Adam Scott Falls From OWGR Top 50

Hard to keep your ranking up when you play so few events each year compared to the other guys.

He played 19 events in 2017 compared to world #1 Dustin Johnson's 22. "So few events".

AS by choice

DJ by injury

Most of the other top OWGR guys are in the low 20s. Some guys are in the high 20s like Fleetwood who seems to play every damn weekend.

His fall in the rankings has nothing to do with "playing so few events". It's because he's been real bad since the PGA Champ.

Yup. Zero points from the Fedex playoffs, T50 in the China WGC, and he didn't play the Charity Points for Tiger Challenge.

This is going to be tough to turn around. He didn't play well all last year, and his 2016 results are rapidly decreasing in value. If he doesn't play well this week, he'll miss the Mexico WGC and its easy (or at least easier) OWGR points. Could subsequently fall out of the top 64 and miss the match play too.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to keep your ranking up when you play so few events each year compared to the other guys.

He played 19 events in 2017 compared to world #1 Dustin Johnson's 22. "So few events".

AS by choice

DJ by injury

Most of the other top OWGR guys are in the low 20s. Some guys are in the high 20s like Fleetwood who seems to play every damn weekend.

His fall in the rankings has nothing to do with "playing so few events". It's because he's been real bad since the PGA Champ.

Yup. Zero points from the Fedex playoffs, T50 in the China WGC, and he didn't play the Charity Points for Tiger Challenge.

This is going to be tough to turn around.

A good result at the Masters would turn it right around...

Too many young, hungry guys coming up to both the PGA and Euro tours every year. After these guys win a few tournaments, settle down, etc they often lose the hunger that got there there in the first place. It aint like Phil and Tiger's heyday. Too much competition coming up through the junior ranks every year now and these kids are ready to win immediately (YJS, Rahm, etc).

If you are going to bypass WGC's, the swing season, etc then you should expect to be passed up.

Honestly don't think he's too worried about golf anymore. Seems like he ready for retirement IMO.

Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond SZ TC 10.5 Graphite Design AD XC 7TX
Titleist U510 1 Iron AD-DI 85X

Titleist U510 2 Iron AD-DI 95x
Titleist U500 3 Iron AD-DI 105X

Titleist T100 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 56,60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Team Bettinardi Hive

I was surprised to hear an announcer at AT&T to say that Bubba Watson was 117 in the world. I thought he was top 10 just last year.

Bubba had a few good years from 2010 to 2016 but has fallen off for some reason. Coincided with his weight loss but that's just speculation. Anyway it's tough out there for a PGA pro. He's still set for life so I'm not too worried!

As for Scott, not sure what's going on with him. Man with the perfect swing should have perfect results right? LOL. That teaches us to chase a swing that looks great. It's really held back my game going for a certain look. However of course he's still really good. Not saying that it's hindered him. Just saying what others are saying that you don't need a perfect looking swing to win.

Callaway Epic SZ Driver 9
TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
3H (19), 4H (22) Aeroburner TP
Mizuno MP-15 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

Honestly don't think he's too worried about golf anymore. Seems like he ready for retirement IMO.

He's been in the top 50 since 2001. I think he deserves a break haha.

TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

Scott fell out of the top 50 OWGR in mid/late 2009. Fell as far as 65th.
Yeah but he ended the 2009 year in top 50. Anyway it's still impressive.

TM Aeroburner TP 3 wood
Scotty Phantom X6 STR

Scott fell out of the top 50 OWGR in mid/late 2009. Fell as far as 65th.
Yeah but he ended the 2009 year in top 50. Anyway it's still impressive.

No doubt. He has had an incredibly consistent career over his 17-18 years as a professional. His slump in 2009 was horrific for a top tier player but he bounced back from it to become number 1 in the world.

Grouped with Bubba and DJ this week. Hopefully he will take some inspiration from DJ!

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Yeah, I never really hear about Adam Scott anymore since he's not in contention. He should have at least two majors but putting has always been a weakness.

Putting did not keep him from winning the BO he gifted to Ernie.

It did. He bogeyed 15, but it's a tough hole. The key moment was missing a two footer out of nowhere at 16. All of a sudden he was 1 ahead with 2 to play with his mind frazzled. If he gets that putt, I think he wins.

That’s ok, he’s still the best lookin and Classiest Guy our there!!

That’ll keep him in the top-100 till he gets his feet under him?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Yeah, I never really hear about Adam Scott anymore since he's not in contention. He should have at least two majors but putting has always been a weakness.

It did. He bogeyed 15, but it's a tough hole. The key moment was missing a two footer out of nowhere at 16. All of a sudden he was 1 ahead with 2 to play with his mind frazzled. If he gets that putt, I think he wins.

Bad swings put him way out of position on 15,17 and 18. One yip didn’t cost him the win, poor shots on all the other holes did. A few bunts off the tee and a dillywhap or two with an extra club puts him in cruise control coming home but he couldn’t do it.

Bad swings put him way out of position on 15,17 and 18. One yip didn't cost him the win, poor shots on all the other holes did. A few bunts off the tee and a dillywhap or two with an extra club puts him in cruise control coming home but he couldn't do it.

The key moments for me was the short miss on 16 and the decision to hit 3 wood on 18.

915D3 9.5 (GD-DI 6S Black Edition)
910F 15 (Diamana Kai'li 75S)
712U 2I (DG S300)
714 AP2 4-W (DG S300)
SM6 (50-54-58) (DG S200)
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 (Studio Select)
TP5

With this weeks updated rankings Adam Scott has fallen outside of the OWGR Top 50 for the first time since 2010 following last weeks MC at Pebble Beach.

His status in this years US Open and WGCs is now up in the air and will depend on how he fares in his following starts. Adam will be playing both this week at Riviera and next week at the Honda. His putting continues to hurt him, despite being THIRD on the Tour this season in SG Tee-Green.

There's something about getting married that seems to cause a drop in performance on the course. Same thing happened to Rory and others.

Anyone know anything about the changes he's making in his swing? Noticed his posture looked a little different yesterday and looked like he was rehearsing swinging way left a couple times

He was doing the same moves at pebble last week, word is he's doing some work with George Gankas, will be interesting to see how he integrates whatever changes they are working on during today's round

Birdie on 18...Eagle on 1. Making putts and hopefully making cuts as well.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Anyone know anything about the changes he's making in his swing? Noticed his posture looked a little different yesterday and looked like he was rehearsing swinging way left a couple times

He was doing the same moves at pebble last week, word is he's doing some work with George Gankas, will be interesting to see how he integrates whatever changes they are working on during today's round

You could tell a difference in his posture for sure yesterday.

I think you're gonna see more and more guys who have young families go the Steve Stricker route and really scale back their schedules. Lets face it...the way things are set up now with FedExCup points and the fact that just about every tournament purse makes the winner over a million, you only have to have a couple really good (i.e. top 8) finishes in a season to handily keep your playing privileges. As far as majors go Adam is a lifetime entrant at Augusta, will certainly have no trouble getting into the PGA or The Open for the foreseeable future, and will have this year's US Open for sure due to his 2013 Masters win.

Unless the Tours start changing their rules and make it tougher to keep playing privileges or raise the minimum entries needed in a season to keep your status, I think you're gonna see more and more guys continue to just pick and choose where they want to play. With the purses in golf right now its frankly too easy.

I was surprised to hear an announcer at AT&T to say that Bubba Watson was 117 in the world. I thought he was top 10 just last year.

Bubba had a few good years from 2010 to 2016 but has fallen off for some reason. Coincided with his weight loss but that's just speculation. Anyway it's tough out there for a PGA pro. He's still set for life so I'm not too worried!

Also coincides with his ridiculous decision to change his ball from Titleist to Volvik. As someone who works it as much as he does, it was dumbfounding from the start that he would mess with that when he was playing so well.

I believe he's back to playing Titleist now.

I think you're gonna see more and more guys who have young families go the Steve Stricker route and really scale back their schedules. Lets face it...the way things are set up now with FedExCup points and the fact that just about every tournament purse makes the winner over a million, you only have to have a couple really good (i.e. top 8) finishes in a season to handily keep your playing privileges. As far as majors go Adam is a lifetime entrant at Augusta, will certainly have no trouble getting into the PGA or The Open for the foreseeable future, and will have this year's US Open for sure due to his 2013 Masters win.

Didn't his 5 year exemptions run out last year? Winning the 2013 Masters meant he was exempt for the other majors in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. I think he is in danger of missing the US Open (top 60), Open (top 50) and possibly even the PGA (top 75, although they fill in the field with players up to about 100) this year.

Edit:

PGA Tour has him exempt for the Open, but not the other two.

https://www.pgatour....qualifiers.html

Didn't his 5 year exemptions run out last year? Winning the 2013 Masters meant he was exempt for the other majors in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017. I think he is in danger of missing the US Open (top 60), Open (top 50) and possibly even the PGA (top 75, although they fill in the field with players up to about 100) this year.

Edit:

PGA Tour has him exempt for the Open, but not the other two.

https://www.pgatour....qualifiers.html

You're right about the US Open.

All Adam needs is a couple of good finishes on the Florida swing to solidify his status for the other majors. And a good week at Augusta would take care of any worries for the rest of the year.

That putt on the 9th, his 18th, sums it up for him at the moment unfortunately. The long game seems just a little off but when it is just a little off, he doesn't have the short game to fall back on.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019