Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

9s hands down, due to the fact I custom ordered the ones with the 5.5s, 1/2 inch short, with OS GP grips. The stiff graphite’s are going head to head this week with them while we are down here in Florida. Although, for some reason the 8 head shake is more appealing to my eye, I’d pick the 9s, hands down. Have 4-SW in both sets. Love ‘em.

Thanks, that's along the line I was thinking, cut down to 36.75 I think would be way more comfy for me that fidgeting with gripping down every time I'm digging into the middle of my bag. F9 is decently priced right now since the release of speedzone. Think I'll pull the trigger before spring and go half and half SL/VL.

• Like 1

First round out with my one lengths today. Picked up a 4-pw cobra forged set. I must say I’m pretty surprised by the results. The short irons especially the PW was very fun to hit. I’d say it went about just as far as my normal distances...maybe a few yards more...but wow like super high...the pw was dead straight. I normally hit about 44% of greens today I hit 50% but a few shots were on the fridge. I was super happy with the long irons as well...the 5 was just as high as my normal 5 iron and the distance was on point. 195 in and hit my 5 iron pin high. However I will say you have to commit to the swing, if I backed off at all from a normal swing the ball would have the tendency to move to the right. Anyway I’m happy with this new adventure! 4 birdies today!

• Like 1

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back to SL again, using a combo of Pinhawk Vertex 6-AW, and a Pinhawk 5H, all at 37 inches.

The hybrid is so good that I'm going to get a 4H as well. By good I mean that it still goes nice and high, and the right distance, and being so short I can put a very confident swing on it. I'm a slow swinger at 75 MPH, so the 4H might be marginal height wise, but at least might be good for tight lay ups and greens that can be run up onto. I bet it will be fine off a tee, too.

The Vertexes go high and straight. They are very much SGI irons. The 6 iron is a hotter face, hollow body, and it performs as such. Nice and high. I adjusted the lofts to be as follows: 28, 32, 36, 40, 44, 48. They might change after I really figure out my gaps. But they are close, if not already good. I bought the sand wedge but haven't built it because the AW is presently going too high and coming up short. (And I have decent mechanics.) That's mostly why I bent it from 50 to 48 and adjusted the others accordingly. I also tipped the shaft (SK Fiber TT75R) to the max, beyond max actually. Still the same issue. Right now I'm trying to figure out a good substitute for the AW. I might just buy a regular wedge instead. I play two MD2's right now, 54 bent to 53, and 58. I could get a 50 and bend it to 48 and be happy.

But I do love the one club benefit of SL, and I think I should be able to find a gap wedge that does better. And maybe even a 53 degree as well. I like the easy height of the Vertexes, and might combo up some regular Pinhawks for the wedges, I dunno. In a perfect world I would get some Cobra OL wedges and add weight, I guess. (They are 10g lighter than the Vertexes.) Trying not to spend that kind of money on speculation, lol.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

so I've played Edel SLS-01 for a couple of years and really like the heads and Paderson shafts. My experience with SL has been good and I believe has helped stabilize my often over the top casting swing. I'm now a 9 index. My only problem has been with the upper irons and wind. Physics apparently dictates the diminished length 4-5 irons will have less peak height and the extended length 8- 9-PW-GW go really high. It's great... when there is no wind. Playing at the beach was hard. Even trying to hit punch shots and knock downs the ball was really high. Is it worth going back to the old 'standard' length 8-GW in the wind instead? I don't know.. But it will be fun to try out as long as there aren't huge distance gaps.

I believe the high loft ones going high is due mostly to the shallower angle of attack that you get with a longer club. The club head speed is only about 3 MPH faster, so that's not it. And I've tried tipped or lower flight shafts like Cobra and Edel are doing, with not enough change to get excited about it.

I am going to have to do with the wedges what I did with my last set: Open my stance a bit and play the ball back a bit.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have dismantled a set of One Lengths, is Cobra using any tip weights in their stock builds ? I want to acquire a used set of OL and cut down to 36.75” or 37.0” which means adding probably 6-8 grams of tip weights.

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

I would love to try the SL as an experiment If I came accross a three tier length set :

- 4H + 5i -7i = 37"- 8i-PW = 36.25" ( 8 iron length)- GW +SW = standard VL

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

^^^ I already play L-S-G-PW SL at 36.25" , then I go up in 1/4" increments and 0.5 SW per club, then my 6-5-4 are SL at 37.25"

My next build will be:

36.25" Lob-Sand ( RTX-4 )

36.50" G-P-9-8-7 ( Adams CMB bent 1* strong, the 7i will be 33* ) 

36.75  7-6-5  ( EQ1-NX irons bent 1* weak, 7-6-5 at 33-29-25* )

That will give me 2 same-lofted 7 irons. I will game them and see if one of them proves to be preferable over the other. If I'm getting good distance / separation out of the EQ1 7-6-5, then I will eventually shorten them 1/4" to match the 7-GW lengths. For me, a bit shorter is always better, but for starters I don't want to sacrifice distance gapping out of the gate with the EQ1.

• 2 weeks later...

Still loving my one lengths, especially the longer irons. Has anyone cut down the shorter irons to standard length and did this cause any issues? I'm assuming the SWs could be a little off.

Mavrik Sub Zero 8* AD DI 6X

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 13.5*

Callaway Apex UW 17* AD DI 7X

Callaway Apex UT 2 iron  Smoke Black

Sub 70 TC raw 4-pw  KBS 120 Black
Taylormade Hi-Toe 52 and 58

Odyssey 7s Stroke Lab

Changed my mind and just put in an order for EQ1-NX 5-SW and a 4H and lots of bore weights. I may as well go all-in on this build. I still plan to build a 3 length set with 1/4" increments, see my post 2 above. Shafts will be from a set of Accra Tour 110i that I've been sitting from a previous build. Latest updates from Wishon's site ( comments section ) is mid-June for the irons and mid-July for the hybrids & woods. Covid is naturally causing manufacturing delays.

I am still and have been playing 1/4 increments since 2002. I go down 1/4 to the 9 iron. PW, GW, SW, LW are all the same length. 6 Iron is 1/4 short, 5 iron is 1/2 short and 4 iron is 3/4 short. Not really SL, but I view the world as set length is part of a custom fit set.

Yes, I do have lead tape on my long irons. Yes i did some porting in the hosel on the short irons. I am still experimenting with my new GW, SW, and LW to decide if I will port the back of them or just stick with them being a little bit heavier (SW) than I used to play.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

^^^ Cool that you have been doing 1/4" for such a long time !

I very recently re-tweaked the set in my signature. The L-S-G-PW are SL 36.25 , 9i = 36.5 , 8i = 36.75 , 7i = 37.0, then I am SL 5-6-3 at 37.25. Can't wait to game them once our courses open up ! The Cobra One Length Utilities are an interesting club with stock length of 37.25 with normal grip, an comes with a Recoil 780 F4. I bought a sleeve and made up a matching Steelfiber for it. FYI the head weight is 265g. I found the 3i locally, and recently bought the 4i & 5i on eBay, which should get here in a week. I'll have too much stuff to play with, judge flight, gapping, reliability, and then deciding what to keep, and how my current hybrids fit in, or not. The fun never ends !

One nuisance was that the RTX-4 are D5 stock. I had to drill out a lot to lighten them up to play longer at 36.25". Even now they are a bit heavy for my liking, so I may need to port the backsides if their weight becomes a playing problem.

Just gave up the One Length experiment. Started with the long irons, where I subbed in traditional length. But now I am completely back to variable length and have never been hitting the ball better. I do think the One Length experiment did help me though with understand my swing and setup. Also learned an invaluable lesson about hybrids, as I now play a shortened model. But time to throw the F8s on the bay!

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

^^^ even better, I just ordered a set of the upcoming EQ1-NX heads

• 1 month later...

Looking for some suggestions on the 4 hybrid vs the Iron. I've been playing the 5,6,7 for several months and really enjoy them. I carry the 6 low-mid 160s, 5 low-mid 170s and am happy with these distances. With how fast I'm swinging do you think id be able to get the iron out there to 180s? Id prefer the iron due to the comfort I have looking down at one but would ok with the hybrid if I don't have the speed. I have serious issues hitting any club off the deck that's over 38 inches, I'm playing my irons at 36.75.

I don't think there will be any benefit for you using a 4 iron (especially the strong lofted 4s in most of these sets) as a 180 club, but that's just my opinion. If I were you I'd go hybrid.

That being said, the correct answer is always to try them both and find out for sure.

Titleist TSR2 9* Tensei Blue

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I’m playing 6-AW Pinhawk Vertex irons. They are intended to be 36.5 inches, but mine are D1 at 37” with 80 gram graphite shafts.

I’m benefiting from the SL aspect. But not personally in love with the shovel size and shape. Very SGI. My iron swing speed is 75. For now I’ve bent them to even 4 degree gaps. 28d 6 iron to 48d AW. The AW goes very high like most SL ones do.

I’m not getting along with the 6 yet. That should improve, based on my past play with SL.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• 2 weeks later...

Ive switched back again, I play about the same scores with VL vs SL I just have a lot more confidence in SL clubs. The long irons I'm just very comfortable with and the wedges I'm really comfortable with as well.

I actually gained some distance due to ball position moving a touch back so I can get through impact with more speed.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

Been playing SL for almost a year now using Cobra Forged Tec Black Irons...found Paderson Kinetixx S.L. shafts on ebay and have switched them into my set...Excited to try them out took them to the range and noticed a higher ball flight out of my 4 and 5 irons as well as a little lower flight out of my 8,9,PW. Definitely intrigued by the combination!

Ping G400Max 11*

Taylormade M4 3wood

Callaway Tour Issue Superhybrid 23*

Ping I230 4-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/56/60

Scotty Cameron Newport+ Jet Set