Club Champion question

kermitm

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks

Will do sir...

For what it's worth, if your going to get fit for the perfect combination for you, wouldn't you want it built perfectly as well? I'm not bashing but the build of the club is as important as the components used. I guess you could pick up a used head, a used shaft that may or may not have the correct tipping and have a local golf shop stick and glue it togather. But then aren't you defeating the purpose of the "custom fit"experience?

Believe me, it's not cheap and it's not for everyone however they're in business to make money. Period.

I've been to at least a half dozen custom fitters and I'm pretty sure their margin is about 30%.

So, could you buy the parts cheaper? Of course. But built to your specs, swing weight, Pur'd, and a warranty to bring it back if it's not right? For me, that's worth 30%. Also, and more importantly is the peace of mind and confidence knowing the club is right in every way for me. I never question the club after getting it custom fit and built to my specs for me. If you get custom fit than you don't trust the "off the rack" club, but your ok buying it off the rack as long as its the head and shaft you got fitted for? Makes no sense to me...

YMMV

He said $199 straight from the manufacturer, so not a used shaft. So CC is basically charging $135 to glue an adapter on.

Glue it, swing weight it, pure it,..and bring it back if it’s not right..

Yeah, well worth 30% to me..

Again, I understand the argument on the savings. But most of us are head case guys and knowing the club is built for “me”???

Priceless... :)

30% still only brings you to about $260ish. CC is still charging another $75 per the OP. That’s not cool.

100% agree. CC fitting is good but what they ask for clubs are totally over-priced. They did not get my business. I bought components from eBay, took them to a quality local golf shop (he is in business for 30 years and his work is as good as anyone's), and get the same clubs for half the price. Lies, Lofts, Shafts, Swing Weights, etc are 100% accurate. Why wouldn't I do so? I have peace of mind. And I supported small local business.

CC and other like it do a great job, and others have already mostly made my point-

When you pay for the club from CC you get a performance guarantee along with everything getting built for you from scratch.

I know many people hate this example but its the same with cars. Go to the dealer ship, test drive, buy new - PAY a PREMIUM.

or...

Wait a bit, search around, shop around spend your TIME ( not money but whats your time worth ) and then buy at a SAVINGS

I built clubs for a living for many years at a place like CC and many many times people had no issue with price, mostly well off people and serious golfers that saw the value in the added service and knowing they were getting exactly what they "needed" and were fit for. These people didn't have the time and / or didn't want to spend it searching around to say $200 ( random value ). They wanted that clubs ASAP built for them. It was my job to both fit and build these clubs but also give added service. This is what shops like CC do. Build from scratch to spec simple as that. Any shop like that has overhead and costs money to keep all the demos, Trackman, CG Quad etc up to date along with premium balls to hit all inside a nice environment. Not to mention pay knowledgeable staff to work there.

Since I build my own clubs I personally save a bunch by doing my own work and sourcing parts ( I'm lucky ) but not a lot of people have that option which is how CC and others like it stay in business. Superior service, one on one fittings by appointment and performance guarantee. That's where the value comes from not just the parts.

If you see value in sourcing part by all means - I mean that with 100% ZERO snobbery, I know I was always someone that went that route personally because I had the time, but the price is about the value and those that find it in what CC does.

CC and other like it do a great job, and others have already mostly made my point-

When you pay for the club from CC you get a performance guarantee along with everything getting built for you from scratch.

I know many people hate this example but its the same with cars. Go to the dealer ship, test drive, buy new - PAY a PREMIUM.

or...

Wait a bit, search around, shop around spend your TIME ( not money but whats your time worth ) and then buy at a SAVINGS

I built clubs for a living for many years at a place like CC and many many times people had no issue with price, mostly well off people and serious golfers that saw the value in the added service and knowing they were getting exactly what they "needed" and were fit for. These people didn't have the time and / or didn't want to spend it searching around to say $200 ( random value ). They wanted that clubs ASAP built for them. It was my job to both fit and build these clubs but also give added service. This is what shops like CC do. Build from scratch to spec simple as that. Any shop like that has overhead and costs money to keep all the demos, Trackman, CG Quad etc up to date along with premium balls to hit all inside a nice environment. Not to mention pay knowledgeable staff to work there.

Since I build my own clubs I personally save a bunch by doing my own work and sourcing parts ( I'm lucky ) but not a lot of people have that option which is how CC and others like it stay in business. Superior service, one on one fittings by appointment and performance guarantee. That's where the value comes from not just the parts.

If you see value in sourcing part by all means - I mean that with 100% ZERO snobbery, I know I was always someone that went that route personally because I had the time, but the price is about the value and those that find it in what CC does.

I respect your opinion and experience. But questions remain. Can you help explain why they quote me $110++ per iron shaft ($80 + $30 Pure-ing fee + tax) when the MSRP is $50? MSRP is what you pay from other retail stores, not eBay. On eBay, I can easily get $35-$40 per shaft from reputable sellers. Covering their overhead cost is not a justified answer, because it is PAID fitting and I already paid $175 for the fitting.

I had a similar experience, awesome fitting but I felt the shafts were expensive.

What you get for the markup is the puring, shipping, instillation, and a kind of quality guarantee. You can watch them cut it and weight it however you want.

My driver length fitted at 44.5†and I watched them put the grip on the shaft lined up with the pure sticker, prep the shaft, place the head on and weigh it. They then mixed lead and beads into the epoxy, then weighed it again right away, added a little more epoxy mix and it came out to be exactly a d2 which is what I wanted. Very detail oriented.

Later I ordered a new 3 wood shaft and watched the process again. I was fit for a hybrid shaft too but haven’t purchased it yet.

They told me too that if something from the fitting wasn’t working on the course to come in and spend a session with them on trackman to find out what’s going on.

I bought the driver with a stock shaft at a large retail store to take advantage of trade-in for my old stick. The shafts I ordered directly through Club Champion.

You pay a decent mark up from the retail price of the shaft but if you bought the shaft through another retailer the puring would be an upcharge, the instillation will cost you, and club builders vary by skill... so you really do get what you pay for at Club Champion.

Plus, they really taught me a lot; as I asked a million questions throughout the fittings. And I tried all sorts of shafts I had never tried, Oban Kyoshi, Matrix Ozik, new Aldila NV, etc. Most retailers don’t have those shafts in different flexes available for fittings. The hybrid shaft I was fitted for I hadn’t even heard of, it’s an Accra FM something.

Note: If you have not already, you should go for a putter fitting. $100 and your game will change forever. My stroke has never been so easy and the roll is phenomenal. It also saved me money because I don’t want any other putter than the one I have now. New stuff comes out and I don’t care.

Taylormade SIM
Titleist TS2 15
Titleist 818 H1 19
Mizuno HM Pro 5-AW
Callaway PM 54 and 58
Odyssey #1

or...

I respect your opinion and experience. But questions remain. Can you help explain why they quote me $110++ per iron shaft ($80 + $30 Pure-ing fee + tax) when the MSRP is $50? MSRP is what you pay from other retail stores, not eBay. On eBay, I can easily get $35-$40 per shaft from reputable sellers. Covering their overhead cost is not a justified answer, because it is PAID fitting and I already paid $175 for the fitting.

Don’t compare CC prices to EBay. MSRP is the price of the shaft, then you have to pay for installation.

or...

Don't compare CC prices to EBay. MSRP is the price of the shaft, then you have to pay for installation.

Bingo, we have a winner. $50 MSRP + $30 PURing charge + $15 labour to glue it and weight it properly + $15 for the grip, most likely. Your local hack and glue repair shop run out of your girlfriend's cousin's best friend's uncle's garage is charging you retail price and then slapping it in whatever head you give them, with no consideration of weight, swing weight, etc. I have seen A LOT of bad repair work in my day come through from supposed "club fitters" that are off the beaten track. Just because YOU CAN get it done cheaper elsewhere, doesn't mean that is the going rate for proper repair jobs.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

In essence its kinda the same as getting windshield wipers at a quick lube place.

Where I go they offer wipers for $29 installed...Thats CRAZY

I buy wipers at Costco when I go ( that way I always have extras ) for something like $8.99. In the case of the wipers they are charging for install plus a BIG premium on convenience - here you go new wipers!

Here on GolfWRX we ARE the minority of educated and plugged in golf consumers. We know where to find deals and unlike so many golfers, many of us are able to - or know someone that can build clubs and source parts.

Another example - I know a tiny bit about cars and know "how to" change the oil but I have ZERO desire to go out of my way to buy oil, buy a filter, get under my car, drain, properly dispose of the oil and refill. So I pay a premium to get that done at a garage. I'm sure there is a car forum somewhere where someone would say I'm an idiot for not doing it myself but when I need it done i want it done ASAP.

They charge mostly retail and it's ala carte pricing...so they charge for each of the components.

I went to True Spec Golf and they fit me for a Callaway Rogue with the Aldila Elite Blue Rogue shaft and a midsize Tour Wrap.

Driver Head = $499.99

Shaft = $299.99

Grip = $10

At this point it's not likely I would find a Rogue head for less than $499.99. But I could online and find the Rogue shaft for $79 to $150. I'm sure if I got it directly from Aldila..or at least when the Aldila Rogue was new it would cost $299.99. But it's a different story now. And the midsize Golf Pride G2 Wrap goes for about $6.99 retail.

The pricing is for people that are not interested in assembling the club themselves to save money or they are just unaware. I think these brand agnostic fitting companies basically understand that most people are not going to purchase equipment from them and they make most of their money from the fittings themselves.

RH

With the internet information these days, no business could up charge an unreasonable margin on their product or service.

Unless of course, there is enough difference to warrant the differentials.

Get the facts and the figures, if the numbers don't make sense to you, then find another way. You paid for the fitting so you don't owe anyone anything beyond that. Some fitting will credit part or the whole fitting fee back into the equipment cost if you order from them after the fitting, which is fine.

If you want to support your local business and not feel bad about spending extra to do so, good for you and please go ahead.

I always believe in the theory of leaving some on the table instead of draining the last drop from your business encounters. The gesture will go a long way and bring in additional business.

There are Club Champion people on this forum with motivation to sway you toward their stuff. I'd say this: If you want super tight, tour tolerances I'd stick with the CC order. If you want a much better price, and tolerances that are pretty good, I'd have them order the club directly from the manufacturer built to their specs with the shaft you were fitted for. If they say they can't do it, take your specs to a PGA SS and have them place the order.

This is exactly the reason I've been hesitant to do a fitting at CC or a similar place. $3,500-$5,000 is a hefty amount for me at this juncture in life. Here in the next couple of years--probably when I start looking for new irons--I plan on doing a complete fitting. If that's at CC I'll probably take what they recommend and source everything myself (used or otherwise). I just can't get over how much upcharge everything has. I like what they do and am happy to pay the fitting fee and even the price to have the clubs assembled... But to pay full retail for everything (Including the stock shafts) PLUS a huge mark up is something I'm not willing to do... Just my thoughts...

Purring is a waste of money on high-end graphite shafts today. subscribed to golf shaft review, Russ checks all the shafts and most of today’s shaft are as close to round as possible. Puring was needed back 10-15 years ago but today not so much. Steel might be a different story but I graphite in irons so never looked into it.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Purring is a waste of money on high-end graphite shafts today. subscribed to golf shaft review, Russ checks all the shafts and most of today’s shaft are as close to round as possible. Puring was needed back 10-15 years ago but today not so much. Steel might be a different story but I graphite in irons so never looked into it.

Even then there was no evidence that pureing actually worked. But as Tom Wishon said...it really couldn't hurt as long as you can afford it.

RH

Even then there was no evidence that pureing actually worked. But as Tom Wishon said...it really couldn't hurt as long as you can afford it.

RH

This is what I’ve always heard, “it can’t hurt.” Not enough for me to pay for it...

Probably should check with peoples clubs...buy shaft tip and grip included and dude knows his stuff. Anyone advocating giving away cash for "knowledge" are also into ponzi sales.

As an aside, when I emailed cc about fitting got no response.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

This is exactly the reason I've been hesitant to do a fitting at CC or a similar place. $3,500-$5,000 is a hefty amount for me at this juncture in life. Here in the next couple of years--probably when I start looking for new irons--I plan on doing a complete fitting. If that's at CC I'll probably take what they recommend and source everything myself (used or otherwise). I just can't get over how much upcharge everything has. I like what they do and am happy to pay the fitting fee and even the price to have the clubs assembled... But to pay full retail for everything (Including the stock shafts) PLUS a huge mark up is something I'm not willing to do... Just my thoughts...

I just went through an iron fitting last week at the Club Champion location in Denver (Highland Ranch) when I was on vacation. Their fitting sessions are absolutely elite. There is not another place on the planet where you can literally hit every shaft/head combination for most every make/model in every club category. I was able to hit Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made, Miura, Wilson, and PXG with multiple shaft options. I paid $150 for my fitting and think it was absolutely worth every penny.

This is where I was disappointed. I found the perfect iron/shaft combination. They wanted to charge me full retail for just the head $125. They were going to upcharge me an additional $85 for a Modus Pro 120 shaft. They were pushing puring at $30/club, and $10 per grip. All in all, I was looking at about $2400 for an 8 club set (taxes and fitting included). I did not commit on the spot (they were going to wave the fitting fee if I paid on the spot). I elected to not commit and do my homework. I found that I could order my clubs from a local fitter who would charge me $100 for the head and $40 for the shaft unpured, $55 pured (with SST report), and $7 for the grip. The local fitter will have my clubs built by the weekend, whereas Club Champion was going to be a minimum of 10 days. All in all, after the fitting cost, I'm saving $700 by not buying direct from Club Champion after my fitting cost.

The point of this post is to alert you, the consumer, that you can get the same product that Club Champion offers at a significantly reduced cost. I would strongly recommend paying for their fitting. It's an absolutely awesome experience and the data I received was beyond what I expected . However, do your homework, be a smart consumer, find a local fitter, and save yourself some money.

RH

This is what I’ve always heard, “it can’t hurt.” Not enough for me to pay for it...

I was at a local trackman studio with the guy who is building me my set based upon my Club Champion fitting. I asked him about puring my shafts. He showed me a Atmos Black 7 shaft (same exact shaft that I have in my driver) that was pured by Club Champion. He has a contraption that acts similar to puring with a laser on the end that shoots onto a graph on the wall. He lined up the club where CC said it was pured and the thing wobbled in a circle. He moved it 60 degrees clockwise and the line was as straight as I could see with the naked eye. He does this with every graphite shaft he installs, regardless of whether it is pured or not. He found that around 25% of the shafts that are "pured" by Club Champion aren't even close to being accurate.

He then did the same thing with a X, S, and R flex steel shaft. He continuously "flicked" the shaft with this contraption and rotated the shaft. There was not one instance where one degree looked different than the other with the naked eye. He recommended puring every graphite shaft you want to use. He also recommended verifying the puring is accurate with a qualified fitter. He was not as big a believer in puring steel shafts and absolutely does not put 100% faith in the puring process.

If you wanted to take his word and it makes you feel better go for it, lots of others disagree.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1451690-is-pureing-the-shaft-a-scam/

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

Hello golfwrxers

I recently did a driver fitting at Club Champion and was very impressed with the process. I thought they did a great job and were really knowledgeable.

My question has to do with pricing. I ordered the driver they recommended and am looking forward to receiving it. I was online researching the shaft I purchased and realized that the manufacturer sells the shaft for $199 and I was charged $335. Is this type of markup normal? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

When you say the "the manufacturer sells the shaft for $199", do you mean the shaft manufacturer? Or do you mean that the club manufacturer offers the shaft at a $199 upcharge?

If it's that latter, then maybe the retail price of the shaft is something close to the $335 you were quoted. If it's the former, even after adding some money for the adaptor, that sounds like a very significant mark up, and maybe is something you can discuss with them to reduce the price (maybe there was a recent price reduction from the manufacturer for that shaft and CC hasn't updated their price list?)

I was fit for new irons at CC at the end of last year and had a great experience, other than the sticker shock of what they quoted me for my 4-GW set of Apex combos.

I wound up sourcing the clubs (with the wrong shafts) in like new condition from Callaway preowned, and then had CC do the build with the shafts (C-Taper 120 S), lofts, lies and swing weights I was fit into.

I looked at Golf Works' site to get an idea of what retail was before I asked CC to build them, and I think the shafts were around $38 each. The Club Champion cost for the shafts including assembly to my spec was $65 per club, excluding puring, which I opted out of. So basically a charge of $27 per club to cut the shafts, assemble the clubs, and get the swing weight perfect for each club. I specced Golf Pride New Decade grips and they charged $13 each including installation, so maybe a $3 charge per club to install vs what I could buy them for and install myself.

Based on that, it cost me around $250 (plus the retail cost of the components) to have Club Champion do the build. For that, I got back a set of clubs with length, loft, lie and swing weight perfectly in line with my specs, and the quality of the work is excellent (perfect ferrules, grip and label alignment etc). That $250 also gets me their Perfect Fit guarantee that says if the clubs don't work for me they'll make it right. I also get free loft and lie adjustments for the life of the clubs. To me, that's pretty good value. I could have saved maybe $90 by having another club builder do the work, but I would have had none of the after sales stuff I'm getting from Club Champion.

All in, including tax, the clubs wound up costing me $1,300. Coincidentally, that's almost exactly what they would have cost had I custom ordered to my specs a new set from Callaway. I was very happy with the process, overall cost and value for money.

A driver is a bit of a different proposition, but I still think you can look at your different options for sourcing the components, (CC will still do the build if you source the head elsewhere) look at what you'd get in terms of value from CC doing the build, and then figure out how much it's worth to you to have them do the work.

The opinions in this thread seem to be from a few camps.

1. Those that have paid a premium price for a club fitting and paid the up-charge ( List Price Plus ) for the club.
  2. . Those that have the cash and don't care what the price is to potentially improve their game.
  3. Those that are savvy shoppers or have access to components and either have the skills to build or have a trusted club builder.

I fall in the 3rd group and although I have the cash and I value the Brick and Mortar stores List price Plus is not something I'm willing to pay.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I'm going in to my local CC Wednesday for SAM putter, irons and wedges, can't wait, will update after fitting.

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

I am considering a driver fitting but am now hesitant. If you go to CC do not tell them beforehand if you are not interested in purchasing that day. They knows those who do not purchase at the time of the fitting most likely will not come back to purchase. My friend went and did this and he felt as though the fitter was trying to push him through the fitting as he was asking to try different stuff. I see the value of the fitting at $150 but see no value in paying the astronomical prices they charge. The value is in the fitting and data. If you are willing to deal with the sales pitches then it may be worth it in my opinion. I am not sure it is for me but will decide soon.

I just went through an iron fitting last week at the Club Champion location in Denver (Highland Ranch) when I was on vacation. Their fitting sessions are absolutely elite. There is not another place on the planet where you can literally hit every shaft/head combination for most every make/model in every club category. I was able to hit Callaway, Titleist, Taylor Made, Miura, Wilson, and PXG with multiple shaft options. I paid $150 for my fitting and think it was absolutely worth every penny.

This is where I was disappointed. I found the perfect iron/shaft combination. They wanted to charge me full retail for just the head $125. They were going to upcharge me an additional $85 for a Modus Pro 120 shaft. They were pushing puring at $30/club, and $10 per grip. All in all, I was looking at about $2400 for an 8 club set (taxes and fitting included). I did not commit on the spot (they were going to wave the fitting fee if I paid on the spot). I elected to not commit and do my homework. I found that I could order my clubs from a local fitter who would charge me $100 for the head and $40 for the shaft unpured, $55 pured (with SST report), and $7 for the grip. The local fitter will have my clubs built by the weekend, whereas Club Champion was going to be a minimum of 10 days. All in all, after the fitting cost, I'm saving $700 by not buying direct from Club Champion after my fitting cost.

The point of this post is to alert you, the consumer, that you can get the same product that Club Champion offers at a significantly reduced cost. I would strongly recommend paying for their fitting. It's an absolutely awesome experience and the data I received was beyond what I expected . However, do your homework, be a smart consumer, find a local fitter, and save yourself some money.

You found a guy to sell you heads under MAP? That’s a quick way for an account to get shut down.

14 clubs

I am considering a driver fitting but am now hesitant. If you go to CC do not tell them beforehand if you are not interested in purchasing that day. They knows those who do not purchase at the time of the fitting most likely will not come back to purchase. My friend went and did this and he felt as though the fitter was trying to push him through the fitting as he was asking to try different stuff. I see the value of the fitting at $150 but see no value in paying the astronomical prices they charge. The value is in the fitting and data. If you are willing to deal with the sales pitches then it may be worth it in my opinion. I am not sure it is for me but will decide soon.

I say go do it. I had a great fitting at a CC today. No sales pitch at all really. Printouts of everything at the end and they let me know how things work if I order through them. Awesome experience.

I'm going in to my local CC Wednesday for SAM putter, irons and wedges, can't wait, will update after fitting.

Make sure to try a SeeMore putter. They aren't for everyone, but it is a great opportunity to test them out. I love mine. Good luck with your fitting. I loved every second of mine. Well, the blisters that were starting in hour 4 weren't cool, but the rest was awesome.

Hambone, I'm getting a credit per club since he's going to order the set complete with a standard shaft that is a popular sell, remove the shaft and resell it, and build it for me from there per my CC specs.

There are multiple ways to work the system and provide your customers with an equal product at a more affordable price point.

Hambone, I'm getting a credit per club since he's going to order the set complete with a standard shaft that is a popular sell, remove the shaft and resell it, and build it for me from there per my CC specs.

There are multiple ways to work the system and provide your customers with an equal product at a more affordable price point.

He is quite concerned about you getting a deal. That's something I always wondered about CC. If they charge you full price for the club, what do they do with the shaft that comes with it?

He is quite concerned about you getting a deal. That's something I always wondered about CC. If they charge you full price for the club, what do they do with the shaft that comes with it?

The shafts often end up on here in the BST. Like I said, a CC high up lurks in these forums posing as one of us. He's on this thread and has sold stuff on the BST. Maybe he could chime in?