My Titleist Tour Soft vs Chrome Soft review...

bogeypro

I’ll be the first one to say it… Why would I pay $35 dollars for a 2 piece ball? Hopefully, this review will help you decide whether or not these 2 piece Tour Soft balls live up the price.

A little about me:

I’m a +1.5 handicap that relies on driving and short game. I get to play almost every day. My driver swing speed is 107 to 109 with about 275 carry. I hit my 8 iron 155. I’ve been playing the Callaway Chrome soft exclusively for over 2 years. Before that I played the regular Titleist ProV1. I prefer a little softer ball that is in the $35 price range, which I why I was playing chrome soft.

Why I tested:

With Callaway going up to $45 on the chrome soft, I figured it was time to find a new mid 30 dollar price ball.

How I tested:

I do not use a launch monitor. I did all testing at my course with dormant bermudua fairways and greens. I took a brand-new sleeve of chrome soft Truvis (red soccer ball) and a brand new sleeve of TourSoft balls. I hit one Callaway and then one Titleist for every shot, in that order. I hit short, medium, and log chips (your standard bump and run shots). I hit short, medium, and long pitches (medium trajectory shots). I hit flop shots as well. Then, I went to about 50 yards out and hit to center of the green. Then, I went to full wedge shots from 100 yards. I then hit 6 irons from 175. Finally, I hit drivers on course (in sloppy wet fairways, so all carry, no roll). All in all, I spent a good 2 hours doing this test.

Clubs used:

Vokey SM6 56* raw black with 10* bounce in S grind. Rest of the equipment is in my sig. For driver, I also used Callaway XR 16 Pro 9* with HZRDUS green 65g….just so you don’t think that one driver favors one brand of ball or the other.

Results:

Rather than break it down by category, because the story will get very boring and very old quickly…. I’ll just say this: I couldn’t tell the two balls from each other. On short game shots, they both felt soft and I had no problems getting any shots to react the way I expected. Wedge shots performed the same… one hop and stop. Full wedge shots were easy to control – I could flight both balls how I wanted and could control the spin easily. Full 6 irons shots were within the same circle and both easily stopped within a foot of my divot. The sound of the driver was identical for both. Since my fairways are so soggy today, thanks to 2 days of rain, I was easily able to see where both landed. Both landed within the same circle. They even had the same sound and trajectory off the club. One last thing, concerning durability... I think the Tour Soft faired slightly better overall. Plus, since the cover started much whiter, it ended up a little whiter as well.

Conclusion:

I have to say that I will eat my words. I had said that I wouldn’t buy them because they are an overpriced 2 piece ball. I was wrong. These perform just like the Chrome Soft, but now they will be $10 cheaper!

Perhaps, with modern technology, we put aside our ideas of how many pieces the ball is made as being the determining factor on price and start looking at the performance instead. With that said, the $35 Tour Soft can hold its own against the $40 and $45 dollar softer feeling tour balls on the market.

• Like 4

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I’ll be the first one to say it… Why would I pay $35 dollars for a 2 piece ball? Hopefully, this review will help you decide whether or not these 2 piece Tour Soft balls live up the price.

A little about me:

I’m a +1.5 handicap that relies on driving and short game. I get to play almost every day. My driver swing speed is 107 to 109 with about 275 carry. I hit my 8 iron 155. I’ve been playing the Callaway Chrome soft exclusively for over 2 years. Before that I played the regular Titleist ProV1. I prefer a little softer ball that is in the $35 price range, which I why I was playing chrome soft.

Why I tested:

With Callaway going up to $45 on the chrome soft, I figured it was time to find a new mid 30 dollar price ball.

How I tested:

I do not use a launch monitor. I did all testing at my course with dormant bermudua fairways and greens. I took a brand-new sleeve of chrome soft Truvis (red soccer ball) and a brand new sleeve of TourSoft balls. I hit one Callaway and then one Titleist for every shot, in that order. I hit short, medium, and log chips (your standard bump and run shots). I hit short, medium, and long pitches (medium trajectory shots). I hit flop shots as well. Then, I went to about 50 yards out and hit to center of the green. Then, I went to full wedge shots from 100 yards. I then hit 6 irons from 175. Finally, I hit drivers on course (in sloppy wet fairways, so all carry, no roll). All in all, I spent a good 2 hours doing this test.

Clubs used:

Vokey SM6 56* raw black with 10* bounce in S grind. Rest of the equipment is in my sig. For driver, I also used Callaway XR 16 Pro 9* with HZRDUS green 65g….just so you don’t think that one driver favors one brand of ball or the other.

Results:

Rather than break it down by category, because the story will get very boring and very old quickly…. I’ll just say this: I couldn’t tell the two balls from each other. On short short game shots, they both felt soft and I had no problems getting any shorts to react the way I expected. Wedge shots performed the same… one hop and stop. Full wedge shots were easy to control – I could flight both how I wanted and could control the spin easily. Full 6 irons shots were within the same circle and both easily stopped within a foot of my divot. The sound of the driver was identical for both. Since my fairways are so soggy today, thanks to 2 days of rain, I was easily able to see where both landed. Both landed within the same circle. They even had the same sound and trajectory off the club. One last thing, concerning durability... I think the Tour Soft faired slightly better overall. Plus, since the cover started much whiter, it ended up a little whiter as well.

Conclusion:

I have to say that I will eat my words. I had said that I wouldn’t buy them because they are an overpriced 2 piece ball. I was wrong. These perform just like the Chrome Soft, but now they will be $10 cheaper!

Perhaps, with modern technology, we put aside our ideas of how many pieces the ball is made with as being the determining factor on price and start looking at the performance instead. With that said, the $35 Tour Soft can hold its own against the $40 and $45 dollar softer feeling tour balls on the market.

Which launched higher off the driver ?

Any chance you’d do the same test with the DT Trusoft ? I’d love to know how it compares with both being 2pc surlyn Balls from Titlesist.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I would also like to see this against the NXT-S as the ball to me feels exactly the same as the Tour Soft. Have not played with the Tour Soft but feels like the same cover and compression

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I believe the tour soft is the replacement for the NXT. I believe I read it on here somewhere.

CP

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Callaway epic flash 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Bettinardi BB8W 

A little about me:

Why I tested:

How I tested:

Clubs used:

Results:

Rather than break it down by category, because the story will get very boring and very old quickly…. I’ll just say this: I couldn’t tell the two balls from each other. On short short game shots, they both felt soft and I had no problems getting any shorts to react the way I expected. Wedge shots performed the same… one hop and stop. Full wedge shots were easy to control – I could flight both how I wanted and could control the spin easily. Full 6 irons shots were within the same circle and both easily stopped within a foot of my divot. The sound of the driver was identical for both. Since my fairways are so soggy today, thanks to 2 days of rain, I was easily able to see where both landed. Both landed within the same circle. They even had the same sound and trajectory off the club. One last thing, concerning durability... I think the Tour Soft faired slightly better overall. Plus, since the cover started much whiter, it ended up a little whiter as well.

Conclusion:

Perhaps, with modern technology, we put aside our ideas of how many pieces the ball is made with as being the determining factor on price and start looking at the performance instead. With that said, the $35 Tour Soft can hold its own against the $40 and $45 dollar softer feeling tour balls on the market.

Which launched higher off the driver ?

Any chance you’d do the same test with the DT Trusoft ? I’d love to know how it compares with both being 2pc surlyn Balls from Titlesist.

I'll do it tomorrow!

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I would also like to see this against the NXT-S as the ball to me feels exactly the same as the Tour Soft. Have not played with the Tour Soft but feels like the same cover and compression

I think my shop still has some nxt. If so, i'll hit it tomorrow too...

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Do you think the soft conditions gave the surlyn ball more of a benefit?

Dave

I was wondering that as well. I played the TF Gamer last weekend in soft conditions and performed very similar to my Urethane balls (CS or XV) Could get a 6 iron to stop near it's pitch mark. Testing in soft conditions without a launch monitor is probably only going to expose distance variations, where as control is less effected.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I'll be the first one to say it… Why would I pay $35 dollars for a 2 piece ball? Hopefully, this review will help you decide whether or not these 2 piece Tour Soft balls live up the price.

A little about me:

I'm a +1.5 handicap that relies on driving and short game. I get to play almost every day. My driver swing speed is 107 to 109 with about 275 carry. I hit my 8 iron 155. I've been playing the Callaway Chrome soft exclusively for over 2 years. Before that I played the regular Titleist ProV1. I prefer a little softer ball that is in the $35 price range, which I why I was playing chrome soft.

Why I tested:

How I tested:

Clubs used:

Vokey SM6 56* raw black with 10* bounce in S grind. Rest of the equipment is in my sig. For driver, I also used Callaway XR 16 Pro 9* with HZRDUS green 65g….just so you don't think that one driver favors one brand of ball or the other.

Results:

Rather than break it down by category, because the story will get very boring and very old quickly…. I'll just say this: I couldn't tell the two balls from each other. On short game shots, they both felt soft and I had no problems getting any shots to react the way I expected. Wedge shots performed the same… one hop and stop. Full wedge shots were easy to control – I could flight both balls how I wanted and could control the spin easily. Full 6 irons shots were within the same circle and both easily stopped within a foot of my divot. The sound of the driver was identical for both. Since my fairways are so soggy today, thanks to 2 days of rain, I was easily able to see where both landed. Both landed within the same circle. They even had the same sound and trajectory off the club. One last thing, concerning durability... I think the Tour Soft faired slightly better overall. Plus, since the cover started much whiter, it ended up a little whiter as well.

Conclusion:

I have to say that I will eat my words. I had said that I wouldn't buy them because they are an overpriced 2 piece ball. I was wrong. These perform just like the Chrome Soft, but now they will be $10 cheaper!

Perhaps, with modern technology, we put aside our ideas of how many pieces the ball is made as being the determining factor on price and start looking at the performance instead. With that said, the $35 Tour Soft can hold its own against the $40 and $45 dollar softer feeling tour balls on the market.

Is HZRDUS green a new shaft or are you referring to the t1100/t800?

Thanks for doing this, really informative.

Ping G425 Max 9* Ventus TR Blue 5S
Ping G430 Max 3 Wood Ventus TR Blue 7S

Ping G430 Max 5 Wood Ventus TR Blue 7S
Ping G425 4 Hybrid Ventus Blue HB 8S
Titleist Black T100s/T200 5-PW Steelfiber i95R

SM9 49, 54
Wedgeworks 60T
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport with LAGP 135

I'll be the first one to say it… Why would I pay $35 dollars for a 2 piece ball? Hopefully, this review will help you decide whether or not these 2 piece Tour Soft balls live up the price.

A little about me:

I'm a +1.5 handicap that relies on driving and short game. I get to play almost every day. My driver swing speed is 107 to 109 with about 275 carry. I hit my 8 iron 155. I've been playing the Callaway Chrome soft exclusively for over 2 years. Before that I played the regular Titleist ProV1. I prefer a little softer ball that is in the $35 price range, which I why I was playing chrome soft.

Why I tested:

How I tested:

Clubs used:

Vokey SM6 56* raw black with 10* bounce in S grind. Rest of the equipment is in my sig. For driver, I also used Callaway XR 16 Pro 9* with HZRDUS green 65g….just so you don't think that one driver favors one brand of ball or the other.

Results:

Rather than break it down by category, because the story will get very boring and very old quickly…. I'll just say this: I couldn't tell the two balls from each other. On short game shots, they both felt soft and I had no problems getting any shots to react the way I expected. Wedge shots performed the same… one hop and stop. Full wedge shots were easy to control I could flight both balls how I wanted and could control the spin easily. Full 6 irons shots were within the same circle and both easily stopped within a foot of my divot. The sound of the driver was identical for both. Since my fairways are so soggy today, thanks to 2 days of rain, I was easily able to see where both landed. Both landed within the same circle. They even had the same sound and trajectory off the club. One last thing, concerning durability... I think the Tour Soft faired slightly better overall. Plus, since the cover started much whiter, it ended up a little whiter as well.

Conclusion:

I have to say that I will eat my words. I had said that I wouldn't buy them because they are an overpriced 2 piece ball. I was wrong. These perform just like the Chrome Soft, but now they will be $10 cheaper!

Thanks for your info. I played 18 with the Tour Soft yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. I found the Tour Soft to be very responsive to all shots on the course. Overall I am very happy with the Tour Soft and will keep it as my regular ball.

Gil Leonard

Thanks for the review.

Was this the current Chrome Soft or the soon to be released Graphene Chrome Soft ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Dave

Appreciate the review but a soggy golf course isn't a good time to test a ball. Pinnacles will stop in soggy conditions.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Loved the NXT-S, but @ $45 here in Canada is too much, IMO. I can buy Snell MTB or Q-Star tours for $40/dz. and they are urethane. If the Tour Softs were $35-40/dz., I would consider gaming them. ProVs come on sale (buy 3 get 1 free) soon and will actually be cheaper vs. Tour Softs?!?!

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Dave

Appreciate the review but a soggy golf course isn't a good time to test a ball. Pinnacles will stop in soggy conditions.

That comment reminds me of a day several years ago. Our course has 27 holes and one side you might call the "wet nine". The rest of the course is on sand and drains awesome but there's a several hole stretch on the third nine that is always wet no matter what the weather.

I found a Pinnacle Gold in the woods early in the round and decided to give it a whirl instead of my ProV1x. Seemed to be much of a muchness with what I was used to...as long as I was on the "wet nine". Then I made the turn and the first time that Pinnacle landed in the fringe it bounced once and was off to the races. I ended up with a 20 yard pitch out of thick rough even though the ball had landed in the fringe 25 feet from the hole.

I've hit both (my indoor range uses the tour soft's, and I game Chrome Softs) and find the Tour to look a bit more shiny and white. CS feels a little softer though and also the cover seems a bit... stickier? I buy all my balls used so I'll stick with CS for now, then transition into TP5 in the spring/summer.

Cool to know though that a cheaper 2 piece ball can perform on the same level.

I guess in theory it's possible that some breakthrough in ball design has been lurking out there, making spin separation possible with only two layers and a non-urethane cover. After all, a multipiece urethane ball could theoretically have been manufactured decades before the first ones showed up on the conforming ball list, shortly thereafter eliminating the older, inferior wound ball.

And if it is possible then Titleist is as likely as anyone else to figure it out and bring it to market. It would certainly be a great thing since there's no way a Tour Soft type ball costs anywhere near as much to manufacture as a multi-layer urethane one.

I'm still not actually believing it, mind. But you've got to acknowledge that it is within the realm of possibility.

If indeed something with two layers and an ionomer cover can be engineered to produce 100% of the performance of a ProV1-type ball then I'd predict such construction will absolutely rule the market a decade from now.

I've hit both (my indoor range uses the tour soft's, and I game Chrome Softs) and find the Tour to look a bit more shiny and white. CS feels a little softer though and also the cover seems a bit... stickier? I buy all my balls used so I'll stick with CS for now, then transition into TP5 in the spring/summer.

How did you come to that conclusion based on the fact that he just compared balls in "soggy" conditions? I dont' play the Chrome Soft but i promise you that wedge spin with a multi layer urethane ball like Prov1, Chrome soft, TM Tp5, ect.. is significantly better then a two piece surlyn ball.

Edel PROTO

How did you come to that conclusion based on the fact that he just compared balls in "soggy" conditions? I dont' play the Chrome Soft but i promise you that wedge spin with a multi layer urethane ball like Prov1, Chrome soft, TM Tp5, ect.. is significantly better then a two piece surlyn ball.

Either that is true (as it almost certainly is) or we're seeing the dawning of a new era in golf ball design. Seems highly unlikely but unlikelier things have happened...

More spin yes... Significantly more? Meh, I guess so, strike dependent. So what if conditions are soggy? Unless you live in the desert, you may golf in all kinds of conditions, including wet and soggy. This just shows you don't need to play a 3+ layer urethane ball to score well. Sounds like OP could have scored just fine using a cheaper, 2 piece surlyn.

More spin yes... Significantly more? Meh, I guess so, strike dependent. So what if conditions are soggy? Unless you live in the desert, you may golf in all kinds of conditions, including wet and soggy. This just shows you don't need to play a 3+ layer urethane ball to score well. Sounds like OP could have scored just fine using a cheaper, 2 piece surlyn.

If my 6-iron shots with a 2pc Surlyn ball hit the green and plug in their own ball mark and if the greens are soft and/or shaggy enough that I can pitch a 2pc ball 20 yards to clear a bunker and it will stop within 5-10 feet of where it lands then yes I can play with virtually any ball on the market and shoot almost exactly the same scores. I have played courses like that. I hate courses like that. I never play such soft, slow courses if I have any other alternative.

Personally, I've never understood the concept of a "winter ball" or of trying to judge ahead of a round whether you'll need a ball that spins or you can get by without the spin. At least 90% of my rounds are played on firm and fast Bermuda greens where if a ball doesn't spin then I'll be faced with many shots a round impossible (for me) to keep anywhere in the vicinity of the hole.

So I use balls that spin. Yeah, I could get by with a Pinnacle Gold or Titleist Velocity in certain rounds, maybe a dozen times a year. But I'm not going to switch back and forth on a course by course or day by day basis. Where's the upside? You can get urethane ball performance for well under $2/ball nowadays. What incentive is there to try and scrimp to get by with a lower performance ball once in a while?

A little about me:

Why I tested:

How I tested:

Clubs used:

Results:

Rather than break it down by category, because the story will get very boring and very old quickly…. I'll just say this: I couldn't tell the two balls from each other. On short game shots, they both felt soft and I had no problems getting any shots to react the way I expected. Wedge shots performed the same… one hop and stop. Full wedge shots were easy to control – I could flight both balls how I wanted and could control the spin easily. Full 6 irons shots were within the same circle and both easily stopped within a foot of my divot. The sound of the driver was identical for both. Since my fairways are so soggy today, thanks to 2 days of rain, I was easily able to see where both landed. Both landed within the same circle. They even had the same sound and trajectory off the club. One last thing, concerning durability... I think the Tour Soft faired slightly better overall. Plus, since the cover started much whiter, it ended up a little whiter as well.

Conclusion:

Is HZRDUS green a new shaft or are you referring to the t1100/t800?

My apologies, it's the t800 with the green writing...

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Dave

The greens weren't soggy. Here's my thought... it's the same condition for both balls. I've played three chrome soft long enough and know my spin well enough to feel confident that these 2 balls reacted the same in the given conditions.

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I talked with the Titleist rep the other day and said that very thing. He said not all surlyn is the same. Yes, some trade name, but titleist has found something different... can't remember if he said it was applied different or different makeup, something like that....

I'll be hitting 2 other surlyn balls today to compare...

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I talked with the Titleist rep the other day and said that very thing. He said not all surlyn is the same. Yes, some trade name, but titleist has found something different... can't remember if he said it was applied different or different makeup, something like that....

I'll be hitting 2 other surlyn balls today to compare...

What did the rep say was the difference between the Prov1 and TourSoft then? So they are the same ball one is just $15 cheaper?

Edel PROTO