2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

That's great! There's a great group of players in that age category. I often just book as a single and end up playing with other guys around my age. The pass is listed as "Legacy Annual Pass" for $1550 on their website, I believe I got a discount at the Vancouver Golf Expo this year. Curtis is Director of Golf, great guy, he'll get you sorted. You also get a bunch of range cards that should last you through the year, unless you hit a lot of balls.

Let me know if you want to get out for a round.

^9 is fine, it's 1 of only 2 long/longish par 4s there. The others are down hill and play much shorter. Brave line and an 7/8 iron in, go wide and have a hybrid/3w. Seems the usual remit for sharp dogleg. Push the teebox 30yds back into someone's back yard and all it does is make it a boring 3 shotter for 95%+ of golfers. And like E_M says lengthening it to retain the teeball means losing a 3rd of their car park.

And par is just a number anyways ;-)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

That's it, if you don't cover the tight line you have an awkward side hill heavy rough punch out, which does make it a pretty mundane/allbeit strong par 4 for most golfers.

Generally speaking, I'm in quarantine right now and after getting over the loss of Premier League football to something called DAZN, I'm also a bit wowed by Summer greenfees. Did they go up this season, as more folks are clambering to get out or they've been like this a while and I've been largely oblivious - as I'm playing one or two rounds with mates when I visit and then leaving town. I know 'value' is poor here, it just looks like everything is $75+ in which case might as well play all the best tracks for the marginal premium on where the mean is.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm not much of a budget keeper but the fees have definitely been increased this season on many courses. I tend to notice only when it goes above 80 bucks and I've noticed that often when trying various online booking formats. 85 bucks for weekend prime-time is understandable and the tee sheets are full, full, full. Increased costs due to virus measures and I can totally see why they jacked 'em up a wee bit

C'mon duffer! DAZN is 150.00 CAD for the season and you can watch every Prem game if needed. I don't have a smart TV so I'm stuck watching on my computer with 24" monitor but it beats nothing. Was hard for me to watch this season but at least we made the Cup final!

I have not noticed a difference of consequence, other than paying advance booking fees with the demand. But I've been playing Vancouver/Burnaby munis or league games Mon-Thurs all at seniors rates, plus advance booking fees factored in.

Maybe you are noticing the welcome mat in the current situation to now accept US$ at par.

I had to pay $90 to play Swaneset one weekend and that hit me like a bat to the head. Not at all worth it, but the tee sheet was full. Supply and demand I guess.

Players Club at Morgan gets you on Sat morning for $94 after tax which is almost the same as everywhere else these days - for a course in primo condition.

I just got a note from my seniors league that our seniors rate to play The Ridge course on a Monday next month is $93 plus honeypot so $100. Plus I’d rent a cart. So maybe the prices are jacked as I’m sure I didn’t pay close to that much a couple of years ago when I last played it with our group.

Edit: one of my league friends played with the Northview game organizer this week who said Northview is charging us $10 more than last year.

Thanks for the feedback fellas :-)

And ya I'm going to order a new cable/hdmi adapter and try DAZN for Sunday's matches. Or I may try and see if I can get on one of work's US VPNs to login to my YoutubeTV account.

F.T.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone used Modern Golf in Richmond? I'm looking at seeing if I can get any benefit from changing my Miura PP-9003's to something more current with mostly a bit more distance.

I want to go to Modern or somewhere with a full array of brand and shaft options, though I've become a Ping guy generally with my long clubs. I did hit a few G410 shots off the crappy mats at GT yesterday with the stock CB reg shaft and it felt too weak and light (and shorter, though I oidn't have my own to compare). Though I play the stock CG Reg in my long clubs.

The Miuras were going to be my last set, and they have held up well for nine seasons (yeah, I use headcovers on 'em, so there. lol). But approaching age 70, this will be my last one I'm sure if I do change. I need graphite or a graphite composite like my current steelfibers due to some arthritis.

• 2 weeks later...

I did for an iron fitting in the winter and it was great. Measured specs on my current set, then tried about 5-6 irons to see what I liked. After narrowing down which head I liked, tried about 3-4 shafts and compared numbers and feel with those. Didn't end up buying anything, but was worth a look after not seeing Trackman numbers for any of my current clubs before.

I tried to go back for Driver fitting and inquired at the end of July, at that time they were fully booked and booking for the week of Sept 9-12th and onwards :(

I did for an iron fitting in the winter and it was great. Measured specs on my current set, then tried about 5-6 irons to see what I liked. After narrowing down which head I liked, tried about 3-4 shafts and compared numbers and feel with those. Didn't end up buying anything, but was worth a look after not seeing Trackman numbers for any of my current clubs before.

I tried to go back for Driver fitting and inquired at the end of July, at that time they were fully booked and booking for the week of Sept 9-12th and

Thanks.Another member gave me an off-line report that was very favourable also, for himself and for a few of his friends who went there after. His said the same thing that they were super busy, I guess as a lot of folks are really rediscovering golf this year.

I decided I'm going to wait until the winter if I decide to do a ftting. I still really like my Miuras though I know they aren't "distance" clubs. If I do pursue it, I might as well wait till closer to my birthday and when new iron models might be out, especially Ping. Plus, by the time I got anything on custom order, golf season will be over for 2020. This is the first winter in a while I won't be doing away golf.

3 hours ago, The Beav said:

Played Redwoods, Hazelmere, and Pagoda recently.  

Redwoods was mint and can''t wait to go back.

Pagoda was a loooong 5.5h round (maybe due to nonsensical CPO in the middle of summer?) and I can't see myself going back to that gong show.  Greens were absolutely shelled on many holes too.

Played Hazelmere last week, not my favorite track but tough to beat their early morning rate. Course was in great shape, but still hate 18! 

9 hours ago, Flexy04 said:

going to be heading to whistler on the weekend with the old lady prob get out for a solo round, never played any of the courses. all seem around the same in price 100-140. What would be my best bet on a round? I do have a red book with 2 for 1 at Nic north but solo..... 

Big Sky > Nick > Chateau > Whistler

I already posted this to a Covid shipping to Canada thread in the Deal or No Deal Forum (no replies) so trying here with the local usual suspects:

Anyone got an idea for current processing times at Customs at YVR (Vancouver Airport) ?   I had some Rose and Fire  headcovers leave LA International via USPS on Aug 8.

From USPS and Canada Post tracking it looks like they are in limbo awaiting receipt by Canada Post. 

I realize that UPS or Fedex might have be quicker, but the only option R&F gives for outside USA is by USPS plus I bought enough to get free shipping. It would be nice to get them while we still have some season left, or at least in enough of fair weather when I'd still sport leather.

•