TaylorMade High-Toe Wedges

97speedster

I just received a notice that mine 58 Hi-Toe has shipped (Ordered March 6) and should be here on Friday!

Looks like we will have a battle of the 58 Hi-Toe vs the SM7 58.08 M grind this weekend.

please keep me posted on the outcome! Haha

I certainly will. Have only hit it off carpet since it arrived this evening. On looks, hi-toe wins. It just looks awesome. It will all come down to playability which I post some feedback on.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My review of the high toe:

Picked up a 60 yesterday in store after testing vs vokey sm7 60L

Background:

Former college golfer about to turn pro. Currently bagging a raw vokey spin milled 60 with 4 degree bounce (same as the L grind but with a wider sole). Not legal so gotta make the switch. Around the greens I like to go up a lot and hit cut shot a lot. 100 yards and in is a strength in my game so wedge performance on longer shots is important to me.

Decision:

Ultimately went with the high toe due to the launch and spin rates. Felt like I could control it better while still being able to do what I want around the greens. Testing off mats so it was hard to tell exactly.

Course:

Got out to the course today and only did wedge testing. Spent a few hours hitting most shots I would hit on the course. Grass is dead so a lot of tight lies. On short pitches the high toe is crisp and solid. Sole works nice for this just enough bounce and not to much. My low bounce vokey is solid but likes to dig more. Out of tough lies the high toe is much better. The heel relief is great. Low shots are more driving and check nice. High lob shots and flops are where it falls short. To much bounce on the sole of the toe and the leading edge sits to high. Difficult to slide the club under unless you have a good amount of grass or a perfect lie. The low bounce L grind seems unbeatable here. Longer shots the high toe was on the money. Driving trajectory with great distance control and spin control.

Summery:

Only complaint is the sole and leading edge when you really try to open it up. Have to try a little to hard to flip one up. I think this is why you see pretty much every tour player with a prettty heavy hand grind vs the stock sole. Bounce on the sole seems about like the vokey M grind (8 degrees) maybe a little more. Really versatile club though and sick out of the sand. Gonna work with it the next few days.

Best review so far. Thanks for posting it. Two quick questions. What shaft are you going with? Did you test the Cally PM as well? Good luck with your tour career!

Nice review. Disappointed to hear it is hard to hit high lob shots with it. If it cannot do that easily, it is not as good as the PM grind, which does that really well. I think the Hi-Toe looks better, though. And the Hi-Toe certainly looks like it would be great at flops and off a tight lie. Have only seen it in a store, but the leading edge sits low and the slight rounding of it would also seem to help. (Not a fan of too straight of a leading edge as it adds to the digginess.)

This tyoe of club for me is the one I would choose specifically for tight lie pitch shots because those come up often. But if the grind is causing it to catch too much ground, not good. It has to do it all. I have a Fourteen RM12 58 degree with a C grind that is really versatile and the only way I would replace it is to find a club with just the right low leading edge and grind to pop the ball up off really closely mown areas. Another contender that does seem to fit the bill is the Wilson PMP in their tour grind, which is their C grind. But I want to demo the Hi-Toe in 58 and see how it does.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Nice review. Disappointed to hear it is hard to hit high lob shots with it. If it cannot do that easily, it is not as good as the PM grind, which does that really well. I think the Hi-Toe looks better, though. And the Hi-Toe certainly looks like it would be great at flops and off a tight lie. Have only seen it in a store, but the leading edge sits low and the slight rounding of it would also seem to help. (Not a fan of too straight of a leading edge as it adds to the digginess.)

This tyoe of club for me is the one I would choose specifically for tight lie pitch shots because those come up often. But if the grind is causing it to catch too much ground, not good. It has to do it all. I have a Fourteen RM12 58 degree with a C grind that is really versatile and the only way I would replace it is to find a club with just the right low leading edge and grind to pop the ball up off really closely mown areas. Another contender that does seem to fit the bill is the Wilson PMP in their tour grind, which is their C grind. But I want to demo the Hi-Toe in 58 and see how it does.

same boat here, very disappointed to hear its no good for flops on tight lies. It defiantly looks better than the PM IMO.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

same boat here, very disappointed to hear its no good for flops on tight lies. It defiantly looks better than the PM IMO.

Find someone to do some hand work on it to make the leading edge sit lower, that’s my plan.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

IMHO the Hi Toe can hit great lobs, but is different than the PM Grind. When I open the face of the PM Grind, it appears to lower the bounce and is easier to get the leading edge down. The Hi Toe give me the appearance that opening the face increases the bounce and brings the leading edge up off the ground.

I would say that the PM Grind does seem easier to open up around the greens, but I can still hit quality open face shots with the Hi Toe. With the face neutral, especially on full swing shots, the Hi Toe has been leaps and bounds better for me. I think it has to do with the weight distribution in the HT vs. the PM. To me, this makes the Hi Toe the better all around performer and is the winner in my bag.

...all that said, I do have a special place in my heart for the PM Grind, so I'll be hanging on to it for a long time.

Couple of cool posts here thanks guys. I've been testing out the 64* and 60* Hi-Toes and am having superb results with the flop shot for what its worth. I've found that the grind is actually very conducive for the flopper and its more difficult to flop the regular MG wedge. The Hi-Toe has a lot of similarities to the PM wedge in terms of playability except the full shot is easier with the Hi-Toe and the top line is thicker.

Ground the toe and trailing edge.. plays great and feel is tremendous for a cast club....

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

Find someone to do some hand work on it to make the leading edge sit lower, that’s my plan.

A good plan. I love the look of the High Toe. It is a similar club to the PM but not identical. Shape is appealing. I also am not crazy about my PM grind for full shots. Just cannot hit it as far as a typical 58 degree wedge.

I usually play three total wedges — PW at 46, Gap at 52 and SW/LW at 58. But if I carry the PM at 58, I add in a 56 because the gap is too much between the 52 and the PM. And I usually pull out a FW wood on those days and go driver and 5 wood.

But I would love it if the High Toe is a nice fullswing option. Although really, I changed my bag lineup so I could carry a driver, 3w and 5w and I don’t think that has been all that useful. The fairways go so far now I could carry a Rogue driver and 4 wood and have all I need off tee or deck. Could then go 50, 55 (contenders are Mizuno S5/S18 or T7, Cally MD4, TM Milled, Fourteen RM 22 custom grind or Wilson PMP tour grind) and 60 High Toe in my wedges.

Pitches off tight lies are my scariest shot, though I improved a lot with a short-game lesson. Still, I want the club that is easiest to execute that shot with. That is what drew me to the PM but it is not the one I like for a full shot from the fairway.

My review of the high toe:

Picked up a 60 yesterday in store after testing vs vokey sm7 60L

Background:

Former college golfer about to turn pro. Currently bagging a raw vokey spin milled 60 with 4 degree bounce (same as the L grind but with a wider sole). Not legal so gotta make the switch. Around the greens I like to go up a lot and hit cut shot a lot. 100 yards and in is a strength in my game so wedge performance on longer shots is important to me.

Decision:

Ultimately went with the high toe due to the launch and spin rates. Felt like I could control it better while still being able to do what I want around the greens. Testing off mats so it was hard to tell exactly.

Course:

Got out to the course today and only did wedge testing. Spent a few hours hitting most shots I would hit on the course. Grass is dead so a lot of tight lies. On short pitches the high toe is crisp and solid. Sole works nice for this just enough bounce and not to much. My low bounce vokey is solid but likes to dig more. Out of tough lies the high toe is much better. The heel relief is great. Low shots are more driving and check nice. High lob shots and flops are where it falls short. To much bounce on the sole of the toe and the leading edge sits to high. Difficult to slide the club under unless you have a good amount of grass or a perfect lie. The low bounce L grind seems unbeatable here. Longer shots the high toe was on the money. Driving trajectory with great distance control and spin control.

Summery:

Only complaint is the sole and leading edge when you really try to open it up. Have to try a little to hard to flip one up. I think this is why you see pretty much every tour player with a prettty heavy hand grind vs the stock sole. Bounce on the sole seems about like the vokey M grind (8 degrees) maybe a little more. Really versatile club though and sick out of the sand. Gonna work with it the next few days.

Got my 58* Hi-Toe (KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 shaft, 115g) yesterday and had a chance to chip around my apartment. Used to bag 56* (bent to 55*) and 60* PM Grinds. Initial thoughts are Hi-Toe has a bit thicker top line but looks more like a normal wedge, i.e. the toe part isn't as pronounced and the top line isn't as sharp as the PM (which makes the PM face look so triangular IMO). Leading edge is not as rounded as the PMs but the PM's leading edge does seem to sit a bit lower to the ground (i.e. less effective bounce) than Hi-Toe. While both share similar-type grinds, the Hi-Toe's ATV (similar to PING's ES grind) is inverted a bit more than PM's. Where PM's looks basically flat in the middle of the U-shaped grind, but running a finger over it you can feel a slight depression, the Hi-Toe's ATV is easily noticeable with the naked eye.

With a straighter leading edge and more normal-ish face shape (compared to the PM), I noticed I had less trouble lining up my pitches with the Hi-Toe (also could be that the straighter leading edge makes the club look like there's less "offset" or a less pronounced goose-neck-type look that the PMs have). Also having a bit thicker top line made the face feel like there was a bit more forgiveness on shots not struck directly in the sweet spot. My biggest concern with the PMs was a) full shots with them were touch and go, and b) lining up the face at address to target was hit or miss. While the PMs would basically fall open on their own when you placed the club on the ground (which made flops a breeze), the Hi-Toe doesn't open as easily which I'm happy about as I'm hoping full shots will be easier with this wedge and it will give me the ability to line up pitches with more confidence, yet still have the versatility that I loved about the PM Grinds. From what t3shope wrote, I can see how the Hi-Toe's leading edge not sitting lower may make flops and tight lies pretty tough, and it definitely makes sense how all of the tour pros have their Hi-Toes hand ground (esp. DJ's with it's ultra-straight leading edge...sexy).

Don't get me wrong, my PMs were truly get-out-of-jail-free wedges from around the green and sand, but only being able to use them with confidence from 30-40 yrds and in was tough to justify their spots in my bag (and also because trying to hit knock downs with them was difficult for me as well). We'll see how long my honeymoon period lasts with the Hi-Toe...

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

Everyone going with the stock Hi Rev 2.0 Shaft? I have never used that shaft before. I have Nippon 105's in my 790's and wondering and matching them, but TM doesn't offer that shaft in the wedge.

I got mine with S400 Tour Issue. It came last Thursday evening and Friday-Saturday I had a member guest..... my partner and I birdied the first 3 holes then on the 6th hole (par 5) I layed up to 59 yds and holed my 64 hi-toe to a ridiculous pin cut on the back tier on the first shot I hit with it on the course. We tied for 1st in the net and won the gross by 11 shots. Needless to say that I freaken love this new club!

That's awesome. I had a similar experience with a 4 hybrid I put in my bag four years ago. Holed my second shot on a par 5, shortly after putting it in the bag. I don't think I can ever take it out. Would be like taking my dog to the pound.

9.5* TaylorMade 2017 M1 HZRDUS Black 75x
15* TaylorMade 2017 M1 UST Proforce 79x
21.5* TaylorMade RBZ 4 Tour Hybrid Altus 85
718 AP2 4-W KBS Tour 105 S
54* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
58* TaylorMade Hi-Toe KBS Tour-V
TaylorMade Tour Spider 35"

I was able to put mine in play yesterday. 58*, 2* flat, Nippon 105s. I was able to do quite a bit of chipping in the yard this weekend, so I had an idea of what I was getting into. It's incredibly easy to lay wide open. I only had to use it on the course twice, but both times it performed well. Both were short sided flop shots over sand. Both converted to easy par saves from within 3 ft. I'm excited to try this bad boy out of the sand!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I’ve played several rounds with it. Nothing magical. Just a really great wedge.

What’s really impressive to me is the playability doesn’t change if you open it way up or keep it square. My 60 vokey would dig more.

It’s sick out of the bunkers. Really impressive out of thick rough. Easy enough off tight lies.

Very happy with it. I’m interested to see how it goes in dry conditions.

For those who have played this wedge, how does it perform on full fairway shots where the club face is square to the target? I tend to get a little steep and dig on those shots. They advertise it as having a "high bounce leading edge", which makes me think it may not dig as much of full square shots..

For those who have played this wedge, how does it perform on full fairway shots where the club face is square to the target? I tend to get a little steep and dig on those shots. They advertise it as having a "high bounce leading edge", which makes me think it may not dig as much of full square shots..

Worked great for me. Really excelled there for me. K Grind not so much from fairway on full swings

Worked great for me. Really excelled there for me. K Grind not so much from fairway on full swings

Good to know. Thanks. I like fact that it has a higher CG, which will launch lower.

Just picked one of these up, excited to put it in play. Plan on taking it out on the course this weekend as long as the weather holds up in Chicago to test it out some course situations instead of hit it at the range. if anyone wants some pics of how it sits next to ball or anything let me know. I can post em up.

Just picked one of these up, excited to put it in play. Plan on taking it out on the course this weekend as long as the weather holds up in Chicago to test it out some course situations instead of hit it at the range. if anyone wants some pics of how it sits next to ball or anything let me know. I can post em up.

Yes please. Would love to see it behind ball. Also particularly interested in how best to use it off closely mown areas. Thanks!

Any long time Cally PM owners make the switch? I love my PM wedge but based on pics, the HT looks way better.

Just hit more greens with that buttery swing, then you won't need a new wedge. ;)

Audi A-Fore

Titleist TSR3 10* (D4), GD UB-6S

Cobra LTDx 15* HZRDUS Blue S (@ 16* )
TM M2 18*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S
Titleist 816 21*, Tensei Blue S
Mizuno 223 Nippon Modus 105s (5-GW)

Titleist Vokey 54*
Titleist Vokey Gunblue 58* M Grind, 58* Low Bounce K
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1.5 (2010), On the Bench: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Any long time Cally PM owners make the switch? I love my PM wedge but based on pics, the HT looks way better.

I have a PM 58 that I also like for most shots but the Hi-Toe takes a nice club and improves it, at least in appearance. TM wedges seem to be much nicer these days, better blend of classic and modern approaches. The Milled Grind wedges were a top performer when I did a wedge fitting and I had not even planned to try them.

I am going to pick up a HT 58 and give it a try. Have checked it out in stores. Looks nice behind the ball, swings well. For me this club ideally does a lot of things, from bunker shots to rough to closely mown fairways to 50-75 yard pitches. I am all about improving my short game this year, as in more consistency in my technique and trust in the ‘swinging’ of the club around the greens, but I don’t mind clubs that make it easier and save me a little when I err. I’ve got a bevy of wedges and shaft combos and it is amazing how different they all feel and fly.

My 64° with Nippon Modus 105 Wedge is lethal around the greens and out of bunkers. Insane spin!

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I was able to put mine in play yesterday. 58*, 2* flat, Nippon 105s. I was able to do quite a bit of chipping in the yard this weekend, so I had an idea of what I was getting into. It's incredibly easy to lay wide open. I only had to use it on the course twice, but both times it performed well. Both were short sided flop shots over sand. Both converted to easy par saves from within 3 ft. I'm excited to try this bad boy out of the sand!

I really care nothing about my scores this time of the year. We are a full months worth of rounds behind the norm due to this crappy weather. As a result, I have had the 58* HT out for one round. Given I’m not concerned with scoring at this time, I used it for every possible shot regardless of whether or not I should/shouldn’t. The one shot I hadn’t had yet with it is from a bunker. Even if I got into one, very few are playable at the moment.

Loving the 58* high toe wedge. No issue for me on full shots.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Probably showing my ignorance here but haven’t been playing golf that long, but isn’t this and the pm wedge basically Just another version of the eye 2 wedge

Visually the only real similarity is the sole grind. While they may all have “high toes” the Ping Eye 2 wedge has a totally different appearance to me. I grew up playing junior golf in the 1980’s and played the Eye 2 wedge and the PM, Glide ES, and Taylormade high-toe are easier for me to play but they don’t really look anything like an Eye 2 at address to me. The bounce is different as well between these models. You can throw the Tour Edge Rally wedge in the mix as well.