Club Champion Putter Fitting - Ohio

A new Club Champion opened in the Cleveland, OH area a few months ago. I’ve never been fit for a putter before, but I am seriously considering one. I’m wondering if paying Club Champion for a fitting is worth it.

I’ve read good reviews about Club Champion, but I fear they are similar to other big-box chain stores like Dick’s or Golf Galaxy who will pretty much hire anyone off the street regardless of how much golf knowledge they have.

I would ultimately like to know what type of putter is best for my putting stroke. I also know that I am left-eye dominant, but am right handed. I have never used a no-offset putter, but read that it might work best for a left-eye dominant player.

I like heavier, mallet-style putters with a large grip. I currently use and Odyssey 2-ball with a super stoke 5.0 grip.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ones in Illinois generally have somewhat knowledgeable personnel. I did a fitting in the downtown Chicago studio 5-6 years ago, and felt obligated to get the suggested putter (Cameron) from them despite it costing quite a bit more. It was shipped to me after being adjusted for loft and lie and arrived with substantial marks on from being bent. Obviously I wasn’t very happy.

Personally I’d suggest doing the fitting and if you feel comfortable that the person knows what they’re doing, you can probably trust the advice. You may be better off purchasing the actual equipment somewhere else though imo.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

My fitting at club champion went great

Cobra F9 Speedback 9.................................Mitsubishi PO 70 TX
Tour Edge CBX 13.5.......................................Rombax P95 X
Tour Edge CBX 18..........................................Rombax P95 X
Mizuno MP-18 FliHi 4,5................................DGTIX100
Mizuno MP-25 6-9........................................DGTIX100
Callaway MD Forged 46, 50, 56, 60........DGTIS400
Scotty Cameron 5.5M...................................Grip Master

The ones in Illinois generally have somewhat knowledgeable personnel. I did a fitting in the downtown Chicago studio 5-6 years ago, and felt obligated to get the suggested putter (Cameron) from them despite it costing quite a bit more. It was shipped to me after being adjusted for loft and lie and arrived with substantial marks on from being bent. Obviously I wasnt very happy.

Personally Id suggest doing the fitting and if you feel comfortable that the person knows what theyre doing, you can probably trust the advice. You may be better off purchasing the actual equipment somewhere else though imo.

I’ll definitely keep that in mind! The SAM putting lab is what really interests me.

1 Under Golf

2300 E. Kemper Rd, Unit A2

Sharonville, OH 45241

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.1undergolf.com

Person: Patrick Foppe

Phone: 513-404-1444

Flanigan Bilt Putters

Newbury,

Ohio

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.flaniganbiltputters.com

Person: Ken Flanigan

Phone: 216-466-1953

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

You could wait til they do the 50% sale again (check website; maybe not til spring though). They are fully trained professionals. I did a full bag fitting for $175 it took 5 hours and the SAM putting lab part took about 15 mins (currently charge $100 for putter fitting). It could take longer for you but I'd recommend doing the full bag fitting at the $175 price for the most bang for your buck. FYI the club builds are expensive but they do not pressure you to buy anything. I had a awesome experience and highly recommend them.

Based on your description you might stay in that mallet high MOI type putter or center shaft mallet. I'm right handed right eye dominant, always used plumber neck blades, was fit into a flow neck blade.

You could wait til they do the 50% sale again (check website; maybe not til spring though). They are fully trained professionals. I did a full bag fitting for $175 it took 5 hours and the SAM putting lab part took about 15 mins (currently charge $100 for putter fitting). It could take longer for you but I'd recommend doing the full bag fitting at the $175 price for the most bang for your buck. FYI the club builds are expensive but they do not pressure you to buy anything. I had a awesome experience and highly recommend them.

Based on your description you might stay in that mallet high MOI type putter or center shaft mallet. I'm right handed right eye dominant, always used plumber neck blades, was fit into a flow neck blade.

Awesome! Thx!

my experience was great as well. Brought in my putter which I have been pretty good with and was fit into something that's a mid mallet and more face balanced. Didnt buy from them because I have a putter from a friend I could use.

I gamed that putter for a while but went back to my old faithful. Well worth the 100$. Cant argue with the science. I just sink more putts with my old putter

I did a fitting at club champion in mid-January. The SamLab was a very exciting prospect and was the main reason I wanted to do the fitting. I was considering getting a custom putter so wanted to dial in my specs since my current putter was just off the rack.

When I got there the fitter talked to me a bit and then took my putter for measurements while I warmed up with some off the rack. A few minutes later we got my putter set up for the test. It consisted of 7 ten foot putts. I happened to sink all of them. The suggested specs matched my putter. And that was that. Paid $70 (got the special) to hit 7 putts in 15 minutes.

I suppose it was good to confirm my putter was a good fit, but 7 putts seems like an awful small sample size. Fortunately they did not try to upsell me on a putter, but I was hoping to at least tinker with other putters and see how they were different on SamLab.

It wasn’t a bad experience, but I was disappointed at the idea that 7 putts would constitute a fitting.

WITB:

D - PING G400Max

3w - PING G410

3h - PING G400

4-9i - PING i200

45*, 49*, 54*, 58* - Artisan Golf

P - Artisan Golf 0117

I did a fitting at club champion in mid-January. The SamLab was a very exciting prospect and was the main reason I wanted to do the fitting. I was considering getting a custom putter so wanted to dial in my specs since my current putter was just off the rack.

When I got there the fitter talked to me a bit and then took my putter for measurements while I warmed up with some off the rack. A few minutes later we got my putter set up for the test. It consisted of 7 ten foot putts. I happened to sink all of them. The suggested specs matched my putter. And that was that. Paid $70 (got the special) to hit 7 putts in 15 minutes.

I suppose it was good to confirm my putter was a good fit, but 7 putts seems like an awful small sample size. Fortunately they did not try to upsell me on a putter, but I was hoping to at least tinker with other putters and see how they were different on SamLab.

It wasnt a bad experience, but I was disappointed at the idea that 7 putts would constitute a fitting.

That’s great info! Only 7 putts using SAM is disappointing... My thought would be to use the SAM to compare other putters that I am trying out. That way I can really compare the other options to my current gamer.

It wasn’t a bad experience, but I was disappointed at the idea that 7 putts would constitute a fitting.

That’s great info! Only 7 putts using SAM is disappointing... My thought would be to use the SAM to compare other putters that I am trying out. That way I can really compare the other options to my current gamer.

SAM analyzed your stroke- it’s recommendations aren’t going to change if you hit 7 or 70 more putts. Unless your stroke is terribly inconsistent.

My putter fitting allowed me to test my gamer against many other offerings.... I really enjoyed it.

No real pressure to buy...

The best way for me to find a putter has been buying multiple and doing on course testing to compare strokes gained vs lost.

Did the same thing with driver. They let me hit all sorts of shafts, but hard to say how well I was hitting it that day, and if I tired with a certain shaft.

When my 3 wood shaft broke I went into a small mom and pop golf shop and asked them what they recommended.

They let me hit a bunch of shafts (their selection wasn't amazing) for free on their flightscope, until I found one I liked. Brought my driver the next day and did the same thing.

Ended up with tensei blue shafts in both, and found a cleveland classic 4.5 putter to beat my nike b2-01.

I have a b2-05 coming as a last challenge before the season starts

+1 for Club Champion, although I visited the store outside Boston for my full bag fitting the staff there was pure class.

Also... fast turnaround on delivery of new clubs...10 biz days for custom iron set and new shaft on my old driver/3 wood

Enjoy

Club Champion is making huge plays in the custom fitting world, and for the matter all of retail golf with their ever expanding store counts. It's about time golfers (not the ones on golfwrx) realized fitting is so important to your game. Cheers CC!