2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

@myspinonit I had a new driver ordered through Modern Golf take 2.5 weeks. Not sure what shipping method was used though as it went to their shop. Assuming your headcovers took a direct route, I would guess you'll have them this week. In my experience, there is usually a delay in when you can start tracking the hand off on Canada Post. 

I've had a couple non international packages hit the Richmond processing depot one day and were delivered the next day in the past week.

Also, you will love your R&F covers. I got a putter cover last year that I love. Though I still choke when I think about the cost once converted to CAD.

3 hours ago, Phireside said:

@myspinonit I had a new driver ordered through Modern Golf take 2.5 weeks. Not sure what shipping method was used though as it went to their shop. Assuming your headcovers took a direct route, I would guess you'll have them this week. In my experience, there is usually a delay in when you can start tracking the hand off on Canada Post. 

I've had a couple non international packages hit the Richmond processing depot one day and were delivered the next day in the past week.

Also, you will love your R&F covers. I got a putter cover last year that I love. Though I still choke when I think about the cost once converted to CAD.

Thanks.  I was figuring this week too, just in time for an Osoyoos guys trip. 

Yup R&F are good quality and good coin too and I've gone a bit nuts on covers this year.   R&F are still cheaper than most Dormie.  For traveI though I may continue to go more "stealth" with my R&F ballistic nylon wood covers I've had for several years and that are on there  regularly. I go non-OEM, though I have "generic" older Ping aftermarket hybrid ones. But I may leave on the CDN -themed Dormie driver cover that I got this year when one could still travel south.   I also have the ballistic nylon putter one, but it's bulky and non-magnetic and don't use it much.  I had a R&F waxed canvas and leather one on my prior mid mallet Scotty and it was really nice.  I use a PRG one with magnet on my current Scotty. 

These coming ones are my first all leather R&F; driver, two woods, two hybrids all the same design.   Originally I ordered more ballistic nylon, quite a bit cheaper, but realized the nylon isn't going to wear out anyway so I went  big and upgraded my order. Still some buyer's remorse but I'm also dying to get them.

Edited by myspinonit

I've been waiting on a shaft that shipped through Los Angeles.  It "left" L.A. on July 28th. and was just received in Richmond yesterday (Aug. 22nd).  That was after taking 16 days to move from Phoenix to L.A.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Cobra LTDxLS @ 9º (8.25º) w/ Fujikura Speeder TR 661s

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik 4W @ 16º w/ ProjectX Evenflow Black 70s

Hybrid: Sub70 939x 4H @ 21º w/ ProjectX Black Hybrid 6.0

Irons: Artisan HC 4/5 w/ Steelfiber i95cw Stiff; 6-PW w/ Steelfiber i110cw Stiff

Wedges: Artisan Raw 51º, 56º, 61º w/ Modus 120s (to  be re-shafted with Steelfibers to match irons)

Putter: Artisan 0318 Deep Milled

14 hours ago, Flexy04 said:

going to be heading to whistler on the weekend with the old lady prob get out for a solo round, never played any of the courses. all seem around the same in price 100-140. What would be my best bet on a round? I do have a red book with 2 for 1 at Nic north but solo..... 

We did a trip and played all 5 courses (incl Squamish) in late June.

Fairmont has the most "wow factor" and photo ops by a long shot, but also a lot of extremely difficult holes. The first 4 or 5 up the mountain can take the wind out of your sails early.  

Nicklaus North is a great championship layout and usually has the best conditions of all of them.

Whistler is my next favorite, but probably only because I played really well there. Couple awesome holes, lots of black bears.

To me Big Sky is a little overrated.  It plays very flat despite being right next to the majestic mountain.  Great test of golf though, and has a similar aesthetic to Meadow Gardens.

Took the day off work and decided it was time to visit Furry Creek again for my once every 5 years round. Was a nice sunny day with minimal wind. so got to really enjoy just being outside and taking in the views.

They must be hurting for play. Despite their website saying no singles, I called them anyway to inquire. There was no hesitation in giving me a single spot and blocking out the whole foursome. I was told that I would play alone and they wouldn't put anyone with me. There was a really slow foursome in front of me and I had no one in sight behind me so I didn't really care. Mix of playing multiple balls and just taking in the sights. Had my speaker with me too so enjoyed some tunes.

We all know the layout and you either like it or you don't. I'm more of a don't, but I love the scenery there so don't mind playing it on occasion.

Tee boxes were very shaggy, greens recently sanded and fairways covered in grass clippings. I played like trash off the tee, resulting in a low of 1 GIR for the round and not being able to get any check out of the wet rough had  a handful of "Greens Visited in Regulation" 

On 8/23/2020 at 12:12 PM, myspinonit said:

I already posted this to a Covid shipping to Canada thread in the Deal or No Deal Forum (no replies) so trying here with the local usual suspects:

Anyone got an idea for current processing times at Customs at YVR (Vancouver Airport) ?   I had some Rose and Fire  headcovers leave LA International via USPS on Aug 8.

From USPS and Canada Post tracking it looks like they are in limbo awaiting receipt by Canada Post. 

I realize that UPS or Fedex might have be quicker, but the only option R&F gives for outside USA is by USPS plus I bought enough to get free shipping. It would be nice to get them while we still have some season left, or at least in enough of fair weather when I'd still sport leather.

•  

I've shipped about 4 things since 'Rona, 3 with USPS and 1 with FedEx. I think they've averaged 7-10 days at customs and then another couple days after it's been "released." Each shipment with USPS has been faster surprisingly and the one via FedEx was the slowest by two weeks and to top it off, it was the only one I was charged duty on (~$100, ouch). There are ways to reduce the customs fees before you accept the parcel that a quick reddit search can help with if you do end up paying fees/duties.

Tsi3 7.25* Velocore Black 6x

Tsi3 16.5* Tensei Raw White 75x

TM P770 3i Velocore Black HB 9x

Mizuno YORO MP5 4-PW - Modus 120x

TM MG 51*, 55*

TM Hi Toe 64*

Yamada Emperor 34"

Snell MTBx

20 hours ago, lhahn said:

I've shipped about 4 things since 'Rona, 3 with USPS and 1 with FedEx. I think they've averaged 7-10 days at customs and then another couple days after it's been "released." Each shipment with USPS has been faster surprisingly and the one via FedEx was the slowest by two weeks and to top it off, it was the only one I was charged duty on (~$100, ouch). There are ways to reduce the customs fees before you accept the parcel that a quick reddit search can help with if you do end up paying fees/duties.

Got notified today that it's now with Canada Post with expected delivery on Tuesday. I'll be golfing on a guys trip in Osoyoos then so my wife will pick them up at the local PO. .  (Didn't want to prepay the duty/taxes and have it just left in the condo lobby. Downside is she knows how much I spent on five leather covers, but I shrugged itoff as a Covid cooped up expense and she's pretty cool.) .

18 hours ago, Phireside said:

If you live on the North Shore where do you play assuming you're not a Seymour or Capilano member? Considering a move to the other side of the bridge and can't fathom regular play at Northlands.

Glenagles (kidding).   Some North Shore seniors I know play Fraserview or Riverway regularly.

Edited by myspinonit

On 8/27/2020 at 6:18 PM, Phireside said:

If you live on the North Shore where do you play assuming you're not a Seymour or Capilano member? Considering a move to the other side of the bridge and can't fathom regular play at Northlands.

Just curious what makes you loathe Northlands? 

I can understand the dislike of no range, the opening tee shot and a few forced carries but overall I really like the track. I've taken quite a few guests there over the years and everyone seems to have enjoyed the experience.

5 hours ago, Phireside said:

I'm not a big fan of having so many shots with such elevation changes and the amount of blind shots. I'm OK with them in moderation. It's a nice setting and they built the course that they could with the landscape they had. For me it's a 1-2 times a year course.

Agreed on all accounts. I enjoy the 1-2 rounds a year but have no real desire to play more than that. 

I played Belmont this afternoon on the way back from a guys Osoyoos golf trip.   I'm sure it was my first time there, and equally sure it will probably be my last.

To be fair there was a highway delay-car fire- that almost got us late for our tee-time so we were a little stressed out to start with, and it already had been a long drive from early am.  The greens were good, but i don't have a lot otherwise to say positive.  Huge backups with no marshall, four groups were  at the last par 3,  and we finished in just over 4.5 hours.  That was after two of our guys got fed up at 14 or so and we joined our other three to play as a fivesome which probably saved  a few min at the end.

Tee boxes were very uneven and had  more bare earth than sod. That said, a lot of over-watering in areas especially near tees with sodden muddy splotches and a few other other sodden and muddy GUR marked areas of the course  in this near drought time (by Vancouver standards). 

Edited by myspinonit

On 9/3/2020 at 8:58 PM, myspinonit said:

I played Belmont this afternoon on the way back from a guys Osoyoos golf trip.   I'm sure it was my first time there, and equally sure it will probably be my last.

To be fair there was a highway delay-car fire- that almost got us late for our tee-time so we were a little stressed out to start with, and it already had been a long drive from early am.  The greens were good, but i don't have a lot otherwise to say positive.  Huge backups with no marshall, four groups were  at the last par 3,  and we finished in just over 4.5 hours.  That was after two of our guys got fed up at 14 or so and we joined our other three to play as a fivesome which probably saved  a few min at the end.

Tee boxes were very uneven and had  more bare earth than sod. That said, a lot of over-watering in areas especially near tees with sodden muddy splotches and a few other other sodden and muddy GUR marked areas of the course  in this near drought time (by Vancouver standards). 

sounds like belmont.... Condition gotten bad, super slow play. I stay away.

9 hours ago, Phireside said:

Uneven and poor conditioned tee boxes are one of my biggest pet peeves .

Even some of the ones at Morgan Creek are getting shabby

8 and 16? those tee boxes struggle to get sunlight at morgan. Also getting played hard this year i got players club and cant really find tee times unless i'm showing up solo or booking 2 weeks in advance.

13 hours ago, Flexy04 said:

8 and 16? those tee boxes struggle to get sunlight at morgan. Also getting played hard this year i got players club and cant really find tee times unless i'm showing up solo or booking 2 weeks in advance.

8 is the one that comes to mind first, especially if you're up on the white tees. 

Headed to Victoria soon. Will get to play a few rounds. I've decided to play Olympic View and Cordova Bay. I've played both, once each in years past.

I can change one out for Gorge Vale, but it will be just a few days re-opened post punching. I've never played it before. 

Would you stick to the original plan, or swap one for Gorge Vale? I've heard it's a nice track.

On 9/7/2020 at 3:46 PM, Phireside said:

Headed to Victoria soon. Will get to play a few rounds. I've decided to play Olympic View and Cordova Bay. I've played both, once each in years past.

I can change one out for Gorge Vale, but it will be just a few days re-opened post punching. I've never played it before. 

Would you stick to the original plan, or swap one for Gorge Vale? I've heard it's a nice track.

I like Highland Pacific  -  https://www.highlandpacificgolf.com/

But as you have already noted you have to watch the fall punching.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played Belmont many times this year and tee boxes are getting worse every week and no marshals.

Sad really.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done

Off to Victoria for a week of golf on Sunday, can't wait. Tired of all the Vancouver courses and how hard it is to get tee times in Covid times.

PXG One & Done

32 minutes ago, Break68 said:

Off to Victoria for a week of golf on Sunday, can't wait. Tired of all the Vancouver courses and how hard it is to get tee times in Covid times.

Its so tough.   Certainly need to have a pretty flexible group in order to have success.  Feeling lucky to have a time at Swaneset Links on Sat, and Fraserview next Sat.

4 minutes ago, The Beav said:

Its so tough.   Certainly need to have a pretty flexible group in order to have success.  Feeling lucky to have a time at Swaneset Links on Sat, and Fraserview next Sat.

I am playing Swaneset Links in the morning, ironically.

• Like 1

PXG One & Done

25 minutes ago, Phireside said:

I didn't have much problem as a single during the week.

Government town. More people working weekdays at home or office?

I got to Riverway at 8:15 last Tuesday and there was a  dozen or so singles ahead of me.  Burnaby Mountain and Fraserview being aerated at the time didn't help of course. Not even sure for that matter if FV is taking singles...a recent call to the proshop indicated "no walk-ons".

Did some putting at University practice green yesterday. Best I've ever seen it.  Natch I learned it's their turn to get aerated on Monday.

Have had to give up a fair portion of my regular group games recently with smoke and med appts. Sure hope the rain holds off for my Thursday game...gotta be getting close to the end of playability in our Covid-shortened season.

Edited by myspinonit