the college groups a lot of space. Even still, practice rounds shouldn't be longer than 4 hours.

Three things...

I agree with Psuedo about skipping holes. I'm not sure why there wasn't a marshal out there but they should have given the college groups a lot of space. Even still, practice rounds shouldn't be longer than 4 hours.

Looked like there were groups in front of the college group as well. The college kids weren't pressing them by any means, but if I would have skipped ahead, I would have run into traffic no matter what. Just the pains of playing afternoons on the weekend. I knew I was going to be hard pressed getting a full 18 in starting at 3:00pm. I think overall I still played in 4 hours and 30 minutes. Being a somewhat fast player, and going off as a single will make everything feel painfully slow.

Also had a 2-some behind me, that kept catching up to me on the tee box. The first time it happened, I asked them if they wanted to join me...but they declined. A bunch of anti-social golfers this weekend!

Three things...

Looked like there were groups in front of the college group as well. The college kids weren't pressing them by any means, but if I would have skipped ahead, I would have run into traffic no matter what. Just the pains of playing afternoons on the weekend. I knew I was going to be hard pressed getting a full 18 in starting at 3:00pm. I think overall I still played in 4 hours and 30 minutes. Being a somewhat fast player, and going off as a single will make everything feel painfully slow.

Also had a 2-some behind me, that kept catching up to me on the tee box. The first time it happened, I asked them if they wanted to join me...but they declined. A bunch of anti-social golfers this weekend!

I've said it before and I live a couple miles from the course. I can't imagine giving Colorado National another dime of my money or a minute of my time. Every person I talk to who thinks it may have gotten better or thought the times looked open enough to play in a reasonable amount of time has been SORELY disappointed. In fact, I'm not sure I've heard of a sub 5 hour round there in the past 2 years. And, in my experience, the guys in the pro shop are pretty much dicks. Never pleasant when asked reasonable questions and always more than happy to share the message that the range is closed for a wedding or special event.

I drive past that course every day and don't even think about playing it anymore.

On the other hand, I accidentally booked a time for next Sunday at Indian Peaks intending to play this past Sunday. I showed up about 40 minutes before the time and the staff there were really great at squeezing our threesome in. Course was playing pretty nice. Greens out there are weird. Some screaming fast and some super slow.

I’ve only played Colorado National once. About three weeks ago on Friday afternoon. Just about five hours on the dot. And I thought the guy in the proshop wasn’t overly friendly. He wasn’t nasty or anything, just pretty short with everyone. Mixed feelings for me as to when or if I’ll go back. I liked Todd Creek better personally.