My Titleist Tour Soft vs Chrome Soft review...

bogeypro

I've hit both (my indoor range uses the tour soft's, and I game Chrome Softs) and find the Tour to look a bit more shiny and white. CS feels a little softer though and also the cover seems a bit... stickier? I buy all my balls used so I'll stick with CS for now, then transition into TP5 in the spring/summer.

Cool to know though that a cheaper 2 piece ball can perform on the same level.

How did you come to that conclusion based on the fact that he just compared balls in "soggy" conditions? I dont' play the Chrome Soft but i promise you that wedge spin with a multi layer urethane ball like Prov1, Chrome soft, TM Tp5, ect.. is significantly better then a two piece surlyn ball.

More spin yes... Significantly more? Meh, I guess so, strike dependent. So what if conditions are soggy? Unless you live in the desert, you may golf in all kinds of conditions, including wet and soggy. This just shows you don't need to play a 3+ layer urethane ball to score well. Sounds like OP could have scored just fine using a cheaper, 2 piece surlyn.

If my 6-iron shots with a 2pc Surlyn ball hit the green and plug in their own ball mark and if the greens are soft and/or shaggy enough that I can pitch a 2pc ball 20 yards to clear a bunker and it will stop within 5-10 feet of where it lands then yes I can play with virtually any ball on the market and shoot almost exactly the same scores. I have played courses like that. I hate courses like that. I never play such soft, slow courses if I have any other alternative.

Personally, I've never understood the concept of a "winter ball" or of trying to judge ahead of a round whether you'll need a ball that spins or you can get by without the spin. At least 90% of my rounds are played on firm and fast Bermuda greens where if a ball doesn't spin then I'll be faced with many shots a round impossible (for me) to keep anywhere in the vicinity of the hole.

So I use balls that spin. Yeah, I could get by with a Pinnacle Gold or Titleist Velocity in certain rounds, maybe a dozen times a year. But I'm not going to switch back and forth on a course by course or day by day basis. Where's the upside? You can get urethane ball performance for well under $2/ball nowadays. What incentive is there to try and scrimp to get by with a lower performance ball once in a while?

Only if you buy new or play those kinds of conditions often.

I just pick a ball that feels good and that I can play with consistently. I don't obsess over spin like OEMs want. If you like tour urethane... then just keep using it. I wouldn't be switching based on this review but I can see the OPs point.

If I had 20% more clubhead speed throughout the bag I probably wouldn't be so picky about approach-shot spin.

One of my frequent playing partners is a big fan of the Velocity. I think he's been playing it since it first hit the market a few years back. But he swings really hard (for someone his age) and he can stop a 200-yard 4-hybrid shot to a firm green with maybe 20 feet of rollout. I've tried that ball mostly because he twisted my arm and said I had to try it. And because I'll try anything once. My stupid 8-iron shots from 130 run through the green with zero spin, the ball is totally uncontrollable for me.

So in the end I can only speak about my own game and maybe by extension that of other low-spin, low-trajectory hacks. I'd not be surprised at all if a high-spin, high-trajectory scratch golfer found a little less spin not to matter one way or the other.

Check out this link.

http://www.golfwrx.com/206527/review-nxt-tour-and-nxt-tour-s-golf-balls/

In 2014 they did a test of the nxt series versus Pro V1 and V1x. If my math is correct, the nxt series has a less than 5% spin difference than the other Pro V1 and x series.

I will assume that 4 years later the Tour Soft that replaces the nxt is even better.

• Thanks 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

For me it comes down to a ball either works or it doesn't. if I can stop an iron shot on a firm green it is good enough.

But maybe almost as good spin will work for almost as many people. or something like that.

In any case, it isn't about price per unit spin or anything like that. There are plenty of urethane balls that spin as much as any ball on the market which are far cheaper than Tour Soft.

I've hit both (my indoor range uses the tour soft's, and I game Chrome Softs) and find the Tour to look a bit more shiny and white. CS feels a little softer though and also the cover seems a bit... stickier? I buy all my balls used so I'll stick with CS for now, then transition into TP5 in the spring/summer.

How did you come to that conclusion based on the fact that he just compared balls in "soggy" conditions? I dont' play the Chrome Soft but i promise you that wedge spin with a multi layer urethane ball like Prov1, Chrome soft, TM Tp5, ect.. is significantly better then a two piece surlyn ball.

I talked with the Titleist rep the other day and said that very thing. He said not all surlyn is the same. Yes, some trade name, but titleist has found something different... can't remember if he said it was applied different or different makeup, something like that....

I'll be hitting 2 other surlyn balls today to compare...

What did the rep say was the difference between the Prov1 and TourSoft then? So they are the same ball one is just $15 cheaper?

Many differences between the two. Cover material, construction, number of cores, etc...

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I got the test balls of these in November and with conditions mainly temperature it was hard to judge the results, this spring I'll have to go back to this, as the 2018 truvis is $45, and the 2018 model would have to be a big improvement for me to justify the cost...

I was surprised to see them jump to $45. Ive been playing the srixon zstar xv which can be had for a steal. I'm just not paying over $35 for balls anymore.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

I talked with the Titleist rep the other day and said that very thing. He said not all surlyn is the same. Yes, some trade name, but titleist has found something different... can't remember if he said it was applied different or different makeup, something like that....

I'll be hitting 2 other surlyn balls today to compare...

From the publicity talk about the ball I thought it was that the cover was as thin as a urethane ball cover would be or something

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be the first one to say it… Why would I pay $35 dollars for a 2 piece ball? Hopefully, this review will help you decide whether or not these 2 piece Tour Soft balls live up the price.

A little about me:

I'm a +1.5 handicap that relies on driving and short game. I get to play almost every day. My driver swing speed is 107 to 109 with about 275 carry. I hit my 8 iron 155. I've been playing the Callaway Chrome soft exclusively for over 2 years. Before that I played the regular Titleist ProV1. I prefer a little softer ball that is in the $35 price range, which I why I was playing chrome soft.

Why I tested:

With Callaway going up to $45 on the chrome soft, I figured it was time to find a new mid 30 dollar price ball.

How I tested:

I do not use a launch monitor. I did all testing at my course with dormant bermudua fairways and greens. I took a brand-new sleeve of chrome soft Truvis (red soccer ball) and a brand new sleeve of TourSoft balls. I hit one Callaway and then one Titleist for every shot, in that order. I hit short, medium, and log chips (your standard bump and run shots). I hit short, medium, and long pitches (medium trajectory shots). I hit flop shots as well. Then, I went to about 50 yards out and hit to center of the green. Then, I went to full wedge shots from 100 yards. I then hit 6 irons from 175. Finally, I hit drivers on course (in sloppy wet fairways, so all carry, no roll). All in all, I spent a good 2 hours doing this test.

Clubs used:

Vokey SM6 56* raw black with 10* bounce in S grind. Rest of the equipment is in my sig. For driver, I also used Callaway XR 16 Pro 9* with HZRDUS green 65g….just so you don't think that one driver favors one brand of ball or the other.

Results:

Rather than break it down by category, because the story will get very boring and very old quickly…. I'll just say this: I couldn't tell the two balls from each other. On short game shots, they both felt soft and I had no problems getting any shots to react the way I expected. Wedge shots performed the same… one hop and stop. Full wedge shots were easy to control – I could flight both balls how I wanted and could control the spin easily. Full 6 irons shots were within the same circle and both easily stopped within a foot of my divot. The sound of the driver was identical for both. Since my fairways are so soggy today, thanks to 2 days of rain, I was easily able to see where both landed. Both landed within the same circle. They even had the same sound and trajectory off the club. One last thing, concerning durability... I think the Tour Soft faired slightly better overall. Plus, since the cover started much whiter, it ended up a little whiter as well.

Conclusion:

I have to say that I will eat my words. I had said that I wouldn't buy them because they are an overpriced 2 piece ball. I was wrong. These perform just like the Chrome Soft, but now they will be $10 cheaper!

Perhaps, with modern technology, we put aside our ideas of how many pieces the ball is made as being the determining factor on price and start looking at the performance instead. With that said, the $35 Tour Soft can hold its own against the $40 and $45 dollar softer feeling tour balls on the market.

Glad the Tour Soft worked well for you. I had the opposite experience with the ball, but with a disclaimer: While I am fortunate to live where I can golf 365 days of the year, that also means playing on some very firm greens. To get any considerable check up I had to exaggerate my swing to get enough spin or hit high open face fades to stop the ball, and even then I would get some roll out. Where as with the QST and CS I get hop and stop spin with my normal shots in the same conditions. I will say the Tour Soft did seem much more "playable" in these conditions than either of the previous NXT balls.

Wouldn't a Titleist Tour Soft vs. Callaway Supersoft be a more accurate ball comparison?

Seems as though the "class" here is differentiated by the cover; urethane vs surlyn.

And the Chrome Soft IS "moving up in class". As well as price. :(

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Wouldn't a Titleist Tour Soft vs. Callaway Supersoft be a more accurate ball comparison?

Seems as though the "class" here is differentiated by the cover; urethane vs surlyn.

moving up in price yes, class it’s where is has been.

Funny how you charge more for the same product and now it’s in a higher class .

If I make more money , I don’t obtain more class , I am still the same arshole I was yesterday!

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

moving up in price yes, class it’s where is has been.

Funny how you charge more for the same product and now it’s in a higher class .

If I make more money , I don’t obtain more class , I am still the same arshole I was yesterday!

Even though I haven't played the new ball yet, can't argue with any of that. Especially the last part. :lol:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 4 weeks later...

I stockpiled as many NXT-Tour S balls as I could. For me and the slightly softer courses I play, they are every bit as good as any other ball on the market. I absolutely love the soft feel putting. I notice no difference at all vs. urethane premos. If I decide to play August golf in hard-pan Texas I make sure to bring a V1.....

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I got the test balls of these in November and with conditions mainly temperature it was hard to judge the results, this spring I'll have to go back to this, as the 2018 truvis is $45, and the 2018 model would have to be a big improvement for me to justify the cost...

I was surprised to see them jump to $45. Ive been playing the srixon zstar xv which can be had for a steal. I'm just not paying over $35 for balls anymore.

I play the CS and was surprised by the jump in price too! I have also played the zstar xv quite often and liked it. I even sold my buddy on the xv's when he watched me hole out the third shot on a par 5. He had to try them right after that hole so I gave him some, then when he got home he asked me to send him a few dozen of them! lol

If I ever run out of the CS that I have about 7 dozen or so, I may be switching back to the xv ball. I was trying to sell off 4 dozen of the CS truvis ones but haven't sold them yet. I may have to keep them now! :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found a mint Tour Soft the other day and played it as part of a mult-ball practice round. I usually play 2014 or 2016 B330 and had switched from Pro V1x several years ago.

I have to say that I really liked it. I did not look too closely at it and just assumed it was a Pro V1 when I pegged it (which I have never really liked). Was kind of surprised when I picked it off the green noticed it was a Tour Soft! Felt great off of driver and irons. Stopped on the greens with short irons and wedges just as well as my B330. Seemed to perform just as good in the wind as the B330.. Length was a wash between the 2 balls. I could happily play this ball. Seems like a big improvement over the NXT Tour.

Would be really interested in an AVX vs Tour Soft review! May do the comparison myself this weekend...

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

fwiw last year I played a dozen or so rounds with Srixon Soft Feel. It is no longer than Tour Soft but no shorter either. Both fly super high. Neither spins enough to hold firm greens with my 6/7/8 iron shots but the Tour Soft seemed to roll out a bit even with a 9-iron or PW.

Those two along with SuperSoft are so similar I’d say pick them based on price or color. Performance is very similar. Or use SuperSoft if you want a ball that is whisper-quiet coming off the face of an insert putter.