Modern Iron Shaft Comparison Charts

I have compiled a list of most of the modern iron shafts from True Temper, Project X, KBS, Nippon, Aerotech, Mitsubishi, Fujikura, and UST and broken them down by the manufacturer's stated specs. I am doing this because I see a lot of posts lately on the topic of "I was fit for shaft X, but I was wondering shaft Y is the same?" As many of us know on here, we don't actually know until you try it. However, I figured I'd save us, and me, a lot of Google-Fu and just create a principal component analysis on these shafts comparing their raw weights vs. the manufacturer's stated launch vs. the manufacturer's stated spin. Charts like this do exist from Titleist, Taylormade, and Ping, however, it only takes into account the shafts they carry for one, and two, the charts differ slightly, as Ping says their Modus105 launches flatter than the Taylormade Modus105 (maybe, maybe not, I'm just giving an example).

A couple of things to consider. First, I did not include every shaft that every OEM makes. I do have a life and time commitments outside of golf :), so if your favourite shaft isn't on here (i.e. Shimada, Oban, FST, Accra) I apologize. Second, redundant shafts were removed. For instance, the Recoil 95 and the Recoil 95 Prototype are basically the same thing, so I only included the prototype. Another example, the Modus 105 and 120 are pretty much identical to the 1050GH and the 1150GH, so I cut the GH models out (and its tough to find these in fitting carts nowadays). Third, looking at the plots, it may appear in some areas that some clearly higher-launching shafts look like they appear lower launching than clearly lower launching shafts. Again, this is strictly based on reported OEM specs of launch and spin. An example of this is in the Stiff chart, the MCI 60 appears to be lower launching and spinning than the C-Taper or Project X. This is almost undoubtedly false; however, I also have to consider that the weight of the shafts is not strictly horizontal according to the graph, it is tilted slightly up and to the right, so that is what is partially causing the skew. Second, there are far more heavy-weight, low launching, low spinning stiff shafts than their are light ones, so the cluster cloud just looks tighter than it might actually be. Lastly, since this is reported shaft manufacturer data, it is good for a cross-company comparison. Having said that, please don't comment or PM me saying that you know for a fact the Recoil 110 Prototype is lower/higher spinning than the Aerotech i110 because your fitter/you extensively tested it. First, I'm just the messenger, and the saying goes "don't shoot the messenger", and two, as I said before and many have said before, shafts are funny and you never know how it is going to perform until you get it into the person's hands.

I did not include E.I. Profiles into this, as I don't have profiling software, and further, CPM readings were not taken into consideration either. So a BIG BIG BIG caveat to this is, do not take this chart as gospel. Just because you fell in love with the Mitsubishi Thump X doesn't mean the Modus 120X or C-Taper Stiff is going to be a godsend for you. Please just use this as a general reference guide to give you an idea of what shafts to try if you are interested in branching out to try something else.

Colour codes were done based on the most famous of each shaft line, so: Gold is True Temper lines, Dark Blue is Project X lines, Dark Red/Browny Red is KBS lines, Red is Nippon lines, Gray/Silver is Aerotech lines, Light Blue is Mitsubishi lines, Yellow is the UST lines, and Black is the Fujikura lines. There is one master list of all the shafts, and then they are broken down into their respected flexes. Ladies, senior, and regular are all on one chart.

Enjoy

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@CKalma   @Howie

Posted Images

Nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you.

Nice.

The launch and spin data from manufacturers, it is standardized in some way?

Thanks! For standardization, do you mean did I standardize it or do the shaft companies? For companies, no not really. They just place it in reference to their own current products. For me, I took them at their word and scored it as 1 = low 1.5 = low-mid 2 = mid 2.5 = mid-high and 3 = high. Same goes for the spin.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

Can you post these as high resolution pictures and without the WRX logo? Pretty much unreadable as they are.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

Can you post these as high resolution pictures and without the WRX logo? Pretty much unreadable as they are.

Without the logo I can do. High res, maybe not. I have them as JPEG, but I can change format if necessary.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Howie said:

Thanks for reposting and making this again available.

If one were to lay in more recent shaft releases- Project X LZ and $-Taper come to mind- where might they be positioned within the corresponding columns?

I just copy and paste with no real actual knowledge.  

Some Nippon nfo wb great

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

Hmm... I don't think that's quite the same type of chart the OP had. I want to say it would look more like this below but even more in depth.

image.png.1d4a007baecf78609d4a0f92d3e1a2e5.png.5d0db5cb159589c6555d203305fd8ffb.png

TM SIM 9* Aldila Rogue White 70TX 
TM M3 15* Aldila Tour Blue 95TX
TM P790 3, 2014 MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG T.I. X100
TM MG 52, 56 Hi-Toe 60 DG T.I. Onyx S400
TM Spider Tour Black