I only need 13 clubs... is that weird?

supashu

For quite a while now I've been content with just 13 club in the bag. I am happy with just the 52, 58 wedge setup and I hit my 4 iron long enough that I don't have a huge gap after my hybrid. But I feel like I'm missing out on something. Surely there is a place for another club in the bag. Maybe a 62 degree wedge for that once every 10 rounds shot to a super tucked pin? Or maybe a 2 or 3 iron that I could use to hit stingers and punch shots on windy days and maybe off the tee on short par 4's? Anybody else happy with just 13 clubs? Any ideas? Which end of the bag is worth having the extra club I basically never use?

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 9* - Diamana Kai'li 70x
Ping G30 14.5* - UST VTS Silver 7F5
Adams DHY Pro 18* - Aldila Proto 95x
Srixon Z545 4i - UST Recoil 110 F5
Srixon Z785 5-PW - Modus 120x
Cleveland 588 Rotex 2.0  - DG S400
Tommy Armour 845 DLT Todd Sones
Srixon Z Star

"Dont play too much golf. Two rounds per day is plenty." - Harry Vardon

"Every day that I missed practicing takes me one day longer to be good." Ben Hogan

I'm right there with ya and more than happy with 13 in the bag. I play a 48 53 58 wedge set up and I feel like if i try to add another wedge it just makes too much to think about on some shots.

driver: Titleist TS2 9.25*

3 wood: Taylormade M3 15* 

hybrid: Ping i15 20* hybrid

irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-5

Cleveland 588 CB 6-PW

wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4 52*

Cleveland RTX4 58* low

putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi Mid (cut from 43" to 34")

For quite a while now I've been content with just 13 club in the bag. I am happy with just the 52, 58 wedge setup and I hit my 4 iron long enough that I don't have a huge gap after my hybrid. But I feel like I'm missing out on something. Surely there is a place for another club in the bag. Maybe a 62 degree wedge for that once every 10 rounds shot to a super tucked pin? Or maybe a 2 or 3 iron that I could use to hit stingers and punch shots on windy days and maybe off the tee on short par 4's? Anybody else happy with just 13 clubs? Any ideas? Which end of the bag is worth having the extra club I basically never use?

I have been playing 8 or 9 the past few seasons. No change in my handicap.

drn92

• Like 2

I believe that you‘d be better of with a 2iron for tight tee shots than a 62deg. It takes a lot of practice to succeed in Lefty‘s domain. And it‘s a lot more fun to hit a stinger than a flop to that tucked pin that stays short in the bunker. Seriously, statistically it‘s better for your score NOT to hit a 62deg wedge to a tucked pin.

I believe that you‘d be better of with a 2iron for tight tee shots than a 62deg. It takes a lot of practice to succeed in Lefty‘s domain. And it‘s a lot more fun to hit a stinger than a flop to that tucked pin that stays short in the bunker. Seriously, statistically it‘s better for your score NOT to hit a 62deg wedge to a tucked pin.

I think I'd agree with this, once you get past 60 degree's the wedges get difficult to hit. Currently I'm playing 13 clubs with just a 56 degree wedge beyond my pw[49 degree's].

I usually don't play 14 and do fine, but more out of curiosity I bought a PM 64* wedge a year ago and find it quite useful! At least for me, it's really not difficult to use, very much the opposite. It of course excels at flop shots, but it's really good in the sand if the pin is tucked too, or even just square face chips when you want minimal roll out without having to manipulate the face or your stroke. Definitely worth a try if you can afford the experiment!

Driving iron. Different trajectory compared to your hybrid.

I’m happy to play a 13+ a specialty. D/HLF/Hyb/?/5-P+3. Right now, it is a Rapture DI.

The cool part about 13 for sure is you can always do something trusty for the conditions. Maybe it is another wedge. Maybe some sort of sand specific wedge. For me, it’s a low runner into a tight, windy lane.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

13 seems to be quite popular.

Me too, I have no 3 wood as I still hit down on my driver and am not optimised. 3 woods go nearly as far. My set up is a bit odd. I go 5 wood, 3 iron at 22 degrees and then 5 iron.

I might go to 12 clubs if I change my wedges later this year going back to 48, 54, 60. Fewer clubs defiantly makes the bag lighter if you carry.

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I usually don't play 14 and do fine, but more out of curiosity I bought a PM 64* wedge a year ago and find it quite useful! At least for me, it's really not difficult to use, very much the opposite. It of course excels at flop shots, but it's really good in the sand if the pin is tucked too, or even just square face chips when you want minimal roll out without having to manipulate the face or your stroke. Definitely worth a try if you can afford the experiment!

+1 can’t live without my 64 PM. Never leaving the bag.

Me too.

My 3w only goes a few yards farther than my 5w and is harder to elevate so I leave it out.

Starting with 5w my lofts are 19,21,24,27,30.5,35,40,45,51,56,60 covering a range from 185 down to about 72 yards with 11 clubs.

Average spacing is less than 12 yards per club. From 5w to 4i is 15 yards and GW to PW also 15-ish so those are my biggest “gaps”.

Hard to see where a 14th club might go!

I also play 13 clubs, tried to fit in a 14th, but really don’t need it. I go driver, 5wd, 4-aw, 56,60. I never really got along with a 3wd, and the 5wd is so much easier from the turf, and not much shorter than from the tee.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

So a stinger 2 iron to a tight fairway is an easier shot than a 62 degree flop shot to a tight pin??

I vary between 12-13 clubs. I've come to the conclusion hybrids and I just don't get along. Currently waitiing on a UDI so that will make 13. Switched to a 52/58 Wedge set up last year and I won't play more wedges than that again. Simplicity is......Simple.

Maybe add an opposite hand 7 iron for those really really unfortunate lies.

I've always loved statements like "Statistics say that you ought not have such-and-such club in your bag because if you do you'll try stupid shots that are beyond your ability".

I don't think it's "Statistics" saying that. More like the opinion of a condescending know-it-all. I know a little bit about "statistics" and can't really imagine what kind of "statistic" that would even be...

Yes, it is weird.

This is golfWRX... I need at minimum 30 clubs at any given time.

These darn rules make it so I can only bag 14 of them.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

In same boat.....sometimes carry a mini or a higher lofted driver/thriver, but the 14th spot seems to be permanently reserved for that next best club I'm gonna ho! Could get away with 12 if the loft gapping was a bit better.....hmmmmmm......but you are right primarily is due to the wedges, I carry 51, 56.....I tinker with 60 but is no bueno for my game!

I played 13 clubs for a long time because I didn't get the 3-iron when I bought my Bridgestone J40 DPCs several years ago. I carry an 18 degree hybrid & 52, 58 degree wedges. My home course has a par-3 that I can't quite reach with 4-iron & the hybrid is too much. Finally found a Bridgestone J36 3-iron in a used club bin, bought it & perfect distance for that par-3 so I'm back to 14.

I once considered only putting clubs in my bag that I felt confident I could hit well. Realized I didn't need a bag, I could just carry my 6-iron in my hand...

• Haha 1

I could play my home course with driver, 5w, 5i,7i,9i,UW,LW, putter. I bet my scores wouldn't change and I wouldn't be manufacturing many shots. I still play with 14 in the bag though

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

I also carry 13, driver, 3 wood, 19 hybrid, 4-p, 52, 58 seems ok for me, may add a high lofted wedge. There is about a 20 yard gap between my hybrid and my four iron. I'm not consistent enough to add a specific club between my hybrid and 4 iron.

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

Not it's not weird. I've personally played with half sets all the way up to a full bag of 14 clubs and I feel better and play better with 12 clubs. For me it keeps things simple and helps me think about what I want to do on a given hole to score the best. Fortunately, I still hit long enough to reach most holes in regulation and some holes on given courses I play for putts at eagle. It all boils down to how you play and what works best. Usually, my experiences with people looking and asking me why I don't have 14 clubs in my bag, can't play worth a lick anyway. LOL