Ebay buyer! You are kidding me?

LeftyLuck

I had been working on some additions to a set irons for a while. Knew I was going to sell them eventually though.

Decided to list them on ebay since they are fairly high price, and not on the BST because of lack of feedback. (I am a good seller though btw)

Took some pictures of them when I was home on Wednesday.

Listed on Thursday in the morning.

Got some interest, and a buyer said he would buy my irons at the full asking price. He just asked if everything was in the condition I said it was.

Obviously I said yes, and reminded him about how the iron faces were like new, and the shafts and grips were "clean" (Going off memory)

Shipped on Friday and they got there Tuesday. Only a few states over so got there quickly.

Buyer sent me an email today saying I lied about the condition. I said the shafts were S300's and "clean". I meant no dents or scuffs etc

I still had the shaft label stickies on them, and he wants to return it for a full refund for that reason only. (550+ dollars)

I only sell golf stuff, so I am about ready to leave ebay, and strictly use the BST.

Should I tell this buyer to just kick rocks since I am leaving ebay already?

This situation is ridiculous to deal with, and the lack of seller rights on the site is becoming laughable.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, call ebay and explain the situation. They can see the messages. There is no way they will side with the buyer over shaft labels. This is ludicrous. "Not as described" is for drastic misrepresentations of the item. Fight it tooth and nail. BTW, your feedback is completely fine here and you might've been able to sell for the same price and saved the 10% ebay gouge fee. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Do not respond to the buyer or do anything until you speak with an ebay representative. They should dismiss any claim this guy tries to file.

Could you PM me the buyer's ebay id?

I had been working on some additions to a set irons for a while. Knew I was going to sell them eventually though.

Decided to list them on ebay since they are fairly high price, and not on the BST because of lack of feedback. (I am a good seller though btw)

Took some pictures of them when I was home on Wednesday.

Listed on Thursday in the morning.

Got some interest, and a buyer said he would buy my irons at the full asking price. He just asked if everything was in the condition I said it was.

Obviously I said yes, and reminded him about how the iron faces were like new, and the shafts and grips were "clean" (Going off memory)

Shipped on Friday and they got there Tuesday. Only a few states over so got there quickly.

Buyer sent me an email today saying I lied about the condition. I said the shafts were S300's and "clean". I meant no dents or scuffs etc

I still had the shaft label stickies on them, and he wants to return it for a full refund for that reason only. (550+ dollars)

I only sell golf stuff, so I am about ready to leave ebay, and strictly use the BST.

Should I tell this buyer to just kick rocks since I am leaving ebay already?

This situation is ridiculous to deal with, and the lack of seller rights on the site is becoming laughable.

Refund him and be done with it OP. Otherwise he will file a claim and they will find in his favor.

Buyer's remorse? Maybe.

Real jerkwad? Yup, likely.

But regardless best to just get this tool out of your life.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Lots of pictures and fully explain the condition. If any schlep questions the condition, block them immiediately

Sadly how many times have we seen this sort of thing happen? Guy takes delivery and almost immediately wants to send them back knowing that odds are eBay is going to side their way regardless of any (attempted) explanations.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

If he requests a return under the justification "not as claimed" then the seller is on the hook for return shipping charges. Not sure how much ebay scrutinizes these claims but it seems they typically side with the buyer. Any time I'm selling anything I post a ton of high resolution photos and focus on the defects. Under represent and over deliver has worked for me. Some people just can't be made happy though.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

If he requests a return under the justification "not as claimed" then the seller is on the hook for return shipping charges. Not sure how much ebay scrutinizes these claims but it seems they typically side with the buyer. Any time I'm selling anything I post a ton of high resolution photos and focus on the defects. Under represent and over deliver has worked for me. Some people just can't be made happy though.

Well if the seller is being asked to pay return shipping I'd be upset and protest it with Ebay.

Buyers having the option to return is standard for online shopping and it should be expected as the normal cost of doing business. As a seller, I grant buyers the right to return for any reason. But they are responsible for paying return shipping.

Especially on a heavy, expensive to ship item like golf irons. The seller should not be on the hook for return shipping cost unless the item was absolutely terrible and not as described. I know I'm being captain obvious.

EBay should side with you on this one OP.

I will be fighting this. It is so ridiculous that the energy is actually worth it. I'm sure I will get an ebay custom service person who knows nothing about golf and will not see the craziness of the claim, but I will take that chance

Ask for higher ups and somebody that speaks clear English (if that's your 1st language). If you took plenty of clear pics and they are as you say, then F*CK him.

This..

As an experienced eBay seller I would tell the buyer to return them and you will refund his purchase price upon receipt of the clubs in the same condition they sent to him.

This way he pays return shipping. If he files a claim thru eBay you will have to refund him AND pay the shipping.

Sucks but that’s the game with eBay these days. Cut your losses, list again and hope you don’t get a dud buyer.

As ridiculous as it sounds, I probably would have mentioned the shaft bands and photographed them. Just a CYA, at the very least. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you're at fault here. I would really hope that eBay would find in your favor in that claim, I'm just not so sure I have faith that they will. I prefer to make sure that even the most "picky" buyer would have to outright make something up to return as a "not as described" situation.

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

xnwLzqE.gif

$20 GooGone??? You lose the internet today.

The only left handed iron sets sold in that time frame in that price range I find is Mizuno MP 18 SC but with PX (I believe he's a wrxer too). https://www.ebay.com...=p2047675.l2557

Nothing expensive shows up for DG S300.

I really hope this "$20" thing keeps going now. Classic.

I sold a spare screen for my wife's old MDX on eBay last year and had a similar incident. Here's the backstory...

In my case the buyer emailed me after receiving the screen and installing it saying that it didnt "fix" his problem, he had an error code that showed up on both the old and new screen. I politely explained to him that there was nothing wrong with my screen, he installed it and verified it worked, so it's his.

The next day I get an "Item does not work" , or whatever its called, case opened up on eBay against me. At this point I'm pissed, my item worked, he admitted to it in the first email, his computer was the problem with his car, not the screen.

Well, after seeing this email I decide to do some investigating, it turns out the place I shipped the screen to was a run down shack, it looked like whoever lived there was living on hard times. I realized then that this person was probably trying to fix their car as cheap as possible, I just happened to be the guinea pig.

So you can guess how ebay decided, of course in their favor. OP, you know what I did, I didn't argue with eBay, I ate the shipping costs, got my screen back and resold it. I ended up out at least $30-$40, but my life wasn't affected by it. This poor persons life most likely would have been had they paid for a screen that they didn't need.

The morale of my story...life's too short to get angry over the small things. Your buyer obviously suffers from buyers remorse, I would let him return the clubs and refund his money, then sell to someone else. If you can convince him to pay for return shipping, great, but if he goes to ebay you will be paying anyway. It sucks, but there's way more things to get angry over than shipping fees.

Prime example of why I avoid selling on eBay...

^^this^^ I HATE selling on eBay for this very reason. I learned the hard way to load LOTS of pictures, and use nebulous language when describing condition. Good luck.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Prime example of why I avoid selling on eBay...

^^this^^ I HATE selling on eBay for this very reason. I learned the hard way to load LOTS of pictures, and use nebulous language when describing condition. Good luck.

I even went one step further and specifically state that I do not rate or provide a rating for my clubs - and then I post shots of every angle I can, including the shafts.

OP - please do post a link to your auction though, would provide some more context.

TM Stealth2 10.5* - Ventus TR Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey 46*/50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I sent the buyer an email asking if he had buyer's remorse. He said he is a college student and really didn't have all the money to be spending on golf clubs. I said I would refund him 200 dollars back since I can understand his situation, but if he would have just said that in the beginning, I would have accepted a return. Just tell the truth is the moral of the story I guess.

Refund him $200 dollars? Why? You're beyond generous. I would of told him to pound dirt and forwarded the communication where he says that he can't afford it to eBay.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Refund him $200 dollars? Why? You're beyond generous. I would of told him to pound dirt and forwarded the communication where he says that he can't afford it to eBay.

I have been fortunate enough to have a little money to spend on hobbies, even at a young age. For the majority of college students, they don't. If golf is an outlet for this young adult, it is worth 200 dollars to me so he can enjoy a game he likes to play.

Ebay allows you 12 pictures, thats plenty for a set of irons. And yes, shoot everything including the length of say the 5 iron. I even shoot the end of the grips and even for the sale of a single wedge, i still go all 12 pictures. CYA and buyers are appreciative and I always state "Please review the many photos I have uploaded to satisfy yourself about the actual conditions of the clubs."

Now as for BST, sorry, this place want cheap deals and I am selling market prices so while I get zero bites here, boom, its just gone on ebay the next day or so.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Buyer always wins on eBay. Always.

- Does not matter how clear your photos are, or how clear your listing is. Forget about calling eBay, or challenging. You have 0% of winning as a seller.

- If the buyer wants to send something back to you ... it's coming back, period, end of story. Your Ppal account will be deducted.

Just part of the deal with eBay. There will always be a certain percentage of jerky buyers who know they can manipulate the system ... so they do. It's why it's my last resort for selling.

Woods/Fairways:  Callaway with Mitsubishi shafts

Irons:  Srixon with Dynamic Gold shafts