2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Big Moss Commander - Any Reviews? (Update - Awesome)

tigerfan23

About to pull the trigger on a big moss. I see some reviews on the other ones but not much on the commander.

Anyone have one? Do they take chips realistically??

Do they lay fairly flat? Need to make sure these are legit before I pay over $500 to get one to my door!

Thanks!

(Matt Came in)

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5 Tour AD DI 6 Stiff

Callaway UT 17 and 21 MMT 70 Stiff

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a big moss augusta. I don't think chipping is realistic but I still like to chip on it for fun. It lays flat on hardwood, but not on carpet. Overall, it's a solid choice and passes time in winter months for me.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I hear a lot of good things about Big Moss here, but I think the Commander Series has some limits. First of all the green is actually only 12ft and the chipping area is 3ft, So if you want a 15 ft green, I would get the Augusta EX Pro for $345 and a separate chipping mat that isn't connected to the green. I have a mat that I use with the 10 x6 turf that came with my Net Return, and I can hit wedges from 10-15 feet away from the turf. The Commander is a nice looking setup though.

im about to pull the trigger - but this will probably have to go on carpet in my basement so Ill have to look / search for a few more reviews. Dont really have anywhere else to put it.

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2

If you are going to leave it set up, maybe put some plywood between it and the carpet.

not sure the mrs. is going to like that - need to find an area in the home i can use it

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2

I just bought the commander during their Black Friday sale. I was intending to put it outside, but took that idea off the table after I had bought it due to other considerations.

I love it. It sits on the floor well, rolls beautifully, looks and feels like a quality product. I had a birdie ball green that did the job, but the two are not comparable. The birdie ball rolled well, but looked and felt cheap. This is a green that you’re happy to leave out permanently, it sits flat, it’s heavy enough it doesn’t move, and your dogs can walk on it without tearing it up. I love it, and have spent a lot of time with it since I put it up.

Having said that, I’m not sure I’m sold on it for chipping. It may hold chips, but I doubt it would behave like an actual green. I have a chipping mat on a small deck in my backyard and I hit balls into practice nets. I was going to build another deck for the Big Moss and chip to it, but decided it would be a lot more functional as a putting green inside. I probably will never even use the chipping mat. I do think the putting green itself would hold up well outside.

I haven’t used the Augusta, but in retrospect had I known I was keeping it indoors I might have looked into that more.

If you are going to leave it set up, maybe put some plywood between it and the carpet.

not sure the mrs. is going to like that - need to find an area in the home i can use it

I hear ya ! Another option would be a similar sized piece of carpet or carpet foam that you can roll up along with the green. Might not be perfect, but neither is my short game !

Regarding augusta, I went with the one hole in middle instead of std 2 hole model. I feel it gives me more angles, if that makes sense.

I just just thinking that - looks like I might get the Augusta 410 tomorrow...

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2

I have the Big Moss Augusta EX Pro (1 hole center) and love it for putting (haven't tried chipping yet). It's setup in the basement on concrete. At the time I ordered I was looking at the commander series too but there weren't any reviews so I went with the Augusta EX Pro.

Definitely order the bigger size if you have the space and budget. The Long Putt models were also tempting but I don't have the room.

so my matt came in - The quality is EXCELLENT.... The best putting matt I've seen.

Heavy, lays flat, great material and rolls true. I'm very happy.

I think I would have gone with the one hole model instead but I'm ok with what I have. I used the chipping matt for a minute but it's the standard crappy hard chipping matt - Ill be looing to update the chipping matt soon.

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...

a bit of an update.

The green does roll true. Probably a 10+. The green holds chips and the ball does react properly - it's somewhat amazing.

One big proglem - I can't get a 100% straight putt - The fact that it goes up makes the putts break to the outside a bit which is annoying as hell.

The right hole breaks to the right and the left hole breaks slightly to the left which is fine but I want a straight putt.

I think the novelty has worn off and Ill likely be selling it but it would be an awesome addition to a golf sim room / man cave.

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2

I ordered both a birdie ball 14'x4' and a 12' competitor pro Big moss because i could not decide which one, The birdie ball came first and i was shocked that they get good reviews it is very cheap foam and stunk up my basement for about a week, they say you can stand on it but really you can't if you do you make an indent which changes the roll. Also it does not roll straight at all and i have it on a perfect level floor i was so disappointed, then i got the Big Moss competitor about a week later and was floored on the quality and the roll, i love it putting on it is true and chirping on it i feel is realistic. I'm not worried about moving it or having my 5 year old son play on it with me because of the quality unlike the birdie ball which is fragile. well worth the $$ for the Big Moss going to get the outdoor patio one next!

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TM M3 2 9.5* (HC Hzrdus Yellow 6.0)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TM M4 3HL [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]AP2 4-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Vokey 50 56 60[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Evnroll ER2CS[/size][/color][/font]

I have the admiral right now (12x4) but will be ordering the natural (10x6) very soon. We moved into a new house and I lost my basement. I did get to turn an office room into a golf room, problem is its 10x10 so the one I have now doesn't fit. These greens are awesome and I use mine at least daily for at least 5-10 minutes.

Callaway Rogue ST LS ***  Fujikura Rombax Type X
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 70TX
Callaway Rogue ST LS 5wd w/Diamana D+ Whiteboard 80X
Callaway TCB 4-GW w/Project X 6.0
Callaway Jaws RAW 56/60
EvnRoll 5.2 Short Slant

I ordered both a birdie ball 14'x4' and a 12' competitor pro Big moss because i could not decide which one, The birdie ball came first and i was shocked that they get good reviews it is very cheap foam and stunk up my basement for about a week, they say you can stand on it but really you can't if you do you make an indent which changes the roll. Also it does not roll straight at all and i have it on a perfect level floor i was so disappointed, then i got the Big Moss competitor about a week later and was floored on the quality and the roll, i love it putting on it is true and chirping on it i feel is realistic. I'm not worried about moving it or having my 5 year old son play on it with me because of the quality unlike the birdie ball which is fragile. well worth the $$ for the Big Moss going to get the outdoor patio one next!

im going to sell mine and get the commander.

The chipping green is much larger it looks like and attached to the putting green? Can you confirm or send a pic please?

Thanks

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2

im going to sell mine and get the commander.

The chipping green is much larger it looks like and attached to the putting green? Can you confirm or send a pic please?

Thanks

You are right the Commander does have the chipping green attached i haven't gotten mine yet but the picture below shows it, It looks thick and good quality will post once i get mine, I have the Competitor Pro that came with a chipping mat that was ok but not amazing its not attached so it can move each time you take a swing. i bought a separate chipping mat that works much better

com%20Home%20page.jpg

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TM M3 2 9.5* (HC Hzrdus Yellow 6.0)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TM M4 3HL [/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]AP2 4-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Vokey 50 56 60[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Evnroll ER2CS[/size][/color][/font]

a bit of an update.

The green does roll true. Probably a 10+. The green holds chips and the ball does react properly - it's somewhat amazing.

One big proglem - I can't get a 100% straight putt - The fact that it goes up makes the putts break to the outside a bit which is annoying as hell.

The right hole breaks to the right and the left hole breaks slightly to the left which is fine but I want a straight putt.

I think the novelty has worn off and Ill likely be selling it but it would be an awesome addition to a golf sim room / man cave.

I noticed the same thing regarding non-straight putts, even when I had a center hole model. I'm considering a Tour Links model where the whole thing is built up on a platform so there's no foam ramp.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

They also have two outdoor models that don't have the ramp a 6x12 @$599, and a 6x15 @$699. I talked to Tony ( the owner) on the phone it's the same Commander turf, but flat. A little pricey maybe, but if you have the room, they work inside too :) The bonus is you can haul them outside , and he claims they have a 15 year outdoor life.

a bit of an update.

I noticed the same thing regarding non-straight putts, even when I had a center hole model. I'm considering a Tour Links model where the whole thing is built up on a platform so there's no foam ramp.

Have you tried vacuuming your greens? I do get get some right to left break on the outside hole, but when my putts to the other cups aren't going straight any longer vacuuming the green in a straight line gets everything moving straight again.

a bit of an update.

Have you tried vacuuming your greens? I do get get some right to left break on the outside hole, but when my putts to the other cups aren't going straight any longer vacuuming the green in a straight line gets everything moving straight again.

Both that I had were due to the foam I believe. Roll and break was still very consistent, just not a straight putt. Think it ingrained a bad habit of aiming to the right for what looked like straight putts. I'll stick to the course practice green for now.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 3 weeks later...

so I layed this thing flat on some hard ceramic floor for a week without using it. Now it seems to roll perfectly flat and true.

This thing is amazing. Im thinking about getting one of those ball return things because a few in the cup gets tiring to start over.

Great product.

Titleist T150 4-PW

Vokey SM10 52 56 60

Newport 2