Rogue Subzero Fairway wood

odshot68

Wish callaway would do a 3deep with jailbreak or even better a rogue mini driver.

Wouldn't shock me it that's in the pipeline.

From what I've been told, both the Deep Models AND Mini Drivers have been retired.

.... With that said, I would love a Rogue Mini Driver (BONDED of course), with Jailbreak and 11-12° of loft!

That would be amazing. Bonded rougue with 12 degrees, jailbreak, and the size and setup of the aeroburner mini.

We are only going to be able to dream!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I could tell there was promise with the Rogue SZ fwy head, but the shaft it came with just didn't suit me. I originally got the Synergy 60 stiff and I was inconsistent with it. I had a Diamana X limited edition 70 stiff shaft sitting in my office, so I had it put into the SZ head, and immediately noticed an improvement in the dispersion. Not sure if it was a shaft weight issue, or the bend profile, but either way, this has had a dramatic difference. I have been trying to decide between the Rogue SZ fwy and the F8, and I think I am going to put the SZ in the bag to start the season (weather still stinks here in Indy). Trhode hot melted the head for me to get the swing weight up to D2, and now it has that hotmelt feel and sound which I prefer. I will report back, once I get a few more chances to put it in play, but I am more excited about it now.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

Finally got a chance to hit mine today at the outdoor grass range at my club. First time touching my clubs since September.

LH Rogue SZ 15 degree with 6.0 Evenflow Blue shaft. Took the plastic off the head and took a few practice swings. Nice swing weight and overall flow.

Then I proceeded to hit the first three thin. Sliced the next two about 220. Had lots of negative impressions starting to rush into my mind. Shaft was probably an issue. This head was not easy to launch off the fairway. I should have bought the non SZ 3 wood. Didn’t like the feel because I wasn’t hitting it square. Blah blah blah. Needed to do something before I lost all confidence in the club and have nothing but an inventory of bad swing thoughts with it. Remember, golf is 80% mental and the rest is in your head.

I’m coming from a Epic SZ 3w with Aldila I/O stiff shaft. I hit it 270 off the box and somewhere around 250-255 off the fairway.

So I put it down and went back to hitting some irons. Pulled out my new Rogue SZ driver. Hit several drives. Changing the settings after every three drives or so. Settled on 9* standard draw. Hit three really nice drives. Put it back in the bag and grabbed that dang 3w again.

This time I decided to use a tee and work my way down to the ground. First drive (on the range) pipped one down the middle about 270.

Immediately threw down a ball. Found the position the ball should be in and hit one straight down the middle about 250. Put another ball down and hit a slight draw, again about 250 or so. Felt great and worked great. I like this club and the driver and the hybrid.

My driver has the 6.0 Evenflow Black while my 3w and 19* Rogue hybrid has the 6.0 Evenflow Blue shafts.

So maybe it is the Indian and not the arrow....lol

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Tensei 60TX
3 wood: Ping G425 14.5* Tour 75X
Hybrid: Ping G430 19* Kaili 85X
Utility: Srixon ZX 4-21.5* Project X LZ 6.5
Irons: Srixon ZX7 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Gap Wedge: Srixon ZX7 PW bent to 50*
Sand & Lob Wedges: Vokey SM8s - 54/12 D, 58/10 M
Putter: 2014 Scotty Cameron Fastback 20 gram weights

Ball: Titleist Pro VIx Left Dash

I have been able to get it out on the course a few more times, and I am really liking this 3 wood. I am able to hit it off the tee and off the turf. Getting the right shaft was obviously critical to the performance, but I am now really enjoying putting it in play. I find myself wanting to play it off the tee whenever I can. It is about 15 yards shorter than my driver, which is a perfect gap.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

For those that have the 13.5, do you hit it off the turf? I am debating getting another one of these due to hitting the 15 deg at a recent demo day. The hzrdus yellow in 6.5 was producing some amazing shots....but they did not have a 13.5 demo to try. I hit the regular version like crap and piped the sz like everytime. If you have the 13.5 I'd like some feedback!

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

I have been pleasantly surprised by the HZRDUS yellow. I knew I was going to have my Pro Orange installed immediately, but have not found a justification as of yet, just hitting it too good to make a change. I almost want that "bad day" to come around, hate looking at that shaft sitting in the corner.

I played the Epic SZ in 13.5, and hit this just as far. I am not sure what I would do with a 13.5 in the Rogue.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

For those that have the 13.5, do you hit it off the turf? I am debating getting another one of these due to hitting the 15 deg at a recent demo day. The hzrdus yellow in 6.5 was producing some amazing shots....but they did not have a 13.5 demo to try. I hit the regular version like crap and piped the sz like everytime. If you have the 13.5 I'd like some feedback!

I have the 13.5 Subzero and I have no problem hitting it off of the turf. I wasn't planning on doing that but the results have been a pleasant surprise. I have a Fujikura Pro Green 72x in it.

• 2 weeks later...

Score one for the 5 wood today. 273y to 15 feet. Now if I could only make an eagle putt this year.

Guess I should mention it was a touch downwind and 25y of downhill help. Details, details.

LOL. That's probably about the same as me. I did a fitting and hit the 18º SZ 5W 235 yds (carry and 245 total) without really striking it very well.

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

Just to chime in on the Rogue SZ 5 fw.....very, very long...not sure I need my RogueSZ 13.5!

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I am a small guy, but hit it well for my size.

I reached a 534yd par 5 in 2 today. It is basically a flat hole, and was only about 10 mph down, so was very surprised to find it on the very front edge 15ft from the cup, was 264 out.

So, I hit the tee ball 270, and the 3w 260 off the deck. I was not sure what to say.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

my sub zero 3w with a graphite design ad iz is an animal

easy off the tee, easy off the deck.

Same shaft I will be getting in the Rogue 4 wood...Driver 10.5, 17* 4 wood, 21 degree Hybrid, 25 degree hybrid, 5i.....

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Played the first round with mine yesterday. My take, the lie angle is a little flat for me(6'4"), but the thing performs. Really easy to get up in the air and goes for miles. The one thing that will take some time getting used is the sound. It sounds like I'm hitting the ball with a wooden club. My playing partner said it sounds like s*** goes like stink, which I thought was very fitting. Overall very pleased with the purchase based on performance and appearance and highly recommend for those considering trying, but expect a sound like something you have never heard.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 6 X
TaylorMade SIM2 15* & 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue VeloCore 7 & 8 X

Srixon ZX7 4-AW Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX

Mizuno T20 Raw 57/11@56 & 61/07@60 Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 105 TX

Evnroll ER 2.2 MidBlade Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept 135
Titleist Pro V1x #13

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to love the SZ, just couldnt get the launch out of it I needed. Swapped in for the regular, now I am killing it.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

Thought I might share my findings after a recent Callaway fitting at my club over here in the UK.

Recently changed my G400 driver for the Rogue (non SZ that I also tried) and was delighted with how much better it was than last years Epic/Epic SZ. I had both Epic driver's and in truth never got on with either with a number of different shafts. So given the Rogue driver was so good I had to check out the new Rogue and SZ fairways as I was not hitting my Epic SZ 15 and 18 so well and, normally, my fairways are a strong suit of my game.

After a chat with the Callaway fitter we decided to record some Trackman data for my current Epic SZ 5 wood first. I tried this with both shafts I have - Aldila Rogue Max 75 stiff and AD-DI Tour 7 stiff - to gauge where they were at. Have to say that I didn't hit it that well as struggled as I have of late to get decent results overall....but distance wise the better strikes averaged 223 yards which is about where I'd expect with range balls off a tee/mats.

We switched to the Rogue SZ 18 degree 5 wood with PX Evenflow Blue 75 5.5 next. Straight away I preferred the look of the Rogue SZ as it seems a really balance on face angle (a shade open) and just the right depth front to back - where it is deeper than the Epic but still a similar cc. Straight away it was clear this combo was in another league. Ball speed jumped up by 6-8mph, launch was up and distance was an easy 235 yards average. So easy to hit, launch and control. Also tried a Rogue (non SZ) 4 wood but straight away didn't care for the slightly closed face angle and shape of the head compared to the Rogue SZ.

For me the jailbreak technology (missing of course in the Epic FW + Hybrid) really does work from a forgiveness and ball speed point of view. Swapped into an Evenflow Blue 6.0 (we don't get the Black over here from Callaway) and that combo was spot on. Same forgiveness but the 5 wood (18) was up to 238 yards average (best was 244) and the stiffer flex improved the dispersion a little too.

Thing is at 235-240 for a 5 wood that presents me with an issue. I mainly use my Epic SZ 15 degree 3 wood off the tee on certain holes at my home club and only use the 5 wood off the deck on the longer holes as a FW wood. But my current 3 wood is, at most, 235-240 yards so could be that the Rogue 5 wood could be my only FW needed....

I'm tempted to just order both a 13.5 or 15.0 degree Rogue SZ 3 wood alongside the 5 wood 18.0 degree just in case I do want the option off the tee if the driver misbehaves or for using on tighter holes in the summer when it runs out better than a driver does. Would feel restricted with just one FW in the bag and don't really have a gap anywhere else in the set up (aside from, perhaps a 4 iron hybrid but I'm 50/50 on that) to add another club. I'm also quite pleased the Rogue SZ is a glued head as it might stop me tinkering with other shafts ( :pimp: ) and just stick to the PX Evenflow 75 Blue that seems a good fit for me in the fairways.

Overall very impressed with the Rogue SZ fairways and can't wait to get mine soon.

Agree the SZ 15 is the perfect single fairway to carry, but I'd gravitate to a 18 degree hybrid vs the 5 wood for accuracy and control.

I have actually had to bench mine temporarily. I think it was a brief honeymoon phase with the stock shaft, just like the PO so much better, but having an extremely difficult time finding someone I trust to swap the PO in the Rogue.

I have been gaming the Epic SZ 3+ again with the PO, loving it, shaft is just right for me, plus the Epic head looks so sweet with the matte finish from Continental.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Warrick - are you using the stock shaft?

Yes, came with the HZRDUS Yellow, 76g - 6.0

Things were great initially, but the feel is nowhere near the PO, and I just seem to hit the PO more consistent and straighter over time. I am sure I will get the shaft swapped over at some point soon, that is if I have a bad day or 2 with the Epic 3+

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I recently got a 15* after hitting in indoors on a track man. Only a few swings with it but was averaging 1.49 smash with it. Bought a new one off a college player for dirt cheap and took it to the range but it didn’t give me the same results. Didn’t realize how shallow the head was and couldn’t commit to making a good swing in fear of putting a dumby mark on it when it was tee’d up since that’s the only time I use a 3 wood. So I ended up hitting everything low on the face and couldn’t get it more than 10 yards off the ground.

Wish I would of checked the serial # first because it turns out the be a TC and I would have never took it to the range.

Aeroburner tour issue 9.5 Aldila NL60tx
Aeroburner mini 14* tour issue Aldila NL70tx
Jetspeed Proto 18* Aldila NL80tx
Adams LSP 16* Aldila Tour Green 85tx
Rsi 2. 5-PW Aldila RIP 115s
Vokey TVD SM5 M grind 50*, 54* and 60*
Ping Ketsch heavy

I have actually had to bench mine temporarily. I think it was a brief honeymoon phase with the stock shaft, just like the PO so much better, but having an extremely difficult time finding someone I trust to swap the PO in the Rogue.

I have been gaming the Epic SZ 3+ again with the PO, loving it, shaft is just right for me, plus the Epic head looks so sweet with the matte finish from Continental.

Man you were raving about the rogue sz. You gotta swap shafts and go back. Don’t play mind games with me warrick

Man you were raving about the rogue sz. You gotta swap shafts and go back. Don't play mind games with me warrick

I just need to find a person I can trust to do the swap......

I will go back

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x