Rogue Subzero Fairway wood

Thought I might share my findings after a recent Callaway fitting at my club over here in the UK.

Recently changed my G400 driver for the Rogue (non SZ that I also tried) and was delighted with how much better it was than last years Epic/Epic SZ. I had both Epic driver's and in truth never got on with either with a number of different shafts. So given the Rogue driver was so good I had to check out the new Rogue and SZ fairways as I was not hitting my Epic SZ 15 and 18 so well and, normally, my fairways are a strong suit of my game.

After a chat with the Callaway fitter we decided to record some Trackman data for my current Epic SZ 5 wood first. I tried this with both shafts I have - Aldila Rogue Max 75 stiff and AD-DI Tour 7 stiff - to gauge where they were at. Have to say that I didn't hit it that well as struggled as I have of late to get decent results overall....but distance wise the better strikes averaged 223 yards which is about where I'd expect with range balls off a tee/mats.

We switched to the Rogue SZ 18 degree 5 wood with PX Evenflow Blue 75 5.5 next. Straight away I preferred the look of the Rogue SZ as it seems a really balance on face angle (a shade open) and just the right depth front to back - where it is deeper than the Epic but still a similar cc. Straight away it was clear this combo was in another league. Ball speed jumped up by 6-8mph, launch was up and distance was an easy 235 yards average. So easy to hit, launch and control. Also tried a Rogue (non SZ) 4 wood but straight away didn't care for the slightly closed face angle and shape of the head compared to the Rogue SZ.

For me the jailbreak technology (missing of course in the Epic FW + Hybrid) really does work from a forgiveness and ball speed point of view. Swapped into an Evenflow Blue 6.0 (we don't get the Black over here from Callaway) and that combo was spot on. Same forgiveness but the 5 wood (18) was up to 238 yards average (best was 244) and the stiffer flex improved the dispersion a little too.

Thing is at 235-240 for a 5 wood that presents me with an issue. I mainly use my Epic SZ 15 degree 3 wood off the tee on certain holes at my home club and only use the 5 wood off the deck on the longer holes as a FW wood. But my current 3 wood is, at most, 235-240 yards so could be that the Rogue 5 wood could be my only FW needed....

I'm tempted to just order both a 13.5 or 15.0 degree Rogue SZ 3 wood alongside the 5 wood 18.0 degree just in case I do want the option off the tee if the driver misbehaves or for using on tighter holes in the summer when it runs out better than a driver does. Would feel restricted with just one FW in the bag and don't really have a gap anywhere else in the set up (aside from, perhaps a 4 iron hybrid but I'm 50/50 on that) to add another club. I'm also quite pleased the Rogue SZ is a glued head as it might stop me tinkering with other shafts ( :pimp: ) and just stick to the PX Evenflow 75 Blue that seems a good fit for me in the fairways.

Overall very impressed with the Rogue SZ fairways and can't wait to get mine soon.

You might be the English version of myself. The Rogue 5w was so long for me (240y range) that I ordered the Rogue 13.5 3W to replace my current Epic 15* 3w that I use off of the tee.

Great minds think alike my friend!

Driver TBC
3 Wood TBC
5 Wood TBC
Hybrid TBC
Ping i210 5-PW irons/True Temper Dynamic Golf S300 120 Stiff

Ping Glide 2 Stealth 50 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

Ping Glide 2 Stealth 54 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2 Stealth 58 degree S Grind/Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

Evnroll ER5B Hatchback Black 34” putter with Gravity 1.0 grip
Taylormade TP5/Titleist Pro V1 ball

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went away from the px even flow black. It is a good shaft, but just not for me. I went with tensei pro white 80TX and so far I like what I see. The rogue sz launches the ball so easily, even a lower launch/low spin shaft works fine.

How was the pro white with the SZ head?

Callaway Epic Speed 9 Deg VTS Silver 65X Driver

TaylorMade M6 Rocket VTS Silver 75X Fairway Wood

Callaway XR Pro #2 VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

MizunoJPX921 Hot Metal Pro #4 TI DG S400 Iron

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 58D TI DG S400 Wedges

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Satin 62 (@63) TI DG Spinner Wedge 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

TaylorMade TP5

Seriously thinking of just ordering a rogue subzero 13.5 to be my driver for 2018.

Just to experiment, I played 18 yesterday without a driver and hit my standard Rogue 3+ where I'd normally hit driver. Mercy, now I see why Stenson does what he does. Nice to know that continuing to do that around my home track is an option.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I went away from the px even flow black. It is a good shaft, but just not for me. I went with tensei pro white 80TX and so far I like what I see. The rogue sz launches the ball so easily, even a lower launch/low spin shaft works fine.

How was the pro white with the SZ head?

I'm still in early testing, but did enough I can't see me going back to the even flow black. I did not see any shots that were low balls, even balls hit a little thin. This is what I've seen with the rogue sz even when I tested it with the even flow blue and black.

The pro white felt a little more stable then the even flow and the extra weight probably helped (even flow 75 vs pro white 80). I also tipped the pro white quite a bit and it still launched effortlessly. The biggest difference is I would lose some shots a little too high and right with the even flow black, while so far this hasn't been the case with the pro white. They stayed lower and went less right. Dispersion was overall tighter with the pro white.

Seriously thinking of just ordering a rogue subzero 13.5 to be my driver for 2018.

Just to experiment, I played 18 yesterday without a driver and hit my standard Rogue 3+ where I'd normally hit driver. Mercy, now I see why Stenson does what he does. Nice to know that continuing to do that around my home track is an option.

Did you try the subzero against the standard? Just curious. I want a 13.5, but can't decide which to buy. Somewhere to fit is over an hour away. Was it better than driver? Accuracy, distance, confidence? Etc...

I did and found both to be plenty low spin, just like the way the standard one looks behind the ball a bit better. Purely a personal preference thing. I did have an SZ 5 wood that was also a wonderful club, but I found the XR Pro 18* hybrid that I have to be a bit more versatile.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Talk about glowing reviews....this is the thread.

Resistance was futile so I used up some credit from the great guys at Dallas Golf. I went with the SZ 13 degree with HZD yellow shaft stiff. It will be replacing my Titleist. This is really a no lose proposition. When my swing struggles, driver is the club that gets me back on the rails. If I am hitting it well, all I have to do is pull a 3 wood and 50% of my shots will be crap. I have never had one yet that I trusted to swing well under pressure. So, at least expectations are low and if it ends up half as good for me as most posters on this thread it will be a win.

I may as well replace my sig. Bag set for the season cause I can't hit this one less consistently than any of the rest :-)

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon 545 5i with Recoil 110 F4

Srixon Z945 6- I PW with Recoil 110 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

Resistance was futile so I used up some credit from the great guys at Dallas Golf. I went with the SZ 13 degree with HZD yellow shaft stiff. It will be replacing my Titleist. This is really a no lose proposition. When my swing struggles, driver is the club that gets me back on the rails. If I am hitting it well, all I have to do is pull a 3 wood and 50% of my shots will be crap. I have never had one yet that I trusted to swing well under pressure. So, at least expectations are low and if it ends up half as good for me as most posters on this thread it will be a win.

I may as well replace my sig. Bag set for the season cause I can't hit this one less consistently than any of the rest :-)

I blind ordered too mate. I love my XR 3Deep, this has similar specs in a slightly sleeker profile. Should be an easy transition

This club has some of the most positive fairway reviews in recent memory and is a clear leader in ball speed. Gimme some speed :)

Anyone playing this with the IZ shaft? How is the launch and spin? Wondering if I should get the SZ or reg Rogue....I need help with launch off the turf.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 5s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 7s
Titleist H1 3H & 5H GDDI 85s
Srixon 565/765 5-AW N.S. Pro Modus 105s
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M N.S.Pro Modus Wedge 115
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 33" Putter Pistol Grip
Chrome Soft X

Iomic X-Evolution Grips

Anyone compare this bad boy to the TEE CBX?

Hit the CBX with a different shaft than the rogue. The CBX is long and slightly lower spin no doubt, but mishits were more punished than the rogue. I just felt the rogue was the best overall at having clean looks, forgiving, and still hitting the ball a long way.

Thanks for the input! Which Rogue head/loft did you base the comparison off of?

Well pulled the trigger on the $25 demo deal from globalgolf. I have the 13.5 regular head rouge with stiff EF on the way. Going to be playing a bunch in the next 2 weeks so hopefully I will want to keep it.

I did the global golf u try with the rogue driver. System works out well. I think I am going to demo the Rogue 17* and SZ 18* through them.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 5s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 7s
Titleist H1 3H & 5H GDDI 85s
Srixon 565/765 5-AW N.S. Pro Modus 105s
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M N.S.Pro Modus Wedge 115
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 33" Putter Pistol Grip
Chrome Soft X

Iomic X-Evolution Grips

I don't know if I should go 13.5 or 15. I have a Cobra F8 5/6 that I'll play around 16.5/17.

So I'm thinking 13.5, it would be used off the tee mainly. Still don't know if I should go 15 or 13.5.

Gonna go with the AD IZ 7x. I'm confused, send help!

If you get the 15* then the Cobra 16.5/17 is probably not necessary....or get the 13.5* and keep then Cobra especially if the 13.5* is mostly for the tee.

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9*, Accra TZ6/M5 72g X
CALLAWAY Mavrik Sub Zero 3 Wood, 15*, Accra TZ6/M5 80g X
CALLAWAY Super Hybrid, 18*, NS Pro Modus Hybrid GOST 102g X
TAYLORMADE SIM2 RESCUE, 22*, Diamana Thump 105g X
TAYLORMADE P790 - 4, 5, 6, PX IO 6.5
CALLAWAY APEX 21 TOUR CB, 4 - GW, PX IO/LS 6.5

CALLAWAY APEX 21 MB, 7 - GW, PX LS 6.5

CALLAWAY JAWS Forged Wedges, Chrome, 55/11C; 60/10C; PX LS 6.5

VOKEY SM8 "BIRDIE BOB" CUSTOM BRUSHED STEEL, 52/9F, DG TI x100; 58/8M, DG TI s400 ONYX 
TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold

Anyone compare this bad boy to the TEE CBX?

Hit the CBX with a different shaft than the rogue. The CBX is long and slightly lower spin no doubt, but mishits were more punished than the rogue. I just felt the rogue was the best overall at having clean looks, forgiving, and still hitting the ball a long way.

Thanks for the input! Which Rogue head/loft did you base the comparison off of?

I tried the regular rogue, rogue sz, and TE CBX all in 15 degree models. If I remember correctly the CBX had the hzrdus black 6.5 shaft. Both rogue models had the even flow blue shafts. So even just based on the shaft, the CBX should be lower spin as that is a lower launch and lower spin shaft in the CBX.

If there was one sort of negative I could give it is keeping the ball low. I haven't tried a lot, but shots that normally would launch lower (thin for example) seem to still be mid height for me. I even just put in a low launch/low spin and heavier shaft and the sz still gets up easily.

I have a SZ 3w and 5w with standard length and the even flow blue 79g xstiff shaft in both. I noticed that the 3w has a 12g weight and the 5w has a 2g weight. This does not seem right to me. Can anyone comment based on what they have?

My 15* SZ came from Cally with a 2g weight (rather than the 5g that Cally notes as standard on the web site), and I bought a 5g weight aftermarket. Trying to figure out how to bring down the launch, but otherwise love the feel and workability of the club.

Wish callaway would do a 3deep with jailbreak or even better a rogue mini driver.

Wouldn't shock me it that's in the pipeline.

From what I've been told, both the Deep Models AND Mini Drivers have been retired.

.... With that said, I would love a Rogue Mini Driver (BONDED of course), with Jailbreak and 11-12° of loft!

Callaway Speed 9° Velcore Blue 6X
Callaway Apex 2H Speeder 904X
Callaway Apex 4H Speeder 904X
Miura CB301 4-5 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura CB1008 6-9 iCWT Proto 105X
 Miura HG 4606 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HG 5210 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HG 5810 iCWT Proto 105X
Miura HB 6416 iCWT Proto 105X
Garage Palm Beach Stability 1.0X

Wish callaway would do a 3deep with jailbreak or even better a rogue mini driver.

And add adjustability to it too...

beauty of the deep models was partially the no adjustability. glued hosels ftw

Holding on to my xr 3deep even with a brand new sz 3+. Club is too great to ever let go

Same here. I have a tour issue x hot 3 deep that I won’t sell.

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master

OP here, I may be the exception but loved the standard rogue 15 degree over the SZ 15 degree. I have a Tensei Pro White 70 being installed as we speak. Can't wait for its maiden voyage.

Callaway Epic Speed 9 Deg VTS Silver 65X Driver

TaylorMade M6 Rocket VTS Silver 75X Fairway Wood

Callaway XR Pro #2 VTS Silver 85X Hybrid

MizunoJPX921 Hot Metal Pro #4 TI DG S400 Iron

Mizuno MP20 MB 5-PW TI DG S400 Irons

Vokey SM8 Raw 52F, 58D TI DG S400 Wedges

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Satin 62 (@63) TI DG Spinner Wedge 

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock Putter LAGOLF Shaft Putter

Vessel 2.0 White

TaylorMade TP5

Wouldn't shock me it that's in the pipeline.

From what I've been told, both the Deep Models AND Mini Drivers have been retired.

.... With that said, I would love a Rogue Mini Driver (BONDED of course), with Jailbreak and 11-12° of loft!

That would be amazing. Bonded rougue with 12 degrees, jailbreak, and the size and setup of the aeroburner mini.