Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

Vancouver Golf Club - Favourite course in the region by far.
Morgan Creek - Hasn't been in that great of shape lately, they are starting to slip.

North Bellingham GC just across the border is a great track and in excellent shape.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

[quote name='J_Rock' timestamp='1404166923' post='9610899']
just played Big Sky, tee's, fairways, rough, and sand all immaculate! greens had some rough spots for sure, and a few greens had a portion closed for repairs(this was mentioned at check in). all in all, amazing course! ill be back
[/quote]

Big Sky hosted the BC mid-am this year, so they made some extra effort to make sure the course was in great shape. I couldn't play the mid-am this year - 20th anniversary trip in Hawaii with my wife.

WhiZ

[quote name='KrazyTrain18' timestamp='1408165222' post='9945635']
Morgan Creek - Hasn't been in that great of shape lately, they are starting to slip.

North Bellingham GC just across the border is a great track and in excellent shape.
[/quote]

Morgan Creek had a rough winter which wasn't there fault. Some guy took to walking his dog in hiking boots across the greens last winter, and when they hired a security guy to try and stop it, the guard drove a cart across a few greens while frosted as well. Not a good combo. They've been working hard to get the greens back but last time I played there a few weeks ago it was decent. Not great but decent. Might play there on Tues - day off. :)

North Bellingham is a great track. Love it. One of the few courses I'll go across the border for.

And for the record I agree with all the comments about Furry Creek. If somebody gave me free passes I still wouldn't play there. I wave at it every time I drive by it on my way to Squamish Valley. :)

WhiZ

[/quote]

As potential visitors may be reading this thread, a mention that Vancouver Golf Club is a private track so one would need to know a member.

[quote name='myspinonit' timestamp='1408188879' post='9946075']

[/quote]

As potential visitors may be reading this thread, a mention that Vancouver Golf Club is a private track so one would need to know a member.
[/quote]

If anyone is a member and needs a playing partner, please let me know!! I would love to try it out.

[quote name='vancouver81' timestamp='1408490913' post='9968651']
Anyone played Westwood Plateau this summer? Is it still in rough shape?
[/quote]

Yeah, but better then last year.

They announced this year they're redoing all the drainage to help in future years since it's always in awful condition in the spring due to all the winter rain.

University, Riverway, Frasierview are all in good shape, or were last week. Pagoda I want to love, but just like last year, the greens were like concrete.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1408996111' post='10005441']
[quote name='vancouver81' timestamp='1408490913' post='9968651']
Anyone played Westwood Plateau this summer? Is it still in rough shape?
[/quote]

Yeah, but better then last year.

They announced this year they're redoing all the drainage to help in future years since it's always in awful condition in the spring due to all the winter rain.

University, Riverway, Frasierview are all in good shape, or were last week. Pagoda I want to love, but just like last year, the greens were like concrete.
[/quote]
Not sure if you just missed it, but Riverway got some sudden green disease that just popped up when I played it Tuesday Aug 19. I understand they only had 24 hours or so to fix it or lose the greens, it really was the first two that were badly affected but I don't recall the greens been generally as rough as they were. I'm playing Fraserview tomorrow and Pagoda on Friday for only the second time. Thanks for the heads up; the first time I played Pagoda it was rainy and soft so will look forward to giving it a proper once over even if the greens are hard.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1409006222' post='10006561']
I missed that at Riverway. I was there on Sunday the 17th and everything seemed good.

You may be ok at Pagoda but if the greens have been baking in the sun for a few days they get really hard. I imagine in another year or perhaps two or growing in they'll be fine from there.
[/quote]

Thanks. Yeah, it was a sudden thing at Riverway apparently for the few greens damage; hope they got it. I had meant to get my wife to Pagoda earlier but this worked out now and I'm supposed to be playing it in Sept with my men's group so glad to look at it again. Agree with you about University being in great shape this year though haven't played it for maybe a month. Also glad to hear Fraserview is in fine form with the heat as last was maybe June (?) and am playing tomorrow with some more times coming up.

Loomis Trail in upstate Washington is pretty solid if memory serves

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1409021713' post='10008249']
[/quote]

It's been years since I played it, but Loomis was a very good track. Do they not switch back and forth between Loomis and Semiahoo? Or are they both semi-private now and available to the public?

Tks for the update re:WWP. We didn't want to trek up there if the course was still in poor condition.

We played Hazelmere down by the border for the first time ever this weekend. Mediocre course, mediocre to poor shape. I would definitely pay the extra bucks to play Northview or Morgan Creek, or even Peace Portal at around the same rate. I definitely have to get out to Pagoda, I've heard good things from everyone who's played there.

I played Pagoda on Mon Aug 25.
The greens were soft and receptive and held on any spinning shots.
The greens were also rolling fast and smooth and all the pins were ridiculously tucked into suck positions.
The rough was long, thick and brutal....but they were mowing that as the day went on.

Considering the hot summer the course was in good shape and not burnt out.

I played Ft. Langley on Sat Aug 23....those small greens were concrete and rolling fast....very difficult to hold any of the greens.
The rough by the greens was tough making up and downs difficult.

Yeah I should have listed that VGC was private. I did know about the Morgan ordeal but wasn't sure if I should post it on here. Swan E Set links course isn't bad. Good layout just isn't conditioned as good as it could be. I would always suggest Northview Ridge course. To me the Canal is quite boring. As for other courses just across the line, Lake Padden is pretty good. It's in questionable state but lots of great holes. But for me, North Bellingham is for sure the best across the line.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1409022194' post='10008327']
[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1409021713' post='10008249']
[/quote]

It's been years since I played it, but Loomis was a very good track. Do they not switch back and forth between Loomis and Semiahoo? Or are they both semi-private now and available to the public?
[/quote]

Yes, loomis trail and semiahmoo still switch between private/public every 2nd day and both are great courses. Just played semiahmoo on Monday and it was in great shape. Got paired up with a guy who had a Monday-Friday 10 round card there for $400 ( I think for both courses) which can also be shared, and both courses now are starting to have some good deals on golfnow.

My favorite across the line though is Homestead Farms, they also have a great players card for $200 (4 rounds anytime, box of pro v1s, and then 1/2 price green fees all year). Homestead is always in good shape and is a nice test. We did shuksan a couple weeks ago and it's not bad, but would prefer homestead or North Bellingham.

• 5 months later...

Heading to YVR in a few weeks. Meeting a buddy there from Missouri and we would like to get one round in. We are staying DT and plan to cab it both directions so we can enjoy a few adult bevies on the course.

Any recommendations on a course that has nice water views? We know it may be a 30 minute drive from our hotel and are fine with that.

If anyone here happens to be a member or know a way to get on Capilano, Shaughnessy or Point Grey please PM me. We can make a sizeable donation to your favorite charity for getting us on the course. I'm a scratch golfer and my buddy is a 15 hc.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump to this thread. What courses are you guys playing these days and what condition are they in?

I'm out in Langley and usually play The Canal, The Ridge, Pagoda or North Bellingham. I played The Canal last week I thought it was in ok shape for Feb. Greens were very nice but the goose droppings are EVERYWHERE if that kind of thing bothers you.
North Bellingham somehow has their greens rolling like it's mid-summer...LOVE that course.

I've heard Morgan Creek is back to it's old form before the fiasco with the greens, but I've yet to confirm that myself.

if you want water views go to Furry Creek, about a 45 minute drive northwest of downtown Vancouver.

McCleery has its #16 par 3 alongside the Fraser River, but it doesn't come into play.

Shaughnessy & Capilano don't really have water views (except looking down #1 at Capilano towards Vancouver). Haven't played Point Grey.

Morgan Creek has recovered and is doing well. Pricey though. :(

Northview (Canal and Ridge) are pretty good. The Ridge has dried out better than the Canal although the tee box on #6 is still closed so everybody hits off the ladies tee making it a 230 yard par 4. Goose droppings are part of the course at this time of year unfortunately.

Pagoda had issues with one of their greens but have cut some trees away so it gets more sun and it's recovered nicely. Being newer it does drain better than most but being in Langley tends to have more frost issues in the morning.

Hazelmere has been a mess the last few times I've been out. Very soggy and a few 'alternate' greens (cuz we can't call them temps?) Oh and the 18th tee box is being redone so an already silly hole is made worse by having to hit off a mat for your 180 yard tee shot.

Haven't played any of the Burnaby (BBy Mountain/Riverway) or Vancouver (Fraserview/Mcleary/Langara) munis recently. A co-worker was on Fraserview the other day and said it was decent.

Kings Links is open and was in pretty good nick.

WhiZ

[quote name='kokinos' timestamp='1424302112' post='10981133']
Heading to YVR in a few weeks. Meeting a buddy there from Missouri and we would like to get one round in. We are staying DT and plan to cab it both directions so we can enjoy a few adult bevies on the course.

Any recommendations on a course that has nice water views? We know it may be a 30 minute drive from our hotel and are fine with that.

If anyone here happens to be a member or know a way to get on Capilano, Shaughnessy or Point Grey please PM me. We can make a sizeable donation to your favorite charity for getting us on the course. I'm a scratch golfer and my buddy is a 15 hc.
[/quote]
[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1425272859' post='11058749']
if you want water views go to Furry Creek, about a 45 minute drive northwest of downtown Vancouver.

McCleery has its #16 par 3 alongside the Fraser River, but it doesn't come into play.

Shaughnessy & Capilano don't really have water views (except looking down #1 at Capilano towards Vancouver). Haven't played Point Grey.
[/quote]

Agree there aren't many real water view course options and Furry Creek is one. Including the drive there along the ocean. But it's a gimmicky course if you are used to and want a more typical driver in your hand course. I don't recommend it and it seems a long and expensive cab ride for that course.

But for decent public courses a 15-20 minute drive or so from downtown:
You could play McCleery (decent muni), have the cab driver go uphill after and down Larch St which ends up with a spectacular view of the water, city and mountains on a nice day. Or have the cabbie take you along Marine Dr to University of BC and back to Vancouver along the water (see below).

Or play the University Course, good food there after as well. Have the cab turn left at Blanca at the University Gates after you play and drive along the water at Spanish Banks with a water and city/mountain view. Google "Spanish Banks Vancouver" for an example of the views you could have for a few dollars.

As far as beverages on the course, doubt you will find a bev cart on course anywhere this time of the year.

[quote name='The Beav' timestamp='1425240762' post='11054907']
Bump to this thread. What courses are you guys playing these days and what condition are they in?

I'm out in Langley and usually play The Canal, The Ridge, Pagoda or North Bellingham. I played The Canal last week I thought it was in ok shape for Feb. Greens were very nice but the goose droppings are EVERYWHERE if that kind of thing bothers you.
North Bellingham somehow has their greens rolling like it's mid-summer...LOVE that course.

I've heard Morgan Creek is back to it's old form before the fiasco with the greens, but I've yet to confirm that myself.
[/quote][quote name='kokinos' timestamp='1424302112' post='10981133']

[/quote]

Yes, as others have mentioned there aren't really that many courses with nice water views directly in Vancouver, but the weather is pretty nice out here now and maybe just do the touristy thing to get your water fix ... ride the bikes around Stanley park, go to Kitsilano, English Bay, etc. All very easy and direct from downtown. For a 20 minute cab ride from downtown I would recommend Fraserview or Northlands in North Vancouver. Fraserview was in great shape this weekend. Good luck on getting on one of the other private ones you mentioned, but Seymour golf club in North Vancouver is also private but open to the public on Monday's and is a great course.

[quote name='WhiZ' timestamp='1425279942' post='11059061']Morgan Creek has recovered and is doing well. Pricey though. :(

Northview (Canal and Ridge) are pretty good. The Ridge has dried out better than the Canal although the tee box on #6 is still closed so everybody hits off the ladies tee making it a 230 yard par 4. Goose droppings are part of the course at this time of year unfortunately.

Pagoda had issues with one of their greens but have cut some trees away so it gets more sun and it's recovered nicely. Being newer it does drain better than most but being in Langley tends to have more frost issues in the morning.

Hazelmere has been a mess the last few times I've been out. Very soggy and a few 'alternate' greens (cuz we can't call them temps?) Oh and the 18th tee box is being redone so an already silly hole is made worse by having to hit off a mat for your 180 yard tee shot.

Haven't played any of the Burnaby (BBy Mountain/Riverway) or Vancouver (Fraserview/Mcleary/Langara) munis recently. A co-worker was on Fraserview the other day and said it was decent.

Kings Links is open and was in pretty good nick.

WhiZ[/quote]
I agree with everything in here 100%. I find Northview to be the best bang for the buck this side of the river. Plus as a single they can always get me out.

[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1409341030' post='10032471']
The Point Roberts CC is a pretty good track as well over the border
[/quote]
PRCC has a great layout but due to financial issues....the course is in terrible shape.
I suspect it will also be in rough shape this year too...with a very unfavorable exchange rate.....relies on Canadian golfer traffic.

Northlands is one of the most scenic courses within a 20-30 min drive from Vancouver....but the greens don't get nice until summer.

With our great winter weather....McCleery's greens are amazing.....Langara's aren't too bad....but Fraserview's greens are very average.
Fraserview use to have nice winter greens....but not the last few years.

Burnaby Mountain and Riverway have 'furry' greens nowadays.

For off peak/daily rates....I've always thought Swaneset blows away Northview in value.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1425425841' post='11071443']
[quote name='Super Tuna' timestamp='1409341030' post='10032471']
The Point Roberts CC is a pretty good track as well over the border
[/quote]
PRCC has a great layout but due to financial issues....the course is in terrible shape.
I suspect it will also be in rough shape this year too...with a very unfavorable exchange rate.....relies on Canadian golfer traffic.
[/quote]

Yes, agree with you here ... They are just super nice down there, its easy to get on, and think they take Canadian $$ at par ? I was talking to them last year, and when their wells dry up in July/August they have to truck their water in from Delta or something and it is just way to much $$$ so it turns into a brown goat track out there for August/September. They do have some great deals though, as you will see some cheap afternoon times there when booking on line, and think they have a 5pm $25 sunset rate during the summer which can't be beat. You will have the whole course to yourself and can finish in 3 hours.

I just realized no one probably mentioned Kings Links By the Sea, which does have some water views and I like the course. Expensive cab ride from Vancouver though. I hope kokinos does let everyone know what they finally decided. Assuming their trip is around now (a few weeks after the Feb 18 OP) nice weather for it for beginning of March!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1425425906' post='11071447']IMO....I think North Bellingham is the most boring of the courses south of the border....but one of the driest courses in the winter.[/quote]
I played at North Bellingham in the squall Saturday morning and I was blown away by how dry the course was. Best conditioned off-season course around here in my experience. I guess the layout doesn't inspire a ton of excitement bug I'll take the great conditions any day.