2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Colorado WRX 2018

pseudoswede

On the back side of the Ryder Cup I thought I would make a couple notes that I have seen in my experiences of European golf.

1. I have RARELY been to a course with a driving range. Especially in Scotland most courses just have nets to warm up with. Pretty tough since you have no idea where your ball is going that day.
  2. European golf is still a "Rich mans game"
  3. There are maybe 1/10 as many golf courses

No wonder they have a chip on their shoulders ;)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the back side of the Ryder Cup I thought I would make a couple notes that I have seen in my experiences of European golf.

1. I have RARELY been to a course with a driving range. Especially in Scotland most courses just have nets to warm up with. Pretty tough since you have no idea where your ball is going that day.
  2. European golf is still a "Rich mans game"
  3. There are maybe 1/10 as many golf courses

No wonder they have a chip on their shoulders ;)

Many courses in Japan don't have a driving range either or have a shortened range with a net at the end that can only accept up to about a mid iron. They have dedicated ranges all over the country in the cities though that are kept busy. Mostly a top golf lite experience with multiple floors and automated ball returns, but no computer video games and scoring.

The Eisenhower Golf Course at the Air Force Academy was a real treat. The Silver course, while not long, is full of risk/reward options off the tee; you can take an iron off the tee all day, but, if you trust your driver, you can get really close to the green for an easier birdie. All of the dogleg rights on the first 10 holes made me twitch. The greens were insane and incredibly difficult to read--though, surprisingly, no one in our group 4-putted. While people said that everything always breaks away from the mountain, it didn't seem to hold true as often as it should have. That said, I did drain a 60-footer on #9; I thought I pulled my putt something awful, but it somehow broke uphill and into the hole.

I shot a 40-43 with three three-putts and two lost ball penalties.

If you ever have the opportunity to play these courses, I highly recommend that you jump on it.

AMEN, the blue course is one of my favorites in the state. I personally don't like the silver very much. I like the green complexes which are insane but tee to green it just doesn't fit my eye at all.

LOL I agree... feel like I need to work out. :o

Great numbers. Similar with the new Mizzy tours. FELT awesome but just did not get numbers out of them, Current set was better, plus as you note......blades. That's more Ivtrain realm.

I called today to talk to Mitch about setting up a similar fitting at CC in 3 weeks after the kids fall break is over (he was tied up). Figure it gives me time to practice a bit too so know I am swinging right going in.

Thinking 4-5 in 585's and 6-W in 785's.....

Edit: You get better numbers with the U85's I assume then the 585's... or just easier to hit then 585's??

Funny I was thinking about going back to blades as the JPX tours don't really offer much in terms of forgiveness over blades. The only reason I like players irons over anything else, is the less offset and higher lofts. Though I wish sets would still make their PW 48*. 46* really messes with wedge gaps, not to mention the 5* gaps between pw, 9, and 8 irons at times and then same set will only be 3*, sometimes 2*, difference from 3 to 4 iron. Makes no sense to me.

The loft change between irons on the top end drives me nuts today. I recall when everything was 4 degree spacing between irons..

My current apex pros are 4 degrees Wedge through 6 iron and then go to 3 degrees on the 5 through 3 iron. Which has always been a reason I don't like my 4 iron. There is only 6 degrees of change from 6 iron to 4 iron. (24~30) I tested it vs my old irons and the 4 is a full half club shorter. Equal strike to equal strike.

Edit: Makes me think what Krush did is a smart idea on changing the top end out on a new iron sets.OR get the irons bent so there is 4 degrees between.. *I know its pushing it though with 2 degrees loft adjustment as most OEM's say that is max they can do........

OMG all three of these quotes are exactly what has lead me to my current setup. I ended up tossing the 4i a few years ago and bending the rest of the set to have better gapping. This allowed me to throw a 2i or 2h between my 3i and 3w which was a 40-50 yard gap. I did it maybe 5 years ago. Also, I still play blades....... The next set will be a CB combo or something like 4-6 in AP2 style with blades after. These are my current thoughts but I haven't figured anything out.

Thoughts? Krushh? Irv?

My understanding is the oem’s have gone to this gapping because most people can’t get the appropriate swing speed on the longer irons compared to the shorter irons. The smaller gaps at the top end of the bag supposedly keep the spacing better for most people. I find 16-19 degree too hard to hit consistently so I like my top club to be 20 degrees and then working down from there.

The top end really depends on how consistently you can hit the middle. Joel, we haven’t played together but I’m assuming you’re one who does. In that case, you prolly can do one set. I like to get after my 3 and 4 off the tee so I miss the middle frequently and the bigger heads really helps keep the ball speed up so I don’t end up in really bad spots.

I’m in Arizona currently and will be playing the next four days so I’ll try to post some pictures at some point. Playing we-ok-pa saguaro tomorrow which is coore Crenshaw design and one of my favorites down here. Friday, Verde river which is okay. Saturday, we’re playing Desert Mountain Cochise which is a super sweet course that they used to play the Schwaub Cup finals at. Sunday we’re playing at my father in laws course tonto Verde.

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

My understanding is the oem’s have gone to this gapping because most people can’t get the appropriate swing speed on the longer irons compared to the shorter irons. The smaller gaps at the top end of the bag supposedly keep the spacing better for most people. I find 16-19 degree too hard to hit consistently so I like my top club to be 20 degrees and then working down from there.

The top end really depends on how consistently you can hit the middle. Joel, we haven’t played together but I’m assuming you’re one who does. In that case, you prolly can do one set. I like to get after my 3 and 4 off the tee so I miss the middle frequently and the bigger heads really helps keep the ball speed up so I don’t end up in really bad spots.

I’m in Arizona currently and will be playing the next four days so I’ll try to post some pictures at some point. Playing we-ok-pa saguaro tomorrow which is coore Crenshaw design and one of my favorites down here. Friday, Verde river which is okay. Saturday, we’re playing Desert Mountain Cochise which is a super sweet course that they used to play the Schwaub Cup finals at. Sunday we’re playing at my father in laws course tonto Verde.

McCourtney and I can attest to that statement =)

I've shot even par many times since moving to Colorado almost two decades ago, but I think I haven't shot under par since high school (almost three decades ago).

45116739951_6dc44300ae_o.jpg

Everything worked well last night. My missed GIRs were on the fringe, and my two fairway misses were benign. The most important thing last night was I made a few longer par putts after a poor first putt (including a downhill 10-footer that I left 5 feet short above the hole). I also missed five birdie opportunities inside 15 feet. My birdie on #5 was an incredibly slick 6-foot sidehill/downhill putt. It was a nice way to end my Thursday Night beer league season. :)

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I've shot even par many times since moving to Colorado almost two decades ago, but I think I haven't shot under par since high school (almost three decades ago).

Everything worked well last night. My missed GIRs were on the fringe, and my two fairway misses were benign. The most important thing last night was I made a few longer par putts after a poor first putt (including a downhill 10-footer that I left 5 feet short above the hole). I also missed five birdie opportunities inside 15 feet. My birdie on #5 was an incredibly slick 6-foot sidehill/downhill putt. It was a nice way to end my Thursday Night beer league season. :)

I have to post the obligatory "it was only for 9 holes....doesn't count"

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

I've shot even par many times since moving to Colorado almost two decades ago, but I think I haven't shot under par since high school (almost three decades ago). 45116739951_6dc44300ae_o.jpg Everything worked well last night. My missed GIRs were on the fringe, and my two fairway misses were benign. The most important thing last night was I made a few longer par putts after a poor first putt (including a downhill 10-footer that I left 5 feet short above the hole). I also missed five birdie opportunities inside 15 feet. My birdie on #5 was an incredibly slick 6-foot sidehill/downhill putt. It was a nice way to end my Thursday Night beer league season. :)
I have to post the obligatory "it was only for 9 holes....doesn't count"

I can only think of one time in my life that I've been under par for any number of holes and that was a Birdie on #1 at The Olde Course in Loveland, and I was over par after the second hole (and no it didn't get better from there)

Shot an 80 out at Murphy today. +3 after two holes, got on a par streak, though I bogeyed 6 after smashing my drive within 140 yards (got greedy and tried to go at the flag and fatted my second, then shanked my third). Missed a birdie putt on the lip on 5 and a chip in hit the lip on 8 and then birdied 9. Birdie on 10 and then traded pars and bogeys for a few holes. Had a chip hit the flag and not fall for birdie on 13, driver in the water on 14, lipped out birdie putts on 15 and 17 and limped into the clubhouse on 18 with a 6.

Funny how I was really feeling good about my game until the 18th and then it just soured me on the whole morning. The putter got really close to getting hot today, and my chipping is much better. I think I'm never touching my 50 degree wedge for anything other than chips from now on. I'd rather try to hit a PW anywhere from 80-130 yards.

Played Ute creek today & was standing on 16 at even with 5 birdies on the card & a chance to top my best score ever (+1), and proceeded to hit one juuuust far enough right that it kicked right like 5 times and ended up trickling into the water-took a double...put on the front of 17 in 2 and 3-putted for bogey. Rinsed it off 18 tee, lipped out the par putt & walked away with the most frustrating 76 I’ve shot in years.

2 doubles; one from the 130 in the fairway on 10, and one from 180 on the tee of 16...I hate golf.

Edit: shot 73 twice this year with birdies on the last hole, so it’s not a matter of being unable to finish....just a rant on what an idiot I am.

Played Ute creek today & was standing on 16 at even with 5 birdies on the card & a chance to top my best score ever (+1), and proceeded to hit one juuuust far enough right that it kicked right like 5 times and ended up trickling into the water-took a double...put on the front of 17 in 2 and 3-putted for bogey. Rinsed it off 18 tee, lipped out the par putt & walked away with the most frustrating 76 I’ve shot in years.

2 doubles; one from the 130 in the fairway on 10, and one from 180 on the tee of 16...I hate golf.

Edit: shot 73 twice this year with birdies on the last hole, so it’s not a matter of being unable to finish....just a rant on what an idiot I am.

I feel the same way.

I feel the same way.

It’s a cruel game...haha

Also, every time I see your DOOM avatar I tell myself we should get out...may be too late in the season now, but we ought to some time!

I feel the same way.

It’s a cruel game...haha

Also, every time I see your DOOM avatar I tell myself we should get out...may be too late in the season now, but we ought to some time!

I'd be down any time of year. The DOOM thing is actually a photo of a painting I own. It's hanging in the same corner as a print I got at my first Flying Lotus show. My wife's pretty cool with my weird art I own.

Congrats Mr. Swede

Played Ute creek today & was standing on 16 at even with 5 birdies on the card & a chance to top my best score ever (+1), and proceeded to hit one juuuust far enough right that it kicked right like 5 times and ended up trickling into the water-took a double...put on the front of 17 in 2 and 3-putted for bogey. Rinsed it off 18 tee, lipped out the par putt & walked away with the most frustrating 76 Iâve shot in years.

Edit: shot 73 twice this year with birdies on the last hole, so itâs not a matter of being unable to finish....just a rant on what an idiot I am.

I second Joel. Congrats!

I feel the same way.

It’s a cruel game...haha

I'd be down any time of year. The DOOM thing is actually a photo of a painting I own. It's hanging in the same corner as a print I got at my first Flying Lotus show. My wife's pretty cool with my weird art I own.

Oh damn, you dig Flying Lotus too?! Now we definitely have to get out....it's rare enough to come across someone who likes (or even knows) who he is in my day-to-day, but to find someone who plays golf AND likes FlyLo...unheard of hahaha

10 can bite a golfer off the tee pretty hard. Shot left can be wet. Shot right through the fairway can also lead to issues. I have made double from 130-135 in the fairway. Did you hit the approach left into the creek? Where was the pin on 16? If it is on the right side of the green going for it isn't worth it. I usually try and play a cut into the pins there. I aim to the right side of the greenside bunker and let it bleed to the right. I've pulled off Hero shots there and have either been in the bunker or wet (too much cut). 16 can be a real challenge of a hole. 17 should really be an easy par. 18 can be a real challenge as well. A well placed tee shot is a must on 18. Somehow I always get wind in my face on the final 3 holes. What gives with that. I've played Ute Creek many times being that I used to live in Longmont from the day it opened into 2012. I don't play it too often anymore but did play there this year once.

That said, sorry about the finish. Better luck next time but well played for the first 14-15 holes and a good round overall.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

I feel the same way.

It’s a cruel game...haha

Oh damn, you dig Flying Lotus too?! Now we definitely have to get out....it's rare enough to come across someone who likes (or even knows) who he is in my day-to-day, but to find someone who plays golf AND likes FlyLo...unheard of hahaha

I don't really listen to either, but I love Captain Murphy.

I don't really listen to either, but I love Captain Murphy.

Captain Murphy is dope! Didn't know Flylo had that in him...I was shocked when it came out that it was him.

The Captain tracks with DOOM/Earl Sweatshirt are so good...but I may be biased since those are 3 of my favorites joining forces like they're the power rangers hahaha

I'll take "Musicians I've Never Heard Of" for $400, Alex. :)

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I feel the same way.

It’s a cruel game...haha

I try to break some stereotypes. I've also got a picture of Dilla on my desk.

No kidding, can we at least get this thread back on track and talk about great bands like Nickelback and Creed?

Speaking things that suck.....this weather definitely set off my “the season is almost over” radar. I know we should still have some golf left but it just matters what days they fall on I suppose. If we get a really nice day mid week though I could see myself taking a half day ;)

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

You and most people...haha check him out! I never expect anyone to like him, but I’ll always suggest him....He’s John & Alice Coltrane’s nephew, so he’s got good genes if nothin else ;)

And if you wanna get REALLY weird; watch the horror(?) movie he directed, Kuso.

**not for the faint of heart**

No kidding, can we at least get this thread back on track and talk about great bands like Nickelback and Creed?

Speaking things that suck.....this weather definitely set off my “the season is almost over” radar. I know we should still have some golf left but it just matters what days they fall on I suppose. If we get a really nice day mid week though I could see myself taking a half day ;)

Amen. I’m already wishing I’d played more this year :(

Anyone try the Edel SL irons? I was looking for a used fairway at PGATSS and came across a used set of the Edels. I never thought to try to one length irons but they seem to fly consistently and actually a little further than my current irons. The graphite shafts might have something to do with it but I was amazed at how far the 5 iron goes considering the shorter length.

Also played today in 2:10 as I was the only one on the course. It was awesome!

Looking up Flying Lotus, hopefully they're on Amazon Music.

It just means we're that much closer to ski season... ;)

6 months of golf + 6 months of skiing (with a little bit of overlap) doesn't suck.

I can only really focus on one sport/hobby at a time anyhow. I have a short attention span that is challenged by the juggling act between family, work, and play.

By way of introduction (for those of you who aren't familiar with my posts in the equipment and club tech forums), I play in the FRGC league with pseudoswede. I actually didn't realize who pseudoswede was in the real-world until recently and it was his post on this forum back in 2013 that helped me find FRGC (great group that I've really enjoyed playing with over the years).

I also played with the Thursday night beer league crew for the past month or so thanks to pseudoswede's invite. Another great crew that I'm getting to know (I have met seven dewey).

Anyhow, I guess I'm a club builder hobbyist "on steroids". My wife jokes that I never do anything less than full throttle, so I have a fairly complete golf shop and hitting bay setup in my basement. I'm missing the high-end launch monitor, but I'm working on that piece... If anyone is interested in full MOI-matched builds or blueprinted sets (bent to a tenth of degree accuracy for loft/lie) then I can probably help you out. I'm on the south side of town in Highlands Ranch. I can do grips and loft/lie adjustments much cheaper than you'll find elsewhere. I'm not trying to make money on this stuff (I have a day job, but work from home); just providing a service to friends and family in the area.

By way of introduction (for those of you who aren't familiar with my posts in the equipment and club tech forums), I play in the FRGC league with pseudoswede. I actually didn't realize who pseudoswede was in the real-world until recently and it was his post on this forum back in 2013 that helped me find FRGC (great group that I've really enjoyed playing with over the years).

I also played with the Thursday night beer league crew for the past month or so thanks to pseudoswede's invite. Another great crew that I'm getting to know (I have met seven dewey).

Anyhow, I guess I'm a club builder hobbyist "on steroids". My wife jokes that I never do anything less than full throttle, so I have a fairly complete golf shop and hitting bay setup in my basement. I'm missing the high-end launch monitor, but I'm working on that piece... If anyone is interested in full MOI-matched builds or blueprinted sets (bent to a tenth of degree accuracy for loft/lie) then I can probably help you out. I'm on the south side of town in Highlands Ranch. I can do grips and loft/lie adjustments much cheaper than you'll find elsewhere. I'm not trying to make money on this stuff (I have a day job, but work from home); just providing a service to friends and family in the area.

Wish I'd have seen this post last week. I just sent my whole set of irons back to TM for loft lie adjustment. Hoping to meet some of the members on here out on course at some point as well.

Andy

My son and DIL (and more importantly, two grandkids!) live in HR so we’re over there quite a bit. I’ll give a shout out if we’re over some time and I’m able to sneak out for a round.

Wish I'd have seen this post last week. I just sent my whole set of irons back to TM for loft lie adjustment. Hoping to meet some of the members on here out on course at some point as well.

Andy

Should have just taken them to someone like Dan Weitzel...does TM at least pay for shipping or do it free if you ship?

My clubs are ready to be picked up but I work essentially the same hours CC is open. I asked the wife to swing by and pick up the clubs because I really want to get them home. She doesn't "have time" yesterday and it's raining anyways so it's not like I can hit them. Sometimes I feel like they understand our craziness and sometimes I feel like they just don't get it...

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

It's looking like a round either Friday or Saturday for me. Some club assembly on Thursday and Friday. Now to borrow a friends air compressor and blow off a few grips in the next day or two.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on