North Carolina Golf Trip Suggestions

I'm planning a three or four day golf trip for four people in May. I think I've narrowed the location down to North Carolina and I would love to hear about your successful itineraries and ideas. I was set on Pinehurst, but then I discovered Pine Needles, Tobacco Road, etc. There seems to be so many great options.

There also seems to be tons of package booking websites, and I'd love to hear about the ones you've had good experiences with. :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi. We had a Myrtle beach trip about 10 years back and had an incredible time (other than customs at Atlanta from Gatwick).

We played 5 great courses but the one that sticks in my mind was Oyster Bay. I can't remember anything specifically about it but it was tremendous.

I had thought about Myrtle Beach, i think that's a great option. Sea Island is also on the short list.

Pinehurst and Southern Pines are side-by-side. The Pinehurst Resort includes 3 hotels and 9 golf courses, and can almost certainly book you on outside courses like Tobacco Road, Mid Pines, etc. Of the 9 courses, #2 is the big daddy, but #7, #8, and #9 are really solid too. To me, #5 and #6 are kind of average, #1 and #3 are shorter, and #4 will be under reconstruction. You can get packages that include breakfast and dinner if you like, and the food is excellent. There are plenty of other choices for food and drink, if you prefer, so don't feel like you NEED to eat at the Resort restaurants for every meal.

Beyond the resort, you can find any kind of lodging, from hotels to condos to houses. The best value is to combine booking your lodging and your golf together. I'm biased, I own a condo at Talamore Golf Resort, and I think a 2 BR condo makes a nice choice for 4 guys golfing. The folks at Talamore can make all of your golf plans, as long as you don't care to play the Pinehurst Resort courses. If you don't mind the extra effort, you could get prices from a few different golf packagers and compare prices. My favorite courses include Talamore and Mid South (my home courses), Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, and Dormie Club. Southern Pines GC has been a good value, an old Donald Ross layout,but has undergone some financial issues, so I don't know what shape it might be in by May.

I prefer Pinehurst to Myrtle Beach, MB can get really crowded and hectic in peak season. Myrtle Beach does offer more golf choices and more nightlife, if that's something that matters to you.

Im working on the same trip. I just booked three days at Pine Needles, playing Pine Needles 2x and Mid Pines 1x. We're going to play 36 on at least one of the days, so was thinking about playing Pinehurst No1 as our 2nd tracks as its shorter and seems to fit for 2nd round of a 36 - any thoughts on that course? We don't have anything booked on our last day and hoping we can figure out an early tee time at No 2 or Dormie Club.

Pinehurst and Southern Pines are side-by-side. The Pinehurst Resort includes 3 hotels and 9 golf courses, and can almost certainly book you on outside courses like Tobacco Road, Mid Pines, etc. Of the 9 courses, #2 is the big daddy, but #7, #8, and #9 are really solid too. To me, #5 and #6 are kind of average, #1 and #3 are shorter, and #4 will be under reconstruction. You can get packages that include breakfast and dinner if you like, and the food is excellent. There are plenty of other choices for food and drink, if you prefer, so don't feel like you NEED to eat at the Resort restaurants for every meal.

Beyond the resort, you can find any kind of lodging, from hotels to condos to houses. The best value is to combine booking your lodging and your golf together. I'm biased, I own a condo at Talamore Golf Resort, and I think a 2 BR condo makes a nice choice for 4 guys golfing. The folks at Talamore can make all of your golf plans, as long as you don't care to play the Pinehurst Resort courses. If you don't mind the extra effort, you could get prices from a few different golf packagers and compare prices. My favorite courses include Talamore and Mid South (my home courses), Pine Needles, Mid Pines, Tobacco Road, and Dormie Club. Southern Pines GC has been a good value, an old Donald Ross layout,but has undergone some financial issues, so I don't know what shape it might be in by May.

I prefer Pinehurst to Myrtle Beach, MB can get really crowded and hectic in peak season. Myrtle Beach does offer more golf choices and more nightlife, if that's something that matters to you.

This...just did PH in november, played no. 2 and 7. Wanted to play the cradle (par 3 course) but super crowded.

Next time ill add pine needles, mid pines etc. you wont regret it.

• 2 weeks later...

Have done 3x trips to pinehurst in the last two years. Two budget trips and one 5* one.

Went down in November of 17 and stayed on the resort - played #2 - lived up to the hype, #8 might even have overshadowed it though, was awesome. #7 was quality as well. Really cool town to just walk around and soak up the golf history. Even if you're not playing or staying at the resort head to the Duece for a drink and watch groups come in #18 at #2. Lots of fun.

Booked through Pinehurst and they were incredible, stayed played and ate very well all the way- restaurant in the Carolina is great - high recommend.

The other two trips I took down there were booked through Tobacco Road travel and were incredible bang for your buck values. I don't know what their packages look like in May but something to keep in mind as you can play and stay down there for a song in March if you dont mind jumping around a bit to hit all the area courses and staying at a Best Western or something. Dormie + tobacco + mid pine + 2 nights at a hotel for less than 250.

Dormie is going private but is awesome and well worth playing. Great Coore/Crenshaw routing and one of my favorites anywhere.

Tobacco Road is quirky and incredibly difficult but a lot of fun to go around. Dont expect to score your first time around. It's Strantz on steroids, blind shots, crazy greens, and can be frustrating. Accept it for what it is and its a really fun course - great for match play. Whole vibe on the property is pretty cool.

I'm a member at Lonnie Pool, terrific golf course in the heart of downtown Raleigh. That being said, I can't imagine anyone planning a trip from out of state making it a focal point of their golf getaway. Pinehurst / Southern Pines area is the more obvious, natural choice for a pure golf trip.

However, if I were to suggest making Raleigh ground zero for golf, I would suggest the following itinerary:

Golf -

• Lonnie Poole, Arnold Palmer design, big, brawny with rolling terrain (Raleigh)
  • Duke University, Robert Trent Jones Sr., classic parkland with wicked fast greens (Durham)
  • UNC Finley, Tom Fazio, picturesque, haven't played it but heard it might be the less challenging of all three college courses in the area (Chapel Hill)
  • Tobacco Road, Mike Stranz, absolute must play; some people compare it to a Joe Public's Pine Valley which is no knock on the design (Sanford - 45 min ride from Raleigh)
  • Tot Hill Farm, Mike Stranz, it's next on my bucket list courses in NC, (Asheboro, also about 45 min from Raleigh)

Cousine -

• Crawford and Son, arguably the best new restaurant in Raleigh
  • Brewery Bhavanna, also a contender for Raleigh's best, make reservations 2 weeks in advance
  • Lucette Grace, best patisserie in Raleigh, there's no close second. Don't miss a chance to sample their desserts and croissants.
  • Flying Biscuit Cafe, damn good breakfast and the best biscuits in town
  • Andia's Ice Cream in nearby Cary, NC - small batch ice cream done right

Did Pinehurst for the first time in August. A bit on the hot side but got to play during the eclipse which was kind of cool. Didn't have the $$$ to play or stay at Pinehurst, but played Southern Pines, Whispering Pines CC, and Mid Pines over 2 days. Southern Pines is a Donald Ross course managed by the local Kiwanis or Rotary Club or something like that. It was a steal, and even for mid-August the course was in great shape and nobody was on the course. There's not a whole lot of fluff, just an enjoyable Donald Ross at like $35-$45.

Whispering Pines CC I found on GolfNow after I had finished Southern Pines in 3.5 hours and so I jetted over there and got off for $15. Nothing to write home about but decent shape and for the price it was more than worth it.

Mid Pines was my splurge course and at $125 I don't know if I could fully justify it. I was between Mid Pines and Pine Needles and most reviews I found said it was a toss up. It's a classic/beautiful Donald Ross that makes you feel like sandhills golf is the purest.

The other two I was looking at were Dormie Club and Tobacco Road. Had originally booked Dormie but found out they had just aerated. Regret not playing Tobacco Road though, but I'll get back down there sooner or later.

SIM 9* TBD //  SIM 15* YS NanoReloaded 7S //  SIM 19* Tour AD DI 7S //  P770 KBS $-Taper 110 //  MG2 KBS $-Taper 110 //  Hi-Toe KBS $-Taper 110 //  Spider X SuperStroke 1.0 PT //  TP5X

I went on a guys trip to the Pinehurst area many years ago before Mid South went private and it was our favorite. Can you get on Mid South if you stay at Talamore?

I went on a guys trip to the Pinehurst area many years ago before Mid South went private and it was our favorite. Can you get on Mid South if you stay at Talamore?

I just checked Talamore's website and it appears that you can get on Mid South. Thanks for the tip.

For certain, if you book through Talamore you can play MidSouth. The greens and much of the golf course at Talamore was rebuilt over the summer of 2016, new Champion Bermuda on the greens, lots of bunkers eliminated, and a number of steep sod-faced bunkers installed. in 2017 the greens at MidSouth were redone, with less extensive work on the remainder of the course. Both clubhouses have also been renovated. I was down in both October and November, and both courses were in outstanding shape. I expect the greens to hold up well under the peak traffic times, which was one of the reasons they changed to the Bermuda. If anyone is going to the area, I'll be glad to provide my recommendations for food and drink, I think there's plenty of recommendations already for golf courses.

I'm a member at Lonnie Pool, terrific golf course in the heart of downtown Raleigh. That being said, I can't imagine anyone planning a trip from out of state making it a focal point of their golf getaway. Pinehurst / Southern Pines area is the more obvious, natural choice for a pure golf trip.

However, if I were to suggest making Raleigh ground zero for golf, I would suggest the following itinerary:

Golf -

• Lonnie Poole, Arnold Palmer design, big, brawny with rolling terrain (Raleigh)
  • Duke University, Robert Trent Jones Sr., classic parkland with wicked fast greens (Durham)
  • UNC Finley, Tom Fazio, picturesque, haven't played it but heard it might be the less challenging of all three college courses in the area (Chapel Hill)
  • Tobacco Road, Mike Stranz, absolute must play; some people compare it to a Joe Public's Pine Valley which is no knock on the design (Sanford - 45 min ride from Raleigh)
  • Tot Hill Farm, Mike Stranz, it's next on my bucket list courses in NC, (Asheboro, also about 45 min from Raleigh)

Cousine -

• Brewery Bhavanna, also a contender for Raleigh's best, make reservations 2 weeks in advance
  • Lucette Grace, best patisserie in Raleigh, there's no close second. Don't miss a chance to sample their desserts and croissants.

Not thread acking but of the 3 in RED above, if you have one round on the day you fly back out of Raleigh which would everyone pick?? Plus can someone from out of state play Duke? Could not figure that out or not?? *I moved the Tobacco Road round on Sunday to Saturday so I have Sunday morning open with a late flight out...

Golf -

Cousine -

Not threading jacking but of the 3 in RED above, if you have one round on the day you fly back out of Raleigh which would everyone pick?? Plus can someone from out of state play Duke? Could not figure that out or not?? *I moved the Tobacco Road round on Sunday to Saturday so I have Sunday morning open with a late flight out...

Chile -

Given that I haven't had a chance to play UNC Finley yet - I won't personally recommend it, but speaking to other folks who live here, they say it's a proper course; most likely, you'll enjoy it. But of the two courses I have experienced:

Duke University - it's a public course and you can play it if you're from out of state. It's fairly pricey, but then, so is Lonnie Poole. If you're visiting North Carolina in February or early March, the course is going to look pretty barren. It won't affect play, but given that Duke is a traditional parkland course, you'd probably want to take in the entire experience when Spring is in the air and everything is fully green. You also need to ask yourself, how much do you like putting on greens that register pretty high on the stimp meter in peak season?

Lonnie Poole - while not as visually arresting as Tobacco Road (few courses are), you'll find that Lonnie Poole shares many of the same traits. It has elevation changes, challenging bunkering, extremely wide fairways and frankly, no two holes are exactly alike on the property. If you can't play during peak season, Lonnie Poole (even with dormant Bermuda) is going to be more visually interesting and more fun than Duke University.

Of course, being a member at Lonnie Poole, it's obvious that I'm partial to my home course, so take what I say with a grain of salt. No matter where you decide to play, you'll have a great time. And if you need anymore information, please feel free to DM me. Having just recently moved to my new adopted home of Raleigh, I enjoy helping people get the best impression of the city when they come visit.

Golf -

Cousine -

Not threading jacking but of the 3 in RED above, if you have one round on the day you fly back out of Raleigh which would everyone pick?? Plus can someone from out of state play Duke? Could not figure that out or not?? *I moved the Tobacco Road round on Sunday to Saturday so I have Sunday morning open with a late flight out...

Chile -

Given that I haven't had a chance to play UNC Finley yet - I won't personally recommend it, but speaking to other folks who live here, they say it's a proper course; most likely, you'll enjoy it. But of the two courses I have experienced:

Duke University - it's a public course and you can play it if you're from out of state. It's fairly pricey, but then, so is Lonnie Poole. If you're visiting North Carolina in February or early March, the course is going to look pretty barren. It won't affect play, but given that Duke is a traditional parkland course, you'd probably want to take in the entire experience when Spring is in the air and everything is fully green. You also need to ask yourself, how much do you like putting on greens that register pretty high on the stimp meter in peak season?

Lonnie Poole - while not as visually arresting as Tobacco Road (few courses are), you'll find that Lonnie Poole shares many of the same traits. It has elevation changes, challenging bunkering, extremely wide fairways and frankly, no two holes are exactly alike on the property. If you can't play during peak season, Lonnie Poole (even with dormant Bermuda) is going to be more visually interesting and more fun than Duke University.

Of course, being a member at Lonnie Poole, it's obvious that I'm partial to my home course, so take what I say with a grain of salt. No matter where you decide to play, you'll have a great time. And if you need anymore information, please feel free to DM me. Having just recently moved to my new adopted home of Raleigh, I enjoy helping people get the best impression of the city when they come visit.

Cage thanks for the input. Lonnie Poole is what I leaning towards and you post confirms it. I will be there the first week of June so assume conditions will be good? Trip is already booked and did the typical Pinehurst course rota (Mid Pines/Dormie/Pine Needles/Tobacco). Just had Sunday morning wide open and thought about hitting that up one last course and figured one in Raleigh area would be easier.

Golf -

Cousine -

Chile -

Cage thanks for the input. Lonnie Poole is what I leaning towards and you post confirms it. I will be there the first week of June so assume conditions will be good? Trip is already booked and did the typical Pinehurst course rota (Mid Pines/Dormie/Pine Needles/Tobacco). Just had Sunday morning wide open and thought about hitting that up one last course and figured one in Raleigh area would be easier.

Chili -

Can't predict rain, naturally, but in the most general sense, it should be nice and hot for your trip in June. Make sure you hydrate really well (even if you decide to take a cart). I think you'll have an incredible time - every course you selected is first class.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I thought I'd give you all an update on what we decided to do. My buddy and I grabbed the last remaining double room at the Manor Inn in early May and will be doing the Donald Ross Package! We'll be playing No. 8 and No. 2 on Friday and then No. 7 on Saturday before driving back home. We are really excited!

I’m chiming in late on this but Pinehurst was the right choice - everything there is top notch.

I like Lonnie Poole but it’s terribly hot out there in the summer and moves slowly on the weekends. I much prefer playing there midweek in mid to late afternoon in the summer. Lonnie Poole is a more challenging and scenic course, but I like Finley better. I find the fairways at Finley to be spongier while the ones at Lonnie can get a bit hard on a lot of holes in the summer.

As far as Myrtle Beach goes, a lot of the courses in the Sunset Beach area have gone down the drain recently. Oyster Bay and Sea Trail are horribly over priced for the condition of the courses. Tiger’s Eye is probably my favorite. Sandpiper Bay is probably the best value for price.

• 4 months later...

Myrtle Beach is always a great option. With over 80 courses to choose from there are always great vacation packages to meet any price point, not too mention the great restaurants and night life in the area. If you have any questions shoot me an email at [email protected]

Courses near the NC/SC border I would recommend are Rivers Edge, Oyster Bay, Tidewater, Crow Creek... oh, there are just too many.

Though I would suggest staying in Central Myrtle Beach so you can enjoy places like Broadway at the Beach and Barefoot Landing.

courses around central; Legends, Wild Wing Avocet, Kings North and on and on...