Club Champion question

kermitm

Hello golfwrxers

I recently did a driver fitting at Club Champion and was very impressed with the process. I thought they did a great job and were really knowledgeable.

My question has to do with pricing. I ordered the driver they recommended and am looking forward to receiving it. I was online researching the shaft I purchased and realized that the manufacturer sells the shaft for $199 and I was charged $335. Is this type of markup normal? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its possible. I can tell you this information i received this week. they told me a standard in season fitting is $350 and this is done by appointment only. I was also told a typical golf bag through them costs between $3,500 and $5,000. They also told me they don't believe in stock shafts. I'd say you have 2 options.1.Tell them the price from the manufacture and see what they say about it 2. Game it and be happy. I'd do the former because that's who I am. I have read several reviews online and it looks like they have a great product.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

I did a fitting at Cool Clubs about a year and a half ago.. it was overall pretty meh, but my "best fit" driver was a Ping G with a Tour AD MT6s which through them would have been a $1000 driver after all was said and done, since I had to buy the complete Ping driver and then the Tour AD shaft....If it had me carrying the ball 300 every time I may have considered it but that wasn't the case... I was able to find a head and shaft on here and ebay and basically had the same driver for under $400. I appreciate what they do but the reality is, you can have your driver and save a lot of money at the same time.

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I guess that I have become a lot tighter with my money as I have become older. After they fit me with a particular driver/shaft, I would have done some research and ordered it via the lesser expensive option unless the cost was fairly close. You can find someone to install the shaft into the head if that becomes necessary. I realize that companies have to make a profit, but $199 to $335 is crazy.

Did the cost include hotmelting and other add ons that inflate the price?

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

I got fit, picked mine up for about half off with eBay.

The fitted said most of the time people don’t care about the price and buy it anyways.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Thanks for your answers. They did talk about puring the shaft, but I said I was not paying for that and they said it was included. The club did not include any hot melt or other extras.

Well there is the reason for the price difference. You’re still paying for it. I don’t know what they charge for puring but I can ensure you it’s part of the upcharge you’re seeing.

For example, last year I got fitted the fitter charged me $25 over the manufacturer’s price (also confirmed from 3rd party retailers) which is in line with if I were to buy the shaft and pay for a builder the install the shaft.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

Hello golfwrxers

I recently did a driver fitting at Club Champion and was very impressed with the process. I thought they did a great job and were really knowledgeable.

My question has to do with pricing. I ordered the driver they recommended and am looking forward to receiving it. I was online researching the shaft I purchased and realized that the manufacturer sells the shaft for $199 and I was charged $335. Is this type of markup normal? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

how long did the fitting last?

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

If you pay for the fitting there's nothing wrong with getting the specs and ordering from Discount Dan's. No taxes or shipping, you'll have club with a full warranty and save 20-30%.

Will discount Dans warranty the club if it doesn't perform well or only for breakage?

Breakage for sure. Can't answer the other question.

If you pay for the fitting there's nothing wrong with getting the specs and ordering from Discount Dan's. No taxes or shipping, you'll have club with a full warranty and save 20-30%.

Will discount Dans warranty the club if it doesn't perform well or only for breakage?

I know CC has a performance guarantee- saving money is always nice but if the club is garbage it’d be nice to have someone to go back to - can’t really do that on eBay or here

I know CC has a performance guarantee- saving money is always nice but if the club is garbage it'd be nice to have someone to go back to - can't really do that on eBay or here

Just saw that on their website. Is that something new?

For what it’s worth, if your going to get fit for the perfect combination for you, wouldn’t you want it built perfectly as well? I’m not bashing but the build of the club is as important as the components used. I guess you could pick up a used head, a used shaft that may or may not have the correct tipping and have a local golf shop stick and glue it togather. But then aren’t you defeating the purpose of the “custom fit”experience?

Believe me, it’s not cheap and it’s not for everyone however they’re in business to make money. Period.

I’ve been to at least a half dozen custom fitters and I’m pretty sure their margin is about 30%.

So, could you buy the parts cheaper? Of course. But built to your specs, swing weight, Pur’d, and a warranty to bring it back if it’s not right? For me, that’s worth 30%. Also, and more importantly is the peace of mind and confidence knowing the club is right in every way for me. I never question the club after getting it custom fit and built to my specs for me. If you get custom fit than you don’t trust the “off the rack” club, but your ok buying it off the rack as long as its the head and shaft you got fitted for? Makes no sense to me...

YMMV

For what it's worth, if your going to get fit for the perfect combination for you, wouldn't you want it built perfectly as well? I'm not bashing but the build of the club is as important as the components used. I guess you could pick up a used head, a used shaft that may or may not have the correct tipping and have a local golf shop stick and glue it togather. But then aren't you defeating the purpose of the "custom fit"experience?

Believe me, it's not cheap and it's not for everyone however they're in business to make money. Period.

I've been to at least a half dozen custom fitters and I'm pretty sure their margin is about 30%.

So, could you buy the parts cheaper? Of course. But built to your specs, swing weight, Pur'd, and a warranty to bring it back if it's not right? For me, that's worth 30%. Also, and more importantly is the peace of mind and confidence knowing the club is right in every way for me. I never question the club after getting it custom fit and built to my specs for me. If you get custom fit than you don't trust the "off the rack" club, but your ok buying it off the rack as long as its the head and shaft you got fitted for? Makes no sense to me...

YMMV

He said $199 straight from the manufacturer, so not a used shaft. So CC is basically charging $135 to glue an adapter on.

Thanks

Will do sir...

For what it's worth, if your going to get fit for the perfect combination for you, wouldn't you want it built perfectly as well? I'm not bashing but the build of the club is as important as the components used. I guess you could pick up a used head, a used shaft that may or may not have the correct tipping and have a local golf shop stick and glue it togather. But then aren't you defeating the purpose of the "custom fit"experience?

Believe me, it's not cheap and it's not for everyone however they're in business to make money. Period.

I've been to at least a half dozen custom fitters and I'm pretty sure their margin is about 30%.

So, could you buy the parts cheaper? Of course. But built to your specs, swing weight, Pur'd, and a warranty to bring it back if it's not right? For me, that's worth 30%. Also, and more importantly is the peace of mind and confidence knowing the club is right in every way for me. I never question the club after getting it custom fit and built to my specs for me. If you get custom fit than you don't trust the "off the rack" club, but your ok buying it off the rack as long as its the head and shaft you got fitted for? Makes no sense to me...

YMMV

He said $199 straight from the manufacturer, so not a used shaft. So CC is basically charging $135 to glue an adapter on.

Glue it, swing weight it, pure it,..and bring it back if it’s not right..

Yeah, well worth 30% to me..

Again, I understand the argument on the savings. But most of us are head case guys and knowing the club is built for “me”???

Priceless...:)

Thanks

Will do sir...

YMMV

Glue it, swing weight it, pure it,..and bring it back if its not right..

Yeah, well worth 30% to me..

Again, I understand the argument on the savings. But most of us are head case guys and knowing the club is built for me???

Priceless...:)

30% still only brings you to about $260ish. CC is still charging another $75 per the OP. That’s not cool.

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* -  Ventus Black TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus Blue TR
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 19* - Ventus Blue TR
Mizuno 923 Forged - KBS Tour V
Titleist SM9 - 54 & 58 - KBS 610 Wedge
Odyssey TriHot 5k Triple Wide

I know CC has a performance guarantee- saving money is always nice but if the club is garbage it’d be nice to have someone to go back to - can’t really do that on eBay or here

If I was custom fit for the driver I would expect the result to not be garbage or something that I would return. Kind of the whole purpose of going there to begin with.

And if it does turn out to be garbage then said person knows it’s definitely them and their game and no piece of equipment — even one completely custom fit for them — is going to make a difference.

Most people upgrade at some point be it weeks or months down the road. Try selling that magical combo on here or eBay and see what it fetches. Or how much a golf shop or trade-in program is going to give you for it.

This is what I did: Get fit for 50% off during winter/off season, got the spec sheet, buy the same shafts and head from eBay, get installed in a local golf shop, save 50-80% of the club Champion price.

Having done a full fitting if I had to do it all over again this is exactly what I would do.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5*

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15*
Callaway Apex 18*

Titleist T150 4-GW
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* | 60*

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Raw shaft price only...he’ll need some additional parts to make it work....

Add tip.$30

Add grip $20-$30

Getting closer now...

I’m not defending it, but make sure it’s aplles to apples..

Then feel free to crush them....;)

$20-30 for a grip ? I just bought 10 CP2 Wraps from DSG for $30

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I simply can't afford to buy a $400-$500 driver, and put a $300 shaft into it. I have a hard time beliening it would really make my game that much better. I might be wrong, but my clubs are all stock with the exception of the lie on my irons, and I'm a 4. I just can't imagine getting that specific with specs would make me any better. I remember when we used to buy persimmon drivers based on the look, and the only decision was a S300 or R300. We didn't even know the loft!