Driving distance ranges for junior golfers

CTgolf

22 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

Not quite. I have an 11 year old who swings 92-94mph and can fly it 225 with total around 250 on best drives.  She is definitely an outlier but she’s not the only one that fast at that age. 

I know a kid at 10 that hits it 250 plus but thats an outlier by quite a bit. Granted she a world champion but hey distance has its advantages. 11 year old hitting it what you claim I hope her name is number 1 on the leaderboards but again at 11 that is rare not saying its not happening but considering LPGA avg carry is which what you are claiming is right on par with that. So at 11 yeah it CAN happen but thats also gonna be top 5% or less. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, Firetruck11 said:

My daughter Taylor is 11 years old and drives the ball consistently around 225 total. On occasion she can hit 230-235. The GC Quad has her swing speed around 88-89. You can follow her on instagram @misstaylorgrace to see her golf swing, videos, and tourney results. Good luck to all your kids!

According to an Instagram post by Phil M, the GC Quad Clubhead speed will register 5mph faster than the Trackman or FlightScope.  That is because the Quad records the Swing Speed right before impact.  Trackman and Flightscope record the swing speed at impact which is slower.  What the Quad will get right is the ball speed which is more important.  Many of the units are using an algorithm based on ball speed, spin, launch rates to get the total because they can't track through all terrains.  Using a Unit such as the Quad, the only thing to be concerned with is balls speed and Carry.  Total is pretty useless.  LPGA tour average carry is 218.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions for my son's driving distance?

He is 10yr old. Plays well. Has a few SCPGA JDT event wins. He severely lacks distance. He is thin but strong and athletic. We have been working hard to add distance for a long time now with no results. 

Spin too high AoA negative and SS too low. We have done speed training. I dont know how to get him to improve AoA. What we've tried hasn't worked. 

SS 67.7 , SPIN 3530, Carry 126.4, AoA -5

Average total is about 155y. He has been hitting it that distance for over a year. 

4 hours ago, zachpoker said:

He is 10yr old. Plays well. Has a few SCPGA JDT event wins. He severely lacks distance. He is thin but strong and athletic. We have been working hard to add distance for a long time now with no results. 

Spin too high AoA negative and SS too low. We have done speed training. I dont know how to get him to improve AoA. What we've tried hasn't worked. 

Average total is about 155y. He has been hitting it that distance for over a year. 

The swing speed is fine for 10YO.

It's the -5 AoA that's the issue...and that's creating the high spin.

I'm sure Dan (iteach) will have a better suggestion...but try this as a drill (only a drill).  Try to tee the ball up way outside his front foot (like 8 inches forward).  Now, he's going to hit some really crappy shots like this, but he'll get the feeling of his body swinging up at the ball.  Then, after a while gradually move the ball back toward his front foot.  Then, find the tee placement that works best and feels right.  If he hits a few buckets with the ball WAY forward, it will feel really exaggerated, but, he'll adapt.  Then, when you move it back a couple of inches, it will feel more like normal...but will still be forward of where he tees it now.  I hope this helps!!

Edit...my apologies...I completely forgot to include spine tilt into the equation.  Increase spine tilt... exaggerated...and tilted way from the intended target.  Again... he's going to hit some crappy shots...and the grooved change won't happen overnight.  But, it should help.  Good luck!!

Edited by jj9000

2 hours ago, jj9000 said:

The swing speed is fine for 10YO.

It's the -5 AoA that's the issue...and that's creating the high spin.

I'm sure Dan (iteach) will have a better suggestion...but try this as a drill (only a drill).  Try to tee the ball up way outside his front foot (like 8 inches forward).  Now, he's going to hit some really crappy shots like this, but he'll get the feeling of his body swinging up at the ball.  Then, after a while gradually move the ball back toward his front foot.  Then, find the tee placement that works best and feels right.  If he hits a few buckets with the ball WAY forward, it will feel really exaggerated, but, he'll adapt.  Then, when you move it back a couple of inches, it will feel more like normal...but will still be forward of where he tees it now.  I hope this helps!!

Edit...my apologies...I completely forgot to include spine tilt into the equation.  Increase spine tilt... exaggerated...and tilted way from the intended target.  Again... he's going to hit some crappy shots...and the grooved change won't happen overnight.  But, it should help.  Good luck!!

That drill might help but what helped my son was to tee up driver like normal but then ball up a golf towel a foot in front of the ball and tell him to swing over the towel without hitting it.  Natural athleticism will force him to swing up.  Swinging down 5 degrees will hit the towel.

• Like 4
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

7 hours ago, zachpoker said:

I am not a believer in speed programs.  Used to be until they did nothing for my kid.  12 to 14 there was zero significant growth in swing speed.  This past year he has shot up 16mph.  Maturity of body and a push for upper body strength.  Coach who is also a PT feels he will gain another 10mph over the next 6 months which will put him at 120mph.

1.  Work on Chest Strength.  Med Ball Pushes, Push Ups, Bear Craws, etc.

2.  Work on Vertical Leap

AoA is definitely an issue.  

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, zachpoker said:

What’s his ballspeed and launch angle?  And what are you using to get these numbers 

At his speed you need spin. 3500rpms flies further and has the same total distance as 2200rpms, while also going straighter.  At his distance 3000-3500rpms would be my target fitting wise. 

Edited by iteachgolf
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, iteachgolf said:

What’s his ballspeed and launch angle?  And what are you using to get these numbers ?

"At his speed you need spin. 3500rpms flies further and has the same total distance as 2200rpms, while also going straighter.  At his distance 3000-3500rpms would be my target fitting wise. "

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Trackman. Ball Speed 96.7. Launch 13.9. 

One vid of the above from today with more secondary tilt and some setup adjustments which visually helped but no Launch montor to confirm. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh61l8oeu9p4nq9/WhatsApp Video 2021-04-17 at 6.10.06 PM_Trim.mp4?dl=0

Interesting. I get the spin rate keeps it airborne but AoA increased will drop the spin)

Edited by zachpoker
fix

4 hours ago, zachpoker said:

Thanks for the suggestions. 

Trackman. Ball Speed 96.7. Launch 13.9. 

One vid of the above from today with more secondary tilt and some setup adjustments which visually helped but no Launch montor to confirm. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dh61l8oeu9p4nq9/WhatsApp Video 2021-04-17 at 6.10.06 PM_Trim.mp4?dl=0

Interesting. I get the spin rate keeps it airborne but AoA increased will drop the spin)

Use a spinnier ball like the Bridgestone Tour BXS.

• 3 weeks later...

This whole junior distance things is somewhat frustrating especially with my son being the youngest in the group of juniors he plays with and in tournaments as well.   I feel like he is on track for his age, but its been a huge uphill battle over the last few months with him playing 5,7000-5,800 yard courses as a fairly young 11 yr old.   Par 4 yardage ranges from 315 to 360 with par 5's in the area of 470.  Most of the kids in the tournaments are 12 and I've seen very noticeable distance gains from them compared to just the year before.   I'm sure a lot has to due with puberty too as I can hear it in their voices.   We have been using a very whippy and light driver shaft for the last few years and I'm wondering if it may be hurting him.  Its funny, but we have never gone through a full driver fitting yet and it might be that time.  I will be really pissed if I'm leaving 20-30 yards on the table due to his current shaft and head combo.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, kekoa said:

This whole junior distance things is somewhat frustrating especially with my son being the youngest in the group of juniors he plays with and in tournaments as well.   I feel like he is on track for his age, but its been a huge uphill battle over the last few months with him playing 5,7000-5,800 yard courses as a fairly young 11 yr old.   Par 4 yardage ranges from 315 to 360 with par 5's in the area of 470.  Most of the kids in the tournaments are 12 and I've seen very noticeable distance gains from them compared to just the year before.   I'm sure a lot has to due with puberty too as I can hear it in their voices.   We have been using a very whippy and light driver shaft for the last few years and I'm wondering if it may be hurting him.  Its funny, but we have never gone through a full driver fitting yet and it might be that time.  I will be really pissed if I'm leaving 20-30 yards on the table due to his current shaft and head combo.  

It is different for every kid.  I was sitting here last year at this time wondering if my kid would ever break 100mph.  Since January 2020 to May 2021 he has gained 22 mph of club head speed.  Since January of this year, it has been roughly 10mph.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, kekoa said:

5700-5800 is too long for almost any 11 year old and I feel your pain. My son, 11 year old as well, is not "long" but he can definitely hold his own against almost all 11 year olds even though he is still a first half 11 year old but when he plays anything 11-12 he knows he is going to get smoked off the tee by the 12 year old boys. The jump from 11 to 12 in 99% of boys is huge. You go from 225 from being a LONG 11 year old to 12 year olds knocking 250 yard piss missiles regularly. It is just one of those bad age times to deal with in my opinion. 11-13 year old tournaments are a terrible age bracket for almost all 11 year old boys.

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kekoa said:

A driver fitting never hurts to see numbers just make sure you trust who is doing it and not just selling you something. I've seen first hand where lighter will not always get you the fastest speeds or more importantly ball speed. I doubt you see 20-30 yard gain until he at 80-85+.  But you might see some in the right head shaft combo. 

• Like 3

Just now, darter79 said:

A driver fitting never hurts to see numbers just make sure you trust who is doing it and not just selling you something. I've seen first hand where lighter will not always get you the fastest speeds or more importantly ball speed. I doubt you see 20-30 yard gain until he at 80-85+.  But you might see some in the right head shaft combo. 

Gonna second what Darter is saying. We have three different heads and three different shafts to play with here (40, 45, and 50 gram shafts all in Womens/Senior flex) and two combos equal best distance but one combo gives better control with distance, doesn't hurt the head is 7 years newer. We tried numerous other heads and never saw a massive jump in distance. I seriously doubt you are leaving 20 or 30 yards on the table at his swing speed, physics just don't add up to getting that big of a jump in distance at that swing speed. 

14 minutes ago, darter79 said:

Just went to an XS at 76 grams up from a S flex at 65 grams and gained ball speed.

Edited by heavy_hitter
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tannerbug33 said:

Literally last July I was concerned my son wouldn't be able to play 6000 yard tournaments this summer. From Oct he went from 200 yards to around 235 easily. From a growth spurt to getting fitted with the appropriate shaft and club head. Ot happens and it happens over night so don't worry it'll happen .

6 months ago my son was lucky to pop 160 yard drives...16th, 17th, and 18th holes Saturday, tired, he went 192, 195, 191. Like you said once they hit those spurts and you find the right combo it pops. 

• Like 1

10YO junior went from a driver shaft that was a little too soft in the tip to something a little bit firmer in the tip and senior flex about 12 weeks ago. Initially, driver distance got back up to 160-180 if I recall (had been way down to 140-160).  Now the distance is up to 180-200 depending on strike. He actually hit one 230 in a qualifier the other day (wind-aided and hard ground). We are also 8 weeks into baseball season. Threw his first 75 pitch (max pitch count) game the other day.  I wonder if he is gaining distance because "it's just his time" right now or because of the multi-sport helping him. 

@kekoa - You should check your driver spin numbers on the Mevo+ (assuming decent quality range balls).  I'd check what you see on what seems like quality strikes. Or take the average on 25-30 shots.

Edited by wildcatden
  • Like 2

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

55 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

10YO junior went from a driver shaft that was a little too soft in the tip to something a little bit firmer in the tip and senior flex about 12 weeks ago. Initially, driver distance got back up to 160-180 if I recall (had been way down to 140-160).  Now the distance is up to 180-200 depending on strike. He actually hit one 230 in a qualifier the other day (wind-aided and hard ground). We are also 8 weeks into baseball season. Threw his first 75 pitch (max pitch count) game the other day.  I wonder if he is gaining distance because "it's just his time" right now or because of the multi-sport helping him. 

@kekoa - You should check your driver spin numbers on the Mevo+ (assuming decent quality range balls).  I'd check what you see on what seems like quality strikes. Or take the average on 25-30 shots.

Was that the 5th hole in the qualifier? - my daughter popped it about 230 as well

1 minute ago, ncalgolf said:

Was that the 5th hole in the qualifier? - my daughter popped it about 230 as well

Yeah, downwind and hard ground on that hole.  Still only got a par as he brain farted on the wedge in from ~35-40yds and still had to make a miraculous up&down from behind the green. 😂

• Haha 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

20 hours ago, kekoa said:

And I even forgot to mention you practice on a range with a fitter on site!!!  Go see Josiah!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

I think there was a girl on IG recently that posted a six iron she hit over 180.  Crazy long for someone that's not even a teenager yet!

You got the crazy part of that right. Every fisherman knows there is a fine line between making the lie believable and going to big and making it silly. That  number jumps way over that line. PGA average is 183 carry, come on now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BloctonGolf11 said:

You got the crazy part of that right. Every fisherman knows there is a fine line between making the lie believable and going to big and making it silly. That  number jumps way over that line. PGA average is 183 carry, come on now. 

I thought everything on the Internet was true. Guess I should rethink that Golden bridge investment. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

I thought everything on the Internet was true. Guess I should rethink that Golden bridge investment. 

Be careful of Nigerian Princes offering millions, free cars for filling out surveys, and preteen junior golfers claiming professional level distance because of "firm fairways". 

Edited by BloctonGolf11
  • Haha 2