2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

MEMBER TESTING: Aldila Synergy Blue Shafts. Read reviews here!

Well. Took advantage of the great weather and got in 18 this afternoon. Really falling in love with this shaft and head combo.

I Hit 6 of 8 fairways with it today. And 2 were just bad swings that I pushed a tad right. Today was a good test as it was super wet. So all carry. More I hit it. The longer it gets.

Im able to turn it both ways at will, and thats something that i havent said about a driver shaft in ages.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to get in my second round of testing yesterday. Weather was in the mid 50s when I teed off and reached 65*F by the end of the round.

For my previous on-course test, I only used the Synergy on the back 9. This time, I used it for all 18 holes and hit driver on 12 of them.

My concerns from the last round were the feeling of the livelier tip compared to my Ahina, the difficulty of fading the ball, and of course distance (though that would be settled on a launch monitor).

I had a decent day off the tee and the concerns are still there, but I feel like I have a better understanding of them.

Regarding the issue of feel, the shafts on my fairway woods also have a livelier tip than what I normally prefer, but if all my woods have that similar profile, it something I can get used to, at least until I get new clubs with new shafts (which won't be for a few years). Importantly, I would characterize the X100's in my irons as having a similar profile, at least compared to Project X or C-Taper.

Regarding the difficulty in fading the ball, I actually have trouble shaping the ball at all. In other words, even my stock draw is more of a straight ball. That doesn't mean I'll always hit the fairway of course, as I can (and do) still push and pull it, but I'm willing to give up a little shaping off the tee if it eliminates my overdraw miss, which the Synergy seems to do.

In summary, the Synergy isn't a pure upgrade from my Ahina, but there are enough benefits that I think I'm going to stick with the change. It certainly doesn't hurt that it's a shiny new toy compared with my nearly 7-year-old Ahina. If I'm correct in my theory that the Synergy is only tipped 1" compared to 1.5" overall for my Ahina, that would certainly help explain my concerns, but tipping another 1/2" and adding a 1/2" extension is something I've done in the past and I don't really want to do it again, so I guess I'll just play the shaft as is.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

I was able to get in my second round of testing yesterday. Weather was in the mid 50s when I teed off and reached 65*F by the end of the round.

For my previous on-course test, I only used the Synergy on the back 9. This time, I used it for all 18 holes and hit driver on 12 of them.

My concerns from the last round were the feeling of the livelier tip compared to my Ahina, the difficulty of fading the ball, and of course distance (though that would be settled on a launch monitor).

I had a decent day off the tee and the concerns are still there, but I feel like I have a better understanding of them.

Regarding the issue of feel, the shafts on my fairway woods also have a livelier tip than what I normally prefer, but if all my woods have that similar profile, it something I can get used to, at least until I get new clubs with new shafts (which won't be for a few years). Importantly, I would characterize the X100's in my irons as having a similar profile, at least compared to Project X or C-Taper.

Regarding the difficulty in fading the ball, I actually have trouble shaping the ball at all. In other words, even my stock draw is more of a straight ball. That doesn't mean I'll always hit the fairway of course, as I can (and do) still push and pull it, but I'm willing to give up a little shaping off the tee if it eliminates my overdraw miss, which the Synergy seems to do.

In summary, the Synergy isn't a pure upgrade from my Ahina, but there are enough benefits that I think I'm going to stick with the change. It certainly doesn't hurt that it's a shiny new toy compared with my nearly 7-year-old Ahina. If I'm correct in my theory that the Synergy is only tipped 1" compared to 1.5" overall for my Ahina, that would certainly help explain my concerns, but tipping another 1/2" and adding a 1/2" extension is something I've done in the past and I don't really want to do it again, so I guess I'll just play the shaft as is.

My impressions of Synergy Blue continue to be remarkably similar to this. The performance results are VERY good while the feel is so different from what I'm comfortable with. I still can't decide if the different (not better or worse, just different) feel the shaft provides is worth continuing with when there might be some performance benefit but it's not obvious enough. I talked with the POC at Aldila that we were given (who was nothing but gracious and helpful) and asked if Synergy was going to be coming to market in a bend profile more similar to Tour Green or Rogue Silver, and while he didn't concretely confirm that it is, he did say that if it does become available that it would be around 9-12 months from now.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Man, looks like us slower swing speeds were doomed from the start with this! Only chose members using X flex.

Loving the input and reviews, and that's one great looking shaft. Definitely going to want to get my hands on one to test out. Also, anyone wanna sell me their water bottle? Lol

Having seen video of you hitting 3 wood from the rough I would say don’t sleep on trying it In X. My opinion alwasy has been that aldila stuff played softer feeling to me. So I play TX almost always compared to X in anything else. You see that a lot on tour too. ( Jordan Spieth being a tx example with rogue at not nearly beastly swing speed ). I’d amost guarantee you’d like the feel of it in x Untipped for Driver. I guess my point is. This is a smooth shaft. No telephone pole here so these reviews should apply to anyone.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Drew how’s it behaving now? Do you think you might need a heavier shaft?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I've always like the Blue/VS Proto bend profile, especially in fairway woods and hybrids. Will have to give this one a try.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Drew how's it behaving now? Do you think you might need a heavier shaft?

I put a strip of lead tape on the base of the adapter, as it was just feeling too light, especially down by the head and it made for some interesting changes. Dispersion got more consistent (missing just left instead of both ways), and spin dropped. I am going to take a bit of the tape off to see if I can find the sweet spot between missing both ways and missing too far left.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Well.. Im 6 rounds in with the Synergy M1 combo.... ( 25 rounds or soon the M1 head) .. And in these soupy conditions im really impressed with the carry numbers im seeing... And my dispersion is realy best ive ever seen .. Part of this is me ( maybe most) as i have recently shallowed my driver swing out a good bit and am seeing significantly lower spin numbers and less high right misses.

I am curious..If any Aldila folks see this... Are these shafts the exact same as whats coming in the Epic Rogue drivers? I know you cant get 70TX in them from callaway..But other than that is it exactly the same ?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Really interested in how this shaft profiles and performs vs. the Evenflow Blue and the Green Mamba

I'm thinking it will be smoother than the X-Torsion Green but not as smooth as the EF Blue, and spin a little less than the X-Torsion Green which IIRC Toll Bros mentioning spun similary or slightly more than the Tensei Pro White.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

Launch monitor trip report. The GC Quad was down so I had to use the GC2 backup. I'm not sure if it was set up properly because I was regularly getting backspin numbers in the 1600s using a Pro V1x when Trackman has put me closer to 2200 rpm.

In any case, I started off with the Synergy, switched to my Ahina, then switched back to the Synergy. It was my first time hitting the Ahina since my first on-course test nearly 4 weeks ago, but the tip stiffness felt really, really good. The numbers basically confirmed my on-course results. Launch was about 13* for the Ahina and maybe 0.5* higher than the Synergy. Spin was similar, maybe 100 rpm higher for the Synergy. Ball speeds were similar; my fastest with the Ahina was 2 mph higher than my fastest with the Synergy but that's obviously dictated by strike.

Generally speaking, I can switch from my Ahina without any loss of performance. As I've said before, I like the idea of a newer shaft with fancy graphene technology, but the tip action remains uncomfortable (that's what she said). I'm hoping to get a round in this coming week because the week after will be very rainy, and we'll see how it feels after another 18 holes.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

• 1 month later...

wqEQDCE.jpg

fEyzJEd.jpg

Thanks to zripp3, I was able to play Pinetree Country Club just outside Atlanta last week. We played from the tips where it's 7108 yds and 75.0/141 so it was a legit driving test. I hit driver on every non-par 3, even some where I should have layed up, so I had 14 good attempts.

I hadn't played since my last on course test almost 2 months earlier, so my swing was definitely rusty, but I got some really good drives out of the Synergy. Fading the ball was a bit easier but still more difficult that I'd like, and for some reason the ball just doesn't look or feel like it goes as far even though the launch monitor and on-course results says otherwise.

Importantly, however, since it had been a while since my last round, I wasn't focused on how the shaft felt because I was just trying to get my swing back into rhythm. What that means is the livelier tip didn't bother me at all during the round which is a noticeable change from my previous on-course tests. Of course, the longer you spend with a piece of equipment, the more you get used to it.

So, after 3 rounds across 3 months on 2 different courses, 1 of which I had never seen before, I can't really say the Synergy outperforms my Ahina, but it certainly has fancier/newer tech and my actual shaft is newer (and therefore stiffer/in better shape?) so I'm happy to make the switch permanent.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a driver fitting today and had a chance to hit the Synergy 60 S in a Rogue. Just a little background, avg clubhead speed lately has been around 95-97, though I’m looking to start working out again in the winter and get some power and speed. Biggest takeaway from today is that I found out I’m actually a low spin player, and I’m currently playing a low spin head (F8+ 9.5*). I hit the Rogue with both the Evenflow Blue 6.0 and the Synergy 60S. With the Rogue set to 10.5, I was getting about 13 launch, 2200-2400 spin and about 6 yards average more carry than my current setup. I’m not going to buy a new driver, but I plan on doing two things: setting my driver to 10.5, and keeping an eye out on the BST and the bay for a Synergy 60S. This is the first time I’ve been able to try any of the newer shafts out, and I totally got that “smooth yet stable” feeling. It’s like my Kuro Kage Silver, but elevated. I immediately searched out this thread after the fitting, and noticed, like others, the lack of sub triple digit swing speed reviews, hopefully this sheds a little light on that. Summary: great feeling shaft, piercing flight, stable, consistent spin, oh, and great feeling shaft.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

well i put the synergy 60s in my m3 driver and played today and it felt great im not sure it was much longer than my gamer fuji 565 but i felt i had control better so therefore hit more shots i couldnt with the 565 , i have the aldila tour red i liked alot but i hit it lower they felt very similar though , very smooth feeling for sure is a good wording for it , i did hit some pretty big shots with it , so far so good im playing tomorrow as well in a superball tourny , i will let u know how it goes, im going to trust it without taking my gamer shaft

well im back i played the superball with it and hit major bombs with it and one of my buddies wants the same setup , lol he couldnt believe how awesome the head shaft combo felt and it also matches lol i wonder why TM didnt use this instead of the tensei , but then i played sunday and didnt miss hardly any drives the ones i did stayed in great play first cut type stuff , very impressed with this shaft , i liked it so much i ordered a 3 wood with it , i laready had the epic rogue 3 hy with it and its awesome as well , hope this helps the 100 or less mph swingers , its awesome believe me im a shaft guy , im alost a golfsmith so i have seen just about all of the newer stuff and so far this one is the best bang for my swing