2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

TaylorMade serial numbers and fakes....

mookie

Can anyone help me to better understand how the serial number thing works?

A lot of people say that the serial number (or lack of one) is a good way of telling if a club or set is fake. But having a serial number doesn't necessarily guarantee a club's authenticity, though, right???

So, say I go to the TM website and input the serial number that I find on my driver. If the serial number was "doctored" and the club is a fake, what happens when I try to register? Does it say "thank you for registering"? or will a message pop up that says that "you've been screwed!" or something like that???

I've always wondered about this....

Thank you.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read that the people at Taylormade will tell you that even if your serial number matches you can still have a counterfeit because they (counterfeiters) will go to shops and get real numbers then put them on the counterfeits. I don't think Taylormade does NO serial numbers even for their tour equipment like Titleist but Titleist isn't counterfeited as much as TM. If a TM club is a tour club the serial starts with a T and has a capital B etched into it. The only real way of knowing is to take the club apart to look for the inverted cone but, of course, that would mean your club would no longer be one piece.

When I bought some Taylormade irons, I called Taylormade, and the guy told me my serial number was not in his database. However, when I went to the website the registration went through normally.

Taylormade told me that the serial number was no guarantee of authenticity anyway, and that the only real way to tell would be for me to send them my clubs for inspection.

I really don't think the registration will tell you either way unless there are too many numbers or something else obvious. Just my opinion though. You would have to ask taylormade to really know how the registration process works.

• 2 years later...

http://www.taylormadegolf.com/lowerlevel/lounge/customerservice.html?IsPopUp=0#505

read the very bottom of this page, it says if you do ship us your club we cannot guarantee you that we can send it back to you!russian_roulette.gif Why would you want to send a club to them if there is a chance you are not going to get it back, thats stupid

TM definitely has a screwy serial number system. I bought a 1st Ed. Superquad TP a little over a year ago and had a weight come loose in the head. Because of this, there was a horrible rattle so I had my pro call them about it. The claimed my driver must be a fake because they didn't have the serial number in their system, but said to send it in anyway. The club was sent back to them roughly 5 weeks ago and I was finally contacted this past Wednesday and was told they'll be sending me a replacement club because mine turned out to be real. You would think they'd keep the serial number system in better order than this, as it shouldn't have taken 5 weeks to figure out whether or not a club was real or fake. I am happy that they'll be sending me another club, they're looking for Superquad heads (hopefully they'll only find a 282) and if that doesn't pan out, I'll probably be recieving a Supertri TP. I'm just frustrated with the system at this point, hopefully this doesn't end up happening to any of you

They should, and frankly I'll be a little upset if they don't, as the 1st Edition All Black Superquad sold for something like $800 brand new back in the day. They only made a couple thousand of them, hence the high price, so I'm expecting something top of the line in return since they're replacing my expensive, somewhat rare driver

Ping definitely leads the pack when it comes to serial #'s and tracking. I've never been able to comprehend how TM can keep track of all their serials, especially being the biggest volume clubmaker out of the bunch.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

• 7 months later...

i said i'd get back to you asap, also, about the pings...for tonight i'm gonna hold off even tho i want to grab them- i better think about it--- good luck with selling and thanks

Ping G430 Max / G400 Max Drivers

Hybrids:  19* and 22* Ping G425

Irons:  Callaway Steelhead XR

Wedges: Vokey SM9s

Putter:  Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #8

C-130 Cart Bag

Ecco golf shoes

[quote name='J Gilbert' timestamp='1275161171' post='2474998']
They should, and frankly I'll be a little upset if they don't, as the 1st Edition All Black Superquad sold for something like $800 brand new back in the day. They only made a couple thousand of them, hence the high price, so I'm expecting something top of the line in return since they're replacing my expensive, somewhat rare driver
[/quote]

Sorry J Gilbert, but really this is how you feel about TM and your 1st Ed Superquad? Sure, the serial number issue I can understand some, But......

Let's get serious here,

Your Head was released in 2007 correct? So this means it is 4 years old and your complaining about their service on replacing a 4 year old head? Really? And your still complaining after they are going to replace it for free! Really?

Sorry, but your so called "$800 limited, only made a couple of thousand and rare" comments just floor me. Know what you are talking about before you get upset at TM and post this type of stuff on this site. That driver can be had new for $250 of even much lower. Used can be had for $150 or less. Who care what you paid for it 4 years ago, plus come on.......you paid $800 for it? LOL If you did pay this amount, shame on you.

Name any other type of goods that you bought and it is replaced for "free" after a 4 years time frame.....Let's see, Clothing? No Car? No,
Food? No, TV? No, Cell Phone? No, PC, No.......Oh, but you can tell us all what TM "should" be doing for you to keep you happy.

It's rare that I make comments like these, but I would feel lucky to have a 4 year old item replaced for free and would be singing praise about the people who took care of me wether or not it was 2 weeks or 6 weeks or even longer for that matter.

[quote name='TMBob' timestamp='1296391761' post='2936731']
[quote name='J Gilbert' timestamp='1275161171' post='2474998']
[/quote]

Sorry J Gilbert, but really this is how you feel about TM and your 1st Ed Superquad? Sure, the serial number issue I can understand some, But......

Let's get serious here,

Your Head was released in 2007 correct? So this means it is 4 years old and your complaining about their service on replacing a 4 year old head? Really? And your still complaining after they are going to replace it for free! Really?

Sorry, but your so called "$800 limited, only made a couple of thousand and rare" comments just floor me. Know what you are talking about before you get upset at TM and post this type of stuff on this site. That driver can be had new for $250 of even much lower. Used can be had for $150 or less. Who care what you paid for it 4 years ago, plus come on.......you paid $800 for it? LOL If you did pay this amount, shame on you.

Name any other type of goods that you bought and it is replaced for "free" after a 4 years time frame.....Let's see, Clothing? No Car? No,
Food? No, TV? No, Cell Phone? No, PC, No.......Oh, but you can tell us all what TM "should" be doing for you to keep you happy.

It's rare that I make comments like these, but I would feel lucky to have a 4 year old item replaced for free and would be singing praise about the people who took care of me wether or not it was 2 weeks or 6 weeks or even longer for that matter.
[/quote]

I agree 100%, somebody brought this back from the dead lol, it was from may 2010

Since it was brought back from the dead (a couple different times it appears) I'll tell you my story that's similar. I sold my buddy a TM CGB Max Limited driver (one with 3 interchangeable shafts) that I had purchased on eBay. He was really pleased with it but one of the screws broke off in the head and he couldn't get the broken piece out of the port so he figured he'd call TM up just to see if they'd help. To both of our surprises they went way above our expectations. Obviously they said they didn't have any CGB heads left but they sent him a brand new SuperTri TP w/ headcover AND 3 TP shafts (X-CON, Motore F1, and VooDoo). They didn't even make him send the head in first and let him keep the CGB hc, weight kit, and 3 shafts. My point is, although it sounds unlikely that they'd replace a SuperQuad that's that old there's certainly no harm in asking them.

EDIT: And an FYI to anyone who may end up reading this thread looking for TM serial # advice: TM won't check serial #'s on the phone for you anymore. I'd recommend taking it to a local shop that has a TM account and asking them to call it in.

[quote name='Pudgelewis' timestamp='1296435573' post='2938375']
Since it was brought back from the dead (a couple different times it appears) I'll tell you my story that's similar. I sold my buddy a TM CGB Max Limited driver (one with 3 interchangeable shafts) that I had purchased on eBay. He was really pleased with it but one of the screws broke off in the head and he couldn't get the broken piece out of the port so he figured he'd call TM up just to see if they'd help. To both of our surprises they went way above our expectations. Obviously they said they didn't have any CGB heads left but they sent him a brand new SuperTri TP w/ headcover AND 3 TP shafts (X-CON, Motore F1, and VooDoo). They didn't even make him send the head in first and let him keep the CGB hc, weight kit, and 3 shafts. My point is, although it sounds unlikely that they'd replace a SuperQuad that's that old there's certainly no harm in asking them.

EDIT: And an FYI to anyone who may end up reading this thread looking for TM serial # advice: TM won't check serial #'s on the phone for you anymore. I'd recommend taking it to a local shop that has a TM account and asking them to call it in.
[/quote]

PR is everything. How many guys is your buddy gonna golf with and he'll tell them this story. Then those guys that hear it are up for a driver refresh and TM has a leg up. I know for fact that TM dumps most of their retail offerings soon after they move to a new product line. I have a friend that runs a business of buying this surplus and selling it off for them. I could get you a brand new CGB Max head and any of the 3 shafts, plus extra tips. TM unloaded all of them to my buddy. They will be more than happy, most of the time, to give a free upgrade. They know word of mouth is a good thing. Just call, tell them the situation, be friendly.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 1 year later...

Just called Taylormade to verify the serial number for my Rocketballz Tour TS 13* 3 Wood Stiff Flex ... I gave the guy the serial number and he told me exactly what I had (kinda cool), but he also said what was mentioned earlier in this post, that counterfitters are getting smarter and going into golf shops and obtaining numbers to duplicate. I guess it is what it is, so now I'm going to go hit the hell out of it and if I don't do very well, I'll blame the counterfitters ; )

• 1 month later...

Just got off the phone with TM, tried to confirm a tour issue club, all he could confirm was that it was indeed tour issued, came off one of their tour vans, but he could not disclose any other information due to the fact that it's tour issue. I thought this was kind of odd, anyone else have a similar experience? The club in question was purchased here and was confirmed to be tour issued, but just a little odd that he couldn't tell me what model, loft, etc... it was.

[quote name='hattrick3518' timestamp='1337892376' post='4972546']
Just got off the phone with TM, tried to confirm a tour issue club, all he could confirm was that it was indeed tour issued, came off one of their tour vans, but he could not disclose any other information due to the fact that it's tour issue. I thought this was kind of odd, anyone else have a similar experience? The club in question was purchased here and was confirmed to be tour issued, but just a little odd that he couldn't tell me what model, loft, etc... it was.
[/quote]

I wouldn't expect the guy at the customer service center to be able to tell you anything about a tour issue club. Half-surprised be could even tell you it was tour issued.

[quote name='Pudgelewis' timestamp='1337892817' post='4972586']
[quote name='hattrick3518' timestamp='1337892376' post='4972546']
[/quote]

I wouldn't expect the guy at the customer service center to be able to tell you anything about a tour issue club. Half-surprised be could even tell you it was tour issued.
[/quote]

Guess that much is true, at least it's confirmed. Never had a doubt, just had heard good things about TM customer service and figured I'd give them a chance.

I saw the TM number posted, and recently had a pocket of my adidas golf bag tear at the seams. On a whim I asked if they could check to see if the serial number of my r11 3-wood was in their system. He double and triple checked, but couldn't find it. Can't really believe it. The shaft it came with had an RBZ sleeve with it that seemed a bit more difficult to get tightened up, but it was my first FCT club so I had no clue.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='davidribeiro' timestamp='1393631624' post='8767890']
Can anybody shed some light on the Taylormade Speedblade irons i just received from an ebay seller - they have project X flighted 95 shafts in them and the serial #'s are not consistant thru out the set - every # is differant - Please help thanks
[/quote]

That's typical of TM, as far as I know. I bought my Rocketbladez Tour irons from Dick's, and the serial numbers were different throughout. If you go to the website, they'll tell you that the serial number that counts is the 7 iron (5 in older TM sets). I am pretty sure that their system matches up all the other serial numbers with that one in their DB. Not sure why they would do it that way, but they do.

Nike Vapor Fly 9.5º
TM Jetspeed 2H 17º,
TM SLDR S 3H 19º
TM Rocketbladez Tour 3-PW
Ping ISI BeCu SW 52º
Nike SV+ SW 56º
Odyssey Works Tank Versa 2-Ball Fang

• 9 years later...