2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Driving distance ranges for junior golfers

CTgolf

Gotcha.

I think you may be missing my question. I understand that growth is individual. Every inch someone grows they are increasing the length of the lever they are using. In relation to that inch of growth how much club head speed will increase just because the length of the lever is increased? Physics says there will be an increase.

Here's an interesting article on the topic. https://www.tutelman.com/golf/swing/tallGolfer.php

Here is the bottom line they came up with:

1. Strength matters! If you assume the taller golfer is scaled up in all dimensions -- weight, muscles, size of joints, etc -- there is an implied strength advantage that accounts for all of the extra driving distance.
  2. Length of arc is detrimental, if it comes from a bigger radius. That's because it increases the need for strength to get the same rotation rate. (I have done other studies that show length of arc helps if it comes from a bigger angle. But that's not a tall-vs-short thing. You can have the extra shoulder turn whether you are tall or short.)
  3. "Taller implies farther" is not a statistical accident. Taller golfers are statistically likely to hit a golf ball farther. But the statistical correlation is far from the whole story; other factors are more important for driving distance.

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

Gotcha.

I think you may be missing my question. I understand that growth is individual. Every inch someone grows they are increasing the length of the lever they are using. In relation to that inch of growth how much club head speed will increase just because the length of the lever is increased? Physics says there will be an increase.

It doesn’t work like that. I didn’t miss the question. I don’t think you understood what I was saying. It’s not linear. Just because a player grows taller doesn’t mean they will get longer. I’ve seen plenty that get taller but stay similar weight and actually have less speed and hit it shorter.

Gotcha.

It doesn’t work like that. I didn’t miss the question. I don’t think you understood what I was saying. It’s not linear. Just because a player grows taller doesn’t mean they will get longer. I’ve seen plenty that get taller but stay similar weight and actually have less speed and hit it shorter.

I have seen this in my own kids sometimes they actually lose distance when they get taller. It's a big reason I make sure they regularly see a swing coach to make sure there still doing things correctly.

There are a lot of factors that go into longer drives besides just getting bigger. My son uses a Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with a Rogue 125MSI tour X shaft playing at 46.5 inches. He also uses a power ultra strong grip that is popular on tour nowadays. This strong grip and his former baseball training allowed him to hit his first 306 yd drive as a 12 year old. His main power is from hitting the sweetspot with a 115+ swing. All this being said, he still only averages 280-300 most of the time because though he's bigger now, he's more likely to hit for position than for distance.

He's only 5 ft 7", 175lbs of muscle. There are guys on his high school team that are 8-10 inches taller than him, but drive it 50-100 yards shorter, a lot has to do with technique, precision and equipment. Some power helps too.

There are a lot of factors that go into longer drives besides just getting bigger. My son uses a Titleist 910 D3 8.5 with a Rogue 125MSI tour X shaft playing at 46.5 inches. He also uses a power ultra strong grip that is popular on tour nowadays. This strong grip and his former baseball training allowed him to hit his first 306 yd drive as a 12 year old. His main power is from hitting the sweetspot with a 115+ swing. All this being said, he still only averages 280-300 most of the time because though he's bigger now, he's more likely to hit for position than for distance.

He's only 5 ft 7", 175lbs of muscle. There are guys on his high school team that are 8-10 inches taller than him, but drive it 50-100 yards shorter, a lot has to do with technique, precision and equipment. Some power helps too.

It kind of bothers me that your son is only 12 and is bigger and hits it further than me. I think I'm about 3.5 x's his age :scare2:

It kind of bothers me that your son is only 12 and is bigger and hits it further than me. I think I'm about 3.5 x's his age :scare2:

Get off GolfWRX and hit the gym. :taunt:

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Wait this is GolfWRX aren't you a +0.5 and driving the ball 320 like everyone else on here?

he turns 18 in a month.

As far as more leverage is concerned, I've even tried 48 inch shafts with him when he was younger, about 13. he gained more yardage, but less accuracy. Hitting the sweetspot pure isn't the easiest thing to do. I've found that as the child grows, you have to be aware of the geometry and make adjustments to lie angles and other factors as well

There shouldn't be such an obsession with distance, it's not like driving and holding par 4 greens is going to be the case. Most of the time my son finds that good players set up for that final shot to be anywhere from 120-60 in, and when you get those in between distances it can be much harder to play. The only time it helps is when he's on a par 5 in 2 and has an eagle chance, that usually takes a 300 yd drive and a 260-280 3 wood. But you'll still more than likely face a 2 putt for birdie.

Yes you can teach speed later BUT it is easier to fix mechanics and hit it straighter than it is to change swing to add speed later. Just my 2 cents there.

I'd say as long as a boy can hit it 230-240 off the tee total by high school, he can compete. As stated, will even out by the time kids are college aged. I hit it a lot farther than kids my age when I was 14-15 years old but was an average distance guy by the time I got to college.

My daughter just turned 10 two weeks ago. She is considered to be one of the top young players in the world. She plays all over the U.S. with other top talent. So far, she has been the longest player in her field in every event for ages 10 and under. She has played in a few 13 and under Hurricane events, and her yardages are very similar to most 13 year old girls. Below are her yardages... Her driver clubhead speed is 88 mph. She is 56" tall and weighs 87 lbs. Hope this helps!

Driver...Carry 188. Total 205

3W... Carry 165. Total 172

Hy... Carry 148. Total 156

5i... Carry 140. Total 147

6i... Carry 134. Total 140

7i... Carry 128. Total 133

8i... Carry 120. Total 125

9i... Carry 112. Total 116

PW... Carry 104. Total 107

GW... 98

SW... 89

My daughter just turned 10 two weeks ago. She is considered to be one of the top young players in the world. She plays all over the U.S. with other top talent. So far, she has been the longest player in her field in every event for ages 10 and under. She has played in a few 13 and under Hurricane events, and her yardages are very similar to most 13 year old girls. Below are her yardages... Her driver clubhead speed is 88 mph. She is 56" tall and weighs 87 lbs. Hope this helps!

GW... 98

SW... 89

That's awesome! Were her distances commensurate to the kids at IMG Worlds or other international events?

GW... 98

SW... 89

I know who your daughter is and I know she is really good.

Those numbers still look to be a lot off if you ask me and others I have talked to on here. An 88 mph club head speed with a driver should be producing a Driver carry of around 205 yards with a total distance of around 220-225. It looks more like a driver swing speed of around 80 or so give or take. A 4th grade girl with a driver swing speed of 88 mph is going to be bigger and stronger than 4'6" and 87 lbs. LPGA average driver swing speed is 94mph.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

I don't know who the previous poster who listed his daughter's stats is, but it is very scary to me how easy it is for others on this forum to identify people on the 'anonymous internet'!

It is actually easy for girl's because there are very few playing, especially at her age. His daughter is the real deal, I just don't see thos numbers as being accurate. You give an age and a city for a girl and it is relatively easy.

As for the other thread, Jolly gave all the information about his son including links to his tournaments. It wasn't in that thread, but it was on this site in this section. Over on another golf site he even posted videos from a few years ago.

I don't know who the previous poster who listed his daughter's stats is, but it is very scary to me how easy it is for others on this forum to identify people on the 'anonymous internet'!

I can tell you that you are from Delaware and have something to do with Deerfield Golf Club just by the picture in your profile.

It is actually easy for girl's because there are very few playing, especially at her age. His daughter is the real deal, I just don't see thos numbers as being accurate. You give an age and a city for a girl and it is relatively easy.

As for the other thread, Jolly gave all the information about his son including links to his tournaments. It wasn't in that thread, but it was on this site in this section. Over on another golf site he even posted videos from a few years ago.

Those numbers could be due to smash factor or AOA. Using trackman chart if at 85 club head speed is only 180 - 189 carry. But I could be way off here.

Those numbers could be due to smash factor or AOA. Using trackman chart if at 85 club head speed is only 180 - 189 carry. But I could be way off here.

Hadn't thought of AOA but you are right... a negative AOA on driver can kill distance.

Hadn't thought of AOA but you are right... a negative AOA on driver can kill distance.

Aoa will have an extremely minimal impact on distance if clubs are fit properly

So not valid? https://www.instagram.com/p/BfY6IdNnp_G/?taken-by=Not allowed because of spam

So not valid? https://www.instagram.com/p/BfY6IdNnp_G/?taken-by=Not allowed because of spam

Not even close. Middle schooler I teach from a few weeks ago.

qalr9Gb.jpg

The yardages for the irons don't match up to an 88 mph swing speed either. More like around 78-82 swing speed with a driver. Just my opinion, but those distances don't match up to any numbers I have ever seen with an 88-90 mph swing speed.

The yardages for the irons don't match up to an 88 mph swing speed either. More like around 78-82 swing speed with a driver. Just my opinion, but those distances don't match up to any numbers I have ever seen with an 88-90 mph swing speed.

Perhaps you forgot to add in the "WRX'er factor" that all reported swing speeds, distances and putts made from 8 feet contain? ;)

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

I'm no expert, but I tend to agree with HH (based on my own measurements of my son's game) that the distances seem a bit off for the driver swingspeed of 88mph

It could be a max vs avg measurement issue, but nonetheless sounds like imaplus3's daughter is an amazing player!

I'm no expert, but I tend to agree with HH (based on my own measurements of my son's game) that the distances seem a bit off for the driver swingspeed of 88mph

It could be a max vs avg measurement issue, but nonetheless sounds like imaplus3's daughter is an amazing player!

I was studying the distances a little closer and those numbers seem really off. A driver carry distance of 188 is going to be right around a 75 mph swing speed. The 3W and 4H fall right in line with about a 75mph driver swing speed as well. When you get to the irons they are kind of all over the place. Almost like they need to be bent back to the proper degree. Can definitely tell less from the irons because you don't know what kind they are or if they are strong or weak. In this case I would say that they are strong.

• 4 weeks later...

GW... 98

SW... 89

That's awesome! Were her distances commensurate to the kids at IMG Worlds or other international events?

She's much longer than most in her age group at all levels

• 1 month later...

I think HH's averages are pretty accurate. Again, those are averages.

As mentioned there can be huge difference in carry distance and total distance. At courses in Pinehurst, carry distance is very important unless the kid knows how to hit stinger draws that can run forever. My 7 y/old carries it anywhere from 135 to 145 yards. If any of you have played Rio Hondo, he was putting out there consistently 180 yards with roll. I thought he was pretty long until you see some of the beasts come out at Worlds who carry it 200+ yards- referring specifically to some of the Thai kids. I question whether they are really 7-8 yrs old though.

I saw a two separate Thai kids at img and Pinehurst drive pretty far; not ridiculous, but given that my son hits farther than most competitors at his age, it caught my eye. But they may have been using non-conforming Japanese drivers. Not certain but I did look up one brand and I saw they had a non-conforming line. Also, my son is a club longer at Pinehurst; every year. Something about the elevation and humidity. I remember when he was 6, he drove the 140 yard par 4. Prior to that he was around 130.

As mentioned there can be huge difference in carry distance and total distance. At courses in Pinehurst, carry distance is very important unless the kid knows how to hit stinger draws that can run forever. My 7 y/old carries it anywhere from 135 to 145 yards. If any of you have played Rio Hondo, he was putting out there consistently 180 yards with roll. I thought he was pretty long until you see some of the beasts come out at Worlds who carry it 200+ yards- referring specifically to some of the Thai kids. I question whether they are really 7-8 yrs old though.

I saw a two separate Thai kids at img and Pinehurst drive pretty far; not ridiculous, but given that my son hits farther than most competitors at his age, it caught my eye. But they may have been using non-conforming Japanese drivers. Not certain but I did look up one brand and I saw they had a non-conforming line. Also, my son is a club longer at Pinehurst; every year. Something about the elevation and humidity. I remember when he was 6, he drove the 140 yard par 4. Prior to that he was around 130.

My kid was 10-20 yards longer at Pinehurst. Made it brutal adjusting and picking the correct irons for approach shots on #8.

My kid was 10-20 yards longer at Pinehurst. Made it brutal adjusting and picking the correct irons for approach shots on #8.

I agree. You just have to trust it. And for those of us not used to Bermuda, direction of grass affect putts so much. Mid pines was tricky at ages 7-8.