What was your first set as a junior?

My first set was a Jack Nicklaus signature set with 3 laminated woods and a full set of irons. I got it at the Navy Exchange at Moffet Field in Mountain View. I really liked the set until I got Pings. The golf pro at Cherry Chase in Sunnyvale traded.me a low lofted driver and a sand wedge for the whole set. He ripped me off but oh well. I just remember how nice those Nicklaus irons looked with their gold lettering....sweet

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wont get into the walmart / liquidation sets I started with from age 11-13

Grade 8 Age 14 (2004), I mustered the funds for the following setup which I was super proud of at the time. Grinded hard for it

TM 200 Steel 10.5 / Snake Eyes 600T 3W 15* / Snake Eyes Quick Strike II Hybrid 19* / Cleveland TA-5 3-P / Cally X14 SW / Component LW / Rossa Maranello

• 3 weeks later...

Had a set of mixed hand-me-downs my cousin gave me....but my first full set Purchased from WoolCo in 1972 (Big Box Woolworths) was a full set of Wilson Sam Snead Signature Woods (laminated; Driver, 3wood) and Irons 2-9. I kept the PW from the mixed set it was some sort of Wilson as well. No Sand Wedge...my home course had no bunkers. Full set had leather Reminder grips (I think these are illegal now (and maybe then)). Irons were actually pretty nice looking blades (everything was a blade in those days, although I remember a kid showed up a tournament with a set of Ping Eye Irons; we thought the dude was from Mars or sump'n..... that kid went on to become a scratch golfer and club champion at one of the most exclusive clubs in my city... guess he knew what he was doing with those cavity backs.

I remember my first full iron set (3-PW) were Maxfli Australian blades. They were old AF, but cost me like $100.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65 S
Ping G410 17.5 5 Wood Alta CB Red 65 S

Ping G410 22 Hybrid (set at 20.5) Alta CB Red 70 S

Srixon Z785 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 120 S
Titleist SM7 Jet Black Vokey 50, 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

Didn't start playing till I was 17 and my first set were hand me down ping zing 2. Got a set of cobra SSi irons for xmas that year.

CP

Cobra F9 10.5 Atmos TS Black 60X
Cobra F8 3/4 (14.5) NV 2KXV Blue 80X
Cobra Baffler 18.5 NV 2KXV Blue 80X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
SM6 52 F Grind, 56 & 60 M Grind
EvnRoll ER8 mallet

First full set was Spalding Executives. Hit those things reasonably well. I believe they might still be in my mother's garage.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

a set of wilson 1200 ( or something like that ) irons and woods.

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

Wilson staff blades!

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master

My moms Patty Berg by Wilson a blade putter 3,5,7,9 a sand iron and two woods. . Had the reminder grips that are now illegal.

Next set I stayed with Wilson but moved up to staffs.

Learning on a limited set like that was good for my game, had to learn how to manipulate the ball. Still look at a shot today and think more about flight than yardage.

Ping 9° G410+ tensi orange s
Ping 3 Wood G410+ tour 75 shaft s.  
Ping 5 wood G410 Alta s
Adams 9031 23° Mitsubishi diamana 
Ping G710 DG 105 R300
Ping glide stealth 54° es grind
Ping glide 2 58°. ES
Ping anser

I have no idea what they were. Found them in an alley in a pile of trash when the person got evicted. I do know that I learned how to hit off a thin lie with them though. Golf ball goes a long way if you pick it clean off a city street :) We even stuck a tee in a crack in the street and pelted the #1 wood trying to be Curtis Strange until it cracked and finally busted. I still to this day don't know how we didn't hit any windows or cars trying to play golf in the inner city lmfao. But I can say with 100% certainty that I was not worried about spin and launch angle and whether the shaft was too stiff.

My first clubs were bought individually. Northwestern Marty Furgol 3W, 3 and 5 irons and putter, all bought with Christmas and birthday money, back in 1965. When I was 17, my Dad brought home a half set of ancient Wright and Ditson Beeline early pyratone clubs, All had names, driver, brassie, spoon, mid iron, mashie, pitcher, niblic and putter in a canvas bag. He bought them from a co worker for $3.

Used those clubs, until I became gainfully employed after the US Army. In 1975, I bought a set of Wilsons, 3 woods, 8 irons.

A women's "Intro" set ordered from Austad's and paid for with paper route money in 1977 (I was 10) - bag, Driver, 3w, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, PW and a Bullseye putter - some signature model (Whitworth, Rankin, ???) made by Ram. I filled in the 'even' numbered irons over the next year or so. I played them until I was 14 when I became a little tall for them and I got tired of folks making fun of my light blue bag and light blue laminated woods.

They were replaced by a well used set of McGregor VIPs.

First "real" set of clubs was Hogan Apex Redline, a set of Tony Penna persimmon woods just as the metal wood phase was beginning, and an Anser putter.

About 1988, was 11 and I had a half set of Dunlop Peter Thompson blades. A John Riley 3 wood and Wilson 5 wood....had a Ray Cook putter (shaped like the ram zebra) and I remember the really loud ping noise it made. Still got the irons, which look scary now.....never thought anything different back then, it was an iron plain and simple

My Grandmother took the 3, 5, 7, 9i & 3w from her Staff Dynapowers along with a Mac blade putter, had them cut down and gave me the 9i & putter in 1967(I was 7yo), the 7i in 1968 and the rest of the set in 1969.

She did the same thing in 1971, when I was 11yo, again with Staffs, with whom she had a Playing arrangement, though she always Played a Mac putter and Hogan woods and then Pennas. She never Played Staff woods but gave em to me, lmao?

My first complete set was her 1971 Button Backs given to me for my 14th Birthday in 1974. She only Played her irons two years before replacing so my irons were like new and all the other lil kids had those cheap arse adult plated box sets which were usually cut down, lol

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I have no idea what they were. Found them in an alley in a pile of trash when the person got evicted. I do know that I learned how to hit off a thin lie with them though. Golf ball goes a long way if you pick it clean off a city street :) We even stuck a tee in a crack in the street and pelted the #1 wood trying to be Curtis Strange until it cracked and finally busted. I still to this day don't know how we didn't hit any windows or cars trying to play golf in the inner city lmfao. But I can say with 100% certainty that I was not worried about spin and launch angle and whether the shaft was too stiff.

Fantastic!!! Inner city golf.....oh a kids dream

I didn't start playing until I turned 50. Now I feel like I missed something. :-)

You did. A few dozen worthless overweight X flex shafts and probably some of the most inconsistent graphite shafts you've ever seen.

Ha! When I started I purchased an off the rack set. Knowing nothing, that was a big mistake. A year later I went in for a fitting and it turned out I needed +2-inches and 2º upright. My first set was the Ping G5's.