What paint for putter heads?

Ive used duracoat on some of my diy firearms and putters. It is very durable. They have a variety of color choices that you can matte or gloss depending on how much hardner you add.

Out of curiosity, how glossy are the glossy duracoats? It's hard to find a good example with good lighting on google. I did just find a good picture of the semi-gloss on yahoo, so I'm leaning toward a 4oz. kit of the gloss black Duracoat with the Preval sprayer.

Status update: Currently waiting on the duracoat and sprayers from Amazon. I'm trying to decide on a nice, warm spot to do the spraying. Maybe in the warehouse at work. I'm leaning toward just taping everything off instead of removing the insert and other deals, because I don't trust myself to put that stuff together as well as the Scotty factory has. Would taping work? Does duracoat come off like paint in regards to tape?

Status update: Currently waiting on the duracoat and sprayers from Amazon. I'm trying to decide on a nice, warm spot to do the spraying. Maybe in the warehouse at work. I'm leaning toward just taping everything off instead of removing the insert and other deals, because I don't trust myself to put that stuff together as well as the Scotty factory has. Would taping work? Does duracoat come off like paint in regards to tape?

I've seen tape ruin paint projects. It gets painted too & dries along with the painted piece. If left on too long or not pulled off correctly, it can rip the paint from the painted piece. It has to be pulled "away" from the piece & not "against" it. Tape is used all the time in painting projects, you just have to be careful removing it.

On your putter, it's a simple process to remove & re-install the insert & weights. They are basically screws. Yes you can tape the area's you don't want painted but I'm suggesting you remove them.

Clarify your last question, not sure what you are asking

I've seen tape ruin paint projects. It gets painted too & dries along with the painted piece. If left on too long or not pulled off correctly, it can rip the paint from the painted piece. It has to be pulled "away" from the piece & not "against" it. Tape is used all the time in painting projects, you just have to be careful removing it.

On your putter, it's a simple process to remove & re-install the insert & weights. They are basically screws. Yes you can tape the area's you don't want painted but I'm suggesting you remove them.

Clarify your last question, not sure what you are asking

I looked it up. For my last question, I was envisioning Duracoat as ending up more like a plasti-dip type thickness rather than a paint, so I was concerned about how thick the layers would be. But it seems I was worrying about nothing.

Ive used duracoat on some of my diy firearms and putters. It is very durable. They have a variety of color choices that you can matte or gloss depending on how much hardner you add.

Out of curiosity, how glossy are the glossy duracoats? It's hard to find a good example with good lighting on google. I did just find a good picture of the semi-gloss on yahoo, so I'm leaning toward a 4oz. kit of the gloss black Duracoat with the Preval sprayer.

Sorry for the late reply. They have different colors available that range between matt and gloss. And as I said earlier, the amount of hardner added can impact the sheen. I found some older photos of different results using the same flat black duracoat. It does take a bit of trial and error to get it to where you want it.

This has a little more hardner than recommended added to the mix. Mind you, this is supposed to be a flat black.

20170627_192153_zpsyis7ownk.jpg

Same duracoat color, no hardner added in this mix.

matt%20finish_zpsakjekkok.jpg

20170627_192153_zpsyis7ownk.jpg[/img]

Well, I went through with it. Pics to be posted in a few hours once I get them uploaded to imgur. I haven't done the paint fill yet, but I'm pretty pleased with the results. It's not as clean as it could be, but it definitely looks better than what I feared it could be.

EDIT:

Here's the current progress! I plan to let it set for another day or two before doing the fill.

DuraCoat is not much different than spraying spray paint, you just need a compressor with a moisture trap, an hvlp and a way to measure and mix. And yes, the amount of hardener varies the sheen of the finish.

From their directions:

The ideal mixing ratio of DuraCoat to DuraCoat Hardener is 12 parts DuraCoat to 1 part Hardener. You can make your finish glossier or shinier by adding a little more Hardener, up to 10:1. You can make the finish duller, or more matte by using less Hardener, down to 14:1. Any greater or lesser ratio of Hardener may negatively affect durability.

DuraCoat is not much different than spraying spray paint, you just need a compressor with a moisture trap, an hvlp and a way to measure and mix. And yes, the amount of hardener varies the sheen of the finish.

From their directions:

The ideal mixing ratio of DuraCoat to DuraCoat Hardener is 12 parts DuraCoat to 1 part Hardener. You can make your finish glossier or shinier by adding a little more Hardener, up to 10:1. You can make the finish duller, or more matte by using less Hardener, down to 14:1. Any greater or lesser ratio of Hardener may negatively affect durability.

Yup, that's what I ended up doing. Went by the teaspoon, 11 to 1 ratio of duracoat to hardener, and was pretty pleased with the look of the results. I'm interested to see how durable it is, and plan on doing the paint fill tomorrow after it's set for a little longer.

Original:

PvvvaU1.jpg

pvbJtIy.jpg

Taping:

LWqFw5s.jpg

0AXSiNl.jpg

Painted:

PilQHqr.jpg

phsDxFy.jpg

vtaPR0e.jpg

V72Vg0K.jpg

Paint Fill:

AhStgNX.jpg

IOCwK9V.jpg

Overall, I learned a lot of lessons here. First, I probably should have done this in a warmer environment. It was like 51° in my garage when I sprayed it, and I'm sure that didn't help the curing (the DuraCoat instructions recommended 68-72° temps). Mid-spray, one of my nozzles clogged (probably wasn't helped by the cold), so I had to run upstairs to grab extra nozzles and another PreVal sprayer. I didn't mix enough paint, I think, so the sprayer nozzle wasn't reaching the pain in the bottle under the sprayer, so I don't think I got the paint very thick. The taping worked well, I pulled the tape off about an hour after painting, because I didn't want it to harden. That part turned out okay. The paint fill was remarkably easy, but I think it started to rub away a smidge of the black DuraCoat on the back of the putter near the "SCOTTY" and "CAMERON" lettering. If it chips or whatnot, it should be pretty easy to strip, as Sheriff mentioned. Overall, great lessons learned, fun experience, but I'd definitely love if it turned out to be more durable than I'm expecting.

• 3 months later...

Hi. I'm about to embark on a putter customisation myself. Picked up an old 2 ball white hot putter. The discs on top and the inserts are a bit old and worn but I've found a company mentioned in quite a few other posts on this site that sell replacement inserts (I believe they are 3D printed). I'm looking to paint the head a metallic blue colour and order some grey discs and face insert to install. Here's the bit I could do with some advice on. I'm thinking of using car/automotive spray paints and then maybe putting a clear coat over it. My thinking is simply car paint is fairly durable and to be honest how tough does the paint on a putter have to be I mean it's in a headcover while it's in the bag, it strikes a golf ball at slow speed (and it's supposed to be the insert that hits the ball) and once I've played the shot it's back in the headcover before going back in the bag.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...

Original:

PvvvaU1.jpg

pvbJtIy.jpg

Taping:

LWqFw5s.jpg

0AXSiNl.jpg

Painted:

PilQHqr.jpg

phsDxFy.jpg

vtaPR0e.jpg

V72Vg0K.jpg

Paint Fill:

AhStgNX.jpg

IOCwK9V.jpg

Overall, I learned a lot of lessons here. First, I probably should have done this in a warmer environment. It was like 51° in my garage when I sprayed it, and I'm sure that didn't help the curing (the DuraCoat instructions recommended 68-72° temps). Mid-spray, one of my nozzles clogged (probably wasn't helped by the cold), so I had to run upstairs to grab extra nozzles and another PreVal sprayer. I didn't mix enough paint, I think, so the sprayer nozzle wasn't reaching the pain in the bottle under the sprayer, so I don't think I got the paint very thick. The taping worked well, I pulled the tape off about an hour after painting, because I didn't want it to harden. That part turned out okay. The paint fill was remarkably easy, but I think it started to rub away a smidge of the black DuraCoat on the back of the putter near the "SCOTTY" and "CAMERON" lettering. If it chips or whatnot, it should be pretty easy to strip, as Sheriff mentioned. Overall, great lessons learned, fun experience, but I'd definitely love if it turned out to be more durable than I'm expecting.

i paint a little bit auto and motorcycle stuff, i can tell u that u would have been better off removing that insert and just did very light light see through coatings until it was as black as u wanted without filling in the lettering , or it could have been the durocoat ive never used it before but car paint would have been much thinner , but kudos for trying and enjoying doing it

Thought I'd give an update to the metal X project. Really enjoyed the whole process and it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be.

Sanded the putter down. Taped up the insert and applied 3 layers of grey primer and then 3 layers of Halfords ultra Matt finish camouflage spray paint. Filled in the alignment lines with acrylic paint. Then cut the putter to the size I wanted and put on a snsr 140cc grip.

It's not finished yet as I've still got to do the paint fill on the bottom of the putter but I'm really pleased with how it's turned out.

Can't decide whether to apply clear coat on it as I don't want to ruin that ultra Matt look.

• 2 years later...

Don't do it.  Powdercoating is extremely durable, but it is also a little thicker than the spray-on finishes discussed in this thread.  The edges of all of the stamping/engraving will become rounded and if you apply it to the face, you will not like the change in feel.

I use powdercoating for a few different applications and every time I am on PrismaticPowders.com, I go crazy with ideas for other uses.  I always feel that there HAS to be a way to get use out of some of those gorgeous powder colors.  Then, I come back to reality and go about my business, LOL.

Best of luck,

LaMont in AZ