Playing golf in Vancouver Canada (NO POLITICS!)

DeNinny

20 hours ago, Shushwap said:

Tower is tough track. The greens are really tough.. I 4 putted from inside 5 feet there this year lol.. I don't mind bm... I almost had my best 9 there until the wheels fell off the bus.. 

What did they charge this late in the season.. 

I paid $70 on a Monday at noon. Incl cart and a $10 voucher for food or pro shop.

Question for all u golf junkies.. I may cancel my trip south in Feb... Was thinking about going it the island and getting in a few rounds in Feb.. 

Curious as to what its like playing in monsoon season lol 

May try out the bear.. Pricing looks insane even in feb

Am I best to just save my money and wait for things to open in the interior in April 

5 hours ago, Phireside said:

Once it warmed up and the thin layer of frost melted off the greens, MC was spectacular yesterday.

Think that will be last of my early tee times going forward. 

We played Fraserview yesterday morning and it was superb.   Not sure if it got special attention yesterday due to the VGT Match Play Final being there in the afternoon, but it was unbelievable.  

20211030_115716.jpg.8c68ef27d572cf7de30b83bba21ad9c0.jpg

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

Question for all u golf junkies.. I may cancel my trip south in Feb... Was thinking about going it the island and getting in a few rounds in Feb.. 

Am I best to just save my money and wait for things to open in the interior in April 

Feb golf on the Island is basically 75/25.  75% chance of rain but playable, 25% chance of amazing sunny weather (maybe some frost issues).  

Playing in the rain doesn't bother me one bit.  With today's modern rain gear I stay warm and dry in pretty much any conditions.

Edited by The Beav
Add photo
  • Like 1

Feb may not be too bad, but I'm a mainlander. It's when playing tends to pick up for me. 

I think Bear is stupid priced at all times, but if you're making a vacation/trip out of it, it could be worth the visit. When I'm in the Victoria area, I'm all in on Cordova Bay and Olympic View. Still haven't played Gorge Vale and understand they have cut or even abolished guest play.

1 hour ago, Phireside said:

Feb may not be too bad, but I'm a mainlander. It's when playing tends to pick up for me. 

I think Bear is stupid priced at all times, but if you're making a vacation/trip out of it, it could be worth the visit. When I'm in the Victoria area, I'm all in on Cordova Bay and Olympic View. Still haven't played Gorge Vale and understand they have cut or even abolished guest play.

I have never played anywhere on the island.. It was my buddy that brought up the idea... He is off to spain and protugal for a couple months and is trying to talk me into cancelling my south trip and go to the island and play a few rounds...

Cordova bay  and olympic are nice are they ?.... I know zero about island golf courses

Edited by Shushwap

2 hours ago, The Beav said:

We played Fraserview yesterday morning and it was superb.   Not sure if it got special attention yesterday due to the VGT Match Play Final being there in the afternoon, but it was unbelievable.  

20211030_115716.jpg.8c68ef27d572cf7de30b83bba21ad9c0.jpg

Feb golf on the Island is basically 75/25.  75% chance of rain but playable, 25% chance of amazing sunny weather (maybe some frost issues).  

Playing in the rain doesn't bother me one bit.  With today's modern rain gear I stay warm and dry in pretty much any conditions.

-7 here this morning... A little to cold for me to head out with the sticks... I hate playing in the rain espcially if I am paying for it lol

I have never played anywhere on the island.. It was my buddy that brought up the idea... He is off to spain and protugal for a couple months and is trying to talk me into cancelling my south trip and go to the island and play a few rounds...

Cordova bay  and olympic are nice are they ?.... I know zero about island golf courses

I think they are both solid golf courses. Nothing more nothing less. Cordova Bay while right by the bay has no views of it. There is one goofy par 5 (14?). Olympic has more scenery. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shushwap said:

It can be good on the island in February for golf. If you are planning a trip that has to be a specific day and golf is must it is pretty risky deal. If you are heading out for 5 days and are flexible you should have pretty good luck, baring a rare extended cold snap that freezes the courses.

Good chance of frost in the AM most clear days in February. Temps average about 8 or 9, but could be zero (rare) or in the teens. Rain is not that big of an issue. By that you might get rained on, but more days don't rain than do. Also it is rare it rains all day or rains really hard. I don't mind golfing in the rain, so I might have a more optimistic view than most.

Having said all that, I don't think I have heard of anyone planning a golf trip to the Vancouver Island in February. 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Having said all that, I don't think I have heard of anyone planning a golf trip to the Vancouver Island in February. 😉

I would prefer to head south for a week.. It's just the cost of the testing I can't get past... 1k for testing.. I can't bring myself to pay that 

Well see what comes of things over the next couple months.. Maybe old Trudeau will change his tune with enough pressure from the US 

33 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

I would prefer to head south for a week.. It's just the cost of the testing I can't get past... 1k for testing.. I can't bring myself to pay that 

Well see what comes of things over the next couple months.. Maybe old Trudeau will change his tune with enough pressure from the US 

I assume you are flying, as soon there will be no testing going south by car. Just need something on the way back.

Looks like there is more and more testing options popping up - here is one a friend recently used and liked:

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shushwap said:

If you are thinking about heading south check out booking options and car  rentals. Both are crazy now for lack of availability and cost.  Think up to triple usual car rental rates. 

My wife and I had a locked in rate for a full-size vehicle for 2 1/2 weeks in Palm Springs for $1100 US booked MONTHS ago that was still half of other rental rates for any category rental car or rental company option. We finally cancelled last weekend. Partly Covid,  partly health, partly cost.  Even with the rental rate I locked in, hotel  (with kitchen) and car and air (with a Westjet companion fare deal) were going to be  close to $9000 CDN. That's before any testing and anything else.

Edited by myspinonit
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, myspinonit said:

If you are thinking about heading south check out booking options and car  rentals. Both are crazy now for lack of availability and cost.  Think up to triple usual car rental rates. 

My wife and I had a locked in rate for a full-size vehicle for 2 1/2 weeks in Palm Springs for $1100 US booked MONTHS ago that was still half of other rental rates for any category rental car or rental company option. We finally cancelled last weekend. Partly Covid,  partly health, partly cost.  Even with the rental rate I locked in, hotel  (with kitchen) and car and air (with a Westjet companion fare deal) were going to be  close to $9000 CDN. That's before any testing and anything else.

The pricing right now is out of touch.. I looked Into car rental and I'm about 700 for 9 days.. I have my Airbnb booked already and it's 1500

We can fly using points for about 500 return for the 3 of us 

It's just that dam testing cost I can't get past.. The wife brought up a good point as well.. If one of us was to get covid while down there.. We would have to stay another 10 days.. That's where it can really start adding up 

For now.. I guess I have to keep reading on here daily and wishing I was down south 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I assume you are flying, as soon there will be no testing going south by car. Just need something on the way back.

Looks like there is more and more testing options popping up - here is one a friend recently used and liked:

https://switchhealth.ca/en/partners/aeroplan/#collectionKits

I read about one that one the other day.. I have heard of people getting free tests in the US.. Point Roberts Washington is doing free tests for any Canadians that on property there.. The state of Washington is covering the cost 

9 hours ago, Shushwap said:

The pricing right now is out of touch.. I looked Into car rental and I'm about 700 for 9 days.. I have my Airbnb booked already and it's 1500

We can fly using points for about 500 return for the 3 of us 

It's just that dam testing cost I can't get past.. The wife brought up a good point as well.. If one of us was to get covid while down there.. We would have to stay another 10 days.. That's where it can really start adding up 

For now.. I guess I have to keep reading on here daily and wishing I was down south 

It' s not just the Covid for us.  What if one  gets sick from something else and facilities are too swamped?

On 10/31/2021 at 12:10 PM, Shushwap said:

IMO

Unless you plan a last minute trip to the Island...I wouldn't bother to go and play in the rain...ugh.

There could be a deep freeze for weeks in Feb.

And if the forecast is nice and sunny...90% chance there will be a frost delay that could last until up to 11am....and with shorter days and reshuffling all the golfers....one will have to tee off by 1230pm to get in 18 holes.

You'll need to wait for someone who actually knows the Island golf winter conditions....but I imagine most course might be really mucky.

WTF....$189 for winter golf on the Mountain course on Bear Mtn...what a ripoff....and it's a mountain layout so I imagine the winter conditions are lousy???

We played it in the spring in 2007...twilight....$60 each.

Ya...I understand your thoughts on $1000 Covid tests...another ripoff.

I know it's not the answer you want...just wait it out for a better situation in the future.

Stupid Covid.

Edited by KBong

19 hours ago, myspinonit said:

Inventory is low cause many car rental places sold off their fleets during the height of Covid.

Back in June, a lady I know wanted to go to Hawaii in Aug....$900 US a week for a mini van.

I looked at the Costco partners for Aug in Hawaii....no agencies had a sedan.

I know I know...it was back a while.

In 2007 & 2009...Maui & the Big Island....I paid $160 & $170 US for a mid sized sedan & convertible w/ unlimited miles for a week.

Damn Covid.

Edited by KBong

2 hours ago, KBong said:

IMO

Unless you plan a last minute trip to the Island...I wouldn't bother to go and play in the rain...ugh.

And if the forecast is nice and sunny...90% chance there will be a frost delay that could last until up to 11am....and with shorter days and reshuffling all the golfers....one will have to tee off by 1230pm to get in 18 holes.

You'll need to wait for someone who actually knows the Island golf winter conditions....but I imagine most course might be really mucky.

WTF....$189 for winter golf on the Mountain course on Bear Mtn...what a ripoff....and it's a mountain layout so I imagine the winter conditions are lousy???

I know it's not the answer you want...just wait it out for a better situation in the future.

Stupid Covid.

The pricing is out to lunch.. If I'm going to pay that.. I want to be on a nice course in Phoenix 

2 hours ago, KBong said:

Yup...there's a lot of people with more money than brains.

I think it's $290 in the summer to play Bear Mtn....LMAO.

I could never pay that for something on the island.. It would have to be pretty special and it doesn't look that special

I need to stop looking at Tee times in Phoenix through Tee off.. I may just jump on a plane soon and go on my own once the snow flies 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Shushwap said:

I could never pay that for something on the island.. It would have to be pretty special and it doesn't look that special

I need to stop looking at Tee times in Phoenix through Tee off.. I may just jump on a plane soon and go on my own once the snow flies 

LOL.

Since moving here in 1992 from Toronto...we can play golf year round here...although it's a MUCK HOLE here from Nov to April.....I don't get the ITCH that I MUST golf during a long winter.

IMO...the winters don't seem too severe in Kelowna...but then again...I've never lived there.....have skied in the OK valley though.

It's what one is used to....back in Toronto...I never had a CRAVING that I NEEDED to head south to play golf....I also didn't have a huge amount of disposable money (early in my career) .....though not poor ......prior to 1992.

I also had skiing to offset the lack of golf.

Sometimes we can get a 1-3 week freeze here where snow will stay on the ground...though not too common.

Fortunately Burnaby's driving range tries to stay open in the cold spell.... so if I need to get out of the house for a few swings and fresh air...I have that available to me.

I don't care for screen golf...my friend has a sim....but I rarely go even though I'm welcome and invited to play any time.

3 hours ago, KBong said:

LOL.

Since moving here in 1992 from Toronto...we can play golf year round here...although it's a MUCK HOLE here from Nov to April.....I don't get the ITCH that I MUST golf during a long winter.

IMO...the winters don't seem too severe in Kelowna...but then again...I've never lived there.....have skied in the OK valley though.

It's what one is used to....back in Toronto...I never had a CRAVING that I NEEDED to head south to play golf....I also didn't have a huge amount of disposable money (early in my career) .....though not poor ......prior to 1992.

I also had skiing to offset the lack of golf.

Sometimes we can get a 1-3 week freeze here where snow will stay on the ground...though not too common.

Fortunately Burnaby's driving range tries to stay open in the cold spell.... so if I need to get out of the house for a few swings and fresh air...I have that available to me.

I don't care for screen golf...my friend has a sim....but I rarely go even though I'm welcome and invited to play any time.

For me winter is like jail.. I don't get out much especially with covid now.. I have a few friends that get together on a Sim a couple times a month for some laughs.. Breaks up the boredom.. I can only sit in the house for so long 

On 11/2/2021 at 7:15 AM, KBong said:

IMO

Stupid Covid.

I moved back to Nanaimo about a year ago from the mainland. I played the mountain course on Saturday ( Had a free round to use) I would not ever pay full price for the mountain. The course conditions were incredibly good on the weekend after a week of heavy rain. I could not believe how much the mountain course was during peak season (around$300). I really enjoy the valley course mostly because of the wild greens in comparison to the mountain. I do know that during the offseason the valley becomes only 9 holes which is kind of a bummer especially for someone coming over to the island to play so that would be something to keep in mind. The majority of the courses on the island get pretty swampy during winter and like previously mentioned any clear day will have a frost delay until around 10-11 am. I haven't done much winter golf down in Victoria but most courses north are pretty rough from Dec to Feb/Mar.

• Like 2

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

2 hours ago, tips09 said:

I moved back to Nanaimo about a year ago from the mainland. I played the mountain course on Saturday ( Had a free round to use) I would not ever pay full price for the mountain. The course conditions were incredibly good on the weekend after a week of heavy rain. I could not believe how much the mountain course was during peak season (around$300). I really enjoy the valley course mostly because of the wild greens in comparison to the mountain. I do know that during the offseason the valley becomes only 9 holes which is kind of a bummer especially for someone coming over to the island to play so that would be something to keep in mind. The majority of the courses on the island get pretty swampy during winter and like previously mentioned any clear day will have a frost delay until around 10-11 am. I haven't done much winter golf down in Victoria but most courses north are pretty rough from Dec to Feb/Mar.

Thanks for the input.

I was too lazy to type

BUT

I was gonna suggest to @Shushwap that if he makes it to the Island for golf (outside of winter) to play golf mid Island and up to Campbell River.

Storey Creek is one of my favs in BC.

I've been to Victoria many times on business and never felt it would be great to play golf in and around Victoria as a golf destination trip.

I prefer the 'golf & vacation' feeling better up Island and to stay somewhere near the water.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:48 PM, KBong said:

Thanks for the input.

I was too lazy to type

BUT

I was gonna suggest to @Shushwap that if he makes it to the Island for golf (outside of winter) to play golf mid Island and up to Campbell River.

Storey Creek is one of my favs in BC.

I've been to Victoria many times on business and never felt it would be great to play golf in and around Victoria as a golf destination trip.

I prefer the 'golf & vacation' feeling better up Island and to stay somewhere near the water.

Absolutely would suggest up island. Went up a few times this summer and did 36 with a combo of Storey, Campbell River G&CC and Crown Isle. I haven’t done much off-season golf up there besides Crown so I am not sure about course conditions that time of year. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego