Rogue Subzero Fairway wood

I'm leaning towards going away from the even flow black. It is a good shaft, but I feel that if you step on it or have an aggressive transition, it isn't quite as tight. Anyone else go away from the even flow shaft?

I have the EF Blue 75 6.5 (tipped 1 inch) in my SZ and love it. My swing speed is around 116, and I'm coming from a 917 f2 with a Kuro kage XTS 80TX. It's definitely a mid-launch, mid-spin shaft, but when coupled with how low spin the SZ head is, I've been getting great numbers. I was worried that it would feel loose in transition, but I haven't gotten that impression at all, and I'm hitting more fairways.

I think you having it tipped a full inch definitely helped. I have a pro white 80TX coming to put in. The rogue sz is so easy to launch, I don't see having any issues launching this club with a heavier lower launch and lower spin shaft. I played and still have the kuro kage XT 70 in one of my drivers. Very similar to the XTS, but both are great shafts.

Couldn't agree more -- with how easy the SZ is to launch, I could definitely see playing a low-launch, low-spin shaft like the pro white.

Driver: TSi3 8.0  - Tensei AV Raw White - 65TX
Fairway: SIM 15 - Tensei Pro White - 70TX
Hybrid: Titleist 818 H1 - Tensei Pro White - 100TX
4-P: Titleist T100-S (bent 2 degrees weak) - PX 7.0
Wedges: Vokey SM8 raw 51F, 55F, and 59 low-bounce K - DG TI S400 
Putter: Byron Morgan 615
Ball: Pro V1x

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played league today with my SZ. I’ve moved up a tee box for league so I can concentrate more on having fun and drinking beer. This means that I’m teeing off with the sz 90% of the time.

Hands down best fairway I’ve ever owned. From the tee or the turf, it’s just so easy to hit.

Titleist TSI3 9*

Titleist TSI2 15*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TSI3 20*(21) hybrid

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-pw

Vokey 52/08f

Vokey 58/12D

Scotty Cameron futura 5.5m

Played league today with my SZ. I've moved up a tee box for league so I can concentrate more on having fun and drinking beer. This means that I'm teeing off with the sz 90% of the time.

Hands down best fairway I've ever owned. From the tee or the turf, it's just so easy to hit.

Like hearing this, especially playing the same shaft. I get to test it out on course today, can't wait.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
Mavrik Pro 6-G Elevate 105
MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

Bought one of these on the GOROGUE promo from callaway, so I was only in for $50 on a brand new SZ after my trades. Immediately had it re-shafted with an Ozik XCON 7 (my go to fairway shaft), and the thing is just a cannon. I use a fairway wood mostly for tee shots, very rarely on second shots on par-5's, and the thing is point and shoot. I like shallow faced woods, and the SZ looks perfect from address and feels great, very confidence inspiring. Doesn't feel to me like the SZ is too-low spin at all, I could have gone with the standard version and been fine with it.

Played league today with my SZ. I've moved up a tee box for league so I can concentrate more on having fun and drinking beer. This means that I'm teeing off with the sz 90% of the time.

Hands down best fairway I've ever owned. From the tee or the turf, it's just so easy to hit.

I got mine out today for the first go, like it very much. Head shape is better than Epic SZ, feels better, seems more forgiving. Very easy off the deck.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70

MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

I got mine out today for the first go, like it very much. Head shape is better than Epic SZ, feels better, seems more forgiving. Very easy off the deck.

If possible, could you post a picture of the faces of both side by side. I do appreciate some face depth in 3w but I think the SZ just gets by

Interesting how they went deeper face in the standard rogue model. Usually the low spin/players model is the deeper one for most brands.

Is anyone getting any fairways that looked closed at all? I usually stay with adjustable fw’s for that reason. I know these are mostly set square to slightly open but as a lefty I’ll have to order and hope for the best.

Callaway epic flash subzero 9* ad-iz 6
Callaway epic flash subzero 15* ad-iz 7
Callaway apex ‘19 hybrid 20* ad-di 95
2018 X-forged 4-W c-taper lite
Callaway MD4 50*, 54*/60* (raw) DG s200
Odyssey stroke lab 7s

That’s what I was hoping. I love the flat lie angle as well. I think it’s gonna be subzero 5 wood for me, only concern is it being too close in distance to my epic sz 3w (which I love as much as the rogue sz driver).

Callaway epic flash subzero 9* ad-iz 6
Callaway epic flash subzero 15* ad-iz 7
Callaway apex ‘19 hybrid 20* ad-di 95
2018 X-forged 4-W c-taper lite
Callaway MD4 50*, 54*/60* (raw) DG s200
Odyssey stroke lab 7s

If possible, could you post a picture of the faces of both side by side. I do appreciate some face depth in 3w but I think the SZ just gets by

Interesting how they went deeper face in the standard rogue model. Usually the low spin/players model is the deeper one for most brands.

very little in it as far as face depth between Rogue SZ and Epic SZ. If anything the Rogue appears ever so slightly deeper towards the the toe, but really not much difference.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70

MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

I have a SZ 3w and 5w with standard length and the even flow blue 79g xstiff shaft in both. I noticed that the 3w has a 12g weight and the 5w has a 2g weight. This does not seem right to me. Can anyone comment based on what they have?

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Blue 6X Tour Spec
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 13.5 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18.0 Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Titleist T100 4-PW Project X 6.5
Titleist Vokey Raw SM8 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T with Black Onyx Tour Issue S400
Bettinardi Studio Stock Series 28 34.5"

I have a SZ 3w and 5w with standard length and the even flow blue 79g xstiff shaft in both. I noticed that the 3w has a 12g weight and the 5w has a 2g weight. This does not seem right to me. Can anyone comment based on what they have?

Pretty big difference. I don’t like having too much weight in front only based ports. Lowers spin almost too much

Only thing could be it was a light 3w head and a heavier 5w head to begin with...

I have a 2g weight in my 5 wood as well. My shaft is in the mid 70's range too.

I was told (think it is a few pages back) that Callaway wants the clubhead to play D3, so they will change the weight to whatever shaft you get. I got a heavier 70 gram stock shaft, so they put a 2 gram weight. I wasn't too thrilled, as it says on the website the sz has a 5 gram weight. I was used to the 5 gram weight in front cause I was playing the M2 tour fairway previously.

They are sending me some weights, 5g ones

I have a freshly redone Epic SZ 3w with a Pro Orange in it, and the damn thing is sitting in the corner....

This club is the real deal. I can't believe how much better it feels than the Epic, almost like forged vs. cast, more forgiving, longer.

I almost hope I have an issue with it this year so I have an excuse to put the Orange in it, but I am not changing anything right now.

Damn!

I did pull the 2g factory weight and put in a 7g weight, seems perfect with a CB shaft.

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Smoke 70
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70

MD5 52-56
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

I have a freshly redone Epic SZ 3w with a Pro Orange in it, and the damn thing is sitting in the corner....

This club is the real deal. I can't believe how much better it feels than the Epic, almost like forged vs. cast, more forgiving, longer.

I almost hope I have an issue with it this year so I have an excuse to put the Orange in it, but I am not changing anything right now.

Damn!

I did pull the 2g factory weight and put in a 7g weight, seems perfect with a CB shaft.

Warrick, you were the final deciding positive review I could handle. Especially considering you benched an all time fave of yours. I feel that way about my XR 3Deep - Tour AD TP 8X, and I will not get rid of it. But the Rogue SZ is the real deal, it must at least be tried.

Ordered a 13.5. Will be putting in a darling shaft of mine that I always felt would be great in a strong 3w = Matrix Speed Rulz Type C Prototype 70X.

Probably will be a candidate to rotate in when I want to carry 5w. This thing sounds like a nuke and will create that separation between 3w and 5w needed to make it worthwhile.

Happy to join team rsz fairway

Damn!

Thanks for your thought Warrick. I already have one on order (I had ordered a Rogue SZ 4 wood with my local shop last month, only to learn they don't make it in that loft), so I only needed to ring them up and tell them which club and loft I am going with. I think I will spring for the 3+, and possibly add a regular 4 or SZ 5 wood later on.

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

I'm leaning towards going away from the even flow black. It is a good shaft, but I feel that if you step on it or have an aggressive transition, it isn't quite as tight. Anyone else go away from the even flow shaft?

I have the EF Blue 75 6.5 (tipped 1 inch) in my SZ and love it. My swing speed is around 116, and I'm coming from a 917 f2 with a Kuro kage XTS 80TX. It's definitely a mid-launch, mid-spin shaft, but when coupled with how low spin the SZ head is, I've been getting great numbers. I was worried that it would feel loose in transition, but I haven't gotten that impression at all, and I'm hitting more fairways.

6.5 in a fairway wood? This thread is discussing the 3-5 woods... not the driver.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

For anyone keeping up with the Evenflow Black backorder......

Informed today that Cally is "struggling" to get these in....should get an allotment later this week.

Ordered 3/5/18. Latest estimated ship date is "sometime early next week".

they said my black would ship April 2nd and the gal gave me a $120 credit since I ordered on 2/21. I didn't even ask for the credit!

Mine shipped 3/29.

My label was created 3/29 as well but it didn't ship until today with overnight shipping. Good customer service from Callaway

Thought I might share my findings after a recent Callaway fitting at my club over here in the UK.

Recently changed my G400 driver for the Rogue (non SZ that I also tried) and was delighted with how much better it was than last years Epic/Epic SZ. I had both Epic driver's and in truth never got on with either with a number of different shafts. So given the Rogue driver was so good I had to check out the new Rogue and SZ fairways as I was not hitting my Epic SZ 15 and 18 so well and, normally, my fairways are a strong suit of my game.

After a chat with the Callaway fitter we decided to record some Trackman data for my current Epic SZ 5 wood first. I tried this with both shafts I have - Aldila Rogue Max 75 stiff and AD-DI Tour 7 stiff - to gauge where they were at. Have to say that I didn't hit it that well as struggled as I have of late to get decent results overall....but distance wise the better strikes averaged 223 yards which is about where I'd expect with range balls off a tee/mats.

We switched to the Rogue SZ 18 degree 5 wood with PX Evenflow Blue 75 5.5 next. Straight away I preferred the look of the Rogue SZ as it seems a really balance on face angle (a shade open) and just the right depth front to back - where it is deeper than the Epic but still a similar cc. Straight away it was clear this combo was in another league. Ball speed jumped up by 6-8mph, launch was up and distance was an easy 235 yards average. So easy to hit, launch and control. Also tried a Rogue (non SZ) 4 wood but straight away didn't care for the slightly closed face angle and shape of the head compared to the Rogue SZ.

For me the jailbreak technology (missing of course in the Epic FW + Hybrid) really does work from a forgiveness and ball speed point of view. Swapped into an Evenflow Blue 6.0 (we don't get the Black over here from Callaway) and that combo was spot on. Same forgiveness but the 5 wood (18) was up to 238 yards average (best was 244) and the stiffer flex improved the dispersion a little too.

Thing is at 235-240 for a 5 wood that presents me with an issue. I mainly use my Epic SZ 15 degree 3 wood off the tee on certain holes at my home club and only use the 5 wood off the deck on the longer holes as a FW wood. But my current 3 wood is, at most, 235-240 yards so could be that the Rogue 5 wood could be my only FW needed....

I'm tempted to just order both a 13.5 or 15.0 degree Rogue SZ 3 wood alongside the 5 wood 18.0 degree just in case I do want the option off the tee if the driver misbehaves or for using on tighter holes in the summer when it runs out better than a driver does. Would feel restricted with just one FW in the bag and don't really have a gap anywhere else in the set up (aside from, perhaps a 4 iron hybrid but I'm 50/50 on that) to add another club. I'm also quite pleased the Rogue SZ is a glued head as it might stop me tinkering with other shafts ( :pimp: ) and just stick to the PX Evenflow 75 Blue that seems a good fit for me in the fairways.

Overall very impressed with the Rogue SZ fairways and can't wait to get mine soon.

Driver TBC
3 Wood TBC
5 Wood TBC
Hybrid TBC
Ping i210 5-PW irons/True Temper Dynamic Golf S300 120 Stiff

Ping Glide 2 Stealth 50 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

Ping Glide 2 Stealth 54 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2 Stealth 58 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

Evnroll ER5B Hatchback Black 34” putter with Gravity 1.0 grip
Taylormade TP5/Titleist Pro V1 ball

Thought I might share my findings after a recent Callaway fitting at my club over here in the UK.

Recently changed my G400 driver for the Rogue (non SZ that I also tried) and was delighted with how much better it was than last years Epic/Epic SZ. I had both Epic driver's and in truth never got on with either with a number of different shafts. So given the Rogue driver was so good I had to check out the new Rogue and SZ fairways as I was not hitting my Epic SZ 15 and 18 so well and, normally, my fairways are a strong suit of my game.

After a chat with the Callaway fitter we decided to record some Trackman data for my current Epic SZ 5 wood first. I tried this with both shafts I have - Aldila Rogue Max 75 stiff and AD-DI Tour 7 stiff - to gauge where they were at. Have to say that I didn't hit it that well as struggled as I have of late to get decent results overall....but distance wise the better strikes averaged 223 yards which is about where I'd expect with range balls off a tee/mats.

We switched to the Rogue SZ 18 degree 5 wood with PX Evenflow Blue 75 5.5 next. Straight away I preferred the look of the Rogue SZ as it seems a really balance on face angle (a shade open) and just the right depth front to back - where it is deeper than the Epic but still a similar cc. Straight away it was clear this combo was in another league. Ball speed jumped up by 6-8mph, launch was up and distance was an easy 235 yards average. So easy to hit, launch and control. Also tried a Rogue (non SZ) 4 wood but straight away didn't care for the slightly closed face angle and shape of the head compared to the Rogue SZ.

For me the jailbreak technology (missing of course in the Epic FW + Hybrid) really does work from a forgiveness and ball speed point of view. Swapped into an Evenflow Blue 6.0 (we don't get the Black over here from Callaway) and that combo was spot on. Same forgiveness but the 5 wood (18) was up to 238 yards average (best was 244) and the stiffer flex improved the dispersion a little too.

Thing is at 235-240 for a 5 wood that presents me with an issue. I mainly use my Epic SZ 15 degree 3 wood off the tee on certain holes at my home club and only use the 5 wood off the deck on the longer holes as a FW wood. But my current 3 wood is, at most, 235-240 yards so could be that the Rogue 5 wood could be my only FW needed....

I'm tempted to just order both a 13.5 or 15.0 degree Rogue SZ 3 wood alongside the 5 wood 18.0 degree just in case I do want the option off the tee if the driver misbehaves or for using on tighter holes in the summer when it runs out better than a driver does. Would feel restricted with just one FW in the bag and don't really have a gap anywhere else in the set up (aside from, perhaps a 4 iron hybrid but I'm 50/50 on that) to add another club. I'm also quite pleased the Rogue SZ is a glued head as it might stop me tinkering with other shafts ( :pimp: ) and just stick to the PX Evenflow 75 Blue that seems a good fit for me in the fairways.

Overall very impressed with the Rogue SZ fairways and can't wait to get mine soon.

You might be the English version of myself. The Rogue 5w was so long for me (240y range) that I ordered the Rogue 13.5 3W to replace my current Epic 15* 3w that I use off of the tee.

Went today with full intentions on getting the cobra f8+ 3 wood. I have tried many woods in the last couple months and felt like this was the best choice for me. Only hesitation I had was my miss hits were not great with it. After trying a couple other woods the fitter said I want you to try something. He came back with a club and said don't look at it just hit it. Took me about 3 shots to get used to it and then I got the hang of it. 5 shots in a row and I have gained 15 yards on good hits and on shots I felt I missed were on par with the best shots I hit with the cobra f8+. Nothing against cobra cause I am a big fan. I knew I was leaving with this club no matter what I had to do. Rogue sub zero 15 degree with evenflow 6.5 75g. Felt like nothing I have hit before. Reason for gain was spin and ball speed. My average ball speed jumped 3-5 mph and spin dropped about 500-1000. I would say it was a combination of head and the shaft. I am used to the hzrdus black in my driver and the evenflow feels very similar to me. If you guys have not tried this thing do it. I am not a callaway fan at all but this club changed my mind. Just for the record I have never tried the epic stuff