2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rogue Subzero Fairway wood

odshot68

In my experience, I think SC-TX 88's approach isn't bad. I took the Epic fairway out last year, and every time I hit it, I felt like I broke it. Just an awful, awful, awful sound. Regardless of the ball flight, the sound left me with an awful feeling. I was happy to give the demo club back to the Pro Shop.

I hope the sound is better this year.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone finding success with the fairway yet?

I have the 15 SZ with Evenflow Blue 75 6.5, and it dethroned my alternating gamers -- Titleist 917 and 16' M2. I love the feel of the Titleist, very muted. The SZ feels as good as the Titleist but it has higher ball speed, launches higher, and spins less. I hit 3 wood off the tee a lot at my home course and I have hit quite a few more fairways with the SZ. Maybe it's the honeymoon, but it has been a real winner for me.

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

In my experience, I think SC-TX 88's approach isn't bad. I took the Epic fairway out last year, and every time I hit it, I felt like I broke it. Just an awful, awful, awful sound. Regardless of the ball flight, the sound left me with an awful feeling. I was happy to give the demo club back to the Pro Shop.

Funny, my playing partners love the sound of my Epic SZ 3+.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

I played collegiately in another sport (lots of equipment in that one too), and I don’t care what the numbers say if it’s a piece of equipment that I don’t like the look or sound of, I am never going to have enough confindence in it under the gun. Numbers mean nothing when the game is on the line and YOU (not the equipment) have to perform. If it’s somwthing I already am not crazy about that’s just a little more negativity creeping in.

Titleist TSR2 9 w/Ventus Black 6X
TM BRNR Mini 13.5 w/Ventus TR Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 18 w/Ventus Black 9X or TM P760 3 w/HZRDUS Black 6.5 105
Artisan FC 4, Artisan HC 5&6, Artisan MB 7-PW (4 TI X100 120, 5-PW TI X100)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck

+1

Did they like the sound because they liked the result? To be honest, to each their own. It sound like I was hitting the ball with a piece of wood.

+1

Did they like the sound because they liked the result? To be honest, to each their own. It sound like I was hitting the ball with a piece of wood.

Mine sounds like I am hitting it with a plastic club. The GBB went from a loud TING! to a weird plastic crack with the Epic. The Rogue is a nice balance and honestly what they should have made in the Epic. I've moved on to a Ping as I just like the simple design and nature of their wood.

From what I recall with the ESZ fairway, was that the weight had everything to do with the sound and feel. One way was good, the other was terrible. My 917f3 beat it pretty good then...I also have a g400, so I can compare all those with my rogue 15 degree with the 83 gram yellow when it arrives...

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Out of curiosity, last year I felt the Epic fairway (regular) looked close at address, while the Sub-Zero was more square or slightly open. Anyone know if it's the same this year?

My eye test shows rogue to be slightly less closed, rogue sub zero in line with epic sz As slightly open

Agreed, Rogue SZ seems just a touch open to me.

Driver: Epic  Max LS  - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Fairway: Epic Speed 13.5 - Ventus (velocore) Blue - 7X
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Ping Blueprints - X100
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: 21' Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Ball: 21' TP5X

Reviews for this club have been pretty impressive so far. I just ordered mine and traded some other clubs in; it should end up costing me about $75 when it's all said and done. I got the Synergy blue shaft, just because I am intrigued by the graphene materials and what people have been saying about it. They call it a 60, but it is 68 grams, so really closer to a "70" shaft. I should have it next week, but with the weather here in Indy, I don't expect to hit it for a few more weeks.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I hit both the Rogue and Rogue SZ extensively. I've typically played the "players" version of fairway woods and went into it thinking the Rogue SZ would be the cats meow for me. Right off the bat I actually liked the regular Rogue better visually. Not too big, appeared to be a bit deeper faced than the SZ, and appeared to sit neutral. Perfect size for a fairway wood IMO. Performance and feel/sound was also a win for the regular Rogue and I ended up getting the best results with the Synergy shaft in stiff flex (Synergy and Even Flow Blue were the available options). I was a little concerned about the higher torque values (4.7) and lighter weight of the Synergy (68g), but it held up very well and felt great. FWIW, my swing speed was around 91-94MPH on average, and I hit a few that reached 97MPH. I have a short-ish backswing and smooth overall swing.

Ping G430 LST 9* 
TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5W 18*

Callaway Apex UW 21*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 6-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

Out of curiosity, last year I felt the Epic fairway (regular) looked close at address, while the Sub-Zero was more square or slightly open. Anyone know if it's the same this year?

Here is a pic of the Rogue SZ 3+

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Beautiful Bob! Have you hit it?

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

Beautiful Bob! Have you hit it?

Not mine...from another forum!

But mine is on order with a Project X Evenflow Black 79g X, -1/2", D3

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Here is a pic of the Rogue SZ 3+

Wow, that looks great. Very excited to get it.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

Anyone think about the 5 wood? It's close to a 4 wood.

Let me re-write this post. I normally play a 4 wood. Callaway offers a a 17 degree 4 wood in the normal Rogue line, but only offers a 15 degree 3 wood or 18 degree 5 wood in the Sub Zero line.

I think I would be interested in the a sub Zero 5 wood.

I was able to at least hit the rogue SZ fairway a few times on course today. It hit well from tee and turf. I had one huge drive with it that was 30 yards beyond the group. Other than that, nothing stood out, but it was on average a few yards longer. I was hitting about 5 balls at a time along with my gamer. I need more time but with it. For me, they nailed the lie angle and the size. I felt like I could square up the face easy to my target. Like it so far, but will see if worth bagging....

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

OP here, I've hit this a few times on flightscope and the SZ was about 400 rpms less spin than standard version. Both blew away new TM woods (very disappointed). I loved the M2 tour woods last year too so not a TM hater. Unfortunately, the SZ couldn't match ball speeds of Exotics CBX. Ordered a 4 CBX fairway with Hzrds Black 75.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S 

Callaway AI Smoke Max Project X Denali Black 70S 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5

Vokey SM10 50.08F & 56M DG S200

Callaway Jaws Raw Face Chrome 60Z DG Spinner 115 Steel

Odyssey Dual Force OR  Odyssey Jailbird LE 380 Microhinge Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

What is your gamer?

Yesterday my gamer was the g400. The RSZ does feel smaller and has a smaller face than the g400, but the RSZ I think can go slightly further on best strikes. I still had shots that were longer with my g400, g400 is more forgiving. My other gamer is the 917f3. I went out today for a few holes and hit all three of these. Today my preference was the titleist. Sometimes I thin the g400, maybe it has more weight in back. Titleist felt better than the RSZ off the face. RSZ feels firm to me at least compared to the other two. Preliminary thoughts...no decisions made yet...

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

OP here, I've hit this a few times on flightscope and the SZ was about 400 rpms less spin than standard version. Both blew away new TM woods (very disappointed). I loved the M2 tour woods last year too so not a TM hater. Unfortunately, the SZ couldn't match ball speeds of Exotics CBX. Ordered a 4 CBX fairway with Hzrds Black 75.

CBX is a nice fariway wood, but I was worried about forgiveness with it. I've already dealt with that issue with the TM M2 tour and over it. The regular M2 is a little too large size-wise for me, and the M3 doesn't have the forgiveness of the rogue. The rogue just seems to be a great balance of the right size, low enough spin, and one of the more forgiving fairway woods. It reminds me of the Cobra LTD with a slightly smaller shape, easier to launch and more forgiveness.

My Rogue Subzero Fairway with Synergy Blue shaft came today. It is a very good looking 3 wood. I can't wait to hit it. My club pro hit his this past week on a trip to Florida and said that it goes as far as his driver off the tee.

LEFT HANDED

Anyone finding success with the fairway yet?

I have the 15 SZ with Evenflow Blue 75 6.5, and it dethroned my alternating gamers -- Titleist 917 and 16' M2. I love the feel of the Titleist, very muted. The SZ feels as good as the Titleist but it has higher ball speed, launches higher, and spins less. I hit 3 wood off the tee a lot at my home course and I have hit quite a few more fairways with the SZ. Maybe it's the honeymoon, but it has been a real winner for me.

Same here, took the place of my 2017 m2 tour with KKDC TX. I pulled the trigger on a stock Rogue SZ 15 degree with the same Evenflow Blue 75 6.5 and after two days it's the best purchase I've made in awhile. I couldn't say it's the longest I'ver ever hit but man is this thing solid. Great off the tee and maybe one of the best I've ever hit off the deck. Seems more forgiving than the M2 tour and sound and feel are better. I play a TX tipped 1.5" in my driver so was worried about the stock X and was thinking about changing it out before I bought it but I've been hitting it so good I may just keep it how it is. I think If I put something stiffer/heavier in it I could gain some distance but honestly it's going as far as I need it to with a nice high launch that doesn't seem to ballon.

Received my 3 and 5 rogue woods wednesday this week and have had them on range and course with new rogue 4 hybrid and all i can say is wow! both 3+5 with even flow 75g 6.5 and rip alpha 85 x in the hybrid and they are simply stunning i was looking at the 13.5 sz rogue with hzrdus black 75x coming from a 13 deg alpha 815 (14 played at 13)but it was just to long :WTF: and the spin just drops off hugely when missing the centre the stock 15deg was just more useable for what i need and ball speeds were insane i was expecting a need for upgrade shafts but the even flow blue 6.5 just works perfectly would have liked to try the black but not available here in the uk it seems all in all i would highly recommend trying the rogues as i was not bowled over by the epic 3 and 5 last year as good as they are but the rogues were a no brainer!

Titleist tsr3 8* C1 Diamana zf60tx 44.75”

Ping g425 LST 14.5 Diamana zf70tx 42.5”

PXG gen 2 5 wood 18* Diamana TB80tx 41”

PXG GEN 2  hybrid 22* Ventus blue 9x tip 1.5 inch 39”

Mizuno mp20 MMC 5-pw kbs c-taper 130X

Mizuno t20 50* kbs c-taper 130x

Mizuno ES21 54/58 kbs c-taper 130x

Ping Sigma G Kushin 33" custom flat cat svelte 

-prov1x

Anyone think about the 5 wood? It's close to a 4 wood.

Let me re-write this post. I normally play a 4 wood. Callaway offers a a 17 degree 4 wood in the normal Rogue line, but only offers a 15 degree 3 wood or 18 degree 5 wood in the Sub Zero line.

I think I would be interested in the a sub Zero 5 wood.

Would love to hear anybody's thoughts on the 5w as well. I've played 3HL/4w for a while now, and usually a 3w creates distance gaps and causes more problems than helps. Somewhat torn between the standard 4w and the SZ 5w.