How much would a shaft upgrade make a difference? (tour ad)

ngutierrez

Hey guys,

I'm currently gaming an epic subzero and liking it, but not loving it. I know I'm hitting it solid but also know i can easily get more out of it. It currently has a rogue 65 stiff shaft in it and i was wondering how much a shaft upgrade would change things. I know the best thing is to get custom fit, blah blah blah. But just out of curiosity, those who upgraded to a tour ad (particularly di), or any other expensive shaft, did you find a huge upgrade in consistency and yards?

thanks

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

even though I love the tour ad di-7 in my fairway, I got the di-6 for my driver and it was not a good fit. lost yardage over the m2 stock shaft.

id mess around with the loft before changing the shaft.

do you want to hit it higher? lower? less spin? whats your ball flight and characteristics?

It can definitely help a lot but if you don’t get fit it can be an expensive experiment! I don’t have access to a fitter with multiple shafts to try so I decided to experiment. I read everything about every shaft and thought I had found my unicorn a couple times based on my research. Long story short I’m in love with my tensei pro orange but that wasn’t before buying and trying several other high end shafts first. All amazing shafts but didn’t work for me.

It really depends on how close that original shaft is for you. Me personally, I've decided that I am done paying for shaft upgrades - and will stick to companies that i can get a good match with a no-up charge shaft. (I know there is debate on whether these are made for or not, but regardless if they are "made for" IMO they arent as bad as the made for versions of 5-10 years ago). I also have an idea of what shafts will work for me - even if they aren't the absolute best fit.

That being said, my best/favorite driver was a Callaway FT Tour that I was fitted for with an upgraded shaft. Am I leaving some yardage/performance on the table by not opening myself to an upgraded shaft? Probably. Is it enough that its worth another $2-400? probably not. I would guess if I compared 100 shots with a No Up Charge Diamana WB or the HZRDUS I have right now vs anything I was fit into thru a full fitting, I'm probably talking 2-3 yds difference tops - and not anything I would notice on course again- as long as the shaft feels right to me AND is in the right ball park for what I need.

Not saying I buy blind, but I hit the clubs with the versions of the 'free' shafts. I'd pay if the shaft would consistently give me 10-20 yds without costing dispersion, or give me 3 more fairways a round without costing distance...but I dont think the gap is there between some of the companies "No Upcharge" options and a shaft I'd have to pay $200 or more for me to justify it.

HOWEVER, IF you got the shaft and it is a complete mismatch - then it can have a huge difference. My buddy is a very good player - ranges from a +2 to a -2 depending on how much often he can play, but had very little equipment knowledge just picked the same driver head I had with an x flex shaft because it was an X. When we played, I was only half a club longer on irons but anywhere from 30-60 yds longer on tee shots. Talked him into getting fit - and he picked up at least 30 yds immediately, if not more (he sent me the trackman results from his fitting, I dont recall but it was something like going from 257 carry to high 280's with more rollout). Extreme case - as his driver was spinning close to 4000 and he brought it down to the low to mid 2000's, but does show what can happen if its a huge mismatch and you buy on flex alone.

Good luck on your decision.

... I played an AD-DI6 and AD-MT6 and both had great feel and excellent performance. That said my Rogue Black gave me the same performance and an equally great feel so I sold both and picked up a Rogue Black 110 Tour issue. At 100mph I am not as affected by slight differences in shafts as those with a fast transition and higher swig speed and once in the ball park for my style of swing, I can pretty much play any of them with a similar profile. Alluvial Tour Blue, Diamana Blue, Kai'li and Mugen Black to name a few. I find experimenting with new shafts a ton of fun and will be trying out the Even Flow and HZRDUS Yellow in a F8 this spring. I believe that for most golfers, once you find your shaft profile there is not a lot of difference between models.

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

As long as the flex is the same and the profile is similar to your liking you wont see a whole lot of difference. Ive made this mistake too many times and now have thousands of dollars in premium shafts sitting in my basement. I got the same numbers with an o.g. diamana wb 73x that I did with my pro white or Orange tensei,6m3,tp6hd etc. Unless you have a very repeatable pro level swing i wouldnt worry about it. If you have a bunch of extra cash and want to play around with shafts its fun to compare but I havent found a shaft yet that has magically gained me that much. By this I mean all were similar profile and flex.

I’ve experimented for two years since I started playing more frequently again after recovering (mostly) from a bad motorcycle accident.

I can say I’ve added 15-20 yards predominantly by finding the lowest spin shaft that still felt good to me.

The Kuro Kage dual core 70 tx is the first shaft I’ve ever been able to consistently get under 3000 Rpms of spin with....Ever.

Hated the feel of the Hazrdus and the rogues, not crazy about the soft butt section of the Tensei. Etc. Etc. I Tried a lot of shafts, so for me it paid off eventually. I’m satisfied for now that I’m done testing shafts.....(hahaha...of course Ive Been trying a 60 TX KKDC just recently.)

Weirdly enough, I hit the Stock 665x tipped an extra inch in my Cally fairway woods just great. Just got Lucky I guess. Spin them a lot, but I’m ok with that on fairway woods. I can stop my 14 degree in 6 feet from 260 yards.

Hey guys,

I'm currently gaming an epic subzero and liking it, but not loving it. I know I'm hitting it solid but also know i can easily get more out of it. It currently has a rogue 65 stiff shaft in it and i was wondering how much a shaft upgrade would change things. I know the best thing is to get custom fit, blah blah blah. But just out of curiosity, those who upgraded to a tour ad (particularly di), or any other expensive shaft, did you find a huge upgrade in consistency and yards?

thanks

Question: Were you fit for this set up? If so... Then you probably aren't hitting the middle as much as you think, or you're creating excessive spin loft relative to when you were fit.

If not... Then go get fit. It'll save you a lot of time and money instead of guessing at which shaft you might need, and it will give what your optimal launch conditions are.

D - Ping G4410+ 9*| Ventus Black 6x

3w - Ping G410* @15.5*| Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

3h - Ping G410 19* | EvenFlow Black 85X

REST OF BAG OPEN AND UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hey guys,

thanks

Question: Were you fit for this set up? If so... Then you probably aren't hitting the middle as much as you think, or you're creating excessive spin loft relative to when you were fit.

If not... Then go get fit. It'll save you a lot of time and money instead of guessing at which shaft you might need, and it will give what your optimal launch conditions are.

I think part of what he is saying is that very few places actually HAVE the “high end” custom shafts to try during a fitting. It’s not easy for many people to have access to the expensive custom shafts without just buying them and trying them. That’s why BST is loaded with high end shafts. Trial and error.

Hey guys,

thanks

I think part of what he is saying is that very few places actually HAVE the “high end” custom shafts to try during a fitting. It’s not easy for many people to have access to the expensive custom shafts without just buying them and trying them. That’s why BST is loaded with high end shafts. Trial and error.

This is true. Not sure why he thinks a high end shaft is a need though.

I'd link the thread, but Tom Wishon (yes I know he hasn't been around and in the game as much lately) has stated he's observed the same level of quality out of "lower end" shafts as with high end. The only exception in my mind maybe being the HZRDUS hand crafted. Still... Unless he's been fit and knows he needs those tight of tolerances... Meh. It's all about getting the right profile that fits your swing. Whether it comes in a $50 shaft or a $500 one shouldn't matter (unless you're approaching that elite level of golf/skill). Just my humble opinion though, I know guys who swear by the really high $$ stuff.

D - Ping G4410+ 9*| Ventus Black 6x

3w - Ping G410* @15.5*| Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x

3h - Ping G410 19* | EvenFlow Black 85X

REST OF BAG OPEN AND UNDER CONSTRUCTION