Fourball Question - Do you say "sorry" to your pards during a rd.?

Our club had a fourball tourney today and I S'd the bed more than a few times from 12ft and in with some pretty good birdie looks. Also missed a few 3-4 footers, one for bird, and the other for par pretty late in the rd.

We do live scoring and could see that we were in the thick of the gross flight all day long, only 1 or 2 off the lead. While my partner played probably the best rd. I've seen him play in 5 years, my hands of stone cost us big time.

I used to apologize after a bad shot/putt or hole...but over the last few years I've decided against apologizing during a fourball rd. and just focusing on the task at hand. Probably sounds like a jerk move so I'm curious as to how others approach this.

g400max 9*- [b]rogue 125 60tx[/b]
[b]m2 tour 15.8*[/b] - ad gp-8x
m2 tour 19.8* - [b]diamana s 83x[/b]
[b]4-gw ap1 712[/b] - s300's
[b]mp-t10[/b] 56.10 - s300
[b]tvd 60m[/b] - ti s400
piretti potenza ii [b]365g[/b] 34"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Just like playing ball. Someone gives you a good pass, you screw up the shot, you say my bad.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Tech A4, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide ES, 56*
Putter: Ping Classic Stainless Steel Anser 2
Ball: Srixon Z-Star
Bag: Ping Mascot

I'm Canadian: I apologize incessantly:

At the start of the round - Sorry your regular partner bailed and you got stuck with me.

During the good - I'm sorry I made that birdie, you'll get the next one

During the bad - I am sorry I said "good shot" and you ended up 10yds short of the green, but it looked good in the air.

During the ugly - I'm sorry I went in that bunker and then stayed in that bunker, and then bladed it across the green and then chunked it and left it on the fringe

At the end of the round - I apologize for the past 4hrs, can I give you my clubs as an act of contrition

4 of those 5, I have actually said :blush2:

But in an actual match - no - everyone knows everyone else is trying to play well.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

If my swearing gets a little too colorful I might apologize, but no reason to for any shots - in a scramble format last year my three wonderful companions listened to me briefly talk myself through hitting a 4h 200 yards, a little uphill and into the wind over water, them understanding all the while I was acting as if the wind was solidly behind me in some sort of clueless state of confusion while carrying on another conversation at the same time (in fact, pretty sure one of them said "you mean 3 wood?" which went right over my head) - instead of intervening they just watched me hit it and laughed and I'm still waiting for their apologies.

If my swearing gets a little too colorful I might apologize, but no reason to for any shots - in a scramble format last year my three wonderful companions listened to me briefly talk myself through hitting a 4h 200 yards, a little uphill and into the wind over water, them understanding all the while I was acting as if the wind was solidly behind me in some sort of clueless state of confusion while carrying on another conversation at the same time (in fact, pretty sure one of them said "you mean 3 wood?" which went right over my head) - instead of intervening they just watched me hit it and laughed and I'm still waiting for their apologies.

Its really too bad there’s no video. That sounds highly entertaining!

No.

On the first hole we tell one another no apologies. It's golf, we are all going to hit bad shots. Nothing to apologize for.

Yep, I've played with same partner in senior golf for 6 years. When we first teamed up, we told each other there is no need to apologize because we knew both of us will try our best and bad shots will happen. I love playing best ball tournaments and have won couple state 4-balls with several runner-up finishes.

I've witnessed few golfers berating their partner, I will not want a partner like that.

Bag of Hackin' Utensils 

TM SIM 10.5 GD XC-6 stiff

TM SIM 15 & 19 Diamana 75 stiff

TM M1 Rescue 22* stiff

TM P760 4-PW DG 120 S300

MG2 50, 54 & 60

2Ball 45" putter

Depends on who I'm playing with, with my dad, we'll say darn it or sorry or something and then move on from there to the next task. We play every shot as a team, both try and agree on the shot to play and the strategy for the hole so we're both in it together

[b]WITB[/b]
Taylormade SIM 9.5* Ventus Black 6X
Taylormade SIM 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X
Taylormade SIM 19* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X
Taylormade P760 4-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
Taylormade Spider X Tour

No apologizing. Ever.

We are all trying our hardest to do our best. Sometimes we aren’t good enough. If you aren’t going to try your hardest, then yes, apologize, and please leave.

One of my favorite sayings is, “If any of us were any good, we wouldn’t be playing HERE this weekend.” It’s the truth. They have tournies nearly every weekend for guys that are actually good at golf. The rest of us try our best, and fail often.

No apologies.

I'm Canadian: I apologize incessantly:

At the start of the round - Sorry your regular partner bailed and you got stuck with me.

During the good - I'm sorry I made that birdie, you'll get the next one

During the bad - I am sorry I said "good shot" and you ended up 10yds short of the green, but it looked good in the air.

During the ugly - I'm sorry I went in that bunker and then stayed in that bunker, and then bladed it across the green and then chunked it and left it on the fringe

At the end of the round - I apologize for the past 4hrs, can I give you my clubs as an act of contrition

4 of those 5, I have actually said :blush2:

But in an actual match - no - everyone knows everyone else is trying to play well.

WRX gold.

I also apologize that I also apologize to my team mate for hitting shots like a monkey with a club.

I play in a 3 man scramble monday beer league and I am apologizing all the time.

"I'm sorry I ever asked you to play on this team"

"I'm sorry you suck so bad under pressure"

"I'm sorry your life is complicated by being unable to raise the level of your performance with everything on the line over and over again"

etc etc.

So yeah, nothing wrong with apologizing.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I do in four ball. Usually after a poor hole, not a shot though.

Chapman is a different story. Clear rule on first tee that there are no apologies. Though after particularly poor efforts I may announce to my partner, “Skill check” “Take that” or something along those lines. And usually it still sounds like an apology.

I am so sensitive it’s disheartening.

I play in a 3 man scramble monday beer league and I am apologizing all the time.

"I'm sorry your life is complicated by being unable to raise the level of your performance with everything on the line over and over again"

etc etc.

Better have stainless steel balls to play with the evil clown...

etc etc.

Better have stainless steel balls to play with the evil clown...

Haha nah, just beer money really. I say most of that to myself anyway.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I believe it was a Sam Snead quote that he would apologize on the first tee and that would be it. No further need for apologies

No one on this board is Sam Snead.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Hybrid: Adams Idea Tech A4, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide ES, 56*
Putter: Ping Classic Stainless Steel Anser 2
Ball: Srixon Z-Star
Bag: Ping Mascot

I believe it was a Sam Snead quote that he would apologize on the first tee and that would be it. No further need for apologies

No one on this board is Sam Snead.

Snead also played off scratch in matches with amateurs, when he was obviously well into the +cap range.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.