TaylorMade High-Toe Wedges

97speedster

Well after my first round with my 58 degree Hi-Toe this bad boy has a spot in the bag. It checked all the boxes:

Awesome out of the sand: check

Good from variety of lies: check

Looks good: check

Feels good: check

Beat out SM7 M grind: CHECK

What is it about the Hi Toe that you found better than the SM7 M grind? Thanks!

The playability, bounce, seemed to be very flexible if that makes sense. I only play a 52 and 58 so I like my 58 to be versatile which the M grind is but just seemed more demanding. The Hi-Toe seems to fit my swing better overall.

How is it on full shots. I only play 52 / 58 also so looking for a versatile wedge and was leaning towards the volley M or D until I found this thread.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well after my first round with my 58 degree Hi-Toe this bad boy has a spot in the bag. It checked all the boxes:

Awesome out of the sand: check

Good from variety of lies: check

Looks good: check

Feels good: check

Beat out SM7 M grind: CHECK

What is it about the Hi Toe that you found better than the SM7 M grind? Thanks!

The playability, bounce, seemed to be very flexible if that makes sense. I only play a 52 and 58 so I like my 58 to be versatile which the M grind is but just seemed more demanding. The Hi-Toe seems to fit my swing better overall.

How is it on full shots. I only play 52 / 58 also so looking for a versatile wedge and was leaning towards the volley M or D until I found this thread.

I had no issues with the Hi-Toe or the M grind on full shots. I live in Texas so more often than not I'm playing on a harder surface.

Had one on order but the wait, the price, and Rick Shiels' review convinced me to cancel the order. I'll stick with my Miura / Fourteens for now,

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Had one on order but the wait, the price, and Rick Shiels' review convinced me to cancel the order. I'll stick with my Miura / Fourteens for now,

How did Rick Shiels’ review convince you not to buy it? His review was very positive.

Ping G400LST 10* Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour Spec 6.3x
Callaway Epic Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 765 Tour Spec X
Taylormade P790 UDI
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW X100 TI
Vokey SM6 50*/Nike Engage SS 55*/TM Hi-Toe 60*
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

My review of the high toe:

Picked up a 60 yesterday in store after testing vs vokey sm7 60L

Background:

Former college golfer about to turn pro. Currently bagging a raw vokey spin milled 60 with 4 degree bounce (same as the L grind but with a wider sole). Not legal so gotta make the switch. Around the greens I like to go up a lot and hit cut shot a lot. 100 yards and in is a strength in my game so wedge performance on longer shots is important to me.

Decision:

Ultimately went with the high toe due to the launch and spin rates. Felt like I could control it better while still being able to do what I want around the greens. Testing off mats so it was hard to tell exactly.

Course:

Got out to the course today and only did wedge testing. Spent a few hours hitting most shots I would hit on the course. Grass is dead so a lot of tight lies. On short pitches the high toe is crisp and solid. Sole works nice for this just enough bounce and not to much. My low bounce vokey is solid but likes to dig more. Out of tough lies the high toe is much better. The heel relief is great. Low shots are more driving and check nice. High lob shots and flops are where it falls short. To much bounce on the sole of the toe and the leading edge sits to high. Difficult to slide the club under unless you have a good amount of grass or a perfect lie. The low bounce L grind seems unbeatable here. Longer shots the high toe was on the money. Driving trajectory with great distance control and spin control.

Summery:

Only complaint is the sole and leading edge when you really try to open it up. Have to try a little to hard to flip one up. I think this is why you see pretty much every tour player with a prettty heavy hand grind vs the stock sole. Bounce on the sole seems about like the vokey M grind (8 degrees) maybe a little more. Really versatile club though and sick out of the sand. Gonna work with it the next few days.

Got my 58* Hi-Toe (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 shaft, 115g) yesterday and had a chance to chip around my apartment. Used to bag 56* (bent to 55*) and 60* PM Grinds. Initial thoughts are Hi-Toe has a bit thicker top line but looks more like a normal wedge, i.e. the toe part isn't as pronounced and the top line isn't as sharp as the PM (which makes the PM face look so triangular IMO). Leading edge is not as rounded as the PMs but the PM's leading edge does seem to sit a bit lower to the ground (i.e. less effective bounce) than Hi-Toe. While both share similar-type grinds, the Hi-Toe's ATV (similar to PING's ES grind) is inverted a bit more than PM's. Where PM's looks basically flat in the middle of the U-shaped grind, but running a finger over it you can feel a slight depression, the Hi-Toe's ATV is easily noticeable with the naked eye.

With a straighter leading edge and more normal-ish face shape (compared to the PM), I noticed I had less trouble lining up my pitches with the Hi-Toe (also could be that the straighter leading edge makes the club look like there's less "offset" or a less pronounced goose-neck-type look that the PMs have). Also having a bit thicker top line made the face feel like there was a bit more forgiveness on shots not struck directly in the sweet spot. My biggest concern with the PMs was a) full shots with them were touch and go, and b) lining up the face at address to target was hit or miss. While the PMs would basically fall open on their own when you placed the club on the ground (which made flops a breeze), the Hi-Toe doesn't open as easily which I'm happy about as I'm hoping full shots will be easier with this wedge and it will give me the ability to line up pitches with more confidence, yet still have the versatility that I loved about the PM Grinds. From what t3shope wrote, I can see how the Hi-Toe's leading edge not sitting lower may make flops and tight lies pretty tough, and it definitely makes sense how all of the tour pros have their Hi-Toes hand ground (esp. DJ's with it's ultra-straight leading edge...sexy).

Don't get me wrong, my PMs were truly get-out-of-jail-free wedges from around the green and sand, but only being able to use them with confidence from 30-40 yrds and in was tough to justify their spots in my bag (and also because trying to hit knock downs with them was difficult for me as well). We'll see how long my honeymoon period lasts with the Hi-Toe...

I see this so often about the PM but I will never understand why so many have problems hitting the PM with full swings? To me they are the easiest wedge to line up and take dead aim with in the golfing world. I play my wedges well back in my stance so I don't know if that is the key with the PM but I LOVE my 56 and 60 with full hard swings. The 56 PM excels for me from 90 to 100 and the 60 is perfect at 75. But the PM holds up well when stood on and also performs beautifully at 1/2 to 3/4. If they made it in a 52 I would own it.

I am thinking about going all TM (except putter) but I worry if the Hi Toe can stay up with the PM on full shots? I really like the looks of both!!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

Got mine, really amazing out of rough and bunkers. Rather than reshaft and rebuild since i play diff shafts, im just gonna stick to my new D grind. PM me if anyone wants the hi toe.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Got mine, really amazing out of rough and bunkers. Rather than reshaft and rebuild since i play diff shafts, im just gonna stick to my new D grind. PM me if anyone wants the hi toe.

Loft?

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

My review of the high toe:

Picked up a 60 yesterday in store after testing vs vokey sm7 60L

Background:

Former college golfer about to turn pro. Currently bagging a raw vokey spin milled 60 with 4 degree bounce (same as the L grind but with a wider sole). Not legal so gotta make the switch. Around the greens I like to go up a lot and hit cut shot a lot. 100 yards and in is a strength in my game so wedge performance on longer shots is important to me.

Decision:

Ultimately went with the high toe due to the launch and spin rates. Felt like I could control it better while still being able to do what I want around the greens. Testing off mats so it was hard to tell exactly.

Course:

Got out to the course today and only did wedge testing. Spent a few hours hitting most shots I would hit on the course. Grass is dead so a lot of tight lies. On short pitches the high toe is crisp and solid. Sole works nice for this just enough bounce and not to much. My low bounce vokey is solid but likes to dig more. Out of tough lies the high toe is much better. The heel relief is great. Low shots are more driving and check nice. High lob shots and flops are where it falls short. To much bounce on the sole of the toe and the leading edge sits to high. Difficult to slide the club under unless you have a good amount of grass or a perfect lie. The low bounce L grind seems unbeatable here. Longer shots the high toe was on the money. Driving trajectory with great distance control and spin control.

Summery:

Only complaint is the sole and leading edge when you really try to open it up. Have to try a little to hard to flip one up. I think this is why you see pretty much every tour player with a prettty heavy hand grind vs the stock sole. Bounce on the sole seems about like the vokey M grind (8 degrees) maybe a little more. Really versatile club though and sick out of the sand. Gonna work with it the next few days.

Got my 58* Hi-Toe (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 shaft, 115g) yesterday and had a chance to chip around my apartment. Used to bag 56* (bent to 55*) and 60* PM Grinds. Initial thoughts are Hi-Toe has a bit thicker top line but looks more like a normal wedge, i.e. the toe part isn't as pronounced and the top line isn't as sharp as the PM (which makes the PM face look so triangular IMO). Leading edge is not as rounded as the PMs but the PM's leading edge does seem to sit a bit lower to the ground (i.e. less effective bounce) than Hi-Toe. While both share similar-type grinds, the Hi-Toe's ATV (similar to PING's ES grind) is inverted a bit more than PM's. Where PM's looks basically flat in the middle of the U-shaped grind, but running a finger over it you can feel a slight depression, the Hi-Toe's ATV is easily noticeable with the naked eye.

With a straighter leading edge and more normal-ish face shape (compared to the PM), I noticed I had less trouble lining up my pitches with the Hi-Toe (also could be that the straighter leading edge makes the club look like there's less "offset" or a less pronounced goose-neck-type look that the PMs have). Also having a bit thicker top line made the face feel like there was a bit more forgiveness on shots not struck directly in the sweet spot. My biggest concern with the PMs was a) full shots with them were touch and go, and b) lining up the face at address to target was hit or miss. While the PMs would basically fall open on their own when you placed the club on the ground (which made flops a breeze), the Hi-Toe doesn't open as easily which I'm happy about as I'm hoping full shots will be easier with this wedge and it will give me the ability to line up pitches with more confidence, yet still have the versatility that I loved about the PM Grinds. From what t3shope wrote, I can see how the Hi-Toe's leading edge not sitting lower may make flops and tight lies pretty tough, and it definitely makes sense how all of the tour pros have their Hi-Toes hand ground (esp. DJ's with it's ultra-straight leading edge...sexy).

Don't get me wrong, my PMs were truly get-out-of-jail-free wedges from around the green and sand, but only being able to use them with confidence from 30-40 yrds and in was tough to justify their spots in my bag (and also because trying to hit knock downs with them was difficult for me as well). We'll see how long my honeymoon period lasts with the Hi-Toe...

I see this so often about the PM but I will never understand why so many have problems hitting the PM with full swings? To me they are the easiest wedge to line up and take dead aim with in the golfing world. I play my wedges well back in my stance so I don't know if that is the key with the PM but I LOVE my 56 and 60 with full hard swings. The 56 PM excels for me from 90 to 100 and the 60 is perfect at 75. But the PM holds up well when stood on and also performs beautifully at 1/2 to 3/4. If they made it in a 52 I would own it.

I am thinking about going all TM (except putter) but I worry if the Hi Toe can stay up with the PM on full shots? I really like the looks of both!!

Have to say I tried this at the range and got great results. Moved the ball slightly back in my stance and just kept a nice smooth turn going — no body stalling — as I let the club swing through and my PM 58 was great on full swings. It was highly accurate, carrying right at 100 yards and stopping and spinning in the soft range turf.

The PM leading edge does sit nice and low. I want to like the High Toe, but I mainly want this club to give me confidence off the tightest of lies. If it can do that and hit full shots, I’m happy. I like the look of the TM a little more but do not want to sacrifice tight-lie proficiency.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

tight lies with the 60* Hi-Toe is the only difficult situation I've had thus far as well... coming from a SM6 60* with little bounce, not sure the Hi-Toe is my best option.

Out of thicker rough and the bunker... this thing is money. Just not quite as versatile as I had hoped.

The guys on tour are grinding their Hi-Toe's to fit their needs.... it is a high bounce wedge so the standard retail model is going to be best out of bunkers and high rough, but can be made more versatile. For my taste, mine was ground down to enhance some features for my taste and the leading edge is also a little less rounded.

Got my HT 60 and love it! Used a PM 60 for awhile and the HT feels better and “for me” works better off tight lies.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

So back foot chips do not check like I want them too. Flops do however... I did a C grind on mine and think I will take about 3 grams more off the trailing edge...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

They're showing Rory on the range and he's hitting a Hi Toe wedge

And Justin Rose, as well.

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

I have the 64. It's not a club (nor was a 60 when I used one) that I would use often from tight lies, unless the shot required it. I prefer to keep things simple.

I had a shot today about 50 yards out, tight lie, saturated ground with a bunker in front of me and the pin was tucked in right behind it. It worked out really well.

Out of the bunkers and rough around the greens, it's really good.

I ordered mine in stock stiff on the Taylormade website after e-mailing customer service to check on the shaft.

I had planned on custom ordering but decided to go with the stock stiff (was confirmed I would received the 125g shaft) since I didn't want to wait until June.

Of course I received the 115g regular shaft, this is what I thought would happen and is why I e-mailed to double check.

I'm waiting to hear back about options but am concerned the KBS High REV 2.0 in 115g might launch too high, I do use my 60 for full'ish shots too.

I have played KBS Tour S in all my irons for the last 5 years and have never played a wedge shaft before.

Perhaps I will try the 115g shaft and it might fit me well, does anyone have any experience of playing with both?

I ordered mine in stock stiff on the Taylormade website after e-mailing customer service to check on the shaft.

I had planned on custom ordering but decided to go with the stock stiff (was confirmed I would received the 125g shaft) since I didn't want to wait until June.

Of course I received the 115g regular shaft, this is what I thought would happen and is why I e-mailed to double check.

I'm waiting to hear back about options but am concerned the KBS High REV 2.0 in 115g might launch too high, I do use my 60 for full'ish shots too.

I have played KBS Tour S in all my irons for the last 5 years and have never played a wedge shaft before.

Perhaps I will try the 115g shaft and it might fit me well, does anyone have any experience of playing with both?

Personally, I don't like to go less than 125g in my sand or lob wedge shaft. You really can't go wrong with a Tour Issue S-400 if you are stronger player.... I would have to think it is by far the most used wedge shaft on the PGA Tour.

I have practiced quite a bit with the TM Hi-Toe KBS Rev 2.0 115g. I think I am going to switch out the shaft to the 125g. The head feels a little heavy to me in the lighter shaft.

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

Anyone having issues hitting open face off tight lies with this? Seems to be my only issue so far. Had no issue with my K grind

Same here. On title lies the wedge has been very inconsistent for me. Out of bunkers the hi-to is crazy good. I need to practice a lot more with it.

Get someone to hit it with a little custom grind!

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link