Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

Londoner

"I hear ya North Butte... IMO there are so many levels to a professional golfer.

Is Rick a professional golfer, Yes

Is Rory McIlroy a professional golfer, Yes"

Is rick a professional golfer? No he obviously doesn't play professionally

He is a golf professional....teaches and works in the game

No harm, no foul as long as he isnt selling himself as great player

The association to which he belongs and is a member is the "Professional Golfers Association" - seems like he's earned the right to call himself what he is. It's not the "Golf Professionals Association".

Certainly doesn't hold himself out to play tournament golf for a living and nobody would suggest he does.

Not sure getting caught up in that does us much good?

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile I bet he'd take 99.9% of the posters in this thread to school on the course.

Hmmmm.....252,000 members. .1% is what, approximately 250? There are a lot of good players here........

hmm, you might be right...if only they all posted in this thread. I like my chances, especially since I've found that most golfer's that bash other's are usually nowhere as good as they think they are. Most of the really good players don't need to tell others how good they are or how bad others are...

Oops. You're right, my mistake. Poor reading on my part. You did say thread. And I don't know who all is is posting in it.

But I know BNGL has posted, and Rangers Goalie has at least been reading, just don't know if he's posted. But I'll take both of them.

Unrelated to any back and forth, I though I'd add my opinion (as that's what the internet is for). That said, I don't think a poor performance matters to me much. I really like his channel, and him as a personality. The guy's not a tour pro for a reason. Just because Steve Kerr doesn't lace em up anymore doesn't mean I wouldn't take his shooting advice nor would I devalue his opinion on anything basketball related.

Bad few days. Hopefully it doesn't impact the success of his business. Seems like a really good dude.

Steve Kerr won 3 rings with the Bulls.

"I hear ya North Butte... IMO there are so many levels to a professional golfer.

this. Rick is not going around saying how good he is or bragging that he is a PGA tour golfer. He does course vlogs and reviews equipment and by title he is considered a professional golfer. It would be one thing if he was posting Instagram videos saying how he should be on tour, and if he was bragging about how good he is, but he doesn't do that. I enjoy watching his vlogs and reviews. So he didn't shoot 72 74. Big deal. He was honest said he played bad and was obviously embarrassed by his performances . Give the guy a break jees.

this. Rick is not going around saying how good he is or bragging that he is a PGA tour golfer. He does course vlogs and reviews equipment and by title he is considered a professional golfer. It would be one thing if he was posting Instagram videos saying how he should be on tour, and if he was bragging about how good he is, but he doesn't do that. I enjoy watching his vlogs and reviews. So he didn't shoot 72 74. Big deal. He was honest said he played bad and was obviously embarrassed by his performances . Give the guy a break jees.

The association to which he belongs and is a member is the "Professional Golfers Association" - seems like he's earned the right to call himself what he is. It's not the "Golf Professionals Association".

Certainly doesn't hold himself out to play tournament golf for a living and nobody would suggest he does.

I certainly meant no insult, or harm

My dad was a PGA member, a section president and very proud golf professional, as is my older brother. My mother was as well, along with her father and his three brothers.

They were the ones that I always heard "professional golfers play to get paid, golf professionals work" :)

Plus, it's not like the PGA pushes playing very hard for membership any more, donthey? It's about management and operations more now

Not serious about tournament golf? This wasn't some weekend scramble foursome with the boys. He even said it was just a "holiday" for him and his family. Then he should've never entered the tournament and kept throwing back pints with his buds and watched or promoted it another way instead (even admitted he drank too much). A professional doesn't blow off any tournament (okay maybe big JD) and sh*t the bed on his fellow amateur playing partners, vlog the tournament, and then make up excuses in a video about how bad he sucked.

I'm sure a lot of money was spent by sponsors to get him and his playing partners in that tournament. I'm sure he won't be invited back. Be a professional and don't waste sponsors time and money if you're not ready to perform like one. I doubt he paid out of pocket for any expenses on this "holiday" to forget.

Normally I'd have something, but I just don't know how to respond to "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah".

So, just to show restraint - blah!

Bla!

Bl!

Purpose of changing my post ? Not like it was insightful or anything,lol, but let's not make your words look like mine.

Sorry. That was unintentional , im not sure what happened there.

Normally I'd have something, but I just don't know how to respond to "blah, blah, blah, blah, blah".

So, just to show restraint - blah!

Bla!

Bl!

Purpose of changing my post ? Not like it was insightful or anything,lol, but let's not make your words look like mine.

Sorry. That was unintentional , im not sure what happened there.

Interesting conversation you're having with yourself there.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

I certainly meant no insult, or harm

My dad was a PGA member, a section president and very proud golf professional, as is my older brother. My mother was as well, along with her father and his three brothers.

They were the ones that I always heard "professional golfers play to get paid, golf professionals work" :)

Plus, it's not like the PGA pushes playing very hard for membership any more, donthey? It's about management and operations more now

Believe me, didn't think you were and wouldn't ever think so. We've had some back and forth in this thread (not from you) that has been critical simply because if you go to his Youtube channel it says "Professional Golfer". I just think that kind of carping is kind of a waste of time. No doubt we make that distinction over here the way you mention, but I know growing up and now you still hear folks around clubhouses everywhere address their club professional (there's another term) as "pro" all the time without regard to what kind of pro he or she may be.

Your comment just made me think of some of the other criticism in this thread which I think is criticism for the sake of criticism, at least on that pretty narrow point.

As someone who loves golf, anyone, touring or otherwise, who wants to earn the designation of "pro" has my respect just for having that aspiration - doesn't mean any of them are better or worse than any other folks on a personal level, known super nice ones and not so super nice ones, but in general in my experience, mostly super nice and really enjoy the game, even if they can't play much, lol.

Most of you seem to be forgetting that he does have aspirations to play professionally and does view himself as on or approaching that level. That’s what the whole “Quest for the Open” is about. He very purposefully framed himself this way to get more views.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Most of you seem to be forgetting that he does have aspirations to play professionally and does view himself as on or approaching that level. That's what the whole "Quest for the Open" is about. He very purposefully framed himself this way to get more views.

Now that's not really fair.

He does not have the kind of "aspirations to play professionally" you are implying and has never suggested that, in fact, has said the opposite fairly often, and it's pretty clear he doesn't view himself as anywhere near "on or approaching that level" - both Peter and Rick are very self deprecating.

Of course, the Quest for the Open as it started a couple of years ago was a "hook" for them and they've competed, and so far plan to again this year, in the qualifying but that's as far as it goes and this year especially it should be pretty obvious it's more of a lark. Nobody is kidding anyone about that.

Most of you seem to be forgetting that he does have aspirations to play professionally and does view himself as on or approaching that level. That's what the whole "Quest for the Open" is about. He very purposefully framed himself this way to get more views.

He does not have the kind of "aspirations to play professionally" you are implying and has never suggested that, in fact, has said the opposite fairly often, and it's pretty clear he doesn't view himself as anywhere near "on or approaching that level" - both Peter and Rick are very self deprecating.

Of course, the Quest for the Open as it started a couple of years ago was a "hook" for them and they've competed, and so far plan to again this year, in the qualifying but that's as far as it goes and this year especially it should be pretty obvious it's more of a lark. Nobody is kidding anyone about that.

Lol, who are you to judge the quality of his dreams?

Is it just me or is looking down on someone for having unrealistic dreams the definition of a “hater” ? Seriously man, don’t be that guy. So he had unrealistic dreams. Don’t be the guy who feels the need to point it out to everyone.

Big dreams are to be admired, not mocked.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

LOL, my post squarely in the middle of the two extremes!

He has to be loving the passion in this thread, if nothing else.

“He has big goals that I think are unrealistic even though it isn’t my life. Hey everyone look at this guy with the unrealistic expectations. He put himself out there and came up short. What a loser!”

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Is it just me or is looking down on someone for having unrealistic dreams the definition of a “hater” ? Seriously man, don’t be that guy. So he had unrealistic dreams. Don’t be the guy who feels the need to point it out to everyone.

Okay, I've seen you are still on about this - you are seriously so passionate about defending him at all costs you didn't understand what I posted? Can't figure out the context?

Take a look back through the thread and get back to me on whether I'm a Rick Shiels "hater", lol.

I'm 46 years old, 6' 1" tall, and weigh in at 240 pounds. I've played pick-up basketball a lot over the years and I dream of being an NBA point guard. Don't you laugh, its my dream.

The problem today is not enough parent's tell their kids they don't have what it takes to be whatever their dream is. Its not being cruel, its being realistic. I can dream of being a fighter pilot in the Navy, but if I don't have perfect 20/20 vision or better, it ain't happening. Why go on thinking I can be, when I clearly can't?

This is why the world is now full of lazy underachievers with anxiety issues.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Okay, I've seen you are still on about this - you are seriously so passionate about defending him at all costs you didn't understand what I posted? Can't figure out the context?

Take a look back through the thread and get back to me on whether I'm a Rick Shiels "hater", lol.

Obviously that wasn’t directed at you. It was at the post you quoted.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

If he dreams of playing in an Open he’d best quit messing about on YouTube and start working toward his dream. The R&A doesn’t issue exemptions based on YouTube viewer counts.

He’s currently about 6-8 strokes a round from even thinking about qualifying. And he isn’t getting any better or any younger.

I'm 46 years old, 6' 1" tall, and weigh in at 240 pounds. I've played pick-up basketball a lot over the years and I dream of being an NBA point guard. Don't you laugh, its my dream.

The problem today is not enough parent's tell their kids they don't have what it takes to be whatever their dream is. Its not being cruel, its being realistic. I can dream of being a fighter pilot in the Navy, but if I don't have perfect 20/20 vision or better, it ain't happening. Why go on thinking I can be, when I clearly can't?

I wasn’t aware there were more lazy underachievers now. Good to know.

If powderedtoastman turns out to be Rick Shiels’ dad, I’ll apologize.

You guys are a jaded bunch.

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Then you must live with your head buried in the sand.

Jaded? No. Realistic? Yes!

PXG Bat Attack H

LOL, my post squarely in the middle of the two extremes!

He has to be loving the passion in this thread, if nothing else.

“He has big goals that I think are unrealistic even though it isn’t my life. Hey everyone look at this guy with the unrealistic expectations. He put himself out there and came up short. What a loser!”

Well, this sort of made me question . . . .

Thanks for the clarification. Carry on!

I think he has no shot at all. But I think he should absolutely chase his dream, assuming he takes care of his responsibilities, which he obviously is doing. I’m impressed he created a job for himself that can support his family well and let’s him play golf constantly. That isn’t easy. He’s not off playing golf while Rome burns or living in his parents’ basement.

Thinking realistic thoughts about someone’s chances and expressing those thoughts in as derisive a manner as possible are not the same thing.

This is usually the part in the conversation where someone says something to the effect of “I don’t change for anybody man, I call it like I see it. That’s just who I am.” Fine. That’s called being a hater.

No, that's your definition of hater.

My comments were not directed at Shiels directly. They were directed at a generation that thinks they have the right to be what they want simply because they dream it. Its okay to dream, but at some point you have to wake up and face facts. When I was growing up that wake up call came early. Now, for some. it never comes, and they go on thinking they deserve something they are not capable of attaining. Sometimes people need a proverbial "slap in the face" with reality to wake them up, which is rarely done these days in fear of hurting someone's feelings.

To be clear, I like Rick and have always enjoyed his videos. Same with Crossfield.

PXG Bat Attack H

I think he has no shot at all. But I think he should absolutely chase his dream, assuming he takes care of his responsibilities, which he obviously is doing. I’m impressed he created a job for himself that can support his family well and let’s him play golf constantly. That isn’t easy. He’s not off playing golf while Rome burns or living in his parents’ basement.

Thinking realistic thoughts about someone’s chances and expressing those thoughts in as derisive a manner as possible are not the same thing.

This is usually the part in the conversation where someone says something to the effect of “I don’t change for anybody man, I call it like I see it. That’s just who I am.” Fine. That’s called being a hater.

Wow. Firstly, the last paragraph is SERIOUSLY flawed logic and disrespectful to everybody on here..

The rest.?. Just rubbish, he doesn't get time to play golf. Kinda the point.

No worries, didn’t mean any disrespect. I think unrealistic expectations are required to play good golf, and that most good golfers are irrationally confident (not all, just most). I don’t agree with you guys but this isn’t really a Golf discussion and we can leave it here. No offense intended.

Deleted the post. Hit em good however realistic your expectations are!

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

To be clear, I never judged his dream. I’ve made it clear that I think he’s currently not a very good golfer. He hasn’t broke par on his vlogs in what feels like years, and has hit some extremely awful shots.

I actually think if Rick had a dedicated plan, and stuck to it, he could qualify for a big event. What I don’t like is half-***ing it and calling it a quest. If I were his father (and let’s not ignore the possibility), I’d recommend he either dedicates himself more fully to improving, or stick to his niche on YouTube, continue to build his brand and continue to bring a nice living to his beautiful young family.

As harsh as it might seem, showing up to an event and posting +41 can kill your brand. It’s not a coincidence that nearly all reputable teaching pros don’t play tournaments. They don’t want a stinker performance to affect their reputability.

If I were Rick, I’d work my butt off for one more event, put up a good showing, then dedicate all my efforts to the unique living he’s made for himself (he’s going to be a TV host!). Posting daily videos about golf and working closely with golf OEM’s is a pretty awesome way to make a living.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

When was the last time Rick talked about the “quest” since the last qualifier? Now look at Finch who has the battle board and is putting in some serious work to better his game for the Open. I think Rick understands his limitations with family, work etc and while he would probably love to play in it I truly don’t think he has the same aspirations as he did a few years ago.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

The question that I have is that where has he been since his last video. He was one for daily uploads and now nothing? Strange. My son and I are a fan and miss his videos. Im not concerned with the #'s he is shooting in tournaments.

I am wondering the same thing. He seems to have gone very quiet. Maybe not able to post while filming with Wilson? I doubt it though as his YouTube posting is what made home famous to begin with. Very strange that he’s gone dark.

Could be he played down to his competition, I mean when I play with some one who struggles with their game it affects me and my score shows it. After the first round he was rattled but still was playing with the same group, Not an excuse but it happens to me alot, my mental game is not there and his looks the same. This is why he is a coach and not a Tour player.

Could be he played down to his competition, I mean when I play with some one who struggles with their game it affects me and my score shows it. After the first round he was rattled but still was playing with the same group, Not an excuse but it happens to me alot, my mental game is not there and his looks the same. This is why he is a coach and not a Tour player.