Are women's clubheads different from mens?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure with respect to today’s modern club heads, but, I have acquired and reshafted a number of “vintage” ladies sets over the years. Usually find the club heads in much better condition with respect to age. And, I played an older Callaway Gems Driver, reshafted, as a strong 3 wood back in the mid-nineties. I remember the shop I got it from telling me it was the same head as the men’s models, just a different loft. It was a very solid player.

I've done this. Some weight adjustment may be needed, but they are close enough. I looked at a couple of maltby heads and the ladies is 5g heavier.

[color=#0000ff]Callaway Epic SZ 10.5 - GD YS7 Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Callaway 815 14 - GD YS7 Stiff[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Taylormade M3 Hybrids 17, 21 - Tensei Pro White 90 S[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Bridgestone J15 DF/CB 5-PW - RIP Tour 90 R[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Bridgestone J15 50 - Modus 120[/color]
[color=#0000ff]Miura [/color][color=#0000FF]54, 57C - KBS Tour[/color]
[color=#0000FF]Byron Morgan DH89[/color]

Generally speaking if the mens and ladies heads are the same except for cosmetics/paint scheme then the heads are the same weight. Except for the cosmetics the heads will weigh the same.

If the heads are actually a different configuration size and looks wise then all bets are off.

I assume weighting could be, as if you ordered a men’s Mizuno Iron set in +3/4” length, you would get “B” weight head which is slightly lighter to keep swing weights consistent across the board.

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

In most component catalogs, you will find that women's clubheads differ in loft from men's but weights are equal or similar. I have built many clubs with women's clubheads and male shafts/grips with good results. Ex., had a buddy who wanted a 20 degree fairway wood (7 wood) at the length of a 5 wood. I bought a ladies 5w head at 20 degrees, but it had normal 5w weight. Mens shaft at 42", mens grip= hi lofted 5w.

• Cobra Max 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway BB 7h
  • PING Eye 2+ 7-SW
  • Odyssey VLine

The only clubs I know that are different are the G LE woods from Ping. Our rep was skeptical about letting swing speeds above 105 hit them. Said something about the material in the face being "softer" than men's clubs.

I would think women's club heads would be heavier though. My fiance's set of Ping's feel very head heavy.

head weight COULD be slightly lighter.

I actually read that they're possibly slightly heavier. I assumed it must be due to shorter length and swingweight.

Interesting. I had read a few places that stipulated women's irons were slightly lighter. Not sure on woods.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

The club in question is actually a Nike Vapor Fly 3HL Wood. I can't seem to get a good condition mens one. But I've come across a good ladies version. I think I might just go for it.

To answer your question specifically, I've had both a men's and women's Nike Vapor Fly 3HL for the exact same reason that you are looking at. They were identical ... aside from the women's version being in MUCH better condition. Hope that helps.

The club in question is actually a Nike Vapor Fly 3HL Wood. I can't seem to get a good condition mens one. But I've come across a good ladies version. I think I might just go for it.

To answer your question specifically, I've had both a men's and women's Nike Vapor Fly 3HL for the exact same reason that you are looking at. They were identical ... aside from the women's version being in MUCH better condition. Hope that helps.

Question answered then! Thanks very much!