Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

43 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

-shaft weight did impact performance, as well as flex

-if u swing 120 with driver, I recommend trying a shorter than 7 iron build.my one lengths are pw length right now, I really love it. U don’t need the speed, the increased accuracy has been great for me. 
-when swing pw length, no need to go lighter in long irons for faster speed. Again, if ur 120+.  Otherwise, it’s a decent path But matching flex profile with different weight was not easiest. Ymmv. I like 120g or more, tried less, and the launch and spin and dispersion went crazy on full swings. 

-tried all 7 iron, tried progressive, all types of flex. settled now on all x7 wedge shafts at pw length. 5-9 iron. Went with a vokey pw cause who wouldn’t pick that over cobra pw. 

-tried 110 steelfibers. That is a nice build. If super fast swinger, not the best fit probably

Which heads did you use for the PW length build? e.g. my EQ1-NX are 277g head weight (incl. tip weights), yours have to be 290g+?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now wait a minute, you're telling me that a forged club feels/sounds better than a large hollow iron made of 431 stainless? 😉  

BTW, forgot to post that I set a new personal best last Saturday with my Forged One's... 76. I was 1 over through 17, then imploded with a triple bogey on 18.

In a few weeks, I am going to pull the trigger on a set of Edel SLS-01 irons. I got fitted in November and after making repairs to my home in the wake of Hurricane Harvey, can finally order them.   I

Posted Images

1 hour ago, extrastiff said:

-shaft weight did impact performance, as well as flex

-if u swing 120 with driver, I recommend trying a shorter than 7 iron build.my one lengths are pw length right now, I really love it. U don’t need the speed, the increased accuracy has been great for me. 
-when swing pw length, no need to go lighter in long irons for faster speed. Again, if ur 120+.  Otherwise, it’s a decent path But matching flex profile with different weight was not easiest. Ymmv. I like 120g or more, tried less, and the launch and spin and dispersion went crazy on full swings. 

-tried all 7 iron, tried progressive, all types of flex. settled now on all x7 wedge shafts at pw length. 5-9 iron. Went with a vokey pw cause who wouldn’t pick that over cobra pw. 

-tried 110 steelfibers. That is a nice build. If super fast swinger, not the best fit probably

That's great insight. I am swinging it 125+ on course with driver, but I am definitely going smoother at my irons. Typical 8 iron would be 180-185yrd. You don't find your 5/6 iron go too low? When I had the Edel I used 7 iron length, but was planning on going to 8 or 9 iron length.

The steelfibers were one of the options I was looking at, why would you say not a good fit? Also where have you been purchasing 7 identical iron shafts? I have found it difficult to find dealers who will sell 7 8iron shafts. I've been looking at C-Taper 130X, Modus 130x, Project X 7.0. I'd also love a black shaft if possible.

1 hour ago, jordan_mccomb said:

That's great insight. I am swinging it 125+ on course with driver, but I am definitely going smoother at my irons. Typical 8 iron would be 180-185yrd. You don't find your 5/6 iron go too low? When I had the Edel I used 7 iron length, but was planning on going to 8 or 9 iron length.

The steelfibers were one of the options I was looking at, why would you say not a good fit? Also where have you been purchasing 7 identical iron shafts? I have found it difficult to find dealers who will sell 7 8iron shafts. I've been looking at C-Taper 130X, Modus 130x, Project X 7.0. I'd also love a black shaft if possible.

-not too low at that speed, and finding sweet spot now so ball speeds higher. Going with gi/sgi in 4/5/6 wouldn’t hurt tho. 

- steelfibers not stiff enough depending on tempo. Ur alternatives are way stiffer

-eBay for shafts. Been a year or more since 7 iron shafts so who knows now. 

jumping back in with my third or fourth set of sterlings..............they are turning into eye2's for me can't get rid of them and they are fun to play.  Has anyone had any experience with with the eq1 fairway woods?  curious did a search and really didn't find anything.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

Today golf courses here finally opened and I was able to hit my EQ1-NX test irons, PW and 5i, and I have to say I didn’t like their feedback at all. For someone playing Mizuno irons for most of his golfing career (~25 years) the Wishons just feel clicky to me. That’s the best I can describe it. A distinct feedback during contact - not like almost no feedback from the Mizunos on a perfect hit - this soft feel. The cobra forged tec were much closer feel wise, so I‘ll be looking further into this direction.

• Like 1
On 2/18/2021 at 1:52 PM, g-off said:

jumping back in with my third or fourth set of sterlings..............they are turning into eye2's for me can't get rid of them and they are fun to play.  Has anyone had any experience with with the eq1 fairway woods?  curious did a search and really didn't find anything.

I'm playing the EQ1-NX fwys at standard length. Decent model, solid impact. Low cg ball gets up nicely

Fitter
All Wishon, all the time:
519SHPR 11* Black Driver, Red Shaft - S
919F/D, Red Shaft
EQ1-NX 4 wood Red S-FLex
929 Fwy 5, Red Shaft
595 #3 Driving Iron Red hybrid S Flex
575MMC 6-GW Wishon Smooth Steel - S (B bag)
EQ1-NX 4 hybrid, Black hybrid Shaft
5-SW EQ1-NX S300's (A bag))
PCF Micro Tour Platinum 58*
S2R #5 putter Single Bend Shaft
Mid-firm urethane balls - too many to list
2 hours ago, Deepy said:

Today golf courses here finally opened and I was able to hit my EQ1-NX test irons, PW and 5i, and I have to say I didn’t like their feedback at all. For someone playing Mizuno irons for most of his golfing career (~25 years) the Wishons just feel clicky to me. That’s the best I can describe it. A distinct feedback during contact - not like almost no feedback from the Mizunos on a perfect hit - this soft feel. The cobra forged tec were much closer feel wise, so I‘ll be looking further into this direction.

The beauty of the EQ1-NX are the SL to 8 irons specs, the low offset and forgivness. They are in no way comparable in feel to a forged mizzy since they are a large - hollow 431 stainless design, they are not expected to be attractive to blade players. But if you can make the SL system work for you they get more and more gorgeous!

Fitter
919F/D, Red Shaft
EQ1-NX 4 wood Red S-FLex
929 Fwy 5, Red Shaft
15 hours ago, Deepy said:

The “forged” feeling single length offerings are slim to none these days. Been like 5 years since cobra released Bryson’s, forged tec is the next closest feel. 

hit me up if u don’t have any luck, I have a spare set of forged heads laying around I could scrounge up if you can’t find anyone else with some 

13 hours ago, TKS said:

I'm playing the EQ1-NX fwys at standard length. Decent model, solid impact. Low cg ball gets up nicely

The idea of a GI/SGI single length set at PW length is starting to sound nice. 

Easy launch, low spin, short length. Put some mmt wedge shafts, maybe s+ flex.  . . Might be a cheater set right there

On 2/22/2021 at 2:34 PM, Deepy said:

Now wait a minute, you're telling me that a forged club feels/sounds better than a large hollow iron made of 431 stainless? 😉

• Like 3
Fitter
919F/D, Red Shaft
EQ1-NX 4 wood Red S-FLex
929 Fwy 5, Red Shaft
7 hours ago, BreezyBrett20 said:

Looking to pick up a set of cobras to try, perhaps dumb question but if I shorten the shafts of all of the irons by 1/4 inch will it mess the swing weights up?

if you lower them all by the same amount, the swing weights will still match each other club in the set however it will be a slightly lower swing weight to what they were previously. could always add lead tape to the heads if you find the lower swing weight an issue